Picked up 2011 Wagon, Rear Ended 10 Min Later

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Picked up 2011 Wagon, Rear Ended 10 Min Later

That was fun. Picked up the 2011 wagon in the storm yesterday (hard cold rain, no snow here on Long Island). Not ten minutes after driving off the dealer lot with my 4-year-old in the back seat, we got rear ended while waiting at a light. Two tiny little marks in the bumper. We got hit fairly hard, so I was surprised there wasn't more damage.

The woman in back of me got hit WAY hard. Damaged her bumper. Luckily she had stopped about 12 feet in back of me and had time to step on the brakes.

Called the cops because woman in the middle said her neck hurt and she had a baby and 8-year-old in the car that she was worried about. The person who caused the accident behind her was a young girl, probably 20. I didn't speak with her. We all pulled in a parking lot and waited in our cars while the cold rain came down.

Suddenly, the parents of the girl who caused the accident arrived and started to harass me and the other driver, saying there was no damage, why did we call the cops? The mother started screaming, saying that I had "stopped fast." I explained that we had all been waiting at a light. After getting shouted at and questioned for another few minutes, I said I wasn't going to talk to them anymore, that we'd all talk to the police and get a report taken. That's when they really got irate. Husband wanted to "settle this right here and now." I told the other driver "get in your car, take care of your kids, we'll wait for the police." I got in my car as the mother of the young girl came up to my car and started yelling through the window.

A few seconds later, the mother & dad and the girl took off. Luckily I had gotten her plate. When the police arrived, they asked if I wanted to be involved since I didn't have any damage. I said not if they didn't need me for anything. Left my number with the woman who had been hit hard, and luckily for me, got to leave. I didn't know where my registration was, and I didn't have my insurance card with me, having just picked up the car. Was pretty stressed out.

Today I got a call from the husband of the woman who got hit. Apparently, the police spent an hour trying to convince the girl and her father to come back to the scene. Eventually they did, and now the dad was claiming "my daughter never hit anyone."

The world is full of wonderful people.

So I wonder if this means my TSX is cursed, or if I just got the first scratch over with. Didn't really enjoy driving it today. Hope I warm up to it.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
My TSX is a year and a half old, just shy of 13,000 miles and has been in two accidents [See my other thread for the most recent]. On the other hand, it's never had a door ding

Hope yours gives you several hundred thousand trouble free miles.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:53 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
^ Awww man I feel really bad for you guys. OP bought a new wagon, drove it off the lot an BAM! He gets hit. Btw I'd have your bumper removed to check for any "unseen" damage. Glad you an your little one is ok.

S40Driver I hope your doing ok too. Your hydroplaning incident aftermath was hard to look at. The good news is that both of you guys are able to walk away. Very sorry to hear about the TSX-es but they are replaceable an did their job: to protect the occupants.

My last car was in 2 wrecks in 3 months! Anywho I'm hoping for the best for you guys!
The following users liked this post:
s40 driver (11-06-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 11:56 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
sucks bro, NY is rough, and people are fucking retarded, i also would be livid about ANY scratch on my brand new car. Fucking make sure that dumb bitch gets nailed
Old 10-31-2011, 12:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I would say that it's good you were able to drive off. Nowadays (read: now that I'm older), I'd rather get away from difficult people and cut my losses rather than try to do "what's right". Please give your car another chance. The wagon is a great vehicle and I am sure you will enjoy it.

My only ever collision was not my fault, and I even got out of my car and comforted the lady who ran into me. She was a religious Korean lady and even told me "bless you for your kindness." Fast forward a couple of months and her insurance company claims that *I* made an unsafe lane change. I never did get my $1K deductible back, but I can sleep at night knowing I did the right thing. Not so sure about that insurance adjuster though.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:09 AM
Pro

Received 541 Likes on 238 Posts
That really sucks... A week after I bought the TSX, I was parked and someone backed up into me. They came out and was like "we will take care of everything" Then I told them "I understand but this car is BRAND NEW, I need to call the cops." Then they went crazy and was bitching it was my fault.

You should def check your bumper and have their insurance fix it. It's a brand new car!!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:53 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Damn!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:22 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
OY!!!!!

Man, very sorry to hear this, people are crazy. The first blemish is the toughest, after that, not so much. Good to hear it was minor & all, but 10 minutes?!?!?!?
Old 10-31-2011, 07:41 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
It's amazing that a car could be made and shipped half the way around the world, and it gets banged-up within 10 minutes of ownership.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Advanced

Thanks everyone... I'm still in a mood about this. It was a pretty lousy experience.

I wonder how the bumper is constructed under the cover? There is just two little indentations where the woman's license plate screws hit my bumper. You can't really even see it. I really don't want to get the lady's insurance involved and I'm inclined to just let it go as much as I can and certainly don't want to be taking the bumper off to see if anything's damaged underneath. I know it's a safety issue, but if there isn't so much as a crack in the paint, it can't have been that bad. Nice to see that these bumpers can withstand a 5mph bump like they're supposed to. I didn't think any newer car would withstand that with all the molded plastic and no real "bumpers" to speak of.

Took the car for a ride on Sunday, which was sunny, and am really trying to like it and get this out of my head. It's difficult though. Every new Saab I got, I just felt like the car "got me" and that I was meant to be in it. I don't get that feeling with the TSX.

My wife loves it though (she wasn't with my son and I when we got hit) and she's the one who will be driving it most of the time.

I continue to hope I will warm up to it. I don't know how much is me still smarting over Saturday and how much is just getting used to the car.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:31 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
lesson learned, dont buy a car during a storm...
Old 10-31-2011, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds like the young girl may have been involved in accidents before and the parents dont want to be "sued" again.

All I know is if that happened down here in Dallas the parents and the young girl would have been arrested for leaving a scene of an accident.

I just know to always take pics. In Texas the person who hit you from behind is always at fault. So if you got pics of the car and the damage can be matched you have no worries.

Hope everything works out well for you. I think your car is fine, just a little scuffed. Thats my
Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Professor
It's amazing that a car could be made and shipped half the way around the world, and it gets banged-up within 10 minutes of ownership.
That's basically what came to my mind as well.

People suck. Sorry to hear about the accident, what a way to ruin an otherwise great day.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Thats definitely leaving the scene of an accident, not cursed just shitty weather bought my car on Labor Day tree branches fell these weekend and need repairs already!

.... Wow they hit you and they have the nerve to harass you leave and then deny the whole thing...
Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
They'll get what they deserve. They always do, even if it takes 30 years. Sorry to hear about it but such is life. Glad you were able to keep your cool. I would have hauled off and thrown dear 'ole dad's head into window. I personally don't stand for harassment of any kind but it is certainly one of my shortcomings. Wish I had more patience. Good luck to you though. I don't think your car is cursed. It is just one those things. Take care. Hope dad goes to jail for obstruction and evasion.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'd taken pics of that bitch and her car, her plates, her face in the car right on the spot. showed it to the police.

Originally Posted by potmilkz
lesson learned, dont buy a car during a storm...
never pick up a new car during a storm.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Thank god you or your kid weren't hurt. Another reason i hate most people, they're assholes.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn, you picked an awful day to pick up the car. This was Saturday 2 days before Halloween right? We didn't get much snow but the conditions were pretty bad. I live in Brooklyn.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
OP from my experience of being in an accident, the 20 y/o girl's insurance would be responsible if she hit the middle car into your car. I was in a 4 car accident (car #2) and the guy behind me was hit into me. He was never cited and the 4th car's insurance paid for my damages.

Sucks about your accident.. I still park in the back of parking lots so I don't get door dings! My wife hates when I try to find a parking spot
Old 11-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, and glad everyone is okay!

And this is yet another perfect example of why some kids these days will never grow up: not only are parents bailing them out all of the time, but they refuse to admit when their kid is wrong! I work w/ a few people who are on the phone all day long with their late 20-somethings who call Mommy for anything and everything, and you would swear from the conversations that they were dealing with 5 year olds...
Old 11-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by coooolwhip
Damn, you picked an awful day to pick up the car. This was Saturday 2 days before Halloween right? We didn't get much snow but the conditions were pretty bad. I live in Brooklyn.
On a side note.....I just picked up a 2009 PM TSX with only 12,855 on it that originated from Brooklyn.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:13 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
sorry about the new ride. thankfully everyone was ok. why do some people suck that they ruin it for people who try to do the right thing? stupid girl. she probably won't ever learn from her mistakes if her parents are like that. (sigh) what has our society turned into?

i'd still be pissed if it was my NEW car.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:30 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by mg7726
i'd taken pics of that bitch and her car, her plates, her face in the car right on the spot. showed it to the police.

never pick up a new car during a storm.
Pics of the bitch.

Lol! I'm glad you're okay! hopefully this is just your car getting all it's bad out luck out early!
Old 11-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by coooolwhip
Yeah. I couldn't believe how bad it was out. We needed the car for the following week or I would have waited. It was bad enough driving home in it. Then having to be outside talking to the peeps and the cop... It was just a horrible day. I'm just now finally warming up to the car a month later.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Sorry to hear about this, and glad everyone is okay!

And this is yet another perfect example of why some kids these days will never grow up: not only are parents bailing them out all of the time, but they refuse to admit when their kid is wrong! I work w/ a few people who are on the phone all day long with their late 20-somethings who call Mommy for anything and everything, and you would swear from the conversations that they were dealing with 5 year olds...
And what a terrible example to set for your kid -- get out of any responsibility at any cost, even lying. Honestly, I really *should* have taken a picture of her and her folks and then made a website out of them.