My 5AT Test Drive Experience (2008 vs. 2009)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 5AT Test Drive Experience (2008 vs. 2009)

Let me preface this by saying that we really need a test drive sticky thread so we don't end up with several dozen of these test drive threads.

With that said, I had the opportunity to drive a both a 2008 TSX & a 2009 TSX today. I didn't drive them back to back since I went to two different dealerships trying (unsuccesfully) to find a 2009 in Polished Metal Metallic/Taupe, but I did drive them within 30 minutes of eachother. Both were fully-loaded models w/ the 5-speed auto. I have to say, I was very impressed, especially with the '09. We currently have 2 vehicles in our household, a 2006 Pilot EX-L w/ Nav & a 2007 Outlander XLS w/ Nav. I've also owned many Honda-built vehicles, including a 2nd-gen TL, FWIW. Needless to say, my two current vehicles are quite different than the TSX being large-ish and heavy AWD crossover vehicles w/ V6 engines. I guess I was expecting the TSX to feel about as fast as our other vehicles (in a straight line), but they actually felt noticeably faster, especially the 2009. I've heard many people say they liked the new TSX styling better in person, but I feel the opposite. I really liked it in pics, and was slightly disappointed in person. Darker colors look better on the new TSX IMO. I especially disliked the stance of the car from the side when viewed from the rear. The front fender flare is too large and looks out of place. The car desperately needs 18" wheels as standard equipment w/ 19" wheels optional IMO.

Anyway, onto the rest my impressions of the 2008 vs. 2009 TSX......

2008 Pros:
-Very good steering feedback at low speeds
-Ideal NAV screen placement & controls (I prefer the touch screen)
-Clean and taut exterior styling

2008 Cons:
-Cheap feeling bits spread throughout the interior. I especially disliked the leather feel and the center console lids/covers which seem like they came from a Civic
-Engine noise is a bit more pronounced at high revs
-Transmission response off the line is tad bit lethargic when compared to the '09 (more on that later)
-The doors and trunk feel light & hollow when closing (this is okay for sports cars & economy cars, but not acceptable for an entry-level luxury car)

2009 Pros:
-Transmission response has been improved significantly on the 2009. The car feels more eager and responsive, especially off the line.
-Front seats are very comfortable and supportive with seemingly good leather quality
-I loved the gauges. They're very legible and look great.....probably my favorite out of any Honda/Acura vehicle
-Ride handling/balance. I know this is an issue of contention for many people, but to me the new TSX does a good job of feeling taut and repsonsive without being too busy or punishing.
-Steering wheel & paddle shifters feel absolutely PERFECT to me. I love the small size of the wheel and the quick steering ratio which makes it easy to change gears with the paddle shifters, even when turning. Speaking of the paddle shifters, their placement is ideal IMO (much better than on our Outlander)

2009 Cons:
-The Nav screen. Where to start. It's horrible IMO. It's hard to see when the sun is low in the sky and it's too far away from the driver. I also miss the touch screen. I may get used to the "knob" control, but if it weren't for the other items that come as part of the Tech package, I would go w/ a base model and just get an aftermarket portable NAV unit it's truly that bad. Maybe dark window tinting will help?
-The material quality generally seems high, but the dash graining is a bit odd. The grain catches the light and tends to look like ashy skin in need of some lotion! LOL
-The sun visors do not extend for improved coverage. This is definitely not a dealbreaker, but I am tall and adjust my seat all the way back. With the seat in this position the visor doesn't always block the sun.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the new TSX. I can see the appeal of the 1st-gen, but for my needs/wants, the 2nd-gen seems more well-rounded and luxurious. I'm not crazy about the exterior, but then again, I can find fault with most new cars I see. If/when I get a new TSX the first thing I will do aside from tint the windows and get a clear bra would be to get some larger wheels. Does the TL have the same bolt pattern as the new TSX? I was thinking some TL-S wheels might look nice on the TSX.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Pro

A couple small items I forgot to mention on the ' 09 earlier.....

The dark graphite grey finish on the brake handle, around the power window controls, etc. doesn't seem very durable. There were already scratches on the brake handle in the car I drove.

The small cubies on either side of the center console are nicely finished with felt. They look like just plain old black plastic until you feel inside them. Anyway, it's a small thing, but it should keep your phone or iPod safe from scratches and avoid any annoying rattling.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Time to Climb

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
fyi, tl-s wheels are 17" just like our stockies
Old 04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Pro

Duh! I don't know what I was thinking....thanks.

I really would like something that fills out the wheel wheels a bit better while still maintaining good ride quality and an understated OEM-like appearance. With that criteria in mind, I really like the wheels below (both are 18"). Could someone do me a HUGE favor and photoshop these on the new TSX?

Old 04-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jwaters943
2008 Cons:
... -The doors and trunk feel light & hollow when closing (this is okay for sports cars & economy cars, but not acceptable for an entry-level luxury car)
You have to close those doors very gently; they practically close themselves.

Trunk lid ... well, I can't argue there. I got a plate frame with four screws because a two-screw plate frame rattled when I closed the trunk.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:42 AM
日本国内市場の売春婦

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here ya go mate. Cheers!

Old 04-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Pro

Thanks so much! (great job by the way)

Hmmmm........I think I like the style of the 2nd ones a tiny bit better, but I like the slightly darker color of the 1st ones better.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by VorteC
Here ya go mate. Cheers!

DEFINITELY like these better.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Pro

After looking at them more I agree. The others look cheap.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Race Director

i like those wheels! makes the new TSX look more elegent.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 PM
SAR
Cruisin'

Hello, I see that you are a "tall" owner of a TSX. At 6'4" and 215 lbs. would I fit in this car properly? Thanks for your time.