I am getting rid of my TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am getting rid of my TSX

Guys, I am so, so disappointed with my TSX so I decided to sell it. I have under 500 miles on it, and I just cannot live with it.

The reasons are:
1) SEATS.
This is the biggie. I cannot drive it without a pain. I have bad back, I am training a lot, and I haven't back pain for amost 5 years now because of my constant training and ergonomic workplace. I am driving TSX for 10 minutes and the whole day my back is in the pain. Trust me on the ergonomic - I am sitting on the Herman Miller Aeron & Mira chairs, I know human body, and with my back and shoulders, I just cannot drive it. I did 1 000 miles trip with my previous car WITHOUT any pain caused by seats, now I can do 10 miles... The car is a supportive machine for me, I am using it every day for work and living, I cannot be without a car, and this is stressing me.

2) SUSPENSION
This is the second major issue. The setup is a piece of crap. Hard and unstable. I hit wavy road yesterday and I found this car even dangerous. BTW did you try emergency braking? Every car I have, I tried it on the limits, because then I know what I can expect from the car in a critical situations. Just try the emergency braking on a slippery road. But try it on a place without any obstacles.
Then the car is very unstable on cracked road.
On the best German autobahns it is hard. Without the reason.

3) STEERING
This is not a major. But if anybody ever will tell me that TSX CU2 has sporty or precise steering, I will lock him in the boot and I will driving with him inside until he dies. It is completely dead, and when parking, you can HEAR the electric servo. NO car I have ever driven does this. And the steering wheel sux, when parking, two times my hands slipped from it and I cut my finger a bit on the hazard indicator.

Please don't get me wrong, this is no offensive thread. I honestly with you all the best with the TSX. But I am so disappointed, that I cannot live with it. Now the second nightmare is coming - selling a car.

So if anybody want brand new Accord Euro from europe, just PM me
Old 02-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
what about if you bought coilovers?

the steering and suspension felt different after i lowered my car with springs with stock shocks. i wonder how it feels like if i used coilovers
Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Instructor

It can help, but the no.1 is the seat. I am going to try if anything like some ergnonomic-uder-back-pillow exists, then maybe it will be fine. I don't like the setup, but I can live with it. But now I just cannot drive the car because of back pain
Old 02-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Sorry to hear the car isn't right for you; that's life though. Any idea on what you will be replacing the TSX with?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get a camry
Old 02-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Vancouver B.C.

V6 Camry is faster than old TL Type-S...i think?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Instructor

We don't have camry in Europe.

I have no idea what to buy now, the TSX is so damm good priced! For its money, I really don't know. Thinking of VW Passat CC, but I red some horrible quality issues.... If money no object, I would buy MB CLS with the airmatic suspension.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Instructor

HHCZ, sorry to hear that you're selling so soon. I guess there's no need to tell you that you're going to take a big hit on price.

Maybe some custom seat covers with sewn-in padding where needed? I know it's not too cool, but if it makes the car driveable then it doesn't matter. Perhaps then you could live with the brakes and suspension for a couple of years so as not to lose so much cash?

It's hard to think of another car to replace the Accord. What about a Toyota Avensis or a Subaru Legacy?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Instructor

if you have a bad back, then I can understand the first complaint. There's not much I can say about that since my back is fine. But I'm surprised about the last two complaints. I dont experience this issue with my 09 TSX and I'm dealing with the crappy NY streets....but to each their own.

good luck with the sell.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Silver, maybe this is a solution, but really not so cool I am going to call the dealer, and ask about the warranty. And am going to try to find some way how to improve the seat. As you said, the other things are minors, and I can live with them.

The new subaru legacy is probably a very good car in a technical way and very good priced. I tried it before the TSX, but it was new only at the salon. But it is very ugly, and I didn't like the drivers position.

Avensis has only a 2,0 petrol 150 HP as a top range model, and that is so slow.

Oh no, I don't want to go thru this again. I am just afraid of, that for TSX's money, I cannot get better. Slightly used car (lets say 1-year) could work, but BMW 3 or MB C or Audi A4 are still so expensive, when you want a decent options.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Instructor

I really hope the CC is better in europe than in USA because although its a nice car, i found the TSX had a better and more comfortable ride
Old 02-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Instructor

I'm with you man. if i could get out of my lease on the TSX without having to shell out some serious $$, i wouldn't think twice about it....and I don't even drive it anymore.

Good luck to you.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Intermediate

HHCZ, please post Which car you get to replace it. I'm interested to hear if this new car solves your back problems. Good luck! I've found the Accord LX-P to be the most comfortable seat out there.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Instructor

GrigioX: I am sorry for you too. What is your "problem" with the TSX?

minal: One car I liked a LOT was new Cadillac CTS. Can you guess why I didn't buy it? Because it has awful seats. But not in a back area, but the bottom seat was extremely, but I mean really extremely short. They also doing CTS-V with 6.2 litre corvette engine and this version had Recaro seats - but the dealer was unable to order them and replace the current seats. Oh and the CTS-V has a magnetic suspension. Sad that the -V is two times more expensive. Of course the build quality is in the other galaxy than Honda/Acura.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hmm i got a horrible back, it hurts all the time. and i must say the only place my back feels good is in my car. lol Did you try adjusting the lumbar?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I hear Volvos have pretty comfortable seats. Sorry to hear about your troubles and hopefully whatever you get to replace it is more comfortable for you.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I hear Volvos have pretty comfortable seats. Sorry to hear about your troubles and hopefully whatever you get to replace it is more comfortable for you.
+1, get a C30 hatch!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

or see if you can find something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Obusforme-Lumbar...item19b9f5d218
Old 02-18-2010, 01:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HHCZ

Oh no, I don't want to go thru this again. I am just afraid of, that for TSX's money, I cannot get better. Slightly used car (lets say 1-year) could work, but BMW 3 or MB C or Audi A4 are still so expensive, when you want a decent options.
HHCZ, I really think you should drive the Accord for more than 500 miles before parting with it. I know how you feel as I was disappointed with mine to begin with. It had endless trim rattles and creaks, plus the diesel was sooo noisy on tickover and under light acceleration. Steering was cr*p, too! But I managed to locate and fix most of the rattles/creaks and the the diesel definitely improved as the mileage increased.

What I'm saying is, maybe you could give it a bit more time? The value of the car has already taken it's biggest hit so another few months and a few thousand miles isn't going to see it fall much further.

As for replacing it with an Audi/BMW/MB ... I suggest you have an extended test drive in these cars. I drove an A4, a 320 and a C Class before buying the Accord. Every one of them had issues and not one of them was as 'complete' as the Accord. The A4 has a weird, offset driving position (pedals one way, steering wheel the other) which will kill your back. The BMW has no suspension at all, which will kill your back. And the MB I drove felt like a truck! It was slow and unresponsive in just about every area. Also, my experience is that reliability has to be called into question with all German brands. I've had 4 brand new VWs and they've all had problems which have, in 2 instances, meant that the cars were in the garage for several weeks. This just doesn't seem to happen with Jap cars.

I'm surprised that you have problems with the brakes. Maybe it's specific to your car and the dealer could take a look? With regard to suspension, that will definitely settle after a while and the ride quality WILL improve!

Someone here suggested having the driver's seat re-upholstered. That's an excellent idea. I'd think that a decent upholstery shop would be able to remove the offending 'wings' and reinstate the leather at that point.

Finally, don't forget that it's winter and rubber tryes, suspension bushes, etc are all much harder in the cold weather. If you can hang in there until spring you may feel differently and start looking for 20" wheels with 30 profile tyres
Old 02-18-2010, 04:33 AM
Instructor

Today I contacted some seat-cushion-service and they told me that they can adjust the seat. I posted them photos, so today I should get more info and prices.

btw, I drove 330i and 320 C, both sucked. I hoped for A4 haha. If they will improve my seat and if this will solve my back problem of course I will stay with the TSX. And I will saving as a hel to get that new E-class coupé
Old 02-18-2010, 05:21 AM
Instructor

Today I contacted some seat-cushion-service and they told me that they can adjust the seat. I posted them photos, so today I should get more info and prices.

btw, I drove 330i and 320 C, both sucked. I hoped for A4 haha. If they will improve my seat and if this will solve my back problem of course I will stay with the TSX. And I will saving as a hel to get that new E-class coupé
I hope the seat thing works out for you. Maybe then you can start looking for some nice 20" wheels
Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

E class coupe is such an elegant coupe. in that case i'd say forget the tsx and get E class coupe, haha.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:19 AM
3rd Gear

I have the same issue with my seat, never had back pain, just bought a 2010 TSX V6 base and in pain after 10-15 mins of driving. There is less of it in the morning but still enough pain for me to call client services 20+ times.

I have owned a 1991 Acura Legend coupe, I love that car, never had issues with anything in that vehicle. That was the best reason why I bought the TSX. Does anyone have suggestions?

MY BACK IS KILLING ME and the lumber only makes it worst because (to me) the lumber seats to high in the seat. I have moved the seat up, down, the back cushion up and down, nothing helps.

I love the car, the power, the tech in the car but I miss my basis Altima because of the seat. Please understand I am a fan but the pain kills the fun .

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:26 AM
3rd Gear

Lower BACK pain in my 2010 TSX V6 base

I leased the car about 3 months ago and my back has been killing me after the 1st week of driving the car. I have adjusted the seat in every way possible and I still have PAIN. I have read a couple of articles about the lumbar support being too high on the back (it sits on the middle of the back which makes it worst).

I got some good info form this post: http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...sage_id=734897

Does anyone have the same problem with a 2009-2010 TSX? Is there any advice or “fix” for this outside of ripping the seat apart and inserting foam as states in the post above?

PLEASE HELP never had back issues and now Advil is my best friend!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:08 AM
Burning Brakes

How old are u guyz with the back pains???

Ive driven soooo many cars and the TSX by far has the most supportive seats...seriously IMO they could not be more perfect for aggressive driving

The whole driving experience is meant to be sporty....the seats, the steering wheel, the gauges, etc. Its not meant to be a comfy highway cruiser - thats why the suspension is stiff. (OP shudve noticed this on the test drive and not bought the car)

The steering has a very quick response, its very accurate thats why the car handles pretty well but it lacks feel. If every car felt like a beemer we would all have exactly the same driving experience, there would be nothing new, nothing different
Old 02-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
re #1) Hard to imagine. I have a horrible back (significant scoliosis of the spine), and the seats in the TSX are by far some of the best I've ever had in a car.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
Its not meant to be a comfy highway cruiser - thats why the suspension is stiff.

The steering has a very quick response, its very accurate thats why the car handles pretty well but it lacks feel
I don't think the suspension is stiff in the sense that the springs are too strong. I believe it's the damping rates which are at fault as they're not in tune with the springs once the going starts to get a bit bumpy. Handling is reasonable (given that this isn't a high performance car) as long as conditions remain reasonably static. However, both sharp and long undulations in the road surface can cause all sorts of problems when cornering as the dampers simply cannot control the movement. I reckon the stock springs would perform a lot better with different dampers, especially on the rear.

As for the steering, I'd agree that the car has no problem in going where it's pointed, but I think the electric assistance is far too artificial and it definitely ruins the feel. Accurate positioning on the road is also made a lot harder than it need be simply because there's so little feedback through the steering.

I'd argue the pont about this car not being a comfy highway cruiser. The chassis feels far more composed when travelling at speed in a straight line than it does when presented with a series of sharp bends on anything other than a perfect road surface.

With regard to seat comfort, I had my reservations at first but now, having lived with them for a while, I think they're at least as good as anything I've had before. But then I don't have a bad back!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Legend911men, I understand your pain. Each of the Hondas I've owned (90 Integra, 00 Accord and 06 TSX) have had the lumber support too high in the seat which leaves my lower back completely unsupported. The only things I have found that helps is I adjust the back of the seat almost straight up, move the lumber to lowest setting and use either a pair of gloves or hand towel as a cushion to support my lower back. These help the issue, but do not completely eliminate it. I wish you luck.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:59 PM
3rd Gear

I am 25 and I am a personal trainer, never had or have back issues. With that said I think I live a very healthy life. I also was under the mindset that I will get used to it and it only became an issue after a month of nothing changing with the comfort. My point is I had a Nissan Altima 2.5 S with is a basic car with all manual controls for the seat and never had this pain. The truth is I had to also get used to it but I never had these issues with the Altima or any other car in the past. The only small relief is when I lower my seat back and little and take the pressure off the small of my back. If anyone has other suggestions please let me know.

The steering is fine, it is electronic with little feel but I think it feels better then a IS250-350 but I do like the G37 coupe’s steering a little more.

Also the ride is “sporty”; I like the sporty ride and the power. To be honest I like this car more than a 3 series (328i) but if I knew my back would kill me so much I would think twice.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND MY COMMENTS
Old 02-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I never quite understand the point of these kinds of posts. If someone doesn't like their car for whatever reason after only 500 miles, they need to do what they think is appropriate. I am not one to opine or try to convince to stick with the car. One thing I assume the OP realizes is that they will take a hit of a couple of thousand dollars. If he or she is fine with that, then go for it.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by legend911men
I leased the car about 3 months ago and my back has been killing me after the 1st week of driving the car. I have adjusted the seat in every way possible and I still have PAIN. I have read a couple of articles about the lumbar support being too high on the back (it sits on the middle of the back which makes it worst).

I got some good info form this post: http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...sage_id=734897

Does anyone have the same problem with a 2009-2010 TSX? Is there any advice or “fix” for this outside of ripping the seat apart and inserting foam as states in the post above?

PLEASE HELP never had back issues and now Advil is my best friend!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
exactly like that! For some people the seats are just "uncomatible".

For other guys who don't believe us - we are not offensive! We bought the TSX as the best car possible, so we like it (or liked it), but this is just very bad experience with the car. We are here to find the solution. And about the low mileage - It is best to solve the problem as fast as possible! More miles = more price drop. The car could be the best on the planet, but if I have pain every day, what is the point of having it? Do you think that we are happy about this?

I must admit, that my other complains were a bit "hot" when I was angry about the seat. We HAVE to consider the price of the car, and I still cannot find any car good as the TSX for its price, really. But again, what If I cannot drive it....
Old 03-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Instructor

I red the vtec board and you can see exactly what we are disusing here as well. There are a few people bad with the seat, and other who are fine. And the same as us, they said that maybe a upholsterer service can help.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Advanced

Lets trade...I have a camry and thinking of getting a tsx..lol
Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bugger, its a pity to hear. Weird about your back pains, i sit too on a Herman Miller Aeron at home and i don't find that the CU2 seats induce back pain. I actually think they are pretty comfortable and the suspension setup good in terms of comfort without being too boat-like.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I had some issues at first with my 1G as well. It took a good several months of constant adjustments to stop my leg pain, but it eventually subsided.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 PM
VTX
Advanced

Sorry to heart that...

TSX is the best car i've had.

It has the best seats I've ever sat on in a car. I drove 550 miles straight last week and my body did not ache at all.
And I'm in the Army too, so you can guess what my body must be taking on a regular basis. But when I sit in my TSX, I am really comfortable with no pains in my back.

But then I'm not really a big guy, 180cm tall and 80kilograms. It might be a different story for bigger dudes.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Yike I guess you don't like the TSX. Seats. Both my wife and have back problems . The seats are no where as goo as in our 2001 CL-S but much better that in my G-35.
Braking. I would disagree with you statement.
Now be that mine is a US yours is in Europe. But while not the best brake s in the world (Acura/Honda never known for great brakes) I would NEVER say they were dangerous. Perhaps a bit long is stopping distance.
Ride/suspension; is subjective. I find it a nice ballance. Not as firm as my G-35 but I did not want that in a sedan.
So good luck.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Today I finally found the whole problem. It is the Acura/Honda. Let me explain.

The TSX is a average car for a average price. The end. If they sell it like that, no problem with that. I had some VW, Skoda, Citoren, Chrysler, Fiat, Opel, Ford cars. All are mainstream cars for some affordable money, each of this car had some problems, but I am just cool about them because they are mainstram. For average price, average car. I know what I am buying.

BUT Honda says, that they are some sort of entry-level-premium product. So, you are expecting premium product for a average price. And you just don't get it - because it is impossible to get it. And for that reason, me, and some other people there are pissed of, because Honda did not match our high expectations. Guys, nearly all of us are constantly saying (including me) "hey, it is not that bad, you have to think of the price! It is a valuable car!". We are all confusing ourselves, that we bought a premium. We don't. Look at the TSX as a average mainstram car, and all things get sense. At least, in my head did.

Peace.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Instructor

We are all confusing ourselves, that we bought a premium. We don't. Look at the TSX as a average mainstream car, and all things get sense
HHCZ, I agree with you.

Honda UK always claimed they were taking the fight to BMW and asked for this generation Accord to be compared to a 3 Series.

However, the base model Accord/TSX is pitched at a lowish price point which comfortably undercuts the entry level Audi A4, BMW 3 series, and the C Class Merc. So from that perspective, it's good value.

But if you move up to a higher model Accord/TSX, you still get the same basic (cheaper) car & build quality but with more equipment. At this level it competes with, and beats, the entry level German cars only on equipment level. The entry level Audis, BMWs and Mercs are of a higher build standard because the money has gone into the basic car rather than the additional toys.

Effectively, at any given price point, the Accord/TSX has a better specification than the German cars. But the Germans have a better standard of engineering and finish because their entry level offerings are a league higher than the Honda/Acura.

I feel that this Accord falls somewhere between a Ford and a BMW with regard to overall fit, finish and quality.

Obviously, this is just my opinion and undoubtedly there will be those who rate the Accord/TSX above an Audi/BMW or Mercedes. But having owned it for a while, I now see why the equivalent German cars cost a lot more.

That isn't to say the Accord/TSX is a bad car. But, as you said, it just isn't as good as Honda/Acura would have us believe.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Vancouver B.C.

interesting point.

Quick Reply: I am getting rid of my TSX