Honda Accord Euro Wins Wheels Car of the Year 2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Honda Accord Euro Wins Wheels Car of the Year 2008

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/wheels/s...257544001C6397

Fourteen years since its last victory, Honda has claimed Australia’s longest running and most respected motoring award – Wheels Car Of The Year – with the Accord Euro delivering an exceptional package of driver satisfaction, passenger comfort, and all-round user-friendliness.

Honda Accord Euro triumphed after a rigorous evaluation and road testing process that saw 35 eligible models culled to an initial shortlist, and then a final four.

“Dynamically, the Honda Accord Euro is outstanding,” notes Wheels editor, Ged Bulmer. “It has satisfied our exhaustive criteria better than any other contender, and the judging panel has referred to the vehicle as ‘Euro sophistication’ at just 60-percent of the price.”

WINNING THE ULTIMATE MOTORING AWARD
Australia’s original new car award was established in 1963 and recognises only the very best vehicle, meticulously identified from a diverse field of hopefuls. In some years the award has even been withheld so as to maintain its own high standards.

The judging panel tests a range of variants of the nominated model, and the cars are ultimately measured against an established and telling criteria. This criteria examines function, technology, efficiency/environment, safety, and value.

Of the 35 eligible models launched during the past year, 18 shortlisted finalists took part in the rigorous week-long testing stage. Some big names missed that shortlist, including the BMW X6, Chrysler Grand Voyager, Jeep Cherokee, Lexus LX570, and the Volvo XC70.

53 variants of the 18 shortlisted models (manual, auto versions, etc) were put through their paces at Ford’s You Yangs Proving Ground near Geelong, and later through the Macedon Ranges, north-west of Melbourne. Eventually the field was honed down to a final four – the Honda Accord Euro, Audi A4, Volkswagen Tiguan, and Mazda 6.

The testing coincided with a significant upheaval in the world automotive industry, courtesy of the global financial crisis. The fallout from this upheaval is set to shape the industry, globally and at home, for years to come.

In terms of efficiency and environmental impact - and in terms of technology - the Honda Accord Euro was found to be a ‘cut above’ when compared to other contenders in its medium-car class.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noticed that a lot of US auto reviews of the TSX saying that if it weren't supposed to be an entry lux sports sedan they'd sing its praises. It seems that if they simply call the car a Honda Accord it does much better.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Agreed. By changing it from Acura to Honda you change the competition and in that sense, it definitely is better. But up against other BMW, Infinity, Audi, etc? That's open for debate
Old 01-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When you factor in price, it's easy to see how the TSX bested it's competition.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
cool
Old 01-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
yea I find it funny how here in North America, most of the reviews on the tsx are somewhat negative. I don't know if it's because people can't get past the grille; they have to flame the entire car or what, but this goes to show that the 2nd gen tsx is a good car! There will always be haters but there's just been too much on our car.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Drifting

It doesn't help that the grille jumps out and stabs you in the eye before you even see anything else. It really does leave a foul taste in one's proverbial mouth. I could definitely see that as being a problem with a lot of people. Whoever decided this whole grille thing was a good idea should never be allowed to make another important decision again.

The car is a serious head turner with a color matched grill or from any angle where you can't see that chrome abomination. I think the back end of the car is one of the nicest looking asses on the road right now.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure the grill doesn't make them hate the electronic steering which is the single most hated aspect of the car in the eyes of auto reviewers. Several go so far as to call it a total deal breaker, but in the context of a daily commuter a good dead center feel isn't a critical or even a common feature. Maybe Acura should replace "Not an ashtray" with "Not a sports sedan you idiot, did you notice the 4 banger under the hood?"

I drove a TL-S moments before falling in love with the 09 TSX, and maybe I have no sould but I prefered the feather weight car with less precise steering to the precise car that felt more like an excersize machine than a driving one. As a side note I improved the dead center feel with stiffer tires but they weren't cheap.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cmasterchoe
Agreed. By changing it from Acura to Honda you change the competition and in that sense, it definitely is better. But up against other BMW, Infinity, Audi, etc? That's open for debate
exactly
Old 01-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by cmasterchoe
It is not the name/grill that matters to rest of the world. In US majority of Sales are V6/V8 SUVs/Trucks/ Sedans but rest of the world 95% are 4cylinder. Even SUVs/Trucks have 4cylinder TDI.
In gasoline 4cylinder Honda is highly competitive and add to that EuroAccord styling/NVH/Comfort/Japanese electronics.. It is a winner.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

I've actually come to like the TSX grille, but I still think the new TL grille is excessive and too severe looking.

As for the steering, it really does suck on the freeway. Wackura: what exactly did you do to help get a better road feel?
Old 01-24-2009, 09:54 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
I drove a TL-S moments before falling in love with the 09 TSX, and maybe I have no sould but I prefered the feather weight car with less precise steering to the precise car that felt more like an exercise machine than a driving one.
That's pretty damn funny, and true. I drove several TL-S's before deciding on the TSX.

I think the grill is an exercise in JDM styling we always say we want, but when we get it, we piss & moan about it. A more natural progression for the US market would be the Euro style grill. If we had gotten those here, many would be clamoring to buy the super-cool JDM beak style grill.

By nature we want what we don't or can't have.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Drifting

The whole grille thing that Acura is doing now is straight out of their new American design center in California. It feels to me like some douchey VP type decided Acura needs to make a bold statement to become more immediately recognizable on the street. Then in a typical douchey VP kind of way, took some one else's idea (Saturn) and changed it just enough to pretend he came up with it on his own.

I'm not saying that this is how it actually happened, but when I look at the direction they're going with design, that is the most plausible scenario that plays out in my head as to how they arrived at this misguided juncture. My only hope is that Acura sees that it's design plane is in a nosedive and pulls out of it before all that's left is smoking crater. Whoever is in charge over there needs to find a new career.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Another accolade. . . Car and Driver, Feb 09 issue "High Fives" for entry level luxury cars: (page 113)

1) BMW 3 series (always for C&D)
2) Infinity G37
3) Cadillac CTS
4) Audi A4
5) Acura TSX, which states: "It has grown and lost some charm, but it still drives beautifully and is the bargain in the class"
Old 01-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by LukeaTron
The whole grille thing that Acura is doing now is straight out of their new American design center in California. .....took some one else's idea (Saturn) and changed it just enough to pretend he came up with it on his own...
I'm not sure about this theory. The grill showed up on the Sports 4 and I think that was drawn in Japan. BUT, if you look at G3 TLs, the upper chrome piece and the center piece have been getting bigger and bigger with each generation. Fact is, they were practically touching, fusing into one 'shield' that we have now. Finally, Honda has been using a similar (to Saturn) grill for a while.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Drifting

I could have sworn some one posted an article about it. I think it was back when the current RL debuted. It was an interview with... I can't remember his name, he's the VP of American Honda and was recently put in charge of developing the Acura brand. Basically he was saying the look of the RL was "new face" of Acura and they were try assert themselves as less timid and conservative than Honda. To me that just smacks of something a business person would decide to do after looking at the results of some focus group.

Like I said, it's the narrative that plays out in my head. Despite the actual history of how it came to be, all I see is a design by committee snafu. I think that's what really matters and I'm hardly alone in thinking it's the biggest problem with the car.

A friend of mine said it best, it's about as attractive as a bag full of smashed assholes. The rest of the styling on the car, I love.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDriver
As for the steering, it really does suck on the freeway. Wackura: what exactly did you do to help get a better road feel?
I got the Goodyear "Eagle Featuring ResponsEdge Technology" tires which have stiffer carbon fiber sidewalls. The reinforcement keeps the wheels from wobbling too and from in turns and therefor the car more readily goes in the direction you point it.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Banned

The thing that keeps the grill from growing on me more after having gotten over the excessive chrome sort of is the apearance that there's a mouth on the front of the car. A black chasm right in between the headlights and beneath what apears to be a beak. Does my car go fast or eat things? What message am I trying to sent to other motorists?
Old 01-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Drifting

I'd be willing to wager that the improved tracking is more from a tire that grips better in the shoulder area of the tread than the sidewall stiffness. Stiff sidewalls will give you faster turn in response and better road feel but it's the contact patch that dictates how much traction you get. In the case of steering tacking, it's the part of the contact patch furthest away from the steering axis that has the most influence so the very inside and outside edge of the tire.