Heated Seat - A couple questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Heated Seat - A couple questions...

Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding heated seats in the TSX. It's my first car with them and I searched and found most of my answers but here are a few that I couldn't find:

1. Does anyone notice that the passenger's seat bottom doesn't get as hot as the driver's bottom? I'm aware of the backrest deal. I'm only talking about the seat bottom

2. Is it true that in order to test the seats that you must sit in them or else they wont get hot? If so, why?

3. Is the thermo switch (the thing that measures the heat on "Hi" setting and cycles the powermon/off) incorperated in the same part has the heater element itself? For example, if dealer replaces the "heating element" does the thermo switch get replaced as well or does the dealer need to order a seperate part called "Thermo switch"?

Thanks guys for your time,
Jazzy
Old 07-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Oh, the reason I ask all the above is...

I noticed the passenger seat not really working on a five day old TSX so the dealer tech road tested it with another tech and confirmed it wasnt working. Then he took the seat apart and said he tested it and said it had no continuity. On a second attempt to test it for continuity it was working but he replaced the Heater Element anyway.

After the replacement I was testing it out on "Hi" and noticed it does not get as hot as the Driver's side. It's like the thermo switch on the passenger side kicks in way earlier than Drver's side and shuts the power off too early, making it not as hot as the Driver's side. I was testing this with only myself in the car by driving around with both seats on Hi then parking and jumping on the passengers side to compare temps.

However the dealer had two techs in the car while driving around so I thought there might be something to that. Tech also mentioned that you have to sit in the car for it to work.

Thanks again,
Jazzy

Last edited by Jazzyguy; 07-28-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Probably is a safety issue, that's why someone needs to be in the seat for it to work. Really good idea, actually, for those like me who occasionally forget to turn off the seat heater switch. You don't want the thing to catch on fire, right?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Can anyone confirm this. Does the passenger heated seat not operate to full capacity or at all unless someone is sitting in it as a "safety measure"?

Or can anyone tell me if the passenger side is simply not as hot as the Driver's side by checking it? Maybe cause of the weight sensors for the side airbag.