Inventory situation... is the shortage real or are dealers playing hardball?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Angry Inventory situation... is the shortage real or are dealers playing hardball?

No end in sight? Multiple reports saying that production levels won't be near normal until the end of the year.

Here's one article:

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...ly_539886.html

And here's an email response from a local dealer when I put in a few reasonable quotes...

"Thank you for your interest in Acura and for taking the time to submit an offer.

We cannot accept either offer at this time as there are no cash incentives on the TL or TSX. We don't anticipate receiving any this year based on our inventory situation. That said, we are certainly willing to discount the vehicles; we just don't have any additonal assistance from Acura.

For reference, here are a few links that show our invoice price on the car as well as Edmunds.com's "true market value". "

FWIW, my offers were very reasonable. I personally think dealers are holding inventory and trying to sell as close to sticker as possible, if not more...
Old 05-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I can assure you that it is very real. We still get those emails from people all over the west asking for invoice pricing on a car we don't have and can't get. All of our wagon orders have been canceled. Cars that were a 2 months out have now been pushed back farther or canceled all together. Here is part of a letter that we received this week from John Mendel.

"Following are several specific issues we can confirm that will affect your supply of Acura vehicles in the days ahead.
• Regarding Japan production, we will fulfill the existing orders from March and April with May and June production. After that, due to the limited parts supply we will bring in only a very limited number of Japan-built vehicles for the remainder of the year. Fortunately, approximately 80 percent of the vehicles we sell in America are built at Honda plants in North America. However, this may mean several models including TSX, TSX Wagon, and RL will be unavailable for order until later in the year."
Old 05-04-2011, 03:02 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A dealer yesterday (NJ) told me they won't be producing any more 2011 TSX Sport Wagons this year and will be coming out with the 2012 in October. The .9% financing offer which had been through May 2 is not being offered. Unfortunately, the best price I could find was for black exterior, which is not for me.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The shortage is very real. I went and got a new TSX with a great deal early even though I still had a month left on my prior lease because I saw this coming. After I picked up my '11 last month, my dealer told me they weren't getting any TSXs in May and who knows when after that. Another dealer I called said the same thing. I wanted a black on black 6 speed with tech which are hard to come by even in the best of times, so I'm glad I made a move when I did.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Burning Brakes

White92, I wonder how that affects 2012 TSX models, since they come out in the fall (or are supposed to)?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Racer

I doubt you'll see the 2012 TSX in the fall if they can't even get the high volume 2012 Honda CR-V going by then, which is much more of a priority because of its greater importance to Honda's bottom line. We didn't even get the 2011 TSX until December.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Racer

I don't know if it will be the fall or not. The 2009 TSX first came out in May so I don't think they hold fast to the fall time for cars coming out. I doubt it will be back to normal by then and they won't start building 2012 TSX's just because it's time to start building them. They still need the parts to build the cars whether they are 2011 or 2012 models.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
On Monday, Honda announced it was suspending June and July dealer orders for the CR-Z, Civic Hybrid, Fit, Acura TSX and Acura RL. Those vehicles are built in Japan, where shortages are still severe. At this point, the Japanese automaker is expecting operations to return to normal production before the end of the year.

This is all very bad news for Honda, and it's bad for consumers as well. It appears that Honda showrooms are likely to be very short on product for an extended period of time.
The shortage is real and worse than anticipated.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Agree Killer.

PS - Your avatar is SIIIICCKK. Archer FTW!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by ressling
Agree Killer.

PS - Your avatar is SIIIICCKK. Archer FTW!
As others said, the shortage is very real.

H Jon Benjamin will always be Coach McGuirk to me.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
I picked my '11 TSX up last Friday, three days before the previous pricing and incentives expired. I made the deal the week before at a price of $27,400.

I ended up getting mine for $28k, but towards the end they were threatening to pull their offer completely and nix the entire deal due to the inventory situation. I pissed and moaned and they raised their price a little, but given the current landscape I feel I got a decent deal.

The financing and lease prices have all changed, I think if I hadn't got the deal I got I would be looking for a '10 CPO...
Old 05-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Not exactly TSX related, but this is affecting ALL production including NA.

Today's update (excerpt):

As we informed you on May 2, tomorrow you will receive your allocation of the June 2011 production from our North American facilities. Due to our parts supply situation, these vehicles have been pre-selected by trim and color.

Given the sales and inventory situation we have outlined previously, for future allocations we will continue to look at the allocation parameters to provide a fair and reasonable allocation for all dealers.

Please note, existing and future orders will need to be adjusted for exterior color changes due to supply of a paint pigment. We will inform you of the color changes separately.
It looks like we're not going to be able to select color and trim combos. Dealers will have to take whatever they send.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2nd gen TSX's might be a collectors item soon!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by fallacy
2nd gen TSX's might be a collectors item soon!
Especially the wagons
Old 05-05-2011, 04:29 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
FWIW, I've been watching prices on USAA's car buying service; pre-earthquake, they were quoting ~$27.5k non-tech and ~$30.5k tech; now they are saying ~$31.5k tech, I believe.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
Especially the wagons
I'm glad I picked up my wagon when I did... There were 2 wagons with tech, and 5 without... I just checked my dealers inventory last night, and they only showed 1 left in stock..

Been stopped a few time by people asking me about the wagon... which is a pretty odd experience...
Old 05-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My dealer had 3 2010 models, all but mine were being used as demo vehicles (I had 8 miles). They told me they had no 2011 models coming due to the problems in Japan and weren't sure when they'd be getting more.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
Especially the wagons

wagons for sure, it's already a rare car with 4000 planned this year...i wonder how many has already been sold.... maybe they'll kill it completely ?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Pro

Received 541 Likes on 238 Posts
The shortage is REAL. I work at Lexus and hear about this almost everyday. But recently business has been so slowwww, I don't see how they can raise their prices.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:54 AM
Racer

Received 240 Likes on 151 Posts
Took delivery of a wagon yesterday. Deal negotiated in late April and my dealer did not adjust the lease price even though the incentives ended May 2. They only have two other wagons in stock and are not anticipating more until October. BTW the car is GREAT !!!!!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
This is all very interesting I did not realize how serious the problem was ... I really thought dealers were just using it as a way to raise process .... This is def eye opening
Old 05-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I'm glad I got my wagon when I did!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Burning Brakes

More proof that the situation is playing into the economics of the used car market:

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...Tabs%3Darticle
Old 05-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pens Fan
Took delivery of a wagon yesterday. Deal negotiated in late April and my dealer did not adjust the lease price even though the incentives ended May 2. They only have two other wagons in stock and are not anticipating more until October. BTW the car is GREAT !!!!!
Your price didn't change because the national pricing adjustment had already occurred by late April. My deal was struck late March and I had to wait a few weeks for the car to be shipped from Japan. The week before I took delivery April 15th, I was notified they could not honor the pricing that was first offered. They still offered a fair price, it just wasn't the awesome below invoice deal I originally had.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Another article; this time from the Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,3558523.story

Be sure to read the last paragraph...
Old 05-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
i dunno how accurate the tribune is considering im pretty certain that the TSX and RL are made in japan, while the TL is not, yet all three are listed in "short supply", indicating that this researching probably wrote this article half assed
Old 05-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PyroDave
i dunno how accurate the tribune is considering im pretty certain that the TSX and RL are made in japan, while the TL is not, yet all three are listed in "short supply", indicating that this researching probably wrote this article half assed
The TL is manufactured in North America, but it most of its parts still come from Japan. So it too is affected. Any car relying on major parts from Japan will be in short supply no matter where it's built.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I purchased a TSX Wagon last week and I know they are in short supply. Acura may even let the 2011 supply run out and the new supply may be called the 2012 model when they are able to deliver more of the TSX's from Japan.

My dealer only had one TSX Wagon in stock with little chance of getting any more for a while. I didn't like the one they had in stock and my dealer had to do a dealer trade to get me the TSX Wagon I wanted. The trading dealer took a TL from my dealer in place of the wagon I wanted.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PyroDave
Last paragraph talks about very limited supply... the other paragraphs speak to supply leveling out by July/August...

In other words, TSX is most affected by the disaster overseas...
Old 05-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Racer

Received 240 Likes on 151 Posts
I leased a TSX wagon two weeks ago and my dealer had only four available (now there are two). They confirmed that the next shipment will most likely be 2012 models. I negotiated the lease at the end of April and took delivery May 7th. The price was very fair and they honored the national Acura program (0 0 0 35 payment lease) that expired May 2nd. The car is for my wife and she just loves it.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
***This is a real shortage no doubt!!!*** I am experiencing it first-hand at the Acura Dealership I work at in Florida :-(
Old 05-25-2011, 01:35 AM
Cruisin'

What happens if the dealer doesn't have the combo/model I want? Should I wait? How does the process work?
Old 05-25-2011, 04:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Froglet
What happens if the dealer doesn't have the combo/model I want? Should I wait? How does the process work?
well they can do a dealer swap with another dealership. pretty much a car trade. keep in mind though that negotiating a deal is more difficult when that happens, but most will accomadate you. go ahead and try. dont settle, its better to wait until they are in stock or try your hardest to find a dealer who has what you want. remember you are keeping this car for a minimum of 3 years, you gotta love what you get and not wish you got someting different
Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I did the dealer swap with my new wagon, but I went into the price negotiation with a printout of my preferred vehicle from the dealership less than 200 miles away. In other words, they KNEW I had already located the exact vehicle I wanted. My dealership wanted to keep my business and the negotiations went very well.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yuck remember one thing folks...Dealer Trades are not good!!! I work for an Acura dealer and have worked for other car lines. Dealers only trade their worst car...paint damage, tree sap, bird doo stain, missing floormats, etc. Hawk your car over if they trade for it with another dealer.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Froglet
As previously noted your dealer can do a dealer swap with another dealer that does have what you want. Keep in mind that the area in which each dealer does this varies. Usually within a certain mile radius. Your luck with that will depend on how rare what you want is. For example, If you want a manual tranny with tech you are almost certainly shit out of luck.

If they can't find what you want and you don't want to settle, then you'll have to wait. I've read it could be as late as October before some factories are at full capacity. In which case, I'd wait for a 2012.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DunedinBG
Yuck remember one thing folks...Dealer Trades are not good!!! I work for an Acura dealer and have worked for other car lines. Dealers only trade their worst car...paint damage, tree sap, bird doo stain, missing floormats, etc. Hawk your car over if they trade for it with another dealer.

I'm not sure I agree with that. My last TSX was a dealer trade and it was flawless. Part of delivery prep is correcting any flaws before delivery. The manufacturer pays the dealer for this service. There is no reason for a dealer to deliver a defective car.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DunedinBG
Yeah, I don't agree with that either. I've worked at 2 Acura dealerships and we trade all the time with dealerships in multiple states. Trades are a weekly occurance and not just since the shortage. I've never received a car that was damaged or anything. The worst issue I've ever had with a trade was the wrong shipping company picked up the car and took it to another dealership in a different state. We just had to wait another week to get it here.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Craig-D
As previously noted your dealer can do a dealer swap with another dealer that does have what you want. Keep in mind that the area in which each dealer does this varies. Usually within a certain mile radius. Your luck with that will depend on how rare what you want is. For example, If you want a manual tranny with tech you are almost certainly shit out of luck.

If they can't find what you want and you don't want to settle, then you'll have to wait. I've read it could be as late as October before some factories are at full capacity. In which case, I'd wait for a 2012.

Any information on the 2012?

I am simply looking for white, w/ black interior (

IIRC, these cars are assembled in Japan/USA? VIN starts w/ a J. I'm a bit weary about waiting that long, have no real idea of the impact, nor would I want something built there, if you know what I mean.

I'm not in a great rush, but I agree that if I can't get what I want, I might have to pass, then again I'm kind of pressed into getting a new car.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
^All TSX are made in Japan, hence VIN JH4CU2XXXXXXXXXX.

Quick Reply: Inventory situation... is the shortage real or are dealers playing hardball?