Question about dealer installed options

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:59 PM
CTA
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about dealer installed options

Hello, my first post here, so please bear my ignorance. My sister is looking at a 2009 TSX w/o the Tech package. She's not very car savvy and definately not good with neogiations, so I'm helping her out as much as possible.

It seems to me that there are some dealer installed options that she is interested in -- particularly the back-up sensors (and attachment) and splash guards.

My question is -- is there a way to find the "invoice" price on those items? I suspect that since it's dealer installed there is no official invoice price, but there has to be some price that Acura charges for the hardware.

Any insight will be helpful.
Thanks,
-CTA
Old 12-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your sister does not need the backup sensor as the tech has a backup camera.. so screw that.

I do not know the cost of the splash guards however i paid as a package 500 for the splash guards, the wheel locks and the trunk tray. My cost prior 30400 + TTL.

and contact several dealers and get them to bid it out, thats what i did...
Old 12-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
CTA, different stores will charge different amounts for the sensors. Since your sister is not getting the Tech package the sensors are worthwhile for some drivers. The Acura.com site lists the retail price for the back up sensor kit PLUS the separate attachment (I think). Its safe to assume there is some profit there, but often times, accessories are priced by parts and service and not the sales dept.

What are they quoting you for the sensors w/ installation? I know it's a pain to put these in, and the labor time is a couple of hours easy.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Advanced

I don't know about the backup sensors, but if you have the backup camera, you don't need the backup sensors.

As for the splash guards, I was quoted $180 installed. I ended up buying them online from Ebay motors for $80 and installed them myself. Took about 20 min total, and all you need is a phillips head screwdriver.

And they work great in the snow...
Old 12-31-2008, 03:23 AM
10th Gear

Before the cost of the lip spoiler, the total I paid for my '09 TSX/Tech would have been: $30473. This included: splash guards, trunk mat, all season mats, cargo hook & wheel locks.

I wanted to ask for more options, but I really wasnt interested in anything else LOL... maybe the side molding but... meh.

They are hurting and its the end of the year. So you should be able to get a fanatic price for her and MANY extras!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:26 PM
Banned

I purchased the front sensors because I'm bad at judging distance off the front bumber but if I had to do over I might think twice about it. The sensor is just an aftermarket car accessory not made by Honda, not installed by the dealer, that sticks out from the bumper a bit and with controls that sort of hangs off of one of the accessoy tabs like a plastic abscess beside the steering wheel. I was hoping for something that was more official and integrated as we have on our Odessey. It gets the job done I guess.

If I were you I'd splurge and get the tech package with the backup camera. Why get a nice car and not have it be filled with nice things? That seems like a lot of money to spend just to stop short of the good stuff.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Intermediate

I'd have to agree with wackura... just get her the tech package. That's what I have, and the backup camera is a lot nicer than an annoying beeping.

Also, the sound system with the tech is awesome, and the GPS system is really easy to use. Plus the screen makes moving through your music and radio stations look great.

Here in Canada, the tech package was about $3K more than the premium trim level (the Base trim in the US)... and that backup sensor alone was $900 on the acura website - a complete rip off when you think about it!