ON THE MARKET: ILX or TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ON THE MARKET: ILX or TSX?

Hey guys, new to the forum but love all the info that's available here. Pretty awesome.

As noted in the title, currently on the market for ~$30k premium car and have finally narrowed my pickings to the 2013 ILX 2.4 and TSX SE 6MT (rather 2013 GTI, MINI cooper s, and accord v6). I'm looking for a car that is fun to drive, has some nice luxuries, and looks nice. It's supposed to be a keeper, so reliability is a must. Currently drive a 2002 accord se, and though super slow, i think that car is fantastic. Honda FTW.

Anyway, biggest gripe with the ILX... is the civic issue. I think the car looks nice and has cool features (push start, keyless entry, backup cam) but its still very civic-y to me. However, there is supposedly going to be way more aftermarket support for this car than there is for TSX (so basically at a cost, the civic-y parts can be replaced? idk.)

TSX I love, except that you can feel the weight in the car, and that analog information screen above the center stack... That screen is the sole purpose I am not jumping at this car. To me, it just makes the car feel too old especially compared to the equally priced ILX. I've looked into the aftermarket China navi systems that are available for the Honda Spirior, but am not thrilled that AC and AM/FM info won't display...

You guys will obviously be biased since this is the TSX forum... but further convince me why the TSX is better? The cars are quite similar... i don't want to regret my decision! All input is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently went through the exact same thing between the ILX and TSX. I figured for what I was looking for the TSX was better suited, the ILX did have a little bit of a cheaper feel to it as compared to the TSX (which is understandable considering they're two different models). I actually liked that I could "feel the weight" on the TSX but I was coming from an RSX Type-S so it may be a little different. TSX just felt classier to me and like you said I planned on it being a keeper so I felt it would be the best choice in the long run. But that's just what I went through, good luck with your decision and either way you're going to get a pretty sweet ride
Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
tsx
Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
a big issue for me was the lack of 60/40 rear folding seats for me in the ILX. i already had a TSX and that was one of the requirements i needed/wanted. when i test drove teh ILX at an event, i told the research guy about the lack of 60/40 and he made a note on his papers to give to the design team. maybe they'll change it in a later model? i didn't think the ILX looked anything like a civic from inside or outside. shrug.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
T S X. ILX is a turd. And they are already upgrading it in May because sales were so awful. 2.0 150 hp engine < 2.4 201 hp engine.

TSX SE or TSX Tech all the way.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition
T S X. ILX is a turd. And they are already upgrading it in May because sales were so awful. 2.0 150 hp engine < 2.4 201 hp engine.

TSX SE or TSX Tech all the way.
You bite your tongue. ILX isn't a bad car. It's a good DD car and isn't supposed to be a race car. People love to bitch and moan about the smallest insignificant things these days, and it's a shame that's all you listen to.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
If the analog screen is the only gripe about the TSX, why not just get the tech package? For those who have it or need it, it's great. It would add to the long term enjoyment of the car. The only reason I didn't get the tech package is because my car is used to go from home to work and back 90% of the time.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
TSX. Accept no substitutes.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 AM
I Spit On You.

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Well for me I only like bigger cars, sure I love My Mazda3 but it's to small and windy for me, I like to relax in a bigger car and the TSX does that for me and my older minivan which I love too. ILX is in it's first year out it may have problems so you never know and on the other hand the TSX seems to have most of the kinks worked out.

P.s. What I think of the civic is a huge POS my Mazda fulfils my needs, it's a quality vehicle inside and out compared to the civic and corolla so if the ILX feels like my Mazda3 then forget that. You'd be suprised of all the soft touch things in my Mazda and how good it feels, it feels almost up par with the Acura except I don't even have all the options so OTD it cost me 21K for an I touring back in January of 2011. I'd say that the audio in my Mazda is surprisingly as great as my ELS audio in the Acura and the Mazda only has 6 speakers but the Bass kicks the Acura in the ass. I've heard the Civic is a huge POS and we had a corolla loaner in 2012 brand new and it was a very boring car and made me appreciate the Mazda even more, 0-60 was very slow.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:56 PM
2010 TSX

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
TSX w/V6

ILX looks too way much like the Civic.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:53 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
ilx is shit car for its price.

get a tsx.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
You probably saw my additions to spdanpwr

thoughts on the ILX forum. Mine are below his and having had an ILX 6mt and now TSX 6mt ASPEC as did he you can see what stands out so far.

Originally Posted by spdandpwr

Advantages the TSX base has over the ILX w/ premium package:
1. memory seats
2. power passenger seats
3. side mirror turn signal indicators
4. made in japan vs. made in usa
5. AC vents for rear passengers
6. seatback storage pockets on the driver seat
7. TSX has better side bolsters.
8. 60/40 folding rear seat
9. better leather

Advantages the ILX premium w/ premium package over the TSX base:
1. Pandora
2. SMS text displaying/reading capabilities
3. Backup camera
4. Push button start
5. Keyless access
6. 5" color display
7. smaller / easier to park with very little compromise in space

Neutral/Debatable features
1. TSX uses a timing chain, ILX uses a timing belt
2. TSX uses the double-wishbone and rear multi-link suspensions, ILX uses a combination of MacPherson struts for the front suspension and a multi-link arrangement in the rear

To add to the above from spdanpwr

ILX nicer looking (subjective)
ILX 6mt faster than TSX 6mt
ILX 6mt gas mileage a little better than TSX 6mt
ILX ride not as firm as TSX ride
ILX smaller, lighter easier to handle in city imo
ILX takes up less room in the garage
ILX seems to have more room in the back seat
ILX in Canada no TPMS
ILX in Canada has much lower price and $3000.00 discount now if purchasing

TSX 6mt handles better than ILX 6mt on highway and on curves
TSX 6mt quieter inside and out vs ILX 6mt
TSX 6mt stereo slightly better than ILX 6mt stereo
TSX easier to get in and out of than ILX for an old fart like me with back issues
TSX has adjustable lumbar support but didn't miss it in ILX
TSX seats a little bigger than ILX
TSX has homelink ILX only available in Tech package
TSX outside mirror drops down in reverse but ILX back up camera is so much better to have.
TSX has more storage cubbies but console smaller than ILX as is glove compartment
TSX has larger storage in doors
TSX has sunglass compartment
TSX trunk a little larger
TSX has TPMS
TSX more expensive in Canada by a fair amount

That is all I have noticed so far. Both are nice cars you need to drive and see how they fit your driving and your pocket book.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you are interested in a 6mt the TSX has rev hang which my ILX didn't have. I never noticed the rev hang in the used TSX 6mt I drove but sure notice it in my new one. I don't really like that feature so far, maybe will just take some getting used to.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
heh. i think everyone had this same dilemma. same with the TL.
acura pricing is weird. not much a difference in models price wise.

i ALMOST bought the ILX but at the end of the day, its a civic. felt like a civic.
TSX just felt nicer and roomier.
the only real thing i wanted out of that was the push button start. lol

both are a good buy so you cant really lose but it all comes down to what you can afford imo. id get the TSX over the ILX if i had to do it over and over again. i love my TSX.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
I swear there needs to be a cap on this question ILX is the most retarded thing ever wast of money if someone buys that over a civic si your retarded. The TSX is worth it so much more for the price of a ILX. I think the ILX would be great if it was a 25k car but sadly its not its 3k less than a tsx thats bigger and better looking. not to mention the ilx i looked at had the cheapest feeling seats and plastics in it. FUCK the ILX that is all bring back my integra
Old 02-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by odus
I swear there needs to be a cap on this question ILX is the most retarded thing ever wast of money if someone buys that over a civic si your retarded. The TSX is worth it so much more for the price of a ILX. I think the ILX would be great if it was a 25k car but sadly its not its 3k less than a tsx thats bigger and better looking. not to mention the ilx i looked at had the cheapest feeling seats and plastics in it. FUCK the ILX that is all bring back my integra
It was less than 3000.00 But acura has raised the price on TSX 1500 to 2000 since ILX was released. Go with TSX and get the tech . Also navagation is not restricted on TSX like it is on ILX. JMO
Old 02-21-2013, 04:51 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
if you get ilx, don't get the base model. base model = no mirror tilt down in reverse, no memory seat, manual seat adjusting vs electric
Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 PM
10th Gear

Wow I wasn't expecting so many replies, thanks.

Definitely will be going with the 6MT if I choose the TSX so no tech option will be available But the general consensus seems to be that the ILX lacks in driving dynamics and a quality build whereas the TSX lacks in [what is considered] basic technology these days (rear cam, push start, LCD screen). Based on my research, a majority of the problems I have with the ILX can be fixed with aftermarket mods (sway bars, ecu upgrade, springs) but there is still the quality issue and the civic thing... convince me that i don't need a fancy screen in the TSX to impress my friends with and I think I'm sold lol
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IMO the ILX just feels lower market than the TSX inside. I'm curious to see the resale value of the ILX as well.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
I've tested the ILX with 2.4/6MT. With its lower weight, I expected it to be a better driver's car than the TSX, but it isn't nearly as good IMO. The ILX's steering is lighter and almost completely numb, and the suspension doesn't provide the same excellent ride/handling balance. In that respect, the TSX is like a good European sport sedan IMO.

I like the ILX's interior and its more compact dimensions, and I think it looks cool too, but if you're interested in a sport sedan, get the TSX...or the Civic Si.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 530 Likes on 341 Posts
I had an ILX loaner and while not as bad as I thought it would be, it was nowhere near great either and it did feel a little cheap in comparison to my TSX to me. The key-less entry/push button start was great to have, though, and it is a little sad how far behind the TSX is now in comparison to many other models (and even more so if you go with a Base).
Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Definitely will be going with the 6MT if I choose the TSX so no tech option will be available
Going outside your original parameters, have you considered the Accord V6 Coupe? It's gotten great reviews, and offers a manual and tech options.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/06/au...or-flight.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...al-test-review
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
if youre considering a ILX, get a accord V6 coupe.
bigger engine. all tech and about the same price as a ILX.

if you want something "sporty" but with luxury items, the accord v6 coupe is a better buy than the ILX and i think its actually cheaper than the ILX.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
TSX (love it) is the bottom rung of Acura for me. Unless I do something crazy and opt for a SUV, Acura doesn't offer much anymore (so says the drooling Caddy ATS-V dude).

With that said, I'd go for a premo tipped-out Accord coupe over the ILX. There are a lot of things I could list, but Honda/Acura's dropping of the double wishbone suspension in favor of the cheaper McPherson struts... is one of those things that makes you say "you are not it anymore."
Old 02-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
I'll stay neutral on the ILX vs TSX pissing contest, but boy, it appears that few here have spent much time on the ILX forum. Those guys (and gals?) seem to think that their cars are the best thing since sliced bread. And as it should be....

Too many negative comments here about that car it seems. I've never been a fan, and it's reception and performance in the market have been pretty much exactly what I predicted a year or so ago (i.e. relatively dismal), but there are some buyers (or I'll assume renters, since I think only leasing makes sense due to the car's high list prices). With the disappearance of the TSX from the lineup, and with soon to arrive much needed improvements to the ILX (more power, more luxury, etc.), I now predict that the ILX will find more sure footing in the marketplace (thanks also to what I'm afraid will be a poor TSX replacement in the TLX).

I actually think the ILX is a sharp car; much better looking in the flesh than in pictures. I'll admit that I haven't driven one, but a 2.4 already has a place on my list of potential 2-3 year old, low mileage cars that will replace my 010 TSX a few years from now.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chrisgopher
... convince me that i don't need a fancy screen in the TSX to impress my friends with and I think I'm sold lol
Convince you?! Now that's funny!
Old 02-23-2013, 03:05 AM
I Spit On You.

Originally Posted by Simba91102
I actually think the ILX is a sharp car; much better looking in the flesh than in pictures. I'll admit that I haven't driven one, but a 2.4 already has a place on my list of potential 2-3 year old, low mileage cars that will replace my 010 TSX a few years from now.
Yeah I saw an ILX at the mall a few weeks ago, it was quite good looking and I'm one who doesn't like smaller cars when it comes to looks.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
right now im trying to decide 2013 TSX vs 2013 EX-L plus nav and maybe v6 accord
Old 02-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
right now im trying to decide 2013 TSX vs 2013 EX-L plus nav and maybe v6 accord
As always, be sure to drive whatever is on your list. If it matters, history would show that the TSX will have higher resale value than any Accord.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM
I Spit On You.

Originally Posted by PyroDave
Lease?
Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Those that compare ILX to TSX for some reason usually miss one of the most important parts -- strut setup vs. double-wishbone in the front. This makes a big difference in ride quality and handling and is one big reason I got the TSX.

Chassis is probably stiffer too which is why TSX has the folding rear seat which btw comes in very handy (skis, snowboard, shovel, etc).

Stan
Old 02-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisgopher
Wow I wasn't expecting so many replies, thanks.

Definitely will be going with the 6MT if I choose the TSX so no tech option will be available But the general consensus seems to be that the ILX lacks in driving dynamics and a quality build whereas the TSX lacks in [what is considered] basic technology these days (rear cam, push start, LCD screen). Based on my research, a majority of the problems I have with the ILX can be fixed with aftermarket mods (sway bars, ecu upgrade, springs) but there is still the quality issue and the civic thing... convince me that i don't need a fancy screen in the TSX to impress my friends with and I think I'm sold lol
It's your car, don't worry about impressing your friends. You have to love your car; your friends aren't paying for it. So buy what works for you and let it be something you'll enjoy for the life of ownership.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrLogan13:
apinwp09GBTSX (02-23-2013), chrisgopher (02-25-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by mrlogan13
it's your car, don't worry about impressing your friends. You have to love your car; your friends aren't paying for it. So buy what works for you and let it be something you'll enjoy for the life of ownership.
+1!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:38 AM
L.A. > the rest

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
tsx > ilx
The following users liked this post:
SlickxAc (02-24-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MrLogan13
It's your car, don't worry about impressing your friends. You have to love your car; your friends aren't paying for it. So buy what works for you and let it be something you'll enjoy for the life of ownership.
Haha thanks and i totally agree, it was a lame joke about having cool tech... life will most def go on without the tech package, though it would still come in super handy (and impress passengers )

there's a white tsx coming in this week with my name written alll over it....... i can't wait
Old 02-25-2013, 04:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
Woohoo congrats!!! Make sure to post pictures!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
The ILX is "first year" and the TSX has been around and is refined. Acura is already looking at what they can "improve" since there have been many complaints about the 2.0 engine...and the fact that the better 2.4 is only available with a manual trans. Most don't want the manual. So, for now....the TSX is the better choice. I have a '13 Spec. Ed. Love it. Also have a '13 RDX. Love it too!!
But, I must admit the new Honda Accord Touring Edition deserves a solid look and test drive. With the front, rear, and side spoilers it looks pretty nice and with all the "goodies" it has plus the strong V6....it's just a must look. Yes, the MSRP will be more with all the extras......but, if you know how to negotiate...you can get it for at least $2,000 off sticker.

I knew I wanted a TSX period and went after it. But, if I had noticed the Accord Touring model I might have had a decision to make. But, no regrets with the Spec. Ed. TSX.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
If you're leasing, the Accord V6 shouldn't be an option: the lease rate is not too great. The ILX 2.4, on the other hand, has very competitive lease rates ($300 with 0 down) vs the TSX ($350 with 0 down).

That 50 dollar difference a month for a car that offers little technological advantage (better hands free link, memory seat, power passenger seat) and is otherwise dated seems to be the reason why I wouldn't recommend it. As the OP said, you can tweak the ilx (as some have already done) to make it handle better, thus negating that advantage that the tsx has. While most don't mod their cars, it's a consideration point since the op said he wasn't averse to modding.

I owned a 2012 Acura TSX and it did feel more composed and it did feel a bit more premium / solid, but that's not to say that the ilx doesn't feel great -- because it does. The car can definitely use a proper suspension setup, but it's otherwise more fun to drive and I get better mpgs than I ever did with the tsx 30 vs 27. Also important to note that the ILX has keyless entry, which means your keys never leave your pocket -- ever! Also, the gas cap on the TSX is hardly premium -- spring-loaded gas cap, seriously!?

At the end of the day, it's your call, but I'm sure you'll be happy with either. I know I enjoyed my TSX.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Go with ILX 6MT. No sense even considering the other models. My son bought a 6MT so I've spent quality time with one. I steal the keys every chance I get. It's a blast to drive. Superb power-train and fun to toss around. The folks that trash talk it haven't driven it. It's a nice blend of luxury and sport in a small package.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
If you're leasing, the Accord V6 shouldn't be an option: the lease rate is not too great. The ILX 2.4, on the other hand, has very competitive lease rates ($300 with 0 down) vs the TSX ($350 with 0 down).

That 50 dollar difference a month for a car that offers little technological advantage (better hands free link, memory seat, power passenger seat) and is otherwise dated seems to be the reason why I wouldn't recommend it. As the OP said, you can tweak the ilx (as some have already done) to make it handle better, thus negating that advantage that the tsx has. While most don't mod their cars, it's a consideration point since the op said he wasn't averse to modding.

I owned a 2012 Acura TSX and it did feel more composed and it did feel a bit more premium / solid, but that's not to say that the ilx doesn't feel great -- because it does. The car can definitely use a proper suspension setup, but it's otherwise more fun to drive and I get better mpgs than I ever did with the tsx 30 vs 27. Also important to note that the ILX has keyless entry, which means your keys never leave your pocket -- ever! Also, the gas cap on the TSX is hardly premium -- spring-loaded gas cap, seriously!?

At the end of the day, it's your call, but I'm sure you'll be happy with either. I know I enjoyed my TSX.
Originally Posted by tvac
Go with ILX 6MT. No sense even considering the other models. My son bought a 6MT so I've spent quality time with one. I steal the keys every chance I get. It's a blast to drive. Superb power-train and fun to toss around. The folks that trash talk it haven't driven it. It's a nice blend of luxury and sport in a small package.
I agree with the above posters. I have had both of them in 6mt. You need to drive them both on a good test drive and make your own decision. They are both great cars with pluses and minuses on both. Weigh the price differences and features and how you feel after driving both.

Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: ON THE MARKET: ILX or TSX?