poor front grill / bumper fit problem -- dealer can't or will not fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
poor front grill / bumper fit problem -- dealer can't or will not fix

I had to get the front black plastic grill on my '09 TSX replaced (It was broken; I assume a rock hit hit). The dealer took off the front bumper to replace the part. Now there is a large gap (around 1/8th of an inch in parts) between the lower part of the chrome surrounding the black plastic grill, and the body-coloured bumper. When I picked up the car I complained to the service manager about the large gap, as it looks pretty crappy in my opinion. He had me bring in the car on another day to see if they could fix the problem.When I came to pick up the car a second time the gap was still there; the service manager said they tried but could not eliminate the gap.

My question: Has anyone else run into this problem? Was the service manager BSing me? Is there a "trick" to getting the front bumper to fit properly when re-attaching it, so no gap exists? I assume there is, as there are no gaps on cars leaving the factory.

I would like to reference any pertinent information when I ask Honda Canada to cover the cost of taking it to another dealer to properly fix the problem.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Further to my note above .. unfortunately I don't have a picture to post.

However, here is an example of painted grill car with the same problem, except its gap is not nearly as wide as mine.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Racer

I think I remember someone (derwood i believe) telling me to be careful and make sure that all of the little clips get connected (when my bf installed my sport bumper), otherwise you risked a big gap.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Yes that is true. When I installed my new grille the first time, I did not do it properly and I had a very large gap. Here are some crappy phone pics from half a year ago. (good thing I decided to take some pics of it haha)

hope this helps some how
Old 06-17-2009, 01:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
That was a picture from Acura of Reno.

If I recalled correctly, Darren mentioned something about the clips not installed properly by the dealer, hence the large gap. (He installed the aero package himself).
Old 06-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Here's the thread https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/acura-reno-showroom-tsx-694132/

DerwoodEE said "They didn't get the prongs in correctly when reinstalling the grill, that's why there's a slight gap on the bottom part of it. I almost did that when I installed my Aero bumper too. And the color looks slightly off."
Old 06-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone above is correct. I've mentioned this numerous times in other threads.

The grill is somewhat tricky to get back in place on the bumper. There are tiny clips that line the bottom of the grill that latch onto a little lip of the bumper. If you don't get it to latch, you end up having the gap that you speak of. Your dealer is full of shit and they're just being too lazy to realize they're not getting the clips to latch correctly. I found this problem initially because I installed the Aero kit myself and noticed it right away when I put the grill on the bumper before I installed the bumper back on the car, luckily I was able to fix it right away.

If I were you, I'd just pull the bumper off yourself and fix it rather than letting the dealer BS you any further. It's pretty easy to do, I can get the bumper off in about 10 mins now.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Racer

wow 10 minutes? can you do a video walk thru lol