networking on acurazine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 5 Posts
networking on acurazine?

So I'm sitting here bored off my ass working my deli clerk position due to me being 6 credits shy of graduating college and not having my bachelors in business. I am pretty sure most of us know how hard it is for recent undergrads to obtain a job in todays market. I know that many of the members on acurazine are well off individuals who are helpful to say the very least when it comes to questions regarding our acuras. I am also sure many of you would be willing to help the younger generation with our job search as well.

Im thinking maybe we can start a thread in helping out the smaller fishes in the pond. My mentor is constantly telling me to network and to build relationships wherever I went. I've been on these forums for quite some time now and thought why not try networking here. I would love to hear stories from you guys about how you got your jobs and the techniques you used along the way to help secure the position that you currently hold with your respective company. thanks!
P.S if you know of any job openings for recent or soon to be graduates dealing with finance or management in the nyc area, swing em my way

Last edited by Aruca Xst; 07-11-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Are you planning to graduate? What kind of job are you even looking for? Finance and management are both very broad fields.
The following users liked this post:
Aruca Xst (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/what-do-you-do-835644/ enjoy ;P

if anyone knows a pharm/corp law office that needs someone to bring coffee, let me know. im next to NYC.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Yes I plan on graduating hopefully by september if I can pass the Spanish CLEP exam or by December the latest( satisfy 6 credit void by taking the classes online through my college).
I have experience as a restaraunt manager and I am very passionate about leadership and management and I have interned at UBS finncials. 3.65 GPA, 3.9 major GPA. I am open to any salaried position at this point honestly and either work my way up or search for search for another position while I'm working. I'm really an.entreprenuer at heart but I need capital. The multiple 35+ page business plans I have aren't worth much if I cant build my credit score and my capital from a job. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Instructor

Building my credit score to help better my chances of aquiring a small business loan btw.

Last edited by Aruca Xst; 07-11-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Instructor

I have been searching for that thread all day pyro. Couldn't find it for the life of me. Thanks broski.

Last edited by Aruca Xst; 07-11-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Safety Car

theres also a networking thread in the ny/nj regional section which is for more than just 2nd gen TSX and is more for our area. let me know if you can't find it, i'll link you lol
Aruca Xst (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Haha. Dave I know a few recent pharm grads. What type of internship are you lookong for exactly? Btw, I found the thread haha. It was pretty informative. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Keep it man, networking is a great tool. What area of NY are you in. I can try to help. My Bank recently became nationally accredited a couple months ago and we just bought out herald bank in NY.

Btw my bank is BankUnited
Aruca Xst (07-12-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Brutal out there bro hopefully someone in the community can help each other out... been a ungraduate before and that uncertainty of not being able to get a job kept me at night...

Fortunately I was lucky and I use to play poker with controllers and CFOs; got my internship thru that and now a assistant controller for a company in NJ...also now have enough credits and experience to go get my CPA....

My best advice is to mass send you're resume and pick up any experience you can--field related offcourse....Ive been part of meetings for hiring and there been sooo many times we chose a person with more experience over people with better education -- if you have any accounting background maybe I can help you out I think the end of the summer there will be an open spot in our Accounts payable department...

But Business degree might be a tough sell for an accounting position but doesnt hurt to try if you wanna give it a shot!!! Pm see if I can do something for you

...but then again if you're plan to start your own business Dude find any job that will hire you-cut spending work OT and weekends--- just go on the grind manual labor pretty sure plenty during the summer

Last edited by apinwp09GBTSX; 07-11-2012 at 07:29 PM.
denwhat (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I graduated last year with Finance and just recently started working for a firm that specializes in accounting for equities trading. To say its brutal out there is an understatement. I was final round many times in Fortune 100 financial firms and companies with no luck in the end.

I agree with apinwp09GBTSX...you really need to mass send out your resume to positions that you can see yourself preforming in. I say that because that way you can also be able to write (or fake) a passionate cover letter in your application. My favorite website at the time was indeed.com as it indexes and searches jobs from various companies though your search query. Do this now rather than tomorrow as hiring season is starting to wind down as this is the time when many hiriing managers take vacations and is generally the downtime for business.

You have good grades so you should definitely find something. It really depends on what you want.

Last edited by denwhat; 07-11-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aruca Xst
Haha. Dave I know a few recent pharm grads. What type of internship are you lookong for exactly? Btw, I found the thread haha. It was pretty informative. Thanks.
anything good. im goin for my PharmD, im very smart and a quick learner so i can pick up any aspect of a job. im not above doing the BS like getting coffee for someone who deserves coffee ;D after i get my PharmD, my current intent is to do 2 more years to get my JD(law degree) and go into Pharm Law, but thats a few years away. for now, i'd love to intern at any fairly big name Pharm Corp or law firm, though my fall back is pharm tech at something like target for now. i'll be in bergen county all year, live across the bridge from nyc, and my sis will have an apt in the city
Old 07-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by denwhat
I graduated last year with Finance and just recently started working for a firm that specializes in accounting for equities trading. To say its brutal out there is an understatement. I was final round many times in Fortune 100 financial firms and companies with no luck in the end.

I agree with apinwp09GBTSX...you really need to mass send out your resume to positions that you can see yourself preforming in. I say that because that way you can also be able to write (or fake) a passionate cover letter in your application. My favorite website at the time was indeed.com as it indexes and searches jobs from various companies though your search query. Do this now rather than tomorrow as hiring season is starting to wind down as this is the time when many hiriing managers take vacations and is generally the downtime for business.

You have good grades so you should definitely find something. It really depends on what you want.

I agree that the 3.9 GPA is great but its not everything.... Unless you went to an SEC school and of one of the upper managements went to same school its like an automatic interview....

Also like denwhat said do it now hiring season is definitely winding down you should send your resume asap
Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Hey, I'm planning to go into business too!
I used to want to go into medical until i realized i hate biology and chemistry and I opened my own business.

But do you recommend going into business? I really want to and have a real passion for it, but i keep hearing these horror stories, lol..
Old 07-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 89 Posts
Get on LinkedIn start looking up recruiters for jobs you want. Best way to find a job in today's market. I work as an auditor. Looking to switch into IT
Aruca Xst (07-12-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Anyonee looking for mechanical engineer?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
ok I got this on an email.....

I work for a major consulting company and need some special skills.

If you want to submit a resume send me a pm and you can go post it on our website. I can get a nice referral bonus.

THX
ROB

We are searching for candidates in the following areas:

· Mortgage professionals, specifically loan processors and underwriters, for Credit Services in Charlotte, Dallas and San Antonio

· Cleared IT professionals for our Federal practice

· Health, Financial Services, CMT and Resources industry professionals

· SAS Modeling: Marketing, Customer Analytics, Customer Insights Analytics skills

· Systems Integration professionals who possess SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft, Mobility, Pega Systems and Salesforce.com skills

· Technology professionals with Java, Testing, UNIX, ETL, Security, IT Strategy and Transformation and Infrastructure skills

· Professionals with T&O (Change Management), Hyperion (especially HFM, DRM and FDM/ODI) and Resources Industry (CRM and F&EP) skills
Aruca Xst (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Grigio09
Get on LinkedIn start looking up recruiters for jobs you want. Best way to find a job in today's market. I work as an auditor. Looking to switch into IT
I've been on a LinkedIn now for a while. Definitely a great social media channel to be on.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSXKid2010
Hey, I'm planning to go into business too!
I used to want to go into medical until i realized i hate biology and chemistry and I opened my own business.

But do you recommend going into business? I really want to and have a real passion for it, but i keep hearing these horror stories, lol..
Don't get into the medical field if you think you may sense regret anywhere down the line. Once you have the realization that you "hate" the subject or major you are studying, switch it or just simply take core classes and feel out what might grab your interest. If you have a passion for business, than you already have a fundamental ground to build on. Horror stories are going to be the norm and the common theme in business. But the beauty of those horror stories is that you will be able to learn off of it. Having your own business is extremely rewarding but also extremely hard and only those determined and driven enough will succeed. You should be strong in these 3 essential area if you want to succeed in opening entrepreneurial ventures: Entrepreneurship, Management (specifically leadership models), and Marketing(specifically consumer behavior).
If you understand the importance of planning, adapting, exercising good management techniques, strong customer service skills, and have the capital to start it up, you will more often than not succeed.
I also fully understand my capabilities physically and mentally and can see myself sacrificing and investing 75-90 hours a week to help run and grow any future venture I may have. Entrepreneurial ventures are also financially rewarding. Their is no set ceiling in regards to how much you can make in a year. Check the stats, most millionaires are entrepreneurs.

Last edited by Aruca Xst; 07-12-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by apinwp09GBTSX
I agree that the 3.9 GPA is great but its not everything.... Unless you went to an SEC school and of one of the upper managements went to same school its like an automatic interview....

Also like denwhat said do it now hiring season is definitely winding down you should send your resume asap
Both of you have good points. I've been curtailing my resume around each different company needs so this process is pretty painstaking.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acarlos33
Keep it man, networking is a great tool. What area of NY are you in. I can try to help. My Bank recently became nationally accredited a couple months ago and we just bought out herald bank in NY.

im in the Queens area. Thanks and congrats!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acarlos33

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8DM99Z20120222

Yes, I remember reading that article when I was an intern in my cubicle at UBS. I would be more than interested in hearing about possible positions with the NYC location that just got bought out. Thanks
Old 07-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PyroDave
anything good. im goin for my PharmD, im very smart and a quick learner so i can pick up any aspect of a job. im not above doing the BS like getting coffee for someone who deserves coffee ;D after i get my PharmD, my current intent is to do 2 more years to get my JD(law degree) and go into Pharm Law, but thats a few years away. for now, i'd love to intern at any fairly big name Pharm Corp or law firm, though my fall back is pharm tech at something like target for now. i'll be in bergen county all year, live across the bridge from nyc, and my sis will have an apt in the city
I will be giving a few friends a call tomorrow morning. So
Old 07-12-2012, 01:29 AM
Safety Car

I will be giving a few friends a call tomorrow morning. So
i'll shoot you a PM with my number, just text or call me whenever =) thank you!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Damn, I've always thought of myself as still being close to college-grad age, but I guess I'm an old fogey now. Here's some advice from someone who's been on both sides of the hiring game:

- if you really want to set yourself apart from all the other recent 20-something grads, carefully proofread your cover letter/email and your resume. When I was hiring, I automatically chucked anything with simple mistakes, and there were a lot. With this current FB/SMS/Twitter generation, it's prevalent.

- the send-500-resumes thing never works. That's just an attempt at a quick fix and also a reflection of the applicant's laziness. I want someone who has studied up on my firm, knows what we do, and caters his/her application to me. It's just like taking care of your car. If you put in the time, it shows. If you half-ass it, it shows.

- be honest with me, and be honest with yourself. I know it's "brutal" out there, but do you really want to get any old job, even one you're going to hate? I don't want someone to claim they have a certain skill set, only to come in and end up making a mess of things.

- be confident, don't be self-centered, but don't be obsequious either. It's not all about you, and it's not all about me. I'm looking for mutual benefit. That's sort of the whole point of business anyway, IMHO. As a business, I'm providing a service to my clients, and getting compensated for it. Both parties benefit. As an employee, I'm providing a service to my employer. I work hard, my company makes money, and I get a bonus. Again, mutual benefit.

I apologize if this post isn't too well thought out. It's late and I'm tired. Don't forget, I'm an old fogey, too, so it's way past my bedtime.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:39 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
Damn, I've always thought of myself as still being close to college-grad age, but I guess I'm an old fogey now. Here's some advice from someone who's been on both sides of the hiring game:

- if you really want to set yourself apart from all the other recent 20-something grads, carefully proofread your cover letter/email and your resume. When I was hiring, I automatically chucked anything with simple mistakes, and there were a lot. With this current FB/SMS/Twitter generation, it's prevalent.

- the send-500-resumes thing never works. That's just an attempt at a quick fix and also a reflection of the applicant's laziness. I want someone who has studied up on my firm, knows what we do, and caters his/her application to me. It's just like taking care of your car. If you put in the time, it shows. If you half-ass it, it shows.

- be honest with me, and be honest with yourself. I know it's "brutal" out there, but do you really want to get any old job, even one you're going to hate? I don't want someone to claim they have a certain skill set, only to come in and end up making a mess of things.

- be confident, don't be self-centered, but don't be obsequious either. It's not all about you, and it's not all about me. I'm looking for mutual benefit. That's sort of the whole point of business anyway, IMHO. As a business, I'm providing a service to my clients, and getting compensated for it. Both parties benefit. As an employee, I'm providing a service to my employer. I work hard, my company makes money, and I get a bonus. Again, mutual benefit.

I apologize if this post isn't too well thought out. It's late and I'm tired. Don't forget, I'm an old fogey, too, so it's way past my bedtime.
go back to china! haha JK, me lub u LOOOOOONG time. you are old though, i turned 19 about 4 months ago hahaha

i personally think its good advice. i don't like the mass marketing and shit, getting a job is a little business arrangement, it should be mutual benefit. in an interview i like to ask what they hope i could contribute to the company, not just do your part. thats why i dont mind having a job that i may think im too smart for. you know how much secretaries know? more than the CEO's. the coffee/mail guy could know more than half that if he stopped and cared, he could work his way up, if he tried
Old 07-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I'm sitting here bored off my ass working my deli clerk position due to me being 6 credits shy of graduating college and not having my bachelors in business. I am pretty sure most of us know how hard it is for recent undergrads to obtain a job in todays market. I know that many of the members on acurazine are well off individuals who are helpful to say the very least when it comes to questions regarding our acuras. I am also sure many of you would be willing to help the younger generation with our job search as well.

Im thinking maybe we can start a thread in helping out the smaller fishes in the pond. My mentor is constantly telling me to network and to build relationships wherever I went. I've been on these forums for quite some time now and thought why not try networking here. I would love to hear stories from you guys about how you got your jobs and the techniques you used along the way to help secure the position that you currently hold with your respective company. thanks!
P.S if you know of any job openings for recent or soon to be graduates dealing with finance or management in the nyc area, swing em my way
Hey bud!

Again, it really depends where you see yourself working and what is the best fit for YOU. Accounting/Auditing is always a very safe profession as jobs will be available. Accountants are usually the last one out the door at a failing firm, and auditors are always needed- bad economy or good economy. I'd probably say the best opportunities that can be found will be on campus through your career services program at school. Even if you graduate, I'd speak to the person in charge of that and see if there is someway you can extend those services to you an extra year. At least on my campus there is lots of information on different seminars, workshops, networking events, as well as specific postings for jobs and internships.

Your mentor is definitely right, you really must network in order to attain a position of your choice. For me, I networked as much as I could with various firms, and essentially narrowed down the list to the top 3-5 firms I liked (based on who I liked, how many people I liked, how do I fit, professional opportunities, etc.). This was done my last year at school (I'd recommend doing this a bit earlier), but in any case, by focusing my efforts I was able to make a better impression by getting to know more professionals, and this also showed (or gave the appearance) that I was solely interested in their firm. Of course, when asked I would answer truthfully about the other firms I was considering. Other benefits including seeking out events (heart walks, volunteering, networking events, socials etc.) where your top firms will attend. That way you are not "wasting time" with other firms. Disclaimer: You are never wasting time with networking, but realistically you cant network everywhere and make a good impression without going "all out" on a few firms.

I apologize for some of my sentences being in coherent, as I just had surgery done today and am a bit groggy from the meds. In any case, should you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.