Potential buyer, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012 | 01:42 PM
8th Gear

Potential buyer, a few questions

Hi everyone,
I am in the market for a 2012 TSX w/ tech package. It is a nice luxury car that fits in my price range. However, I have heard that the TSX model is being scrapped/discontinued. How does this affect resale value/future servicing etc? Would I be better off looking into the new 2013 ILX? I like the tsx better personally.
Old 07-02-2012 | 01:51 PM
Pro

check out the ILX section also. Lots of info there about the ILX for you to consider. I'm biased so I would say NO to ILX.
Old 07-02-2012 | 02:24 PM
Intermediate

I'm going to guess that resale value will actually be stronger if the TSX is discontinued. If the ILX retails for 30 - 32K, but for the same price one can get a brand new TSX 4-cyl version that's bigger, roomier, some would say with sharper styling, and an overall better car. If TSX is discontinued, then for the next 2 - 3 years new buyers looking for an Acura will have to choose between an ILX at 30K, versus a bigger, nicer 2 - 3 yr old TSX running at 20K or so. I think there will likely be a continued demand for a bigger alternative than the ILX.

I've had my TSX for 2 and 1/2 years now, this summer I've received 3 postcards from my dealer asking me to sell it back to them, stating that the demand is high and they want to be able to sell a used TSX, and that they'll give me a good trade-in deal. I've decided not to take it for now but I think that's indicative of the demand for used TSX models.

Ben
The following users liked this post:
evanpik (07-04-2012)
Old 07-02-2012 | 02:32 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by batpad
Hi everyone,
I am in the market for a 2012 TSX w/ tech package. It is a nice luxury car that fits in my price range. However, I have heard that the TSX model is being scrapped/discontinued. How does this affect resale value/future servicing etc? Would I be better off looking into the new 2013 ILX? I like the tsx better personally.
There are a couple of discussion threads here on very similar topics. Let me give you my take.

By law, manufacturers need to provide support for 10 years after a car is phased out.

With the exception of body bits, all the important bits are from other Acura/Honda cars, so even if Honda quit supplying parts tomorrow, you'd still have 500 years worth of major parts available. You might have an issue finding a trim piece in the year 2525 but you'll still find engine parts. Body bits can be had by buying Euro Honda Accord parts.

Part availability on a discontinued model is no different from parts availability following a new model - i.e. Generation 1 TSX to current generation.

The demise of the TSX is conjecture. It fills the slot between a pimped up Civic and the bloated TL/RL twins. We don't know what will happen to it - much depends on the future of the Euro Accord - a virtual twin to the TSX.

Since the TSX fills a void between the Civic and the TL, there is speculation that the value of used TSXs will go up.

Buy what you like, not what may lose in value a few years down the road.
The following users liked this post:
evanpik (07-04-2012)
Old 07-02-2012 | 02:35 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Benbox
I'm going to guess that resale value will actually be stronger if the TSX is discontinued. If the ILX retails for 30 - 32K, but for the same price one can get a brand new TSX 4-cyl version that's bigger, roomier, some would say with sharper styling, and an overall better car. If TSX is discontinued, then for the next 2 - 3 years new buyers looking for an Acura will have to choose between an ILX at 30K, versus a bigger, nicer 2 - 3 yr old TSX running at 20K or so. I think there will likely be a continued demand for a bigger alternative than the ILX.

I've had my TSX for 2 and 1/2 years now, this summer I've received 3 postcards from my dealer asking me to sell it back to them, stating that the demand is high and they want to be able to sell a used TSX, and that they'll give me a good trade-in deal. I've decided not to take it for now but I think that's indicative of the demand for used TSX models.

Ben
No, that's indicative of the age old dealer scam to try to get you back into the dealership. Once there, they'll use similar tactics to try to convince you that your car is worth $4.95

That said, there is a demand for used cars but values in general are falling. The TSX has strong demand because of features, quality and size.
Old 07-02-2012 | 03:49 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

lol my old dealership keeps sending me shit for my totaled TSX...trying to buy back my old car...
Old 07-02-2012 | 08:17 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrstak
lol my old dealership keeps sending me shit for my totaled TSX...trying to buy back my old car...
I got a letter from the GMC dealer telling me that my 1998 Yukon is in high demand. Too bad I sold it ten years ago.
Old 07-02-2012 | 09:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb

Buy what you like, not what may lose in value a few years down the road.
That's the most important variable.

And don't worry about model discontinuation, that happens all the time. A valid concern is the manufacturer going out of business; e.g., Saab. But Honda isn't shutting down shop.

Originally Posted by ceb
No, that's indicative of the age old dealer scam to try to get you back into the dealership. Once there, they'll use similar tactics to try to convince you that your car is worth $4.95
That's all it is. People have to stop feeling special when they get those mailings. It's not about you or your car, it's about getting at your wallet.

Originally Posted by ceb
I got a letter from the GMC dealer telling me that my 1998 Yukon is in high demand. Too bad I sold it ten years ago.
I still get them on a 15 year-old BMW that's been dead for many years.
Old 07-02-2012 | 11:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

<- As it says over there, buy my car and be happy.

Click the red text down here ----------\/\/\/\/\/\/----------
Old 07-03-2012 | 12:41 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

This gives me another opportunity to get on the ILX bandwagon.

Right around the '80's, with fuel economy on everyone's mind and an attempt by every US automaker to come out with a new small car, Cadillac decided to modify the J-body Chevy/Pontiac chassis into a car to be sold by Cadillac.

The car was basically a Chevy Cavalier with stuck on "Cimarron by Cadillac" logos, higher trim levels (air, leather, cruise etc standard) and a price roughly double of the Chevy.

A few years after debut, they dropped the "Cimarron by Cadillac" and just called it the Cadillac Cimarron. Looking back at it now, most people equate to the Edsel and consider it a total failure.

Fast forward to 2012 and Honda is pimping out its entry level Civic into an entry level luxury car - the same thing that Cadillac tried to do and failed. I suspect that the ILX will have a very short production run.

Customers today are smarter than they were in the 80's. They have access to much more information and will quickly figure out that the ILX is really a Civic. This is far different from the TSX as it is vastly different from the Honda Accord sold on these shores even if it virtually the same as the European Accord.

The only thing that might save the ILX is the fact that the Civic is a very competent car to start with - which may also its downfall. We recently bought my wife a Civic EX-L nav and paid $21k. For an extra $12k (over 50% extra) we could have gotten push button start and fobless entry, HIDs, expanded voice commands and that goofy GPS linked climate control that does nothing. You get a slightly more powerful engine with a 20% hit in fuel economy. Both cars have the same ride and handling characteristics.

The consumers will decide if the ILX is more than a gussied up Cavalier - err - Civic.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
drivedata (07-05-2012), evanpik (07-04-2012)