Need some confirmation: 2012 TSX wagon with tech

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WheelMcCoy
Interesting thread!

Does the wagon of interest, or any CPO for that matter, have all the TSBs applied? I'm just thinking of the bluetooth module. My 2012 TSX Wagon would sometimes get amnesia and forget the paired devices. There's a TSB on it and I've had the bluetooth module upgraded at the dealer (no charge), but the wagon still forgets now and then.

Just something the OP should ask about.
What does TSB stand for?

And howdy entire thread that has been contributing. I have my forged silver horse.

Just drove it down back to Houston from Dallas. Flew up there to a great dealer out in the middle of no where. Great people, easy going. I could've probably tried to get more off, but I felt good about the deal and so did thy. Easy process.

Drive was amazing. I was going about 65mph at first but kicked it up to 70-80mph after a bit. I thought I'd lose mpg, but I was averaging 31mpg!!! Plenty quick if you need to be too, just have a bit of an ass on the back. I also utilized the space too by picking up some furniture pieces n Dallas.

Spent the day cleaning the garage to make room for this beauty. Next I will fully detail the car myself, order the cargo liner, and start think about dash cams and accessories/mods.

The silver forge color really isn't that bad. I'm gonna get tint soon and it'll look a lot nicer.

Sorry this is jumping all over e place, I'm beat tired. I will update soon!!
The following users liked this post:
PPower (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 AM
m13
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats, and welcome to the wagon club. I routinely get 35mpg on road trips, so don't be surprised to see your 31 number go higher.
philarious (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by philarious
What does TSB stand for?

And howdy entire thread that has been contributing. I have my forged silver horse.

Just drove it down back to Houston from Dallas. Flew up there to a great dealer out in the middle of no where. Great people, easy going. I could've probably tried to get more off, but I felt good about the deal and so did thy. Easy process.

Drive was amazing. I was going about 65mph at first but kicked it up to 70-80mph after a bit. I thought I'd lose mpg, but I was averaging 31mpg!!! Plenty quick if you need to be too, just have a bit of an ass on the back. I also utilized the space too by picking up some furniture pieces n Dallas.

Spent the day cleaning the garage to make room for this beauty. Next I will fully detail the car myself, order the cargo liner, and start think about dash cams and accessories/mods.

The silver forge color really isn't that bad. I'm gonna get tint soon and it'll look a lot nicer.

Sorry this is jumping all over e place, I'm beat tired. I will update soon!!
Congratulations. You and I probably doubled wagon sales for the year

You never told us you were in Houston so forged is a great color. I think it looks very nice in sunny climates - it only starts looking dull in overcast lighting.

TSBs are Technical Service Bulletins - bulletins that advise dealerships how to deal with common problems like the loose windshield molding (replace), moisture in headlamps (tell the customer it is normal) or the car losing paired BT phones (replace module.)

TSB's generally specify a production date range or VIN range that the TSB applies to.

The TSBs also tell dealers how to bill for the repairs and if they can bill Acura for out-of-warranty repairs - these are commonly referred to as "hidden warranties."

No dealer should just apply a TSB willy-nilly. With very few exceptions, TSBs are only applied when the customer complains of the issue covered by the TSB.

TSBs are different from recalls. Recalls are coordinated with NHTSA and involve safety related defects. Recalls can be voluntary (the manufacturer found a problem and wants to apply a fix) or directed (You really need to consider issuing a recall or we will start fining you).

Recalls can also be immediate (flatbed your car to the dealership now) or "at your convenience". The "at your convenience" recalls generally affect those safety systems that are technical violations but may not render a car undriveable - for example when a EU lighting unit is accidentally installed instead of the US mandated one like a manufactured did a few years ago.

Some recalls may only change the warranty on a certain subsystem - like when VW designed all of the 2006-2008 Golf and GTIs with a third brake that required the removal of the rear spoiler by cutting it off - a clear violation of "shall be replaceable using common hand tools" as required by the standard. In this case, rather than modifying the design and recalling all of the cars, they merely extended the parts and labor warranty for the third brake light - much cheaper to fix the failed units for many years than to recall each car.

There is a listing of TSBs here on the board and a listing for any car is available (in short form) on the NHTSA website at safercar.gov.

Last edited by ceb; 10-28-2013 at 08:25 AM.
philarious (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Intermediate

I haven't run into any problems with the car yet, but I will take a look at the TSB's. Thanks for the clarification! Did any of you guys have trouble registering you car for insurance? It wouldn't take the VIN Number...I think it's because it's the wagon.

Yeah, I'm in Houston so this thing will see plenty of pavement. Are you located somewhere in Texas as well?

I think I would've gotten better MPG too if the average didn't start me off at 24MPG. What ever sales man that was driving this must've cranked it out a lot.And I think when they filled it up for me, they probably put in regular. I just filled it up right now with Premium from the bottom up, so I'll see if there's a difference.

QUESTION! I noticed my car doesn't automatically lock if left unlocked for a certain amount of time. I thought most cars lock after 2 minutes or so? Just wondering if it was a setting or a process I had to do beforehand, but I couldn't find anything in the manual regarding that.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:01 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I haven't run into any problems with the car yet, but I will take a look at the TSB's. Thanks for the clarification! Did any of you guys have trouble registering you car for insurance? It wouldn't take the VIN Number...I think it's because it's the wagon.

Yeah, I'm in Houston so this thing will see plenty of pavement. Are you located somewhere in Texas as well?

I think I would've gotten better MPG too if the average didn't start me off at 24MPG. What ever sales man that was driving this must've cranked it out a lot.And I think when they filled it up for me, they probably put in regular. I just filled it up right now with Premium from the bottom up, so I'll see if there's a difference.

QUESTION! I noticed my car doesn't automatically lock if left unlocked for a certain amount of time. I thought most cars lock after 2 minutes or so? Just wondering if it was a setting or a process I had to do beforehand, but I couldn't find anything in the manual regarding that.
Make sure you are typing the VIN right - it has to have 17 characters.

No car will lock automatically if left unlocked but this car will relock if you unlock it via the fob and not open a door in a set period of time. That timecan be changed via settings.

Is it a new or CPO car? I almost bought a forged when I was in Colorado a couple of years ago because it looked so good in the sun - then I came back to MD and looked at one on a dreary day.

I traded a BMW 335ix for my wagon and didn't regret it for a moment.
philarious (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Congratulations. Enjoy your new ride. I wish more Americans would consider wagons.

I have a 2012 in forged silver metallic. I usually get between 32 and 33 mpg on the highway.
philarious (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Congrats on the pick up. The Houston crowd is pretty cool and always meeting up, you should check out the regional sub forum if you haven't already.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...91655&page=999

I'm from Houston and my parents still live there. I drive down and visit them every now and then so I might meet you in person one of these days.
philarious (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Intermediate

Mine isn't a CPO nor new. Just has basically 5 years left of it's warranty which is good. It's an Acura anyways, so it doesn't matter too much. I was telling the other sales man who was trying to win me over with the fact that his was CPO and I told him how reliable Acura/Honda was that an extended warranty wouldn't be a deciding factor for me. I've had my Honda that was vaulted from a mailbox not go through any serious problems in the 8 years ive had it, sans the transmission problem that happened to all V6, but warranty was extended for it.

I typed in the silly VIN at least 12 times and double checked it with the car itself. It was very strange.

Looking up detailing, tinting, clear bra, etc now. I really wanted a custom front plate but that isn't street legal in Texas :-[ the wagon looks so nice without front plates!
Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! Does it have tech option? What price did u pay for it? I am considering buying one too.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tb2009
Congrats on the purchase! Does it have tech option? What price did u pay for it? I am considering buying one too.
Yep! With the tech option! I got it for under $27k out the door. I love the car, it's awesome
Old 10-28-2013, 01:32 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was the price on the first one you didn't get? 26.5K out the door?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:36 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Mine isn't a CPO nor new. Just has basically 5 years left of it's warranty which is good. It's an Acura anyways, so it doesn't matter too much. I was telling the other sales man who was trying to win me over with the fact that his was CPO and I told him how reliable Acura/Honda was that an extended warranty wouldn't be a deciding factor for me. I've had my Honda that was vaulted from a mailbox not go through any serious problems in the 8 years ive had it, sans the transmission problem that happened to all V6, but warranty was extended for it.

I typed in the silly VIN at least 12 times and double checked it with the car itself. It was very strange.

Looking up detailing, tinting, clear bra, etc now. I really wanted a custom front plate but that isn't street legal in Texas :-[ the wagon looks so nice without front plates!
Go to GEICO and request a quote. If the VIN doesn't take then there is something weird about the VIN.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:10 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by tb2009
What was the price on the first one you didn't get? 26.5K out the door?
That wasn't an out-the-door price.

Out-the-door prices are pretty meaningless as there are so many variables - tax rates amongst different states, titling costs vary as do the costs of tags.

MD calculates tax on the difference between the trade and the new car so I saved over $1.2k in taxes. Add to that the fact that I got a greatly reduced tag fee since I had over 1 year left on the current registration and my OTD price is about $1500 less than the other guy that had no trade and needed new plates. Buying the same car 10 miles down the road in Virginia would have cost $500 more - at the same negotiated price - because VA allows a much higher "processing fee" than MD.

My negotiated cost included the processing fees, rear bumper applique, body side molding and splash guards in addition to the cost of the new nav update when it comes out (it just did), so how do I subtract those costs? Dealer cost? Retail?

Subtracting all that out (any way you figure it) put my negotiated cost well below the TrueCar "great" price, but my OTD price is meaningless.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ceb
That wasn't an out-the-door price.

Out-the-door prices are pretty meaningless as there are so many variables - tax rates amongst different states, titling costs vary as do the costs of tags.

MD calculates tax on the difference between the trade and the new car so I saved over $1.2k in taxes. Add to that the fact that I got a greatly reduced tag fee since I had over 1 year left on the current registration and my OTD price is about $1500 less than the other guy that had no trade and needed new plates. Buying the same car 10 miles down the road in Virginia would have cost $500 more - at the same negotiated price - because VA allows a much higher "processing fee" than MD.

My negotiated cost included the processing fees, rear bumper applique, body side molding and splash guards in addition to the cost of the new nav update when it comes out (it just did), so how do I subtract those costs? Dealer cost? Retail?

Subtracting all that out (any way you figure it) put my negotiated cost well below the TrueCar "great" price, but my OTD price is meaningless.
I see what you're saying. My out-the-door price could've been with a trade-in etc etc. Lol, I could've got a Mercedes SLS for $5000 out the door by trading in my Maserati.

The wagon cost right under $25K with Tech, side body moldings, trunk tray, and splash guards. Taxes sucks.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:15 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I see what you're saying. My out-the-door price could've been with a trade-in etc etc. Lol, I could've got a Mercedes SLS for $5000 out the door by trading in my Maserati.

The wagon cost right under $25K with Tech, side body moldings, trunk tray, and splash guards. Taxes sucks.
That's a great price assuming low miles and accident free.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ceb
That's a great price assuming low miles and accident free.
Yep! Accident free and low miles for sure. Just less hassle.

I tried searching the forum, but all I get are "Installs".

The wagon has a little blue led light (I'm assuming LED) at the top near all the moonroof and light controls. What's that purpose and how do you control the lights? I briefly saw that the same lights illuminate the floor too, for like 2 seconds! They look great, but I can't find where to turn them on. I bet it's something stupid like (push the light.....)
Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Yep! Accident free and low miles for sure. Just less hassle.

I tried searching the forum, but all I get are "Installs".

The wagon has a little blue led light (I'm assuming LED) at the top near all the moonroof and light controls. What's that purpose and how do you control the lights? I briefly saw that the same lights illuminate the floor too, for like 2 seconds! They look great, but I can't find where to turn them on. I bet it's something stupid like (push the light.....)
The footwell lights illuminate while the door is open - no place to turn it off or on other than opening the door.

The little blue light in the roof console illuminates the center console and the cupholders - no way to control that either.

What are you searching for that gives you "installs"?

Last edited by ceb; 10-28-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Intermediate

i was just doing a search for "Acura TSX LED lights, Interior". Got a lot of install guides for people putting in lights.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:41 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

i was just doing a search for "Acura TSX LED lights, Interior". Got a lot of install guides for people putting in lights.
Ex-LED hands down. Stop looking and just buy a set.