Replacing stock Headlights with HID's

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
If, in fact, your desire was to see better at night, then you would certainly not have the desire to add blue light. Perhaps you should visit an ophthalmologist rather than an optometrist. I'm certain their advice will not be to add more glare but to correct the underlying condition - assuming there is one. Given your following you statement about your "medical condition" it raises the question about your "condition."

Finally:

"Aging is one of the most common causes of dry eye because tear production decreases as we get older. Dry eye affects more women than men because hormonal changes, such as those that occur in pregnancy, menstruation, and menopause, can decrease tear production. Environmental conditions also can play a role. Wind, heat, dust, air conditioning, cigarette smoke, and even hair dryers can make the eyes dry. Some people benefit from avoiding dusty, smoky areas, wearing sunglasses, and using a humidifier to moisten the surrounding air."

Can we then assume that you are an older, pregnant woman?

I find it odd that people always come up with a "medical condition" as a reason for wanting a lighting (or tinting) mod only after their initial reasoning for a foolish mod has been shot down by the rest of the community. Unfortunately, most don't know enough about their "medical condition" and usually the described mod isn't the correct solution for their "condition."

In this case, "more light" is not the correct remedy for someone suffering from dry eye.

With that, I'm out of this thread. I'm tired of people trying to improperly justify their proposed mods. Why not just come out and say "I know this isn't the most intelligent mod to make but my closest friends think it is cool so I want to do it too?"
If you questioning my condition, I got all the paper work you need to prove it.

I like your reasoning and seem like you know what you're talking bout but then I don't see how the majority of women have a dry eye condition means that I'm one of the majority.

I see why you're mad because people seem to make up excuses when they want to do something, but then I don't see why you have to hate on people for doing the things they want. So what if some 18 yr old want to put 16k HID on his car. Im guessing that you're much older then I am, but that does not mean that you're more mature/smarter then I am.

I don't understand why you're keep trying to come back and prove that i'm wrong and you're right. Why can't both of us be right or wrong to that matter. You hate people that make up excuses, but I think what's worse are people that think they are right about everything and anyone who disagree is a "stupid" "selfish" and "a pregnant women". You call me immature and stupid for being young. But I think otherwise, I'm not the one who's calling others name and not try to consider what the other person is saying and what his reasoning.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
for the most part, lighting is personal opinion plus the understanding of form and function. let me put this succintly, and hopefully not rudely, keep in mind, i am 18, so i likely have a similar perspective if not worse in terms of ricing stuff up, though i try to stay classy.

4300K is stock, and considered the best output with lights which are pretty close to white. the color is relative though, as when paired with 3000K fogs, the illusion is that the low beams are extremely white or even blueish, because they are not yellow at all compared to the fogs. with 6000K fogs, as i have, they are white but appear slightly more yellow, because my foglights are white with a tinge of blue, so relatively, the lowbeams are not as white/blue. by changing the lowbeams to 4500 or even 5000K, they will appear more white compared to 5000 or 6000K foglights. there may be a slight loss of output, but nothing significant. i would never go above 6000K for either, as beside loss of output, blue lights are also illegal unless you are a firehouse or ambulance corp volunteer. also, driving with your foglights on, despite what color they are, reduces visibility simply because of how your eyes work. foglights produce light that goes more to hte sides and directly infront of your car instead of for distance. this increases the brightness directly infront of your car, which dilates your pupils, and further activates the cones in your eyes. this in turn reduces the active rods in your eye, and reduces ability to see in the dark. i don't need to see 5 miles in front of my car, so i don't mind the slight loss in visibility. i drive with my 6000K fogs on at all times, i prefer the "form" of them, and after weighing the pro's and cons, decided that the slight loss in function is not a hindrance. that is personal opinion, and what i prefer, and it harms no one else on the road. many prefer the JDM look of 3000K foglights, this is the "form" they prefer, and is also very "function" in the fog, this is their right to have as a preference. i live in North Jersey across the bridge from NYC. i get fog maybe 3 times a year, it doesn't matter much to me.

now wattage is another story. 35W is more than enough to light up your path, and is low enough to minimize blinding of not only oncoming drivers and traffic, but also the vehicles which are infront of you. 55W may provide a better white color, but that is simply because it washes the color out. you will blind the drivers infront of you, and oncoming drivers. i would probably brake check you if i saw that behind me, because you know what? fuck you. thats why. if i were a cop, i would impound your car because you are a danger on the road. if an ambulance corp that i was with ever responded to a call of an accident, and i noticed that you had 55W HID's, i would make sure you are claimed at fault, because you literally may have temporarily blinded the other driver. this is why i am so against bulbs with a wattage this high. i don't care if you go 12000K and drive around with barney bulbs like an imbecile, but if you blind people, your an asshole.

if you have an eye condition, i am sorry. i have a very strong astigmatism and can't see to well at night either. i wear glasses. i use rhoto's artic eye drops because they provide the best lubrication for me. i do not increase the light output of my car and blind others, just so i can see. i occasionally use my high beams at night, but that is in wooded area's, and i turn them off when i see the headlights of another car, and i hope that anyone else would do the same for me. because if you don't, and i can't see for a second because i had a light aura in my eyes ffrom a dick who high beamed me, and i don't see the deer that runs infront of my car, trust me, if the car is driveable, im turning around, and reaming you in the ass.

i hope you don't take offense to what i say, but it is simply the truth. don't take away others ability to drive so that you can drive. beside that, do what you want to your car as long as it doesn't significantly detract from your ability to operate a vehicle. if its illegal, i don't care, like window tints, just be prepared to deal with the consequences like a ticket.

TL;DR (Fuck you, read it lmfao)
The following 2 users liked this post by PyroDave:
ceb (02-23-2012), Robert4 (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 01:42 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
for the most part, lighting is personal opinion plus the understanding of form and function. let me put this succintly, and hopefully not rudely, keep in mind, i am 18, so i likely have a similar perspective if not worse in terms of ricing stuff up, though i try to stay classy.

4300K is stock, and considered the best output with lights which are pretty close to white. the color is relative though, as when paired with 3000K fogs, the illusion is that the low beams are extremely white or even blueish, because they are not yellow at all compared to the fogs. with 6000K fogs, as i have, they are white but appear slightly more yellow, because my foglights are white with a tinge of blue, so relatively, the lowbeams are not as white/blue. by changing the lowbeams to 4500 or even 5000K, they will appear more white compared to 5000 or 6000K foglights. there may be a slight loss of output, but nothing significant. i would never go above 6000K for either, as beside loss of output, blue lights are also illegal unless you are a firehouse or ambulance corp volunteer. also, driving with your foglights on, despite what color they are, reduces visibility simply because of how your eyes work. foglights produce light that goes more to hte sides and directly infront of your car instead of for distance. this increases the brightness directly infront of your car, which dilates your pupils, and further activates the cones in your eyes. this in turn reduces the active rods in your eye, and reduces ability to see in the dark. i don't need to see 5 miles in front of my car, so i don't mind the slight loss in visibility. i drive with my 6000K fogs on at all times, i prefer the "form" of them, and after weighing the pro's and cons, decided that the slight loss in function is not a hindrance. that is personal opinion, and what i prefer, and it harms no one else on the road. many prefer the JDM look of 3000K foglights, this is the "form" they prefer, and is also very "function" in the fog, this is their right to have as a preference. i live in North Jersey across the bridge from NYC. i get fog maybe 3 times a year, it doesn't matter much to me.

now wattage is another story. 35W is more than enough to light up your path, and is low enough to minimize blinding of not only oncoming drivers and traffic, but also the vehicles which are infront of you. 55W may provide a better white color, but that is simply because it washes the color out. you will blind the drivers infront of you, and oncoming drivers. i would probably brake check you if i saw that behind me, because you know what? fuck you. thats why. if i were a cop, i would impound your car because you are a danger on the road. if an ambulance corp that i was with ever responded to a call of an accident, and i noticed that you had 55W HID's, i would make sure you are claimed at fault, because you literally may have temporarily blinded the other driver. this is why i am so against bulbs with a wattage this high. i don't care if you go 12000K and drive around with barney bulbs like an imbecile, but if you blind people, your an asshole.

if you have an eye condition, i am sorry. i have a very strong astigmatism and can't see to well at night either. i wear glasses. i use rhoto's artic eye drops because they provide the best lubrication for me. i do not increase the light output of my car and blind others, just so i can see. i occasionally use my high beams at night, but that is in wooded area's, and i turn them off when i see the headlights of another car, and i hope that anyone else would do the same for me. because if you don't, and i can't see for a second because i had a light aura in my eyes ffrom a dick who high beamed me, and i don't see the deer that runs infront of my car, trust me, if the car is driveable, im turning around, and reaming you in the ass.

i hope you don't take offense to what i say, but it is simply the truth. don't take away others ability to drive so that you can drive. beside that, do what you want to your car as long as it doesn't significantly detract from your ability to operate a vehicle. if its illegal, i don't care, like window tints, just be prepared to deal with the consequences like a ticket.

TL;DR (Fuck you, read it lmfao)
Good summary as it is mostly correct (you get the honorary old guy award.)

While you actually are affecting your night vision by using your fogs all the time (and they do annoy oncoming traffic - but generally not to the point of being dangerous) it certainly sounds like you've at least considered the pros and cons before making that mod and took other drivers into consideration.

That is the kind of responsible modding I was talking about in my other thread.

I do hope that you turn off your fogs when it is raining - the glare on a wet roadway from any fogs can be dangerous in those conditions - both to you and to oncoming traffic.

Last edited by ceb; 02-23-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
I drive normal bulbs in my CU2. But the german official cars like police, ambulance, firemen drive with 100watts. The wattage is not blinding nobody. I had 100 watt bulbs on my Prelude and for years nobody in front or towards me driving had a problem with being blinded by me. If your lights are adjusted as they have to be, you cannot blind nobody, adjustment have to be controlled after springs or coilovers were mounted, and every two years a light check. I pass the light check with my 100watt. I dont speak from High beams, they can blind as hell, and have to be shutt off if there is traffic. So its in Germany and I think in USA, too?
But again, with the proper adjustment you dont blind, its the same as a Flashlight, if you dont target in my eyes, it dont blind me.
I hope we speak about the same type of light, bulbs, I´m still a little confused about how your lights are named. Google translate is not a good friend here.LOL
Old 02-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Advanced

Pyrodave - you have a good point, I've driven in front and by someone who decided to aim their light all the way up so they can see 1 mile ahead. I know how annoying and dangerous it is. Im not saying imma put install a 55w ballast and leave everything as it is. I always adjust my setup everytime i tinkle with my lights

Ceb - you have good point too.

I think everyone made a good point and it's all down to your own personal preference. For me, the set up i mentioned work for me in the past and it help me see a lot better at night. I drove with it for 1-2 years and i never get any complaint/highbeam. But then that's because I aim by light a little lower. If you or ceb think that im being rice/stupid/selfish for doing the setup then there's nothing I can do.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ceb won't be happy until we all return our cars to stock form (except for a trunk liner of course).
Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
LOl, how did changing a light bulb become such a huge argument again?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ed_423
LOl, how did changing a light bulb become such a huge argument again?

Q) How many country and western singers does it take to change a light bulb?

A) Three....one to change the bulb and two to sing about how good the old light bulb was.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Robert4
Q) How many country and western singers does it take to change a light bulb?

A) Three....one to change the bulb and two to sing about how good the old light bulb was.
Actually it's 4. One to change the bulb, 2 to sing bout how good the old one is and the other one singing bout how good the new is going to be
Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
There are a lot of words in this thread
Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

there are alot of threads in this blanket
Old 02-24-2012, 01:07 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
Old 02-24-2012, 01:13 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by opboarding
There are a lot of words in this thread
there are alot of threads in this blanket
Ergo words are blankets.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ceb
Ergo words are blankets.
or are blankets really words? Mind Fucked
Old 02-24-2012, 02:08 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
this is like threadception. a thread within a thread within a word within a blanket within a word?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:12 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

or are blankets really words? Mind Fucked
Originally Posted by mrstak
this is like threadception. a thread within a thread within a word within a blanket within a word?
aaaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh
Old 02-24-2012, 03:38 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts