Our TSX SportWagon saved us...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Our TSX SportWagon saved us...

I haven't written much in here since we got our TSX SportWagon. My wife drives it mostly, since it replaced our Saab 9-5 wagon. I only get to drive it on long trips.

One of the reasons I bought the Acura was because I knew it would be a safe car. Honestly, I couldn't afford the GLK350 we were also looking at, and I also thought the 28-30mpg highway we would get with the Acura was appealing.

I later saw the roof crush test done by I think the IIHS and I saw the Acura was with some good company: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/roof/detailsbyclass.aspx?15

So I felt good about my wife and 5-year-old driving around in the car. And when I *did* get the chance to drive it, well, it was a lot of fun. My wife and I really came to love the car.

So Tuesday I had the day off from work for a doctor's appointment and my wife was driving me. We had just turned on the Long Island Expressway service road and were probably going about 45mph. We were approaching an intersection and had a full green. We could see for a block away that we had that green. We were almost in the intersection when a Nissan Xterra or Armada, not sure which, blew through the red light. We knew we were going to hit him. There wasn't enough time to do anything, nor was there anywhere to go. We hit him full speed. The driver's front took most of the damage, and then the driver's side of the car slammed against the truck with so much force that the two wheels on his passenger side imprinted in the driver's side of our car.

All the front airbags went off, and my wife's whole side of the car as well. Somehow, my wife was able to get the car to the side of the road.

The car held it's shape for the most part, and we were able to open the doors and get out. We were both shaken, and I had hit my knee. I also think my wife hurt her wrist when the airbag came out of the steering wheel.

But we were OK, and the car was remarkable. We both really credit it for allowing us to basically walk away. It wasn't a 70mph collision, but 45mph to a dead stop, walking away, I think in a lot of other cars we would at least have had some much more serious injuries. We refused medical treatment and went to see the chiropractor immediately. She worked on us both for 30-45 minutes, we iced our necks and backs, and tried to rest. We're still sore a couple days later, but we'll take it.

I can't imagine they will repair the car, but the guy at the shop said it's possible, but it will be borderline. They'll know more once they start digging.

We're headed to the auto show this weekend and will probably see what else is out there, but neither one of us thinks at this point anything is going to sway us out of getting another Acura. Probably another SportWagon, but we'll also have to check out the new RDX.

So I just wanted to share this lengthy story to say if you ever had any doubts about the safety of your TSX SportWagon (or your TSX), well, I was severely impressed with how the car behaved in such an accident.

Thank you, Acura.

Last edited by spg900ny; 04-04-2013 at 10:00 AM.
The following 17 users liked this post by spg900ny:
Acura_Dude (04-04-2013), apinwp09GBTSX (04-04-2013), billyt1963 (04-05-2013), dpunzalan (04-05-2013), Harper (04-06-2013), Honda_boy83 (04-06-2013), iSeeYouTwo (04-04-2013), Ken1997TL (04-04-2013), MC MiYoung3269 (04-04-2013), Mischa25 (04-05-2013), mr2core (04-04-2013), optimusaccord (04-17-2013), Puppetmaster (04-04-2013), RayBarboni (04-05-2013), s40 driver (04-05-2013), ttk5 (04-04-2013), WheelMcCoy (04-06-2013) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
wow! great read!
also glad that you and your wife walked without serious injury

the car gods were looking over you that day
The following users liked this post:
spg900ny (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
That's crazy! Glad that you were both unhurt for the most part. Hope insurance and/or the other party compensates you sufficiently.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Goody story. I'm glad to know that my car will keep me safe if I ever get into a bad accident some day. Do you happen to have any pictures of the accident? I like pictures.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Advanced

I only have a couple quick snaps I took when USAA told me to go get all my stuff out of the car, and pick up the plates.

Let's see if I can get these to post... OK, working on it...

Last edited by spg900ny; 04-04-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:23 AM
2010 TSX

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
ouch, glad you and your wife are ok.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Bonehead

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, I was expecting the car to looks worse, didn't even break the window. Should still be a total though. Glad to know the airbags work!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
wow GLAD YOU ARE ALL OK.......and a bit happier about driving the wagon/
Old 04-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ScottyWM
Wow, I was expecting the car to looks worse, didn't even break the window. Should still be a total though. Glad to know the airbags work!
Yep. They worked great. I don't know if we hit them or if our seat belts stopped us first. Either way, I had no marks from the airbags. The window actually smashed above the passenger's airbag. The tech asked me if I hit the window, and I'm sure I didn't. Had to be the airbag deploying.

Actually, my wife grabbed my glasses right after and put them on thinking they were hers -- she was scared that she couldn't see until she realized she was wearing mine, so I'm not sure what happened.

But yeah, I expected the car to look a lot worse as well. Like I said, it wasn't a 70mph collision, but it was definitely 40mph, perhaps 45mph. My wife thinks she didn't even have time to hit the brakes and I think she's right. I imagine there's probably lots of crushed metal in the body that we can't see that took the impact. But amazing how the hood stayed put, and the doors were structurally fine. I don't know how much more an extra 30mph would have done, and who knows what happens if you hit someone in oncoming traffic, but overall, I am EXTREMELY satisfied and think that this car has to be just as safe as Merc, Audi, BMW, Volvo, etc.

The guy at the auto body shop said, "if this was a Toyota or Nissan you would have been in a world of hurt."
Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Wow, glad to hear you both made it in one piece. I'm going to drive my wagon later today with even more confidence in its engineering.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:20 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
I would have to agree with you on Honda's engineering. My accident was somewhat similar to yours and I was able to walk away with just severe whiplash but everything else intact. I went to the hospital but everything was okay except for my neck. Loved my TSX so I bought another one. Very glad you and your wife are fine. Even happier your little one wasn't in the car at the time.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK. Yeah, the safety aspects of the TSX is one of reasons I bought the TSX too. It feels solid and has great ratings on crash safety.

I got to experience the safety aspects for myself a year ago. I was rear ended on the freeway by a guy driving a Ford Econo van (or whatever those big work vans are). I was at a dead stop on the freeway and he hit me to what I estimate to be about 40 to 50 mph. The force was so bad that it lifted me off my seat and pushed the car into the car in front of me. Both the front and rear of the car were crumpled in, but the passenger compartment remained intact other than a shattered rear window (the trunk lid buckled into the window).

Insurance totaled the car, but I walked away with just a sore back. I loved that 2011 TSX so much, that I bought a 2012 TSX.

Didn't mean to thread jack your story, just wanted to share. Glad you're OK, now go get yourself a 2013!
spg900ny (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Stig CA
Didn't mean to thread jack your story, just wanted to share. Glad you're OK, now go get yourself a 2013!
Not jacking at all! Glad you're OK too... These are remarkable cars. Don't be surprised if I come back on here with a new TSX.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:01 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

i would highly recommend another TSX
Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Wow! I'm glad you and your wife are ok, and glad the little one wasn't with yall. Sorry about the car, but it speaks volumes how safe it is. Wouldn't surprise me if you guys bought another one.

Take care and you guys try to get some rest. You may be sore for a couple of more days.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Glad to hear that you are okay. That, more than anything else, is the important thing.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
I'm very happy that you two walked away relatively unscathed. i would assume your 5 year old was not in the car? If not, it's a good thing that she/he did not have to experience that. It's traumatic enough for an adult.
You are right these cars are built well. My wife for the most part walked away from a direct hit on the drivers door a few months ago.

It's safe to say that the car is totaled. Once the bags blow, that's a ton of money right there. I would say 5-7k just for the systems and then the interior trim that was damaged.

Don't sign off on the insurance for injuries for at least 6 months. Make sure you know that the first offer that the insurance offers is not always the final.

We are still dealing with the guilty partys' insurance since December, but it's an Injury thing that we dealing with.
spg900ny (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
my wife now has our 09 tsx and i never have a worry about her driving it. An Acura has lessened her injuries a few times now.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
That's some decent damage for 45mph hit and don't even want to imagine what it would have been like if the other jerk hole was going any faster. Glad you and the wifey are ok for the most part. I'm in the market now for a TSX Wagon for my wife and she is normally driving our 2 year old around. Good to know the car will do a good job of protecting them.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Glad you are safe and sound! Hopefully they total it out and you can get something with a clean vehicle history.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone.

Yeah, we're going to see what the other insurance company says and I'm pretty sure it will be totaled as well. The trim was even broken on the rear passenger door, and there were at least four or five airbags that went off, destroying the trim. The guy at the body shop says NY state mandates all new Acura parts. He said that means new seats too, which can't be cheap.

The party is insured by a small carrier that I looked up last night. What I read was not encouraging. Lots of complaints about claims that dragged on and on. I'm going to try to stay positive and appreciate that people mostly go online to complain, not to give unsolicited opinions about how great their experience was with X carrier...

I just hope we're treated fairly. We're not going to ask for more than I feel we're entitled to - we're not going to ask for any pain and suffering or anything like that, since we are both reasonably OK (sore to be sure, but nothing broken), but I do feel that we should not be "out of pocket" for this at all. I want them to cover the cost above and beyond what USAA is paying for my wife's rental (we have a Volvo that cost the same as the Acura -- it was either that or a Nissan or BMW they had on the lot), and my lost wages dealing with this (a day and a half). Plus the car of course, but I think USAA will handle that part of it.

And if we don't get that, I'll probably have to hire a lawyer. I'm sure the driver of the vehicle doesn't want his cellphone records pulled to see what he was doing when the accident occurred, and if I have any problems, I'll be sure to mention that as well. But hopefully everything will be OK.

Any advice is welcomed.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:13 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

i'm almost certain it's totaled. in my accident, the driver seat airbag went off, the window airbags went off for both the front and back on the driver and passenger side. i was told that each airbag is like ~5k to replace. not sure how true it is but yea. if the other person's insurance is shitty (like in my case as well) you'll just be forced to go with your own insurance who should pay out the right amount, then your insurance will just go after their insurance to recover whatever they can. that's what i had to do at least.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:37 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by spg900ny
Thanks for the well-wishes everyone.

Yeah, we're going to see what the other insurance company says and I'm pretty sure it will be totaled as well. The trim was even broken on the rear passenger door, and there were at least four or five airbags that went off, destroying the trim. The guy at the body shop says NY state mandates all new Acura parts. He said that means new seats too, which can't be cheap.

The party is insured by a small carrier that I looked up last night. What I read was not encouraging. Lots of complaints about claims that dragged on and on. I'm going to try to stay positive and appreciate that people mostly go online to complain, not to give unsolicited opinions about how great their experience was with X carrier...

I just hope we're treated fairly. We're not going to ask for more than I feel we're entitled to - we're not going to ask for any pain and suffering or anything like that, since we are both reasonably OK (sore to be sure, but nothing broken), but I do feel that we should not be "out of pocket" for this at all. I want them to cover the cost above and beyond what USAA is paying for my wife's rental (we have a Volvo that cost the same as the Acura -- it was either that or a Nissan or BMW they had on the lot), and my lost wages dealing with this (a day and a half). Plus the car of course, but I think USAA will handle that part of it.

And if we don't get that, I'll probably have to hire a lawyer. I'm sure the driver of the vehicle doesn't want his cellphone records pulled to see what he was doing when the accident occurred, and if I have any problems, I'll be sure to mention that as well. But hopefully everything will be OK.

Any advice is welcomed.
Some of us are just lucky to have USAA - but - unfortunately you are having to deal with another iffy company as well.

A few suggestions

Go to your doctors now and get checked out. You can feel perfectly fine now but have issues come up later. You need a doctor's visit documented.

At the first sign of trouble get a lawyer involved. Don't feel bad about calling one of those "daytime TV" "if you've been involved in an accident, call the SHARK" or whoever your local ambulance chaser is.

You'll want that car totalled - accept no less.

The other party has no say in what records get held back and they can't influence the insurance company. The issue is between you, USAA and the other insurance. If you end up filing through USAA, don't forget to get your deductible back from the other insurance company.

I assume there was a police report. Insist on getting a copy.

Good luck
Old 04-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow man, glad you guys are okay, 45 mph and hitting a car like that is quite a blow! I would guess 75% or more accidents are just like yours. I'm more than impressed with how the TSX held up, makes me feel better!

Glad you guys are alright.

If their insurance starts to balk or waiver, let them know immediately that you and your wife are experiencing more and more pain and are going to be going to the doctor to get it all checked out. They will move quickly, I promise.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow! Glad both you and your wife are okay! That sounded like a horror story reading it "45mph to dead stop" :/ The damage looked better than i imagined, but for sure picking up a new ride would be my suggestion. Chassis and front axels are definitely messed from the impact, also noticeable in the pic too. Acura's are mad reliable. I had a 2004 TSX and had ZERO issues. All I ever experienced were wear and tear on parks such as brake pads and oil changes lol which every car experiences. 8 years of it and not 1 issue but decided to get a 2nd gen and i've been loving it since day1.

However, on a side note, the new RDX is definitely a sweet ride. Just one thing to keep in mind tho, the RDX uses a civic chassis i believe, which is completely different to the TSX chassis. I'd still say stick to Acura tho haha <3 HONDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAs

Good luck with purchase and hope you and your wife have a quick recovery.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Glad to hear you guys are okay! That's the most important thing. And man, these Acuras are built tough. For such an impact, your wagon doesn't look too bad. I'm glad I picked up a wagon.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Advanced

Well, total loss according to USAA this week. AND guess what? While Kemper Insurance might be terrible, the fact is the guy who ran the light didn't bother to tell them that he had moved from CA to NY AND lucky me, he missed a payment so they are basically going to deny the claim.

Luckily USAA will pay out now and then go after him for their money + my deductible. I'm sure whoever financed his 2011 Nissan will be REAL happy to hear their property has been damaged by $10-15K or so with no insurance.

Unfortunately, this is probably one of my last posts here. We got a good offer to lease a 2012 leftover TSX wagon, but after test driving the new 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited (and for $25 more a month, almost washed out by cheaper insurance on the Jeep oddly enough), we fell in love, so that will be our new family car. Hopefully it will protect us just as well if god forbid something like this ever happens again.

I have to think the odds against someone running a red light and us hitting them are pretty remote. Still, there are a lot of distracted drivers out there. LOTS of them.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Best of luck and glad you and the wife are A-OK. Nice choice on the Jeep but is it with awful looking front end redesign? Acura front ends are no beauty queens but that Jeep....If you love the Jeep then you'd love the Durango as well which is esentially the same car but better looking imo.

Last edited by gonzo08452; 04-12-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gonzo08452
Best of luck and glad you and the wife are A-OK. Nice choice on the Jeep but is it with awful looking front end redesign? Acura front ends are no beauty queens but that Jeep....If you love the Jeep then you'd love the Durango as well which is esentially the same car but better looking imo.
I think the one you might have been looking at that has been, ahem, met with some online controversy, is the regular Cherokee, which replaces the Liberty (and the Liberty has been known worldwide as the Cherokee, just not here). We saw it in person at the NY Auto Show and it is an acquired taste. Not as bad in person, especially in TrailHawk trim level. Still really weird looking though. Its big draw will be the rated 31mpg highway, and it really does seem to be a total off-road capable machine. We probably would have looked at it if it had been available right now. That's the problem with the Durango as well -- I think the new one isn't out right now. Plus, it's three rows, right (which we don't need)?

The regular Grand Cherokee was "refreshed" this year, and gets the 8-speed transmission which brings MPG up to 24 highway on the AWD version which was a big factor in our decision. If you want the diesel, you will probably do 30mpg or better on the highway, but for $4500, we skipped it. The GC takes regular gas, so between putting premium in the Acura and losing 4-5mpg, we'll be pretty close in fuel costs. Less than two cents per mile difference, or about $20/month.

And I know that the Jeep is still a Chrysler, but I don't think I'm ready to buy a "Dodge" just yet. Acura to Jeep seems much more palatable from a branding perspective. Plus, we already have a Wrangler (my daily driver) in the household.

But if you get a chance to check out the interior, that and the test drive itself are what really sold us. Holy crap. What a nice handling vehicle. I thought it would be boat-like, but it's nice and tight, really secure feeling on the road. And the interior is comparable to Acura, at least I felt so.

But damn, I will miss our beloved wagon.
gonzo08452 (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 04:44 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Congrats on the new Jeep. I remember seeing the new GC on tv as a 2011 model and really liked it. Especially in Overland trim. Then Jeep released the new SRT-8. You don't have to leave though.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Advanced

Thanks Acura_Dude. I'll probably hang around a bit. My love for these vehicles has not waned. If anything, it has just gotten stronger as a result of this. The brand just doesn't have a good fit model-wise for my family at the moment.

And yeah, if only I could afford the Overland or SRT.