Intermittent A/C problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 11:12 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intermittent A/C problems

I've been having Air conditioning problems on my 2010 TSX. When the A/C works it's cold, no problems. When it's not working it will just cut out randomly. I bought a new relay switch and a magnetic clutch fuse (7.5) and swapped both of them yesterday. A/C worked on the way to the store, didn't on the way home. I'm fresh out of ideas any idea?
Old 05-22-2021, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I would suggest checking the pressure in both the high and low pressure lines first. You can buy an A/C service tool set or take it to a shop, as it's not something you can do with non-specific tools.

What I did on another car when I knew my A/C was not working correctly was take it to Firestone, have them perform the system test, then repair it myself after finding out what was wrong. I also have the service tools and a vacuum pump (also necessary to evacuate the system before refilling), so you may just want to pay a shop to do it all at once.

It's possible the condenser is clogged or partially restricted, too. While you may be able t visually inspect the exterior of the condenser, it's nearly impossible to know if everything is flowing properly inside the condenser. Aftermarket condensers are less than $100, so probably worth replacing while the system is evacuated.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:31 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by forward
I would suggest checking the pressure in both the high and low pressure lines first. You can buy an A/C service tool set or take it to a shop, as it's not something you can do with non-specific tools.

What I did on another car when I knew my A/C was not working correctly was take it to Firestone, have them perform the system test, then repair it myself after finding out what was wrong. I also have the service tools and a vacuum pump (also necessary to evacuate the system before refilling), so you may just want to pay a shop to do it all at once.

It's possible the condenser is clogged or partially restricted, too. While you may be able t visually inspect the exterior of the condenser, it's nearly impossible to know if everything is flowing properly inside the condenser. Aftermarket condensers are less than $100, so probably worth replacing while the system is evacuated.
So I took it to a shop, they said the freon was low and vacuumed out the old and put in new with a dye to check for leaks, no leaks. AC did the thing again where it's working fine for a while then it stops. After I leave it off for like 10-15 minutes and start it up again it works fine again. Mechanic thinks its the compressor, Honda wants 800 for the part alone.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:47 PM
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts
Had the same symptoms with my 09 TSX...compressor failure. When the compressor fails, it spits crap throughout the system and thus you'll be replacing all the components or risk the garbage causing another failure in the near future. I believe mine was ~$1500 at my go-to mechanic. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:31 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Find a parts car at a auto wreckers or try rock auto. I checked rock auto its $195 Canadian dollar shipping will be a little bit more