Project: GPS/Media Center for Non-Tech models

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 01:15 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Project: GPS/Media Center for Non-Tech models

I have been contemplating on putting together an OEM-like Nav/Media Center for my 2010 non-Tech TSX. I initially started with looking at those chinese units which we all researched into but in the end stayed away from. I currently use a Motonav TN-765T mounted permanently on the driver's side but wanted to use the location for the current monochrome screen. Elements of the project include the following:
1. No touchscreen, since the recessed space is too far to be easily accessible from the driver's sear
2. 7" screen which I think is a good size as opposed to 5" for most BIG phones and 10" for ipad
3. Quick boot times/good standby battery performance which rules out the possibility of CarPC
4. In-built GPS for Nav related functions
5. Tethering with phone for traffic and other rich internet content like Pandora, Tunein, Spotify etc
6. Relocation/Access of the existing monochrome screen for HVAC and audio information
7. Bluetooth functionality for connecting various input devices
8. Audio out for connecting the device to the aux port for music
9. Budget of $300 to $400 for all related equipment and installation

I am a big android fan and have been looking at various options for 7" tablets. I have so far considered Nook Color/Tablet, Samsung Tab, HTC Flyer and Dell Streak 7. Android seems to be a good logical choice due to simple UI and plenty of app choices. Possible device choices should have HoneyComb(3.x) or ICS (4.x) ROMs available since these make the end user experience more fluid and feature rich. These versions also allow the user to increase the text size to make the text more legible. Most of these tablets can be obtained for $180 to $250.

So far, Dell Streak 7 seems to be best option since it has onboard GPS, landscape dock for charging and audio out, Honeycomb & ICS compatible and possibility to include its own SIM for data connectivity. I have the Nook, Tab and Flyer in the family and this is how it would look in the receptacle. All these should easily fit in the existing space by making some changes to the bezel.

For pointing devices, I am planning on using Apple Magic Trackpad which can be connected to the tablet through bluetooth. The trackpad also supports single and multi-touch operation which works really well with Android; single finger for cursor and two fingers for swiping. Also, this fits pretty well in the storage compartment to save from prying eyes. There are alot of handwriting recognition keyboard softwares available on Android. This should work similar in operation to Audi A8's new interface, FTW!

So far so good. Now comes the challenging part.
Approach 1: I was looking at android programs which would allow the image to be flipped on the y-axis and thereby using a semi-reflective screen in front of existing display to show tablet content, similar to HUD. But the lack of these programs eliminates that option.

Approach 2: Relocating the monochrome screen to another location. I opened up the display and it looks like the only place it can be moved to is the sunglasses holder as seen in one of the other posts on this site. This would require alot of soldering, rewiring and effort to match the factory look of roof liner.

Approach 3: Using a color screen to replace the existing monochrome display and using AV-in to show content from the tablet since Streak 7 has HDMI out. I have seen one of posts on the site where someone successfully showed HVAC overlays on the CarPC. I have no knowledge on how to accomplish this.

Approach 4: Placing the tablet in front of the existing screen and use a folding mechanism to access the screen info. I am planning on using the Dell Streak Home Dock and install it on the top portion of the bezel so the tablet can be removed when required and not visible from outside. This approach seems to be the most logical and easiest but not ideal.

I am trying to procure a Dell Streak 7, home dock and Magic Trackpad next month so I will share my progress with pictures soon. What I need from everyone on the forum is to access the feasibility of these approaches and provide feedback on how to further improve on the overall design and functionality
Old 02-26-2012, 01:39 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Drull has a car pc installed already, and the TSX from south africa has two goddamn nav screens.

Look those both up
The following users liked this post:
Drull (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Membered Register

Received 161 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by goodhed
Approach 3: Using a color screen to replace the existing monochrome display and using AV-in to show content from the tablet since Streak 7 has HDMI out. I have seen one of posts on the site where someone successfully showed HVAC overlays on the CarPC. I have no knowledge on how to accomplish this.
You'd have to get a bluetooth/wifi obd2 reader and then use an app like torque to display the gauges
Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
sounds like a great plan, can't wait!!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Another option is to trade your car in for a used Tech.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerG
Drull has a car pc installed already, and the TSX from south africa has two goddamn nav screens.

Look those both up
Half-way useful post IMO; sometimes it's easier for me to post the links (when I look for this post again lol).

Drull--https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845341

I couldn't find the South African TSX with two screens but this one is pretty cool. https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-photograph-gallery-144/cu2-update-south-africa-791277/

If anyone knows the thread, please post.
Drull (03-04-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
thats the right one, the only south african tsx i know, i was referring to the fact that he added a second screen without gutting the main one, idk how its halfway useful, those are the two off the top of my head that i could think of that I know you can search for and find
Old 02-26-2012, 05:42 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Sounds way to difficult and comber sum to get a touch screen tablet and not use the touch screen. There is no way to "mount" the tablet so it sits flush with the overhang? To me that sounds like the easiest/most useful way to do something like this.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
^ the word you're looking for is "cumbersome". I know we like to type fast these days, but damn...

What the hell happened to the days where cars could be cars? Don't see the point in all the computer stuff, when a car is meant primarily to be driven.

And people wonder why there's so many accidents these days...

Sigh....
iamitman (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ressling
^ the word you're looking for is "cumbersome". I know we like to type fast these days, but damn...

What the hell happened to the days where cars could be cars? Don't see the point in all the computer stuff, when a car is meant primarily to be driven.

And people wonder why there's so many accidents these days...

Sigh....
Exactly! Why I got the SE wifh 6MT.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
omg cant wait to see the outcome. Im so stupid when it comes to these kind of things that i can barely fathom some of the things your aspiring to do. Good luck!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I have put a little bit of thought into this exact idea. I was thinking of using a touch screen though, and put it in the middle recessed area where the screen is now. If the screen is not recessed as much as the current screen and put on the front edge of that area, you dont have to reach very far to touch it.

My thought is to use Great Stuff foam to make a housing for the tablet since it is easily sculpted so it would fit snug in the recessed area and can put holes in the back of it for cords to go through. Its also easily paintable, but I dont think the texture would match the existing dash very well, but that might not be a big deal.

The main thing stopping me from doing this is finding a place to put the oem screen. Drull put his in the sunglasses holder on the roof, but it looked like a ton of work and fiberglassing, which I have no experience with. Pretty sure it would end up looking like complete crap.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Advanced

I share your concerns regarding relocating the original screen to the sunglasses holder, too much work in my opinion that cannot be reversed.

With regards to placing the tablet, my original plan was to use plexiglass and paint the non-screen area black. The same could also done by cutting a rectangle for the touchscreen area.

Originally Posted by opboarding
I have put a little bit of thought into this exact idea. I was thinking of using a touch screen though, and put it in the middle recessed area where the screen is now. If the screen is not recessed as much as the current screen and put on the front edge of that area, you dont have to reach very far to touch it.

My thought is to use Great Stuff foam to make a housing for the tablet since it is easily sculpted so it would fit snug in the recessed area and can put holes in the back of it for cords to go through. Its also easily paintable, but I dont think the texture would match the existing dash very well, but that might not be a big deal.

The main thing stopping me from doing this is finding a place to put the oem screen. Drull put his in the sunglasses holder on the roof, but it looked like a ton of work and fiberglassing, which I have no experience with. Pretty sure it would end up looking like complete crap.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Advanced

Ordered the Dell Streak 7 today and waiting for it to arrive. I also need to order the home dock below before sharing updates on installation. This should help in minimizing cables and provide a cleaner install.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:39 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
legit
Old 03-02-2012, 09:42 AM
You see me, I CU2

Received 358 Likes on 284 Posts
This should be cool