My DashMat Pics and review

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 06:20 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Ceb you are 100% wrong. As I work for Acura and seen many airbags out and exactly where they come out, it won't interfere at all. The dash does not pop apart, the dash is made to tear in the area by the force. The airbag is not designed to pop up but towards the passenger. There are 3 sides that are designed to tear and a flap of dash material. And your ignorance stating thick and heavy is for a layer thinner than the dash or headliner and weighs ounces NOT pounds. But hey, what do I know, I have only been in the industry for 25 years, 15 with AHMC and have talked to R&D numerous times on issues relating to models. If this upsets you, the other mods that members do would drive you crazy especialy if you had the R&D knowledge. BTW, do you know what years had UV mixed into the dash compound? Do you know which car care chemicals jeopardize the dash elasticity? Or the tensile strength of the material? Why the dash is black? Well just a handful of the items R&D work on 1 item in the car. Do you know the domino effect and how many departments are involved with 1 change and the time it takes to do? Do you even know which model the R&D are spending time on let alone year?

Originally Posted by ceb
I've got to agree with robpp - you're not very bright.

I've forgotten more about airbags than this entire community will ever learn.

The A pillar trim must release in order for the side curtain to deploy. Will the dashmat interfere with the A pillar? Most probably.

The passenger airbag cover is part of the system. As the dash pops apart, the cover and the windshield assure that the airbag deploys correctly.

Even if the velcro "separates", it will keep the airbag from deploying correctly.

I don't care if you agree or not. These are the facts and anyone with an even partially open mind will recognize that a carpet on your dash will keep the A pillar cover from popping off properly and that heavy and thick hunk of carpet will keep the airbag cover from contacting the windshield.

It is only the life of your passenger that is at risk. I couldn't care less but acting like an ass right won't make you many friends.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:11 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
Ceb you are 100% wrong. As I work for Acura and seen many airbags out and exactly where they come out, it won't interfere at all. The dash does not pop apart, the dash is made to tear in the area by the force. The airbag is not designed to pop up but towards the passenger. There are 3 sides that are designed to tear and a flap of dash material. And your ignorance stating thick and heavy is for a layer thinner than the dash or headliner and weighs ounces NOT pounds. But hey, what do I know, I have only been in the industry for 25 years, 15 with AHMC and have talked to R&D numerous times on issues relating to models. If this upsets you, the other mods that members do would drive you crazy especialy if you had the R&D knowledge. BTW, do you know what years had UV mixed into the dash compound? Do you know which car care chemicals jeopardize the dash elasticity? Or the tensile strength of the material? Why the dash is black? Well just a handful of the items R&D work on 1 item in the car. Do you know the domino effect and how many departments are involved with 1 change and the time it takes to do? Do you even know which model the R&D are spending time on let alone year?
Right and as the dash pops apart (or tears), the attached flap is held in place by the windshield. That windshield is then responsible for shaping part of the airbag as it deploys. Aside from the increased bulk of the carpet, it is very likely that it may bunch up during an accident causing additional issues.

You say that you work for Acura but you seem clueless about anything but trying to defend your point. We will continue to disagree. If the dashmat floats your boat then go for it. I hope you never have to find out that I'm right.

Last edited by ceb; 10-02-2014 at 07:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TSXV6Guy (10-05-2014)