View Poll Results: ???
I own a Tech and would not buy a Base.
71.05%
I own a Tech but looking back, I should've bought the Base instead.
2.63%
I own a Base and would not buy a Tech.
21.05%
I own a Base but looking back, I should've bought the Tech instead.
5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Tech vs. Base

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Question Tech vs. Base

I know this topic was covered a few times in multiple threads but I thought that maybe a poll would not only be fun, but would also be helpful to me and others:

I am currently shopping for a new ride and the '09 TSX is very high on my list, and may very well be the car I go with. My one dilemma at this point is Tech vs. Base, though. The Tech package includes a lot of neat things but I am not sure it is worth the $3100+ premium right out of the gate. The Tech package includes (right from Acura's site) and my comments:
  • Acura Navigation System with rearview camera and Traffic Rerouting™** - Navi would definitely come in handy, but I'm not sure how often I would use it. The rearview camera is a really neat feature but not 100% necessary for me.
  • Acura/ELS Surround® 415-watt Premium 10-speaker Sound System with 6-disc in-dash CD, DVD-Audio, MP3, WMA and DTS® changer, and Dolby® Pro Logic® II - I have heard from some that they can't really tell a big difference with most media; I will test it out myself and see what I think.
  • AcuraLink® satellite communication system with Real-Time Traffic and Weather† - Neat feature for sure.
  • Voice Recognition system - I've never found a system that works great so I don't care about this.
  • GPS-linked, solar-sensing, dual-zone automatic climate control system** - Don't need this at all.
  • Note Function for XM® - I won't be getting XM in my next car because I am very disappointed w/ their new lineup.
  • Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® wireless telephone interface with phone book exchange - I'm happy just w/ the regular BT but this is definitely a cool feature.
  • Automated Appointments™ - Don't really care too much about this.
I'm a total gadget guy and love technology, but as you can see by the above, my practical side is finding it hard justifying the $3100+ for many features I will not use. Also, when buying a new car you always take a hit on depreciation and I know and will accept this if I go the new route, but Tech packages seem to take an even bigger hit. I've been coming across some used '09s already and I am amazed at how quickly the Tech price dropped.

*Side note: if I come across a used '09 with the color combo I want and it has the Tech package, this all will be a moot point and I wouldn't hesitate to scoop one up for a good price.

I do think the Tech dash looks much better, and I do think that a car of this caliber should have these features to "complete" it. But again, the added cost (and then paying 6% tax here in PA on top of that yet), I dunno...

Any input from those that were in the same boat as me? Any input from the current owners?

Last edited by ESHBG; 01-01-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here in Canada, we have three trim levels - base (you don't get that in the US, it is really bare bones), premium (equivalent to the base in US), and tech.

I love my tech package. I didn't think it would be worth it, but my fiancee is a gadget / technology freak, and he wanted it. Now that I have it, I wouldn't want the car without it.

I didn't think I'd use the back up camera, but I do. And I must say (from my experience so far) the voice recognition system works really well. I love being able to change the radio to whatever station / setting I want without having to push any buttons. Very star trek / uss enterprise-ish. Also, the navi screen looks great, no matter if you are using the GPS or not. And so far the GPS has worked like a charm (I like it better than my Garmin Nuvi GPS unit).

Just my

Oh, and FYI: maybe someone could confirm this, but I don't think that the real time traffic / weather stuff works unless you subscribe to XM. Something to keep in mind.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
$3000 is 10% of car price. It should not be that much if u consider buying individual parts buying from Market. Like Rearview camera $500 and 8inch Navigation around $800. but than it is the integration of whole Audio/A/C/Navigation controls and there command through voice recognition that is worth the price.
Rearview camera is quite handy in tigh parking spots backingup. I can safely drive the car as close to back car possible so i waste less time possible in parking as i have more space left in front to play with. It is very important in SF bayarea. Rearcrew camera is also handy when there is too much morning dew or fog in morning and i have to see things far away.

They have definitely improved the voice recognition capabilities so u can atleast go through desired menus faster and use jog dial rarely. The place where navigation screen is located it does not make any sense to have touch screen. The desired database is comprehensive (List function will give the point of interest faster) as i could locate Kragen autoparts store right on during driving which you cannot play with cellular phone while driving and cellular phone is kind hard to look at taking directions. Screen size of cell phone is small and it will definitely close navigation if u touch anything. Cellular phone navigation is like backup if main navigation system fails.

I havent put CD into music system so i cant comment on music upgrade but i did transfer my whole phone book in one touch of button.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Racer

for the rearview camera and the navigation alone its worth the 3100 the sound system is great also. I didn't even hesitate when it came to getting the tech package.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:06 AM
10th Gear

Had the dealer demo (base) for 4 days while I was waiting for my car (tech) to arrive.

Although the base was hella cool, I cannot live without the tech in the tech model as its freakin amazing!!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 01:08 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Get the Tech, it's worth it.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:47 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
let me be a sales person....
its 3000 extra, about 10% increase on the MSRP.. now you arent going to be paying MSRP.. so forget about how much more it costs than the base.

Second.. for every 1000 increase in price, you pay 20 in premium increase, so to have tech your monthly payment goes up by 60bucks over the period of your purchase plan.

Now I'll say dont fret around with the non tech, because seriously the tech offers so much more, infact it completes the car. I drove the base and the tech, and being a tech guy like myself, get the tech.. trust me you wont be disappointed. I find i use the GPS far more than anything else. I used to have a portable gps on hand before (in the trunk, pulled it out when needed) but it was a pain cause i had to stop to get unit out and plug it in and what not. I like the simplictic everything works deal.

Go tech!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:54 AM
Instructor

I ordered my car (could not get the color/manual set-up that I wanted) as a base because I had a hard time justifying the added cost. I waited 3 months, and when it came in, it had the tech package in it because the dealership had mistakenly ordered it as a tech. They ended up giving me the upgrade for free.

Now that I have it, I would pay the difference, it does complete the car.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:07 AM
Intermediate

Base owner here.
I used the tech on a test drive and generally liked it. I had a goal to keep my out-the-door costs under 30K, so the tech wasn't happening anyway. I think the base model dash is a little busy, and I find the tech even worse. It's a nice system though, just wasn't happening this time. I am glad they left the usb audio and bluetooth integration features on the base model.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I opted to get the base rather than tech for a few reasons.

1. My previous car was a G35 Sedan with navigation and I NEVER used it.
2. As a result of number 1, I couldn't find myself spending $3K on something I seldomly ever used.
3. I loved the way the Aero Sport kit looked and decided my money was much better spent on that rather than the tech package.

I don't regret my decision at all. Had the bluetooth and iPod USB inetrface not been available on the base, then I would have certainly bought the tech.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
i got the Tech for 29,900 without tags, title. with all that stuff including some GAAP, it came out to be around 34K
Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I got a tech because my last three cars either didn't offer it or there weren't any around when I was looking.

Now, all I have to do & shift, shave & smoke instead of shift, shave, smoke, hold a cell phone and fool around with the iPod while driving. So theoretically, I'm 40% safer on the road.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
Now, all I have to do & shift, shave & smoke instead of shift, shave, smoke, hold a cell phone and fool around with the iPod while driving. So theoretically, I'm 40% safer on the road.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! It is very helpful in my decision process. And I see that as I type this, there is one vote in the "I own a Tech but looking back, I should've bought the Base instead." column. Would the person who voted this way care to explain why? I'd love to hear it!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tech vs Base.

My wife has a Premium TSX and I have a Tech with Aero Kit. If I had to do it again I would do exactly the same thing. Love the Nav system and with the ability to interact with pretty much all the controls in the car with voice, it's pretty hard to beat.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

I had a base 05 TSX . . .In December 07 I got my wife an 08 MDX with Tech package . . .I knew right there that the next Acura I got was going to have the Tech package, no questions asked . . .Picked up an 09 TSX Tech (& 6MT) a few weeks ago and am loving it . . .Stereo thumps amd the nav is great . . .as for the rear view camera I will onlt say this . . .The one thing I noticed in both my TSXs is that when backing up, you can't see your trunk . . .If the 09 didn't have a back-up camera I was going to put a wing on the back just to make parallel parking easier . ..
Old 01-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well I test drove both back to back and played with the Tech for a while. While I did find the features cool and the screen looks way better than the Base's, there were some things I didn't like about it, and as LaserBoy said, it made the dash even busier. And when I add that on top of how often I will **actually use** everything and how fast the novelty will probably wear off, I think I may be focusing my attention towards the Base.

Thanks again for the feedback, everyone! We'll see what kind of numbers I end up with and that of course will have a big factor on what I decide, but they've been pretty darn good thus far w/ very little negotiating. See, there is an upside to this crappy economy!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm late to the party, but I had a first gen. TSX and kicked myself in the ass for not going with nav. during my ownership, but not when I traded it in. The dealer gave me the trade in offer and said "the car has nav right?" and I informed him it didn't, they didn't change their offer!

The new TSX has even more goodies in the tech package, if the speaker problem is narrowed down and no one has transmission problems(besides the noise) I will probably pull the trigger on a tech. package car this time around, though I plan on keeping it a bit longer then I did my last one.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:06 PM
2nd Gear

I want to get a black or blue tsx tech 09. What are fellow canadians with this car paying? Did anyone get a little above invoice? I know in Canada no dealer will give you below. From my experience alot of dealers even look shocked when you bring up anything but the MSRP! Also their current incentives for financing beyond 36mths is terrible, 7.2% 48mth and up! but 1.9% 36mth. But I will definetly go tech 6 speed man over the base and premium. I would want the stereo/cam/navi voice command ability, no other car in this price range offers so much for the price.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:50 PM
10th Gear

I had no intention of getting the technology package, until I went back for the final test drive. But being a gadget guy, the siren of extra stuff to play with was just too strong so I got the technology package. I am very content with my decision.