Progress :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Progress :)

Hi all, I'm fairly new here, and never did an intro; but I'm Brad, and I bought a 2010 TSX at the end of December 2011. I've been doing a little customization here and there...

Here's what I've done so far:

Splash Guards
Black gloss vinyl wrap on the roof/antenna
LED lights for the full interior, and tag lights

I ordered cut-to-spec LED panels from exLEDusa. I got the 5000K color temp because I wanted closest to pure white, and it's quite close to the color of the HID lamps, and matches well with the dashboard lighting. I think the standard warm colored lights give more of a comfort feel, whereas these lights give a cool, crisp, clear look to the interior.

and of course, PICS

This is the complete kit. (left to right, top to bottom) Back seat dome panel, trunk module, vanity modules, map panels, door modules, tag modules.

Standard bulb

LED module

Tag light. For those who are about to change their tag lights, note the angle at which the clear cover connects to the lamp housing. Don't try to mount it straight on, you'll end up frustrated like I was .

The fog lights are on in this picture, hence the tinge to the light from the front end

I now drive an Acura UFO

The door lamps cast light forward and downward as there are 2 panels connected at a right angle. They light up the wheels nicely when the door is open

5000K matches pretty well

Now for the tint... and considering getting my emblems black chrome and tinting the tails (sans the reverse light area, I'd leave that white). Don't know if the latter 2 things would make the car look tacky to me though.

Last edited by busyb02; 02-27-2012 at 10:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by busyb02:
Acura_Dude (03-06-2012), ejongjin (03-06-2012), petsheep (02-29-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
very well done, i really like the LED's. i may have to ditch my EBay ones for those if i get another TSX in a few months. and yes i spent literally 20 minutes trying to make the back fit. i was so frigging frustrated. PS: you should be in the photo subthread, not here, but whatever
The following users liked this post:
busyb02 (02-28-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 11:48 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
looks nice man! Digging the blacked out roof on the car. Custom LEDs look quality. any more plans for the car?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PyroDave
very well done, i really like the LED's. i may have to ditch my EBay ones for those if i get another TSX in a few months. and yes i spent literally 20 minutes trying to make the back fit. i was so frigging frustrated. PS: you should be in the photo subthread, not here, but whatever
Thanks man! Yeah they are really nice LEDs and the map/dome lights have brightness control which I really like. I'd definitely recommend them! Is there a way I can move the thread or is that a mod only thing? Sorry for clogging up the main page lol...

Originally Posted by swarlos
looks nice man! Digging the blacked out roof on the car. Custom LEDs look quality. any more plans for the car?
Thanks man! The next thing is the tint. Going for 35 on the doors and 30 for the rear. I want to get some gunmetal wheels and maybe black chrome on the emblems ... I saw someone talking about spray tinting them but not sure how well that would work. The black chrome emblems and tinted tail lights are kind of up in the air, but the window tint and wheels are definite plans.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks soooooooooooooo nice!!
busyb02 (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
whoa! If that's minimum brightness, I can't imagine what maximum brightness will look like haha.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

Max brightness is like walking into a wal-mart lol... As for the map/dome lights, in pictures theres more of a halo so that could affect how it comes across, but in reality its about the same brightness as the standard bulbs when set to minimum, but more effective coverage and visibility because of the spread of the leds and the color. Trust me I dont like super bright lights inside... dont want people all in my business haha. The map and dome are the only adjustable ones though so the doors and trunk are def brighter than the original, but they look so nice. The tag lights are indirect so they are just perfect. I really like how the door lamps light thr ground... its like im hopping in a hovering spacecraft
Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
busyb you have no idea how long i've been wanting to install these lights. i've had them since last year but haven't had a car to install them on...i'm counting down the hours now till i can see these babies in action.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Goodbye.

I think I'm going to have to order these lights soon

Do let us know if/when you get a reply back about the vanity lights.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:59 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Vanity lights are part of the package now. I believe they changed the light package to include every light.
Map/Dome/Courtesy/Vanity/License/Trunk

In OP's LED bulbs pic, the vanity ones are at the top right under the exLED sticker.

They've also got another bulb coming out...stay tuned. It's not for the interior lighting.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by mrstak
Vanity lights are part of the package now. I believe they changed the light package to include every light.

In OP's LED bulbs pic, the vanity ones are at the top right under the exLED sticker.

They've also got another bulb coming out...stay tuned. It's not for the interior lighting.
I know the vanity lights are included, but OP said they didn't install/work properly so he contacted them for inquiry.

REVERSE LEDS???!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Intermediate

busyb you have no idea how long i've been wanting to install these lights. i've had them since last year but haven't had a car to install them on...i'm counting down the hours now till i can see these babies in action.
Def post pics when you do!

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster

I most certainly will. I'm probably just going to keep the standard warm colored bulbs in at any rate because the LED color isn't suited for the natural light look my fiance will want to see for makeup or whatever. I dont really use the vanity mirrors anyway... except for when i'm doing my blush and mascara

If they're coming out with fogs I need to pre-order lol... That's the only other lighting element I really want to change.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:37 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Oh really? They didn't work? Err oh OP...did you try flipping them around? Don't LEDs have polarity? Or centering the edges with the clips on the visor? Sometimes if the connection isn't good it won't work. At least for my ebay ones they were like that.

TSXy Luster...
Old 02-28-2012, 01:38 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
DAMN I'm really liking those LEDs....holy shit like really liking them. Good job man! Can't wait to see what you got planned for the rest!
busyb02 (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Goodbye.

This is why nobody wants to play guessing games with me

Old 02-28-2012, 02:05 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
looks good!
busyb02 (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

Oh really? They didn't work? Err oh OP...did you try flipping them around? Don't LEDs have polarity? Or centering the edges with the clips on the visor? Sometimes if the connection isn't good it won't work. At least for my ebay ones they were like that.

TSXy Luster...
Yeah man I tried flipping, rotating, shifting, everything... No dice. All good though, I'm still satisfied with what I do have. Just gonna see if i can exchange them for something else, maybe fogs.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I like the blacked out roof! I would totally do that to mine if I had a lighter colored TSX.
busyb02 (02-29-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Also....REMOVE DEALER PLATE FRAME, pl0x.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by TSXKid2010
he loved dealer. he rep dealer. no harm. no foul.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by busyb02
Yeah man I tried flipping, rotating, shifting, everything... No dice. All good though, I'm still satisfied with what I do have. Just gonna see if i can exchange them for something else, maybe fogs.
if you can get it exchanged for 4 more Courtesy(door) lights. but have it be blue LED. i would buy them off you, those are really what i want =D
Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

how much are the vanity lights? he hasn't updated the site with them yet.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Looks great, I think the black roof will look 10x better wl tints to blend it,
The LEDS are ridiculously bright and i LOVE them. I might have to look into a set,

LED reverse are a pretty cheap and cool Mod, check my thread i have before and after pics.

Mind saying how much you paid for the roof and antenna wrap? Im preparing for it myself. I think black roofs on white cars is just gorgeous.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

Haha I know, but yeah I don't mind repping this dealership. They deserve a little ad because they're great on customer service. It's funny, I just found out one of my cousins actually bought a TL from them back in August and the first detail he told me was how he went with them over another popular local dealer because they were bending over backwards to gain his business. They did the same for me and for my mom when she bought her TL. I dont like to advertise for brands, but I feel like good service is somewhat of a rarity so it should be rewarded.

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster

Speaking of good service, Jin, the seller I deal with from exLEDusa has been very easy to work with. He's sending a replacement set of vanities, and I made a last second request to get them in the 3500K color temp (as I said I'd want a warm color for the vanity lights), and he's shipping them out probably as we speak!

how much are the vanity lights? he hasn't updated the site with them yet.
The 4 vanity and 4 door (courtesy) modules together are going for $25. The site now has the kit price updated to include that additional $25 so you'd be getting the full kit if you ordered at the current listed price. He just hasn't updated the pictures as of yet.

Originally Posted by PyroDave
if you can get it exchanged for 4 more Courtesy(door) lights. but have it be blue LED. i would buy them off you, those are really what i want =D
Sorry man! He's replacing the faulty ones. He does have Blue LEDs, and I'm sure hed sell just the door lamps to you if you contact them http://www.exledusa.com/index.php?di...view&page_id=1.

Another thing is, they can mix and match colors if you're doing a kit, and I believe they also do multi-colored LEDs on the same module if you desire. I saw a video he put up with a map light with all 6000K white LEDs except for 3 that were red, green and blue. I thought about doing something weird like blending from one end to the other on the maps and dome going 5000 to 6000 to and Blue, but I went the plain route lol...

Originally Posted by MoaarLow
Looks great, I think the black roof will look 10x better wl tints to blend it,
The LEDS are ridiculously bright and i LOVE them. I might have to look into a set,

LED reverse are a pretty cheap and cool Mod, check my thread i have before and after pics.

Mind saying how much you paid for the roof and antenna wrap? Im preparing for it myself. I think black roofs on white cars is just gorgeous.
Your LED post was one of the first I saw on here. Def looks nice man! If you're looking to get brightness control and more balanced coverage than festoon LEDs you should go with these fore sure. The roof wrap I got for $265 after tax. They used 3M 1080 Gloss. I agree 100%, white with a black roof and tints looks awesome! You planning on going gloss or matte? Ive seen some people with the matte roof on white, but to me it doesn't achieve the panoramic look... To each his own though

Last edited by busyb02; 02-29-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
If he likes it he should keep it but it needs to be replaced as it is cracked.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Intermediate

From

To

Just got this done
Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
not bad, i like the smoked reflectors.
busyb02 (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
looks good. is it PAINT or FILM
Old 02-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by robpp
looks good. is it PAINT or FILM
Thanks! It's film. I saw the spray stuff, but this worked better for cutting out the white areas like I wanted. Also tried doing just the front face of one of the chrome letters and it actually looked pretty cool... It looked pretty good having the dark face with the silver edges around, so I might do that, but not really sure how well the film would hold up on those letters if it had an exposed edge... Still debating it..
Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Your LED post was one of the first I saw on here. Def looks nice man! If you're looking to get brightness control and more balanced coverage than festoon LEDs you should go with these fore sure. The roof wrap I got for $265 after tax. They used 3M 1080 Gloss. I agree 100%, white with a black roof and tints looks awesome! You planning on going gloss or matte? Ive seen some people with the matte roof on white, but to me it doesn't achieve the panoramic look... To each his own though
Appreciate the kind words. Overall im pretty happy wl the LEDS. i think my door and rear dome can be a little brighter. Just trying to figure out if its worth doing all over or if i should just be satisfied

But YES GLOSS FTW. i think the matte and CF look okay too but i agree wl the whole panoramic look! Its kinda Dull, I think the Gloss Black just flows so sick. It might be comming up! you definitely pushed me to get it done! Happy Modding and keep us Updated
busyb02 (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great post! You've inspired me. Had my '12 for about 2 weeks now and I wanted to change out the interior lights. Seems like an easy single purchase kit. Will be ordering soon. Great job!
busyb02 (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Can I assume that these LED's are plug-n-play and don't cause any errors? No wiring changes required?

I also assume that they go off entirely when off?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by petsheep
Great post! You've inspired me. Had my '12 for about 2 weeks now and I wanted to change out the interior lights. Seems like an easy single purchase kit. Will be ordering soon. Great job!
Awesome man! If you have any questions about them feel free to ask. They also have youtube video of the map and dome light installation but the others arent too difficult.

Originally Posted by ceb
Can I assume that these LED's are plug-n-play and don't cause any errors? No wiring changes required?

I also assume that they go off entirely when off?
Yep they're plug-n-play. I didnt have to do anything with any wires, only thing I did was pull the fuse under the hood (It was #16 in mine, and it's a 7.5A) for the interior lights just to be safe. I used needle nose pliers to remove all the bulbs. One odd thing I found was that all the interior lights, and the trunk were on that same fuse BUT the driver and front passenger doors are on a separate one... I just held the button in while I pulled and replaced the door bulbs and I didn't have any shorting issues. The trunk light housing disconnects altogether so that will make installing that easier.

When they go off yes they turn entirely off. If you're wondering if they fade in and out like the standard bulbs, YES they do! Looks very cool

Last edited by busyb02; 02-29-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Yep they're plug-n-play. I didnt have to do anything with any wires, only thing I did was pull the fuse under the hood (It was #16 in mine, and it's a 7.5A) for the interior lights just to be safe. I used needle nose pliers to remove all the bulbs. One odd thing I found was that all the interior lights, and the trunk were on that same fuse BUT the driver and front passenger doors are on a separate one... I just held the button in while I pulled and replaced the door bulbs and I didn't have any shorting issues. The trunk light housing disconnects altogether so that will make installing that easier.

When they go off yes they turn entirely off. If you're wondering if they fade in and out like the standard bulbs, YES they do! Looks very cool
Thanks.

Early LED's would continue to glow even when off. they'd throw errors and require resistors and never worked right. They also never dmmed right.

How does the brightness control work? Any way to bump up the brightness of the interior blue ambient lighting? While it illuminates the cup holders, it really isn't bright enough to help you find the cup holders.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ceb
Thanks.

Early LED's would continue to glow even when off. they'd throw errors and require resistors and never worked right. They also never dmmed right.

How does the brightness control work? Any way to bump up the brightness of the interior blue ambient lighting? While it illuminates the cup holders, it really isn't bright enough to help you find the cup holders.
The brightness control on these looks like a little screw head. You just turn it with a very small screwdriver and it cycles from dim to max brightness to off, and it's repeating. As for the factory blue LEDs I honestly don't know... I would think that would take some more intensive surgery though lol...
Old 03-01-2012, 05:50 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

The brightness control on these looks like a little screw head. You just turn it with a very small screwdriver and it cycles from dim to max brightness to off, and it's repeating. As for the factory blue LEDs I honestly don't know... I would think that would take some more intensive surgery though lol...
Thanks! I figured as much with the existing LED's too but I might just change my opinion of LED's and get a set of these if they really don't cause any electrical issues.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Intermediate

exLEDusa 3500K Vanity Lights!

Just got my replacement vanity lights in today, and got them installed! They look great. The color is very much like those high-end mirrors used at department stores or in nice hotel rooms. It's more intense than the stock bulbs, but not blindingly bright. Here are some comparison pics:

Left=Stock, Right=exLED

Both exLED, 3500K vanities vs 5000K maps

Side by side comparison Left to right: 3500K exLED, 5000K exLED, Stock bulbs

Also got some of these lens caps in to test. Just got the clear and a couple blue to see how they affect light dispersion and color.

I found that they magnify the light. They just fit right over the LED blocks on the panels

These snap-ons give you a lot more color options. You could get the 5000K (pictured) and pop on any color you feel like, then interchange if you want to go for something different without having to purchase a new set of LED units. I only got the clear and blue, but I saw on their website that they have a wide variety of colors you can select from when you order.

I love the way these things make the car look
TSXy Luster (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
ooo nice. are the 3500k pretty much the same color temp at oem, just brighter? Im liking the snap on things, ill have to look into these if i want to make the door lights blue someday.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by opboarding
ooo nice. are the 3500k pretty much the same color temp at oem, just brighter? Im liking the snap on things, ill have to look into these if i want to make the door lights blue someday.
As far as I can tell this is correct. The color looks just slightly cooler than stock, but this may just be an illusion due to the higher intensity.

Yeah the snap ons I think are a great option. I was just thinking if people have the TSX SE with the red accent lights, they could add a little red to the rest of the interior with some caps.

Another interesting idea I plan to try is putting color caps on the ground-facing panel of the door lights. I'd have it shine 5000K at the car, and maybe blue or cyan at the ground. You really dont see the ground facing panel from plain view, you just see the light on the ground... Could be an interesting effect
Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Goodbye.

Awesome update!

Can you do a pic of one light with just one blue lens cap and see how much blue it actually shines?
I know I was interested in the lens caps they have, especially those warm white looking ones.
How many lens caps did you get per $6.99?

And now I'm wondering if the vanity lights are worth it or not.... would be nice not to be blinded by surprise when I actually do end up using the vanity mirror the one time in my life.

Quick Reply: Progress :)