Something is wrong.. 13600 miles and rear brakes are SHOT

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
Someone (Boosted?) already posted the part numbers for the ducts, it just hasn't been a priority for me yet, but I've got to start getting parts together soon.
can you post it up pls? i cant find it.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:22 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Farage
can you post it up pls? i cant find it.
I looked for it and can't remember the post. Try PM'ing Boosted09TSX, I think he was the one who posted them.

If not, PM me and I'll look again.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGoodGuy
Okay I am now home.

First Service @7200 miles - 80% front, 60% rear
Second Service @ 13650 - 70% front, 25% rear

The tech says this is fairly common for the TSX.. told me there was another car in with similar brake ratio on the front/back

Apparently they are using a softer brake compound. I dont have a warped disc or anything. I have no vibrations, just that brake noise.

I believe Honda/Acura has set the car up with a brake bias to the rear to prevent nose dives but also to increase its bite has given it softer compounds on the rear. At my driving level, mixed driving I am going to be going through 2 sets of rear pads a year. The service advisor told me they dont turn the rear rotors, just add the pads, cause turning the rotors will mean changing them every year.

Needless to say I am unhappy. Honda / Acura is going to hear from me really soon not by phone but by certified US mail. They either give teh TSX better brakes all around (4 pot up front / 2 rear) and adjust bias or pay for lifetime rear brake pads for that car for all TSX owners. Cause at this rate I'll be going through 2 sets every year..

I think it has to do with the caliper not retracting when you let off of the brakes. I have a CLS and the rear brakes were shot at 55K and my fronts were changed at 81K (first time for fronts and rears)
Old 11-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Cruisin'

Just had my B1 service at 13K miles and the rear brakes have only 3mm left.

Can someone recommend the best aftermarket replacements? Would it also be worth getting replacement rotors? Which would be the best rotors?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I can divide by zero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I've had similar wear issues on my Ridgeline. I noticed that the factory brake pads (especially the fronts) glaze over very easily. My pads were glazed to the point where they were glass smooth. That would minimize any amount of brake wear in the front while the rear pads had not glazed and wore down at an accelerated rate in ratio to the fronts. I've only found this issue with the factory installed pads. I've yet to see this issue on Nissin branded or pads that you get at the parts counter (which are manufactured by Nissin)
Old 11-18-2009, 10:03 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mjdeegan
Just had my B1 service at 13K miles and the rear brakes have only 3mm left.

Can someone recommend the best aftermarket replacements? Would it also be worth getting replacement rotors? Which would be the best rotors?

Thanks
You'll get a lot of different input on this. For the time being, I need front/rear rotors and pads. I'm going to go with the powerslot cryo treated rotors & either stock pads or Duralast Gold CMax from Autozone. The cryogenic treatment on the rotors will make them last longer and be more resistant to warping. The pads are lifetime warranty, low dust, no squeak, work from cool to super hot (within reason), and come with hardware, nitrile shims and caliper pin lube.

When they wear out, take them in & get new replacements at no charge. They're only like...$50-$60 or so per axle?

On my other car with Brembo's on 4 corners, I'm happy to get a set of front pads for $150, they're like $179 for coolstops the last time I checked.

Want to learn more than you ever wanted to about friction and brakes in general? Pull up Carbotech brakes @ ctbrakes.com or call Dr. Larry Narcus @ Carbotech, 877-899-5024.

Scary smart friction dude.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:21 AM
just have fun

i think its BS that i had to replace my rear brake pads at 15 k, the advisor told me that it is a common in TSX that they wear out around that mileage(depending on how you drive it). i need to research, which aftermarkets pads work well with the TSX.
i had a Nissan Sentra b4, when it was time to replace the pads , a brake shop installed new brakes that still squealed. it turns out that Nissan cars needed to have a specific brake pads. afterwards i brought akebono.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:38 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by 305TSXGT
i think its BS that i had to replace my rear brake pads at 15 k, the advisor told me that it is a common in TSX that they wear out around that mileage(depending on how you drive it). i need to research, which aftermarkets pads work well with the TSX.
i had a Nissan Sentra b4, when it was time to replace the pads , a brake shop installed new brakes that still squealed. it turns out that Nissan cars needed to have a specific brake pads. afterwards i brought akebono.
My mom does a lot of stop and go driving so the brakes on her cars do not last long. On the other hand I do a lot of highway driving and have the original brakes on my 06 tsx with almost 96,000 miles. Still have lots of brake life yet.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just an update guys.

I am at 35200 miles and my rear brakes are shot again. Right rear is making a hell of a metal to metal touching noise when driving, it goes away when you tap the brakes then comes back if you hit a bump.

Needless to say I have had it with the OE honda brakes, I am going to have to do a brake job on my own.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^One thing not clear to me. Have they warrantied the cost of your brakes or are you paying out of pocket for pads? (I believe I asked about this earlier and I'm curious)
Old 03-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
meh, there is solution you can apply to your pads to silence squealing, Im' at 40k miles and my rear brakes are fine as well as my front brakes and I drive like an idiot every where I go, My issue was the front rotors warping time and time again
Old 03-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colin
^^One thing not clear to me. Have they warrantied the cost of your brakes or are you paying out of pocket for pads? (I believe I asked about this earlier and I'm curious)
They (dealer) or acura have not warrantied this. Both services I paid out of my pocket, ~250 for the first time, ~200 for the second.

I took it to the dealer just in case Honda/Acura needed proof that teh service was done. I have the replaced pads, its clear one pad is wearing out faster than the other, and in both cases the inside pads do that.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Suzuka Master

^^Sorry to hear that they wouldn't help you. Did you contact Acura Client services? The dealer can do nothing without Acura's approval.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colin
^^Sorry to hear that they wouldn't help you. Did you contact Acura Client services? The dealer can do nothing without Acura's approval.
Yeah I have mentioned it to acura client services. Apart from "i am sorry you are having to replace 2 sets of rear pads within 40,000 miles' there was nothing from them.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

On the plus side, European cars are equally hard on brakes but they require new rotors when you change the pads thus costing big bucks (not ~200-250)
Old 03-31-2010, 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do you lube your calipers and pads everytime you change the pads? Could just be the calipers on the outside wheel aren't getting full range of movement due to some type of debris or no lube
Old 03-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Tishkevich
do you lube your calipers and pads everytime you change the pads? Could just be the calipers on the outside wheel aren't getting full range of movement due to some type of debris or no lube
Good point here- sounds like there is something binding the caliper so that it does not release the inside pad sufficiently, causing the premature wear on the inside. I would think the dealer would have checked this out further the first time you replaced the pads. I haven't seen a pair of pads wear that unevenly.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by MaineMDX
I was hoping the TSX wouldn't have the same problem the Accord has been experiencing. Something to do with Electronic Brake Force Distribution and highway driving.
I met someone who owns an 09 accord with the same issue. Had to change rear brakes after only 11,000 miles, service rep told him that's how Honda is making them so customers would come in more often. Go figure. I doubt that's the case though.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...t-over-brakes/

April 6, 2010, 7:30 am
Honda Settles Class-Action Suit Over

Honda has agreed to settle a class-action suit that claims the rear brakes in 750,000 late model Accords and Acura TSXs are wearing out more than twice as fast as they should.

The suit was filed in September, claiming that unreasonable wear was due to a defective design that caused “excessive force to be applied to the vehicle’s rear wheels.”

It covers 2008–9 Accords and 2009 Acura TSXs as well as a small number of 2010 models. The suit says the rear pads wear out in 15,000-20,000 miles when they should last at about 70,000 miles, that Honda has refused to provide repairs under the new-car warranty and failed to warn new buyers that the rear brakes would require such frequent repairs.

The suit attributes the problem to a new braking system that included four-wheel discs and an electronic brake distribution system that became standard on the 2008 Accord and 2009 TSX.

On its Web site, Honda described electronic brake distribution as “a more exacting method of ensuring that proportionate braking forces are applied to the brakes. In order to avoid needless ABS cycling during a nonemergency stop, E.B.D. uses the ABS sensors to detect impending rear-wheel lockup. Then it signals an additional ABS solenoid to reduce braking force to the rear and add more to the front.”

Honda has come up with a new brake pad and can make adjustments to the braking system that will “greatly increase the lifespan of those rear brake pads,” said Eric Gibbs of San Francisco, one of the lawyers who filed the case.

Chris Martin, a Honda spokesman, said the automaker did not comment on pending litigation.

The proposed settlement says that Honda denies there is a defect or that it has done anything wrong. The settlement also says neither Honda nor the plaintiffs’ lawyers have identified a safety problem.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has about 350 owner complaints about the issue on its Web site.

Jerry Ongaro of Naperville, Ill., filed his complaint with the Center for Auto Safety. Mr. Ongaro said he was charged $256 for new rear brakes on his 2008 Accord after only 26,000 miles. “Most of the miles I put on this particular car have been expressway. No stop and go. Strictly zoom, zoom. Back and forth. I was dumbfounded,” he said in an interview.

“I just got very angry at the seeming indifference Honda had with this,” he said. “I was really frustrated, this is my eighth Honda. They have been great cars.”

Judge Margaret M. Morrow of the United States District Court for the Central District of California is scheduled in May to consider whether the settlement is fair to owners and deserves preliminary approval. If she grants preliminary approval, interested parties have the opportunity to comment. She would consider final approval later this year.

Here’s what is proposed:

• Owners who had the pads replaced and rotors resurfaced before approval of the settlement would be reimbursed for one half of the cost, or a maximum of $125, “whichever is less.” That would be for repairs in which the original worn pads were replaced with pads of the same type. Owners can file claims for multiple repairs, and the work does not need to have been done at a Honda dealership.

Owners who complained on the N.H.T.S.A. Web site typically said they paid from $100 to $300 for the repair, which sometimes included the brake rotors being smoothed out.

Owners will also be given a one-time payment of up to $150 to have the new, redesigned brake pads installed.

Mr. Gibbs said the $150 should pay for most repairs, but some consumers might have to pay an extra $10 or $20. He said that seemed like the best deal possible because there would be no guarantee that consumers would get more after a trial.

“Cases like this, when you are alleging that a wear part is defective, are extraordinarily difficult to prove and to win,” Mr. Gibbs said.

The settlement proposes that $2 million for fees and expenses be shared by Mr. Gibbs and the other lawyers in the case, including those from Berk Law of Washington.