Key Help? Need some Sympathy

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Key Help? Need some Sympathy

Im gonna get ripped for this one but see if I get a little sympathy from the community!!!

...just got back from Philadelphia (thanks Pyro for the Koch's Deli AMMMMMMAZZING)---corned beef on rye was great, weekend was great couple of clubs lots of drinking blah blah blah....

Sunday hit time to check out, packing things up....WHERE THE FUCK ARE MY KEYS!!!!...people were in and out of the hotel drinking during the weekend- some people we knew some people we dont..made phone calls nothing; nobody saw them called the clubs nothing...flipped the hotel room over no sign called hotel security can't help...okay relax relax

One of my friend has work in NYC at 4PM so Im rushing asked the hotel manager whats my best option...he contacted a locksmith(specializes in making duplicates for Valet emergencies which I was told)--- BTW want to remind you its Sunday all dealership are close and I bought my car used and only had one set of keys--- locksmith got there after the valet manager broke in to my car with the blood pressure like instrument--- which by the way fucked up my door locksmith checked out the car said yeah I can do it buuut we need to wait until Monday Morning because he needs the codes to program the key or a machine to fabricate the key....Ughhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Okay Im on a really slim and high parking garage and to get it towed to the dealership which Im sure there going to want me to do is going to cost me a fortune so I said okay to the locksmith...my friends ended up taking a greyhound back home --not happy and obviuosly very very pissed off--- whatever I had to stay an extra night, miss work in the morning....

...Locksmith asked me if I want just a regular key or a key with the switchblade keyfob....I opted out and got the regular key because first Im already spending an extra $200 for the hotel and dont want to spend more on the key or take any chances on delaying the process.... Finally after he promised he can do it by 9:00 AM---FAILL!!! I was finally able to leave around noon straight to work...the key cost me $250 I know its high but the locksmith traveled to me and my car and it was a major emergency he could have asked for $500 and I would have paid it--- anything to get home...

Im off to another Vacation this Thursday to Canada wishhh me luck!!!lolz

After My Vaca I was hoping to go to the nearest dealer and get Key Fob/Switchblade key for the car...any ideas how to cut my cost here... I know there is another thread talking about buying the switchblade key on Ebay and having the dealer program it-- is this possible please any help to cut cost would be cool???
Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Burning Brakes

....Oh to top it off my Car's battery died when the key finally started working, since the alarm was blaring and lights were on and off and it took the locksmith about 2 hours to get the key to get programmed
Old 07-09-2012, 10:09 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
So is your question "am I a dumb shit for losing my keys" or is it "what is a new key going to cost?"

The answer to the first is yes and for the second about $250-300.

I hope the party was worth it.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-10-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Membered Register

Received 161 Likes on 113 Posts
used keys are going for like 30 bucks on ebay. reprogramming at the dealer will be another story tho. and don't let ceb get you down too much he can't even stream pandora.

hope your project x weekend was a good one. if not, sounds like you've got another crack at it this week.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:02 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
YOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!11

its ok man, it could have been A LOT worse
Old 07-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
somewhere in my car, accessible from the outside of my car, is hidden the valet key. thats all i'm gonna say on this matter as you know that you partied too hard hahaha. i've seen more expensive fuck ups. try waking up in the morning "wtf happened last night" "dude, we did GOOD" *reaches in pocket, feels reciept and pulls it out* "WTF... I WITHDREW $500 FROM THE ATM AT 3:19AM!" hahaha
Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 AM
Burning Brakes

hahaha Pyro thats why I never look at my bank statement after crazy weekend I generally have a 2 day cooling off period so it softens the blow...

...Like I said I know Im going to get ripped for this one so Ceb's comment doesn't really bother me I thought he could do better...
And the party was absolutely worth it YOLO!!!

Okay so I can buy a switchblade key on ebay and have the Dealer program it for the car??...will I still be able to use the key that the locksmith made me as a spare??

Last edited by apinwp09GBTSX; 07-10-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:04 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
yea you can buy an uncut key off ebay but the cost of cutting it and programming the key for your car will still be around 150 i think. and yea you should be able to use the locksmith key...why wouldn't you be able to?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:15 AM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
eBay the key bro.
I've had the "WTF WHERE'S MY KEY" panic a couple times too, not a good feeling
At least a lesson is learned here! Ceb can really be a dick! LOLOL
Old 07-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Safety Car

read through this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/tsx-switchblade-key-821020/

and heres a fun story about how killerG's sister disappeared https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/anyone-buy-replacement-key-817981/
Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
somewhere in my car, accessible from the outside of my car, is hidden the valet key. thats all i'm gonna say on this matter as you know that you partied too hard hahaha. i've seen more expensive fuck ups. try waking up in the morning "wtf happened last night" "dude, we did GOOD" *reaches in pocket, feels reciept and pulls it out* "WTF... I WITHDREW $500 FROM THE ATM AT 3:19AM!" hahaha
I'm going to guess it has to do with the fog light flap things???

Also, that feeling of locking your keys in the car/losing them is terrible. When I bought my car I was ready to drive it off and packing things in the tsx trunk. Both sets of keys were together and ended up getting locked in the trunk since it auto locks like 10 seconds after you close the lid. It was Saturday at about 7pm, and the service department didnt open again until Monday morning.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
dis some general chat shit

btw, i lost my keys once, bought a new on ebay for 65$ with blank key, friend at dealer reprogrammed and cut it for free.

deals aint so sweet, just checked for you now, i see 130 for a used uncut fob and 130 for a new oem piece from the dealer, plus whatever 50+ they charge you to program id say like 200~ ish is fair

if you still have a regular working on flip key you can buy the remote housing and transfer it to a flip thingy, search on driveanaccord.net because those guys have a ton of threads on transferring into flip fobs to be cool like us B)
Old 07-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Its funny I was about to post this on the general chit chat thread but I feel like it would get more exposure with its own thread...that thread is like a blackhole sometimes u post things up and get overshadowed by Dick pics...

Thanks for looking around Neil, Yeah I saw that key on ebay for $130 something whatever Im sure its still cheaper than what the dealer is going to ask me...

Stak: I am asking if my spare would still work because when the locksmith programmed a new duplicate key he told me that all spares or my lost key would not work anymore...so If I bring a new uncut switch blade key to the dealer to get it programmed...would it render the newly made locksmith key useless?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:41 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by apinwp09GBTSX
Its funny I was about to post this on the general chit chat thread but I feel like it would get more exposure with its own thread...that thread is like a blackhole sometimes u post things up and get overshadowed by Dick pics...

Thanks for looking around Neil, Yeah I saw that key on ebay for $130 something whatever Im sure its still cheaper than what the dealer is going to ask me...

Stak: I am asking if my spare would still work because when the locksmith programmed a new duplicate key he told me that all spares or my lost key would not work anymore...so If I bring a new uncut switch blade key to the dealer to get it programmed...would it render the newly made locksmith key useless?
Keys will need to be programmed at the same time to allow them to work.

I thought you didn't have a spare key - that's what you said in your initial post.

Clearly, unless the locksmith replaced the mechanisn, the key would still physically unlock the car but the electronics won't talk to each other so the alarm wouldn't deactivate and the car won't start.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts

what the. why would teh duplicate key render your old keys useless? if that is the case...i don't know what or how that locksmith did to the key or to your car...wish i could give u better advice. let me know how it turns out just in case this happens to someone else.

seems like a big hassle for you...sorry man...hope you don't get raped by the dealership when you get a new key
Old 07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
Keys will need to be programmed at the same time to allow them to work.

I thought you didn't have a spare key - that's what you said in your initial post.

Clearly, unless the locksmith replaced the mechanisn, the key would still physically unlock the car but the electronics won't talk to each other so the alarm wouldn't deactivate and the car won't start.

sorry I dont have a spare key let me clarify....

as of right now the only key I have is the locksmith duplicate key...

when the locksmith programmed the key he told me that if I had any spare or I find the lost key that it would not work anymore because the codes have been change...

Now when I go to the dealer to get my switchblade key cut and programmed will it make the locksmith key useless??
Old 07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Safety Car

the way the immobilizer codes and shit works, from my understanding, you can't read it to make new keys. a dealer and a locksmith have the ability to generate new codes, and sync the key to the new code the ECU has that they know. thats why your old key won't work. if your dealer makes a new key, he will do the same to program it, and to have the locksmith key work, it would also have to be programmed at the same time by the dealer. apin, if you want, i can send you to my service advisor at ramsey acura, idk how much he can help you, but they know i know my car, so they don't treat me like an idiot, i think they'd treat you the same
apinwp09GBTSX (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 02:49 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

sorry I dont have a spare key let me clarify....

as of right now the only key I have is the locksmith duplicate key...

when the locksmith programmed the key he told me that if I had any spare or I find the lost key that it would not work anymore because the codes have been change...

Now when I go to the dealer to get my switchblade key cut and programmed will it make the locksmith key useless??
Nope. See PD's comment below

the way the immobilizer codes and shit works, from my understanding, you can't read it to make new keys. a dealer and a locksmith have the ability to generate new codes, and sync the key to the new code the ECU has that they know. thats why your old key won't work. if your dealer makes a new key, he will do the same to program it, and to have the locksmith key work, it would also have to be programmed at the same time by the dealer. apin, if you want, i can send you to my service advisor at ramsey acura, idk how much he can help you, but they know i know my car, so they don't treat me like an idiot, i think they'd treat you the same
Correct. The dealer will program your current and the new key to the same code to work with the car.
apinwp09GBTSX (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I'll call the Maywood service too just to compare prices pm me phone number and contact name for the Ramsey one...Thanks Pyro
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
if you find a cool dealer they will cut for free i had a switchblade key i bought off ebay for my wifes accord and got it cut when i was randomly in gainsville for free.