Newbie here, looking for some input/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Newbie here, looking for some input/opinions

First post here. Long time Ford fan, currently daily driving a F150 SuperCrew. I live in the Ford forum, and I came here seeking valuable information. I found a ton! Thank you to you all for posting a variety of info.

For the past 5 days I've reading up on the 09+ TSX because my wife is due a new vehicle in the next two months or so. We are replacing her '98 Civic with 159K on the ticker. We currently are without children, but that is very likely to change within two years.

She wants something sporty, practical, not too big, and it has to have a sunroof (her ONLY requirement really), so that's why I'm here. I just drove a '10 Grigio Metallic w/ Tech this weekend. 2.4L with 5spd auto. I'm impressed.

So I've found plenty of reasons why I should purchase this vehicle for my wife:
Fun to drive. Roomy enough to "comfortably" sit 4 adults (I realize comfort is a relative term). Quick. Nimble. Fuel friendly. SAFE!

My question to all of you...are there any reasons that I should not buy the TSX?
I know that I'm opening a potentially brutal door here, but as a "truck" guy I'm slightly out of my comfort zone with the TSX. I've found that it's a wonderful vehicle, but is there anything I'm missing? I've only been able to find consistent complaints about the factory audio system's speakers blowing. Is this vehicle that good that the stereo is the only possible complaint?

Thanks in advance. I always like seeing both sides (good & bad) before a purchase.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My inlaws from Northern BC all drive trucks, so I am quite familiar with F150 and F350.

Since you are already a Honda owner, Civic with 159K, I assume it's been a reliable vehicle for you which is one reason you are looking at the TSX. Here's my experience:

Took delivery of my Tech model in June 08, so it's almost 3 years old. The car has been a blast to drive, my wife and two kids love the car also. The sound system is pretty amazing, handles well, great gas mileage ( it's comparable to my previous vehicle - a 90 Civic Si with 260K miles on the ticker when I sold it), seat comfortably, GPS is very helpful on the 8" screen (hard to see when sun glares at it but there a TSB on that).

Warranty repair items include: 2 blown front speakers, cup holder stuck open, front and rear brake pads (premature wear replaced with new redesigned ones). None of the aforementioned problem leave me stranded anywhere, and all the repairs were done during regular maintenance service call so there weren't extra trips to the dealer. Overall, it's been a very reliable and fun vehicle which is what I expected from Honda/Acura.

Good Luck.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Racer

You're right on the money about the Civic. It costs us about $200-$400 a year to maintain at this point. Drivetrain seals, O2 sensor just popped, regular oil change intervals, brakes, the normal stuff. It has been a great car for her, she's had it since new. She's a Honda loyal, and honestly I love them too, I just wish the Ridgeline was more "truck". My father has an '06 Pilot. Love that vehicle for what it is.
I'm leaning heavily on the Tech Package, even though the wife thinks it's not necessary. I think she'll come to love the Navi (even though we have a Garmin) and the back up cam. It'll all come down to what we can fit into our budget, and what is available in the pre-owned market when we finally pull the trigger on the purchase.
Thanks for your words...I appreciate you taking the time to share.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am an avid Honda fan. I got my 2010 base TSX in July 2010.

What it comes down:

Fantastic car. 200 HP is ALL you need. I think the base audio system is awesome. it has 9 speakers (including the subwoofer). The only issue with the car is that at 5k miles, the Acura tech listed my brake pads at 70% life. The Acura TSX has some weak brake pads that will require replacement every 10k-20k miles. It sucks, but to me, I guess it's not too big of a deal. The only regret I have with the car is not having a rear-view camera. The tech package has it but to me, the extra 3k could not justify me getting it for just the rearview camera.

If you're getting a 2010, it should be cheap for a tech. Keep in mind though that the 2011 TSX has rear-vents and other additional features that the previous 2nd gen Acura TSX does not.

As far as ZI know, the only issue that has arised for tech TSX drivers are easy-to-blow speakers. That, and the brakes pad wear.

-adversary
Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For perspective, I owned a 2005 TSX w/Navigation for about 5 years (~130k miles). The ownership was trouble-free, other than normal wear & tear. About a year ago, I traded the TSX for a used '07 Infiniti M35x. While I loved the power, room, and sophistication of the Infiniti, I really missed the sportiness and low cost of ownership of the TSX. Thus, I ultimately sold the Infiniti, drove my wife's MDX until I just recently purchased a 2011 Acura TSX Sports Wagon with Technology Package.

What brought me back to the TSX was:
- Sporty/nimble handling (especially for front-wheel drive)
- Fuel economy
- Low maintenance cost (no timing belt, long intervals for oil changes, etc.)
- Styling

I'm also a huge fan of the Technology Package. The Acura/ELS surround sound stereo is phenomenal.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
how tall are you and your wife?

there's a few guys on here that posted that the seats were uncomfortable for them during the long drives. unbearable back problems. i remember them saying they were tall but not sure if they were husky, skinny or medium built.

im 5'7 with back problems from a previous accident but i have no issues with the seats during long commutes.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Racer

I took about a 25-30 minute drive on Saturday. I found the seats to be very comfy. Loved the bolstering in the front.
I'm just over 6'2'' and the wife is about 5'7". Both slender, but my wide shoulders didn't seem to be a problem in the TSX. I thought that the adjustable lumber support in the driver's seat was worlds better than in my F150 (also adjustable).
Low maintenance is a huge factor for me. I've always praised Honda for that through the years and it continues to pull me back.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
please get a tech! you wont regret it!

you might miss it though if you get a base in the future...its much more than a simple navigation interface!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Racer

Ha! Just like over on the Ford forum...I love how we all so gladly will spend each other's money when given the chance.

But seriously, I would love any and all honest feedback that you guys and gals can provide. More so, I would love to have the wife sit down and just read through this thread if I can get enough info.

Keep it coming!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
I have about 23,000 miles on my 2010, base with 6MT, and overall it's a wonderful car. I love the engine, chassis dynamics, clutch/shifter, seats, and ergonomics. The handling is truly outstanding for a FWD sedan, and the ride is perfectly acceptable for an urban daily driver. It's been rock solid reliable.

My only major gripe is with the steering, which is numb generally, but especially on-center. It doesn't have a strong return to center for the last few degrees, and never feels as locked-in on the highway as it should. It's not terrible, but it should be much better. (Maybe different tires would help.) Off center, effort builds nicely, and it has a perfectly linear, precise response.

I've also had a couple of creaks/rattles, and I'm not crazy about the iPod interface.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Op is too busy to care

Originally Posted by MCDavis
Ha! Just like over on the Ford forum...I love how we all so gladly will spend each other's money when given the chance.

But seriously, I would love any and all honest feedback that you guys and gals can provide. More so, I would love to have the wife sit down and just read through this thread if I can get enough info.

Keep it coming!

sorry man i know its easy to spend what you dont have (ie: when its not yours) but i am also of the personal opinion that if I cant get what i want then it is better to wait than to buy with regret!

The tech package is definitely a great upgrade on the tsx so wait it out if you have too
Old 02-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KillerG
sorry man i know its easy to spend what you dont have (ie: when its not yours) but i am also of the personal opinion that if I cant get what i want then it is better to wait than to buy with regret!

The tech package is definitely a great upgrade on the tsx so wait it out if you have too
You're very right and I agree with you 100%. If it were going to be my daily driver, then there would be no question in the matter...Tech all the way. The wife is less of an enthusiast and less tech savvy as well. Honestly, she'd be happy in a cloth lined Accord. Me on the other hand...not so much. I couldn't even do cloth in my truck.

Nedmundo, it's funny that you bring up the steering. Have you driven a F150 ever? Talk about numb! I actually thought that the steering feel in the TSX was great as compared to what I drive daily. Not to mention the TSX steering wheel itself is probably 30% smaller than the bus-like wheel in my truck.

Thanks again for everyone's tid bits of info. I'll take all I can get.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Op is too busy to care

Sir, i understand. The TSX steering is fine but the earlier model (09) has a bit of a deadzone in the center, in the 2010/11 i believe its been nullified by Acura to an extent so thats it much less noticeable.

That being said, the deadzone in my 09 doesnt really bother me at all i barely notice it
Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hello and welcome!

So I've had my 2010 TSX w/tech for about 5 months now and I'm very satisfied. I actually came from a 2006 TSX w/navi and here are some things I noticed.

- Butt dyno suggests the new model has more oomph and torque. Probably because the power steering on the 2010 model is now electronic compared to the hydraulic counterpart on the 2006 model.
- I feel less connected to the road through the steering wheel and this is probably due to the electronic power steering. However, the drive by wire technology in the accelerator pedal is leaps and bounds better (feels more like the cable counterpart in older vehicles).
- Technology (Navi) package is superior in the 2010 model. I really appreciate the USB connection/ipod enabled interface with the tech package (not available in 2006 model). The live traffic/weather service offered by the satellite radio company was spotty. I actually don't recall the weather service ever working in the 3 month trial period. Voice recognition has improved as well.
- The car overall feels larger (obviously), both inside and outside (driving it feels large). But feels less sporty than the 2006 model. The rear seat cabin space doesn't feel like it has improved. I think the 2006 model has a more sporty feel in the suspension department, the 2010 model has a more refined ride.
-The ergonomics of the dashboard and controls are improved. Moving to a none touch screen display, imo, is a step in the right direction.
- I've already had a fog lamp assembly break. Maybe misfortune but I drove over 50k in the 2006 model over 3 years and never broke a light.

Honestly, I wished I had at least test driven other cars in the same price range (new). Just to have a more unbiased perspective. But like your wife, I'm a honda loyal as well (I actually own a 2000 civic si and love it to death and recently sold my 05 RSX-S which I miss dearly).

I'd push for the tech package, but I'm in favor of having all the bells and whistles out of the box and OEM, especially in newer cars.

Good luck with your future car purchase, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever car you purchase!

Enjoy your stay!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:04 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
well, looks liek u got all the pros of the car as well as most of the cons. heres a few that I feel:

- SOMETIMES it feels a bit underpower (ie, when the car is full) but maybe because im still young and have that urge for power

- very safe, it is the main reason my parents bought me the car

- trunk space is great, and u can put down the rear seats for more space. might not seem useful, but def. helped me many times

- factory brakes arent the best, but covered under warrenty. mine started squeaking at 8k, and was fixed in about an hour while i enjoy my free coffee, wifi,and movie at the dealer

- maintenence is good, stealership might charge you more for services. but if you do it yourself, or find a good local honda mechanic around your area (thats what i do) its A LOT cheaper, and probably does a even better job

- sound system is acutally pretty good on the base system, so i can only imagine how much better it is with the tech

- usb music port; LOVEE IT. sure, the scrolling for the ipods isnt THAT great, but i've gotten used to it.

- bluetooth; great tool.

good luck on ur decision!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TSX's are for Tech minded single people without kids, my I suggest a minivan for your needs.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fallacy
TSX's are for Tech minded single people without kids, my I suggest a minivan for your needs.
You cannot be serious with that comment? I'm new here so I'll keep my gut reaction response to myself.

Aside from that sour note I'm loving all the positive feedback.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
do you have any plans to mod the car like lowering springs?

i dropped it 1.6" and the steering improved a lot.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by defconskylude
do you have any plans to mod the car like lowering springs?

i dropped it 1.6" and the steering improved a lot.
Don't own one yet...still researching.

Since it won't be my daily driver, the mods are probably non existant. It'll be the wife's and I'll have the pleasure of driving it once or twice a week.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Op is too busy to care

Originally Posted by ed_423
well, looks liek u got all the pros of the car as well as most of the cons. heres a few that I feel:

- SOMETIMES it feels a bit underpower (ie, when the car is full) but maybe because im still young and have that urge for power

- very safe, it is the main reason my parents bought me the car

- trunk space is great, and u can put down the rear seats for more space. might not seem useful, but def. helped me many times

- factory brakes arent the best, but covered under warrenty. mine started squeaking at 8k, and was fixed in about an hour while i enjoy my free coffee, wifi,and movie at the dealer

- maintenence is good, stealership might charge you more for services. but if you do it yourself, or find a good local honda mechanic around your area (thats what i do) its A LOT cheaper, and probably does a even better job

- sound system is acutally pretty good on the base system, so i can only imagine how much better it is with the tech

- usb music port; LOVEE IT. sure, the scrolling for the ipods isnt THAT great, but i've gotten used to it.

- bluetooth; great tool.

good luck on ur decision!
Sometimes when i am accelerating i do wish it had a bit more torque which makes me yearn for the v6 but at the same time i know the tsx is already nose heavy so i figure a fat sixer wouldnt do it any favors in the handling department. As i use this car as a DD/weekend car depending on the season it fits my casual needs very well when i am not roid raging or suffering the need4speed.

I am intrigued by the above comment that says dropping the car helps handling though...time to save money

+1 on everything Ed has so graciously pointed out. trunk space is great. once i fit 2 whole dead bodies in there

The ELS surround (tech pkg) is honestly one of the best surrounds ive heard imo. I have one of them fancy german cars with OEM upgraded sound and the TSX sound system sounds noticeably better. Beats my sister's high end Japanese car system too
Old 02-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
the tsx is a great value for the money, I don't know if you drove the car at night but the xenon lights like on most acuras are terrific!... the car will be a nice upgrade from the civic and should last just as long
Old 02-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Instructor

+1 on everything Ed has so graciously pointed out. trunk space is great. once i fit 2 whole dead bodies in there:
You can totally fit more in there. I moved out of my dorm with the TSX and it all fit in the trunk.

Other than that, my worst complaint would be the brakes in general: squeals and stopping distance.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:43 PM
PWP 2010 TSX

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am 5'7" and slender, like your wife and I am very comfortable in the TSX. I have owned the TSX base for 8 months now and I have no complaints other than the squealing of the brakes.. Which happened for me around 13k miles. (I am at 14.5k)

My speakers work perfectly and none of them have blown out.

I have a 3 year old I take care of and his car seat fits comfortably, a tad bit tight, but that hasn't been bothersome to me.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:59 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

+1 on everything Ed has so graciously pointed out. trunk space is great. once i fit 2 whole dead bodies in there
Old 02-08-2011, 07:09 PM
You see me, I CU2

Received 358 Likes on 284 Posts
Got the TSX this January after upgrading from an 2006 Sentra, great car to drive, power is ample for DD, I know it's not meant for racing so I'm pretty happy with that, safe, Honda Reliability, the sound system is great, no major blind spots, that grille aside, it's one of the better looking cars on the market right now in it's segment I guess you could say its even masculine, depends how your wife will take that or if she cares because to be honest every CU2 TSX I seen so far is driven by a guy LOL..The feature that geeks me out every time (although it may seem minor) is when reversing, the side view mirror tilts down which is so fucking cool LOOOOL its no rear view cam but its very useful since I always reverse park...F nose-in parking hahahaha
Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
You cannot be serious with that comment? I'm new here so I'll keep my gut reaction response to myself.

Aside from that sour note I'm loving all the positive feedback.
Don't worry about that comment, Mcdavis, it's a "fallacy"

I've got two kids of my own and honestly the TSX is just perfect for our needs right now. I honestly wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan unless I had more than 3 kids. Even then I might be in a Pilot before the Odyssey.

If you're a truck guy then I'm assuming you're going to be a bit letdown by the TSX's hp/torque figures. Given your wife's requirements I'd almost suggest the Accord V6 might be good to add to the short list. We chopped it from ours cause it was just too big. Up here in Canada we get the CSX which is an upgraded Civic with the RSX engine. It was a perfect size for my wife and what we ended up with in the end. Funny thing was one of her main requirements was also a sunroof!

Personally I'd advise against the Tech unless she needs to have the backup cam cause I just think the aftermarket GPS units like Garmin can do the job better and cheaper.

I honestly can't think of any reason not to get the TSX though. I don't think anything out there can beat it value-wise. Only problem I've taken it back for are the pinging issue and the premature brake TSB.

Keep us up to date on what she ends up with.

Last edited by 5thTo2nd; 02-08-2011 at 08:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MCDavis (06-06-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Op is too busy to care

for me, every time ive had chicks sit in the car it was the reverse backup camera that blew their panties off
Old 02-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Instructor

for me, every time ive had chicks sit in the car it was the reverse backup camera that blew their panties off
As funny as that sounds, it's quite true.

Originally Posted by 5thTo2nd
Personally I'd advise against the Tech unless she needs to have the backup cam cause I just think the aftermarket GPS units like Garmin can do the job better and cheaper.
But the ELS sound system is part of the tech package! One of my favorite features of the car! Although some people can argue about the quality/value of it.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
MCDavis, welcome to the forum. I won't repeat what others have said, but I will say that although the Tech is ~$3K more, it is not ~$3K up front (unless you're paying cash for the car, of course). Let's say you're doing a 36 month plan: that works out to less than $100/month.

For that amount, I'd go with the Tech any day. Your wife will no doubt appreciate the back-up camera. I don't know anyone who's had one who doesn't. In addition, I have appreciated the voice commands. For example, saying "set temperature 65 degrees" instead of having to tap the temperature button multiple times works really well for me. Lastly, no doubt the base stereo is great, but it does lack the ELS features such as Dolby Pro Logic and DVD-A. If you've never tried DVD-A, I think you might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy!
MCDavis (06-06-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

damn, shuold've gotten the tech

for me...girls seems to get an orgamism when they see my underdash lights LOL. "OMG BLUE LIGHTS!!!" *true story*
Old 02-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Intermediate

I've had my 2010 TSX tech for a few months now, and here are my thoughts:

- VALUE. Cannot beat this car in this segment of entry level luxury sedan/wagon. How many other cars have leather, sunroof, heated seats, Bluetooth, Homelink (garage door remote control), steering wheel paddles for the automatic transmission, etc for this price? The A4 and BMW 3-series wagons will cost $5-15 K more for comparable options/trim.

Thrown in the TSX tech package and you get a good nav system (high definition for 2011), great sound system, and the back-up camera (don't underestmate how useful this feature is, obviously for parallel parking, but especially when you have kids and you're making sure that there are no toys or children behind below your line of sight when backing up).

- RELIABILITY. The 2009 seemed to have some issues with brakes and blown speakers, but I haven't seen that many 2010 owners report those problems. Consumer Reports gave the second generation TSX average reliability, but I wonder if the 2009 model year brought down the average, and the 2010 and 2011 versions will be more reliable.

- PEACE OF MIND. It's a Honda. It'll be reliable, and if it breaks, it will be relatively cheap to repair.

- FUN TO DRIVE. Okay, it's not a race car, but how many of us really need much more than 200 horses under the hood to drive to the grocery store or work? It's much easier to drive than a 3-series, and the TSX has enough zip and handling to make driving fun. It doesn't have that linear acceleration feel of the 3-series, and some people may find the high-revving, 2.4 L, inline-4 cylinder engine in the TSX not their cup of tea, but I get a kick out of it. The ergonomics are great, and it's easy to use all of the controls (especially those on the steering wheel) after 15 minutes of driving - don't be persuaded by the car reviews which criticized the numerous buttons on the dash (although the climate control system could be a little more visual and utilize more dials/levers rather than buttons, but that's a minor criticism).

- FUEL ECONOMY. Not bad on the highway, around 30 mpg which is fairly good in this segment.

- EXCLUSIVITY. Not too many on the road, but this factor may not be important to you. For me, it would kill me to drive a Camry or Accord like every one else.

- TRUNK SPACE. Pretty good for this segment, definitely larger than the 3-series BMW, and the fold down seats with easy quick release levers in the trunk are a great option.

- REAR SEAT. Again more space than the 3-series and the Lexus IS 250/350. Definitely enough space for my 3-year old son's child seat and one slightly squished adult on each side. The Lexus IS rear seat is for children.

- FRONT SEATS. The front seats are super comfortable, have great perforated leather upholstery and have heating elements (although only on the bottom cushion for the front passenger seat).

- FIT AND FINISH. Tight and not a single squeak so far.

- SOUND SYSTEM. Easy to operate, sounds great/awesome, plug in your iPhone or thumbdrive, and go down the road with your tunes.

If you are considering a minivan, PLEASE consider getting the TSX sport wagon instead, it has lots of trunk space, much more sporty and more fun to drive than a minivan. You could also consider the VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI (which gets something crazy like 40+ MPG with its turbodiesel engine, and it has the option for a gigantic panoramic sunroof). People may think I'm crazy for recommending that car on this site, but it's gotta be cooler than a minivan. I never understood why Americans don't like wagons; they're extremely popular in Europe for their practicality. I'd chose a wagon over a minivan in a heart beat.

- MINOR CRITICISMS. Forward visibility could be improved - it's a little difficult to see where the front of the car is since the front hood is long and flat. The same thing applies to judging where the front passenger wheel is when parking; the car is deceptively wide and I hit the curb a couple times with the passenger side wheels when I first tried parallel parking. The view is better in the 3-series, IS, and the Infiniti G37. I think the forward view is made worse by the relatively high dash; I'm 6'1" and I have the seat raised almost all the way to the top setting (thankfully the car has plenty of headroom) just to get a decent view forward (by the way, there's fairly decent legroom behind me when I'm driving). There's also a small blind spot due to relatively wide C-pillar behind the rear passengers; there's definitely not as good rear visibility as compared to a 3-series BMW.

The car is not as luxurious as it could be. Honda cut some corners to keep the price low, but they made reasonable choices that don't affect your driving experience too much (ie, I'd rather get a sound mechanical drivetrain than luxury appointments). The interior door handles and paddle shifters are plastic rather than medal. The 3-series sedan has nicely machined metal parts in these areas, and they definitely feel and look better. There's also no real interior wood trim option in the TSX (the 2011 has fake wood accents in the tech package). My wife's 3-series BMW has beautiful walnut inlays on the dash and the area between the front seats - a very nice touch. That being said the 3-series is really about $10K more than the TSX even with the tech package, and even more if you want a BMW with navigation, etc.

SUMMARY: All in all, I've been extremely happy with my purchase - not a single regret or problem over the first 4-5 months and only 1,300 miles. Everything works as advertised, and I feel confident that I'll be driving and enjoying this car for years. I think you're making a great choice by considering all of your options, especially the TSX.
MCDavis (06-06-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 5thTo2nd
I honestly wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan unless I had more than 3 kids. Even then I might be in a Pilot before the Odyssey.

If you're a truck guy then I'm assuming you're going to be a bit letdown by the TSX's hp/torque figures. Given your wife's requirements I'd almost suggest the Accord V6 might be good to add to the short list. We chopped it from ours cause it was just too big. Up here in Canada we get the CSX which is an upgraded Civic with the RSX engine. It was a perfect size for my wife and what we ended up with in the end. Funny thing was one of her main requirements was also a sunroof!

I honestly can't think of any reason not to get the TSX though. I don't think anything out there can beat it value-wise. Only problem I've taken it back for are the pinging issue and the premature brake TSB.

Keep us up to date on what she ends up with.
I did a little math this morning. The 5.4L in my truck is a torquey SOB and I love that. I too was concerned that the TSX would feel underpowered. Here's what I came up with: The lbs per 1 horsepower ratio is actually better in the TSX: just over 17lbs/hp as compared to just under 19lbs/hp in the truck. The torque figures are another thing, but I doubt that we'll ever tow anything with the TSX
Stepping up from her Civic, the TSX feels like a rocket. Stepping down from the F150 and the TSX is obviously quicker, but doesn't have that same torque thrust that the truck emits. Overall I was impressed with the quickness of the car and how smooth it was.

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
MCDavis, welcome to the forum. I won't repeat what others have said, but I will say that although the Tech is ~$3K more, it is not ~$3K up front (unless you're paying cash for the car, of course). Let's say you're doing a 36 month plan: that works out to less than $100/month.

For that amount, I'd go with the Tech any day. Your wife will no doubt appreciate the back-up camera. I don't know anyone who's had one who doesn't. In addition, I have appreciated the voice commands. For example, saying "set temperature 65 degrees" instead of having to tap the temperature button multiple times works really well for me. Lastly, no doubt the base stereo is great, but it does lack the ELS features such as Dolby Pro Logic and DVD-A. If you've never tried DVD-A, I think you might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy!
Yeah I'm still kicking around the base vs. Tech discussion. It really is going to depend on what we can find available pre-owned. Her family buys from an auction guy, so this will be my first time taking this purchasing route. I'm not sure what to expect just yet, but he's bought and sold 8 vehicles to her family in the past years, and they've all be more than happy with what they received.

Originally Posted by SF Acura TSX
I've had my 2010 TSX tech for a few months now, and here are my thoughts:

- VALUE. Cannot beat this car in this segment of entry level luxury sedan/wagon. How many other cars have leather, sunroof, heated seats, Bluetooth, Homelink (garage door remote control), steering wheel paddles for the automatic transmission, etc for this price? The A4 and BMW 3-series wagons will cost $5-15 K more for comparable options/trim.

Thrown in the TSX tech package and you get a good nav system (high definition for 2011), great sound system, and the back-up camera (don't underestmate how useful this feature is, obviously for parallel parking, but especially when you have kids and you're making sure that there are no toys or children behind below your line of sight when backing up).

- RELIABILITY. The 2009 seemed to have some issues with brakes and blown speakers, but I haven't seen that many 2010 owners report those problems. Consumer Reports gave the second generation TSX average reliability, but I wonder if the 2009 model year brought down the average, and the 2010 and 2011 versions will be more reliable.

- PEACE OF MIND. It's a Honda. It'll be reliable, and if it breaks, it will be relatively cheap to repair.

- FUN TO DRIVE. Okay, it's not a race car, but how many of us really need much more than 200 horses under the hood to drive to the grocery store or work? It's much easier to drive than a 3-series, and the TSX has enough zip and handling to make driving fun. It doesn't have that linear acceleration feel of the 3-series, and some people may find the high-revving, 2.4 L, inline-4 cylinder engine in the TSX not their cup of tea, but I get a kick out of it. The ergonomics are great, and it's easy to use all of the controls (especially those on the steering wheel) after 15 minutes of driving - don't be persuaded by the car reviews which criticized the numerous buttons on the dash (although the climate control system could be a little more visual and utilize more dials/levers rather than buttons, but that's a minor criticism).

- FUEL ECONOMY. Not bad on the highway, around 30 mpg which is fairly good in this segment.

- EXCLUSIVITY. Not too many on the road, but this factor may not be important to you. For me, it would kill me to drive a Camry or Accord like every one else.

- TRUNK SPACE. Pretty good for this segment, definitely larger than the 3-series BMW, and the fold down seats with easy quick release levers in the trunk are a great option.

- REAR SEAT. Again more space than the 3-series and the Lexus IS 250/350. Definitely enough space for my 3-year old son's child seat and one slightly squished adult on each side. The Lexus IS rear seat is for children.

- FRONT SEATS. The front seats are super comfortable, have great perforated leather upholstery and have heating elements (although only on the bottom cushion for the front passenger seat).

- FIT AND FINISH. Tight and not a single squeak so far.

- SOUND SYSTEM. Easy to operate, sounds great/awesome, plug in your iPhone or thumbdrive, and go down the road with your tunes.

If you are considering a minivan, PLEASE consider getting the TSX sport wagon instead, it has lots of trunk space, much more sporty and more fun to drive than a minivan. You could also consider the VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI (which gets something crazy like 40+ MPG with its turbodiesel engine, and it has the option for a gigantic panoramic sunroof). People may think I'm crazy for recommending that car on this site, but it's gotta be cooler than a minivan. I never understood why Americans don't like wagons; they're extremely popular in Europe for their practicality. I'd chose a wagon over a minivan in a heart beat.

- MINOR CRITICISMS. Forward visibility could be improved - it's a little difficult to see where the front of the car is since the front hood is long and flat. The same thing applies to judging where the front passenger wheel is when parking; the car is deceptively wide and I hit the curb a couple times with the passenger side wheels when I first tried parallel parking. The view is better in the 3-series, IS, and the Infiniti G37. I think the forward view is made worse by the relatively high dash; I'm 6'1" and I have the seat raised almost all the way to the top setting (thankfully the car has plenty of headroom) just to get a decent view forward (by the way, there's fairly decent legroom behind me when I'm driving). There's also a small blind spot due to relatively wide C-pillar behind the rear passengers; there's definitely not as good rear visibility as compared to a 3-series BMW.

The car is not as luxurious as it could be. Honda cut some corners to keep the price low, but they made reasonable choices that don't affect your driving experience too much (ie, I'd rather get a sound mechanical drivetrain than luxury appointments). The interior door handles and paddle shifters are plastic rather than medal. The 3-series sedan has nicely machined metal parts in these areas, and they definitely feel and look better. There's also no real interior wood trim option in the TSX (the 2011 has fake wood accents in the tech package). My wife's 3-series BMW has beautiful walnut inlays on the dash and the area between the front seats - a very nice touch. That being said the 3-series is really about $10K more than the TSX even with the tech package, and even more if you want a BMW with navigation, etc.

SUMMARY: All in all, I've been extremely happy with my purchase - not a single regret or problem over the first 4-5 months and only 1,300 miles. Everything works as advertised, and I feel confident that I'll be driving and enjoying this car for years. I think you're making a great choice by considering all of your options, especially the TSX.
WOW this is an incredible post. Thank you for all that information. The wife's brother currently drives a 3-series also. Car rides and drives great, but I can already tell it's interior dimensions are smaller than the TSX. I had the pleasure of riding in the rear seat (I'm just over 6'2'') of his 330 over Christmas for a 45 minute drive. I couldn't sit upright as my head hit the headliner. That sucked. When I got in the TSX this weekend, I still had clearance!

Thanks again to everyone who posted, and yes even those with a little sarcasm. I'm still open to hearing more experiences.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:18 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
First as the female-I did the test driving of the different cars since I would be the main driver. I picked out the one I liked. I was very disappointed with the 05 civic ex-se I owned-it was a P.O.S-one problem after another-traded it for my 06 tsx-love that-has been problem free after almost 120,000 miles. excellent car.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
First as the female-I did the test driving of the different cars since I would be the main driver. I picked out the one I liked. I was very disappointed with the 05 civic ex-se I owned-it was a P.O.S-one problem after another-traded it for my 06 tsx-love that-has been problem free after almost 120,000 miles. excellent car.
I only wish my wife was half as enthusiastic as you are! I honestly feel like I'm purchasing what I want and what she'll be satisfied with. Shouldn't that be the other way around.
I eat sleep and breathe automobiles...my wife does not. But from the sounds of it, she's going to get a nice new (to her) ride!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 AM
it's a car-drive it

I only wish my wife was half as enthusiastic as you are! I honestly feel like I'm purchasing what I want and what she'll be satisfied with. Shouldn't that be the other way around.
I eat sleep and breathe automobiles...my wife does not. But from the sounds of it, she's going to get a nice new (to her) ride!
Since I drive from NC to NJ and back every few weeks-I wanted a car I would be comfortable with. Thanks to my husband I know how to change a flat tire, check the oil and tire pressure. I also take care of washing it.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 AM
kgs
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess you could say its even masculine, depends how your wife will take that or if she cares because to be honest every CU2 TSX I seen so far is driven by a guy LOL
to add some balance as I am one of the few women who posts on this site - I absolutely LOVE my TSX and I don't find it masculine at all. If you want something that looks really masculine - look no further than the TL....that sucker looks downright menacing imo.

Since I echo the majority of the plusses listed above, I'll just add my basic impression. I've had my car since the beginning of October and have put on 6900 miles. Its an awesome car to commute in. It completely changed my 40 mile ride (that can take up to 2 hours on horrible days) - my old BMW 325xi used to kill me and after a brutal 2 hour commute, I'd be ready to kill someone when I walked into the office. Not with my TSX! It's so easy to drive - I don't mind the steering feel and find myself usually driving with one hand at the bottom of the wheel which is a nice change from all the muscle required to drive the BMW. I find it has plenty of power and can easily zip around people who are doggin' it on the highway. I also find it a blast to just cruise around town in.

One thing that I don't believe anyone has mentioned is that it's also great in the snow. We've had a horrific winter in the northeast and I haven't had a single issue getting anywhere. It even got me home through a foot of snow on pretty much unplowed roads - major plus!

Being someone who is majorly into music, I would highly recommend the tech package. While the sound in the base demo I drove was great, the ELS system blows that away. The navi and back up camera also come in very handy.

One of my only complaints so far is that sometimes the seats can get hard. I found that after commuting for a week or so in the car, my ass would hurt on particularly long commutes. I'm about 5'4 and don't have a lotta junk in my trunk (lol) so it's probably a factor of bone against a sturdy seat. That said, after driving it for months, I don't really notice it much anymore so I either got used to it or the seat broke in more.

My other "complaint" is that you can hear a fair amount of road noise if the music isn't turned up. With all the salt and sand on the road, I can hear it all being kicked up under my car when I pull out of my driveway and drive down my road. However, the minute I have my tunes on to normal volume, I don't hear a thing. This has been addressed in the 2011, so if you went that route, it wouldn't even be something to think about.

Overall, I am thrilled with my purchase and am so glad I went for the TSX. My husband was concerned that I wouldn't like the car after a few months given that I came from BMW luxury. But that couldn't be any further from the truth. I thought about getting another 3 series but when comparibly equipped, it would have cost another $10-$15k which I think is crazy - especially since the BMW won't be nearly as maintenance free as the TSX. I finally got rid of my BMW at 90k b/c things needed to be fixed on it left and right after the warranty ran out and every thing cost upwards of $1k. My family and I have had numerous honda products (prelude, accord, integra, rsx) and they all made it well over 100k miles with very little extra maintenance.

Good luck with your decision - hope this info helps!
MCDavis (06-06-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 AM
kgs
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also take care of washing it.
LOL, me too!! and I am dying to detail mine when (IF!) we finally get to spring. This winter has been brutal w/r/t keeping my car clean.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Racer

I very much appreciate the info from the female members, especially your apparent love for the car.
Maybe we (read: she) will be in a TSX sooner than we both think. I sure wouldn't mind driving it from Richmond to Annapolis in about a month or so for her brother's wedding. She'll be going up a few days ahead of me. Sure would give me time to get familiar with the car...and hopefully not those serving and protecting 301 in MD.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:03 AM
it's a car-drive it

I very much appreciate the info from the female members, especially your apparent love for the car.
Maybe we (read: she) will be in a TSX sooner than we both think. I sure wouldn't mind driving it from Richmond to Annapolis in about a month or so for her brother's wedding. She'll be going up a few days ahead of me. Sure would give me time to get familiar with the car...and hopefully not those serving and protecting 301 in MD.
if you drive on 95 near the Baltimore (road construction area) if you exceed the speed limit they take 3 nice pictures of your car (one of them showing only the license plate) and send it to you- of course they charge you $40.00 for it. They have a jeep with a speed camera. Do not plan to get anymore. Mine was for going 67 in a 55-less than a mile from that is the 65 speed limit.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
if you drive on 95 near the Baltimore (road construction area) if you exceed the speed limit they take 3 nice pictures of your car (one of them showing only the license plate) and send it to you- of course they charge you $40.00 for it. They have a jeep with a speed camera. Do not plan to get anymore. Mine was for going 67 in a 55-less than a mile from that is the 65 speed limit.
Thanks...didn't know that honestly. I'll add that to the list of reasons why I purposely avoid I-95 (traffic, idiots, construction, and my road rage that comes out of nowhere to mention a few)
I much prefer the slowly, usually less congested Route 301 through VA and MD. Has lights, is not limited access, but if I get hungry, have to make a pit stop, etc. it's all within easy reach.
Much more "relaxing" in my opinion.

As as side note...I'm glad to have found some other passionate enthusiasts to chat with. The guys on the Ford Forum can get a little monotoned from time to time. Nice to have a change once in a while!

Quick Reply: Newbie here, looking for some input/opinions