Installing Decklid Spoiler with 3M Tape Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 12:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installing Decklid Spoiler with 3M Tape Troubles

I recently bought a decklid spoiler paint matched for my TSX.

I installed it a couple days ago for the third time after having problems with the edges the first time and rain the second. This time I made sure to do all of the proper things to install after doing lots of research to make sure I got it right. I prepped the spoiler, put on the automotive super-strength 3M double sided tape on the edges of the spoiler, washed and cleaned the trunk surface with alcohol, dried the surface, test fitted, masked the edges, peeled back the edges of tape and put on some adhesive sealant on the spoiler, installed and heated the tape, pressed it down securely in all places for several minutes, and then held the spoiler down with tape overnight in the garage.

All of the spoiler seems to be extremely secure today but for some reason the sides that are coming off already and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make the sides adhere without taking off the spoiler again. The rest of the spoiler is really well cured. The surface is still pretty clean since the car is in the garage. This is my third time doing this and I will be giving up after this, since I do not want to drill the spoiler.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
It would help if you added a picture. It's common for the edges to come up on aftermarket parts as they are not perfectly flat and the lack of tape on the edges.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 01:01 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I would have also used clamps to help clamp it down.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EuroRspec
It would help if you added a picture. It's common for the edges to come up on aftermarket parts as they are not perfectly flat and the lack of tape on the edges.

This part is lifting up. I made sure when installing that this rounded part was adhered first and well before the edge to the right in this picture. Unfortunately, it just doesn’t want to stick at the rounded part.

Last edited by dealornodeal; 07-28-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:20 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
yeah, the rounded part is not flat. and cant get a good hold.
Clamps would have helped
Old 07-28-2020, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Clamps and/or a bit of heat from a heat gun to help make the spoiler or tape a bit more "flexible".......
EuroRspec (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 01:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
Clamps would have helped
I agree. I guess I would have had to go out and buy some unique clamps because clamping in that spot was really awkward for what I tested. There wasn’t any good spot to clamp under the trunk lid for that part of the spoiler so I would run the risk of the clamp slipping right off and denting the back of the car.

What would your recommend I do now?
Old 07-28-2020, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chris Kramer
Clamps and/or a bit of heat from a heat gun to help make the spoiler or tape a bit more "flexible".......
I suppose I could still try that without taking the spoiler off. I have a blow dryer that can get really hot. I don’t exactly want to use a heat gun, but how long would I need to heat it for on a heat gun?
Old 07-28-2020, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dealornodeal
I suppose I could still try that without taking the spoiler off. I have a blow dryer that can get really hot. I don’t exactly want to use a heat gun, but how long would I need to heat it for on a heat gun?
You can use a blow dryer and it should still work.

I think part of the issue is the spoiler isn't a perfect match to the curvature of the trunk. If it's plastic, I would get the whole spoiler really hot and tape/clamp the edges down overnight.
dealornodeal (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 10:09 PM
Intermediate

I think part of the issue is the spoiler isn't a perfect match to the curvature of the trunk. If it's plastic, I would get the whole spoiler really hot and tape/clamp the edges down overnight.
It is ABS plastic. How long do you recommend I heat it for and roughly how long on each part?
Old 07-28-2020, 11:14 PM
Intermediate

Also do you think that it might be a problem that I put the tape right on the edge? Should I have put the tape in some from the edge? Just wondering, thanks.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:34 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
I've tried heat on things like this before, it may work, but I think your downfall here isn't the adhesive, it's the pulling away force caused by the spoilers shape, the curve isn't exactly matching possibly.
dealornodeal (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 09:46 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. With all things considered, the spoiler looks really good and is cured really well, except for those curvature points that aren’t adhered. So I’m just going to cut my losses here since and invest my time elsewhere, since I don’t think anymore time I put into it is really going to benefit it long term. I put some RTV silicone adhesive sealant near that rounded spot when I installed it, so the spoiler should hold well for awhile. If it comes off or I face more problems, I’ll just take off the spoiler and consider a lesson learned, that I should just pay a hundred extra or two to get an OEM spoiler and possibly get it installed by a professional. Thanks again for the help guys.
Midnight Mystery (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 04:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
Clamps would have helped
One more question, if I reinstalled. Do you think 3M adhesion promoter would have compensated for the rounded edge and made it stick?
Old 07-29-2020, 04:44 PM
Instructor

One more question, if I reinstalled. Do you think 3M adhesion promoter would have compensated for the rounded edge and made it stick?
I would head up the edges as hot as possible without damaging the surfaces. Also not so hot you can put 3M painters tape down.

I don't think the adhesive promoter would help. The root of the problem is the actual spoiler and how it's manufactured.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:49 PM
Intermediate

I would head up the edges as hot as possible without damaging the surfaces. Also not so hot you can put 3M painters tape down.

I don't think the adhesive promoter would help. The root of the problem is the actual spoiler and how it's manufactured.
Ok. Now after I’ve installed or is that if I reinstall?
Old 07-31-2020, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Ok. Now after I’ve installed or is that if I reinstall?
Are you planning on reinstalling? That would be your best bet, but I would try to do it now.

Also, how did you apply the tape on the spoiler? You really don't need much. Just two long strips running lengthwise down the spoiler. Most OEM applications do not go all the way to the edge, they stop 1/8th inch from the end. Also, to manage expectations, it may never look absolutely perfect. Even OEM spoilers that are glued on have slight separation on the edges.
Midnight Mystery (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

Are you planning on reinstalling? That would be your best bet, but I would try to do it now.

Also, how did you apply the tape on the spoiler? You really don't need much. Just two long strips running lengthwise down the spoiler. Most OEM applications do not go all the way to the edge, they stop 1/8th inch from the end. Also, to manage expectations, it may never look absolutely perfect. Even OEM spoilers that are glued on have slight separation on the edges.
I put it all pretty much right on the edge after noticing that the previous time I installed, some of the back tape didn’t meet the trunk edge. I don’t really plan on reinstalling at this point, considering that I did put some silicone sealant near the side edges this time, so that should protect the rest of the tape. The edges are not sufficiently connected by the tape, but the sealant seems to be holding them down enough. If the silicone sealant fails and I do reinstall, I’ll be sure to use everyone’s advice.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:01 PM
Intermediate

I could heat up the edges again with a blow dryer, but every attempt I’ve made with it previously hasn’t actually helped. The tape always seems to fail on the rounded part, whether I heat it up before installing, when installing, or after. I could go out and buy a heat gun, but I’d rather not drop anymore $.

Last edited by dealornodeal; 07-31-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:18 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Understood.

I think you're probably just fighting the geometry of the spoiler not being shaped exactly to the curvature of the trunk lid. The only way I'd see it going flush is with a threaded bolt, which isn't a good idea, IMO.