Has anyone pulled the trigger yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:08 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone pulled the trigger yet?

Has anyone bought or received a quote on a new 2009 TSX yet?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Advanced

i test drove one yesterday, and liked it alright. but as mentioned in other threads, the dealers aren't giving me more than a couple hundred dollars off msrp. i have an appointment with a maryland dealer this morning (i live in virginia) to look at one at their dealership in the color i like, but i just don't know if i can justify msrp. the good news is the dealer in va i went to yesterday found one in va beach that is the same color, manual w/ tech that im checking out in maryland this morning. so i just be able to get them to work off each other a little bit.

the other thing is the '08 tl type s's are being offered for like 35,500, and some dealerships in this area are offering a 2.9% rate for 60 months. now that's tempting, especially when they're not coming off msrp with the tsx.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:18 AM
TSX Lover

If I decide to buy an 09 it will be a coupe months or I wil wait to early next year like I did when I bought my 04.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Instructor

It is a new car after all, and everyone's got to make a living. What is it, 1 day old now.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by PointQ
i test drove one yesterday, and liked it alright. but as mentioned in other threads, the dealers aren't giving me more than a couple hundred dollars off msrp. i have an appointment with a maryland dealer this morning (i live in virginia) to look at one at their dealership in the color i like, but i just don't know if i can justify msrp. the good news is the dealer in va i went to yesterday found one in va beach that is the same color, manual w/ tech that im checking out in maryland this morning. so i just be able to get them to work off each other a little bit.

the other thing is the '08 tl type s's are being offered for like 35,500, and some dealerships in this area are offering a 2.9% rate for 60 months. now that's tempting, especially when they're not coming off msrp with the tsx.
You can get the TL-S for even lower than that. PM me if you're interested.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Im Buying A Tl-s Tonight For Less Than The Price Of A Tsx!!!!

well maybe not less... but damn close!
Old 04-25-2008, 05:07 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to Acura again today to test drive a new TL-S.

And yeah, he quoted us about the same price as a TSX tech.
Ridiculous.

I'm going to Infinity tomorrow to try out the G35.

Gotta feeling I'm going to go with the infinity, but who knows.

Wonder why they're pusing the TL's sooooo cheap?
They must have lots of them, like way too many.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MMsTSX
About 20:1 comparing 08 TL to 09 TSX.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:18 PM
TSX Lover

Thumbs up

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42583

PointQ and one other at this point.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Instructor

So I went home tonight with the 08 TL Type S... 33,333

That is basically the price of an 09 TSX w/ Tech... I had originally wanted the TSX but couldn't justify it when compared with the deal of the Type S
Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by yisrael42
So I went home tonight with the 08 TL Type S... 33,333

That is basically the price of an 09 TSX w/ Tech... I had originally wanted the TSX but couldn't justify it when compared with the deal of the Type S
all of the TL-S come standard with everything including navi right? if it is, that's a good deal! too bad i'm too stingy now to want a new car note.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
I went to Acura again today to test drive a new TL-S.

And yeah, he quoted us about the same price as a TSX tech.
Ridiculous.

I'm going to Infinity tomorrow to try out the G35.

Gotta feeling I'm going to go with the infinity, but who knows.

They're pushing the TL because it's pretty much the oldest vehicle on the market in it's class and is due for replacement within a few months.

As for Infiniti, they make some nice vehicles. I really liked the G, but found the front seats a bit too confining (especially with the sport package). The cabin is pretty narrow on most Infnitis when compared to newer Acuras. Since you seem to like the dimensions of your 1st-gen TSX, you probably will prefer the slightly more compact dimensions. The VQ engine is a gem. Have you considered the new Maxima? It's been downsized and is now the same size as the G. It's FWD, but all the early world of mouth has been very positive. It should be at dealers in 6 weeks.

http://www.nissanusa.com/09maxima/in...mepage.Home.P2

Either way, good luck w/ your decision!
Old 04-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Advanced

Nice Going, Dick Colliver!

First, to all the major thinkers who only realized today that the 08 TL and 09 TSX were going to be sold at the same price point as opposed to six months ago, welcome to the world of Dick Colliver. Who in their right mind would buy an 09 TSX from Acura when a vastly superior car is available for less, with approximate MPG, from the same dealer? Once the 08 TL is out the picture, expect the 09 TL to come in at a higher price point, to the extent if you want to drive a decent Acura sedan, you'll have to spend upwards of 40K.

No Integra/RSX, no sporty TSX, nada! The death knell for Acura is that all those former Civic and Accord owners with sport pretensions won't be able to find a decent car in their price range, so off to Infiniti they go! Which is perfectly fine for Dick, because he's taking the Acura brand upscale and no longer needs the 'ricers'.

As we all know, the US is full of potential car buyers with 40K to spend, have never owned a Honda product and yet want to buy an Acura that looks just like an Accord in place of a BMW, Infiniti or Lexus.

Way to go, Dick!
Old 04-26-2008, 07:40 AM
TSX Lover

1st gen TSX and 3rd gen TL even more so look very dated compared to 2nd gen TSX. IMO

4th gen TL this fall may make anyone buying a TL tight now very unhappy.

It is great how some people give free advice without worrying about the consequences.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Advanced

More Free Advice

Originally Posted by prballard
1st gen TSX and 3rd gen TL even more so look very dated compared to 2nd gen TSX. IMO
You deserve to be banned for that statement, but since I laughed so hard, I'll let you slide!

As opposed to feeling unhappy now? Seriously, the 09 TL is going to cost at 6 to 8K more in six months. Buying the TL today is actually the smart financial decision.

It is great how some people give free advice without worrying about the consequences.
Oh, I get it. You must be an Acura dealer. Give my best to Dick!
Old 04-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Advanced

I would wait for the new 4th gen TL to come out too. If you are already spending >32K on a car, at least buy a new generation or something that doesnt look dated. I wouldn't settle for an old design just because its on sale.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:33 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You must be a water sign or just the sensitive type. I totally disagree with all of these statements here. I'm gonna call you on this one: I also think your post is most likely an indirect swipe at MMsTSX and/or anyone else who has taken a negative view on the 2009 TSX.

As I previously posted, this is a forum where people are free to give their opinions of said products, but now you're digging into predicting the psyche of current owners. I know owners of 2nd gen AND 3rd gen TLs who are quite happy with their cars. I'm sure you do too. I also think I'm not the only one who thinks it's inappropriate to state such. You can't possibly know that. I also do not believe it's true.

Consequences? For who? It's a message board, if you don't know to take things here with a grain of salt, then you shouldn't be here at all. If you base your purchase of anything esp something worth 30K+ solely on the opinions of people written on a forum and dont go out and research, experience and decide for yourself, then yes, you deserve to have buyers remorse, if it should occur.

Finally, I do not think the 04-08 TSX, nor the 04-08 TL look outdated now or will they in a couple years. I cant speak for the TL but I think the 1st gen TSX will stand the test of time better than the 2nd, once that Power Slicer (the element) is gone. I have a feeling we wont even have to wait for 3rd gen. It will prob happen by 2011, if not 2010.

OK, more like
Old 04-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by cg2006TSX
First, to all the major thinkers who only realized today that the 08 TL and 09 TSX were going to be sold at the same price point as opposed to six months ago, welcome to the world of Dick Colliver. Who in their right mind would buy an 09 TSX from Acura when a vastly superior car is available for less, with approximate MPG, from the same dealer? Once the 08 TL is out the picture, expect the 09 TL to come in at a higher price point, to the extent if you want to drive a decent Acura sedan, you'll have to spend upwards of 40K.

No Integra/RSX, no sporty TSX, nada! The death knell for Acura is that all those former Civic and Accord owners with sport pretensions won't be able to find a decent car in their price range, so off to Infiniti they go! Which is perfectly fine for Dick, because he's taking the Acura brand upscale and no longer needs the 'ricers'.

As we all know, the US is full of potential car buyers with 40K to spend, have never owned a Honda product and yet want to buy an Acura that looks just like an Accord in place of a BMW, Infiniti or Lexus.

Way to go, Dick!
see my thread in the off topic section in car talk, it relates totally to Dick and John.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Advanced

Good Point, Here's Another

Originally Posted by ReWritable
I would wait for the new 4th gen TL to come out too. If you are already spending >32K on a car, at least buy a new generation or something that doesnt look dated. I wouldn't settle for an old design just because its on sale.
Agreed. Then again, I wouldn't buy a dog just because it's new. Although I'm not sure how I'm going to make do without XM with Weather.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Advanced

Agreed. Then again, I wouldn't buy a dog just because it's new. Although I'm not sure how I'm going to make do without XM with Weather.
How do you know, have you seen/driven the 09 TL? Besides looks are very subjective. If you are happy with your car thats fine, congratulations. I owned a TSX for 2 years and to be honest, got tired of it due to the lack of torque. Loved the 3/4 rear panel view; too narrow and tall, though. Then again, I wouldn't spend 32K on a car just because it's on sale. 32K is not pocket change.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Advanced

alright, lemme put my 2 cents in since im one of the "idiots" that went ahead and blew msrp for the tsx. so far im lovin it. the styling is sweet in my opinion, and im coming off a 98 civic lx 1.4L with barely over 100hp. so the tsx is damn quick to me. my budget was 32-33k, period. there are other cars that i could pay that for, but not with the same features, not with the acura/honda reliability history, not with the brand new styling (that i like, anyway) of a new model. if the type s is discounted down, its still higher that my tsx price (agreed, not by much), and as i said before, my budget was 32-33k. period. not higher, especially when im completely satisfied with what i got.

everyone's situation is different. to some it may make more sense than to others. case closed.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
alright, lemme put my 2 cents in since im one of the "idiots" that went ahead and blew msrp for the tsx. so far im lovin it. the styling is sweet in my opinion, and im coming off a 98 civic lx 1.4L with barely over 100hp. so the tsx is damn quick to me. my budget was 32-33k, period. there are other cars that i could pay that for, but not with the same features, not with the acura/honda reliability history, not with the brand new styling (that i like, anyway) of a new model. if the type s is discounted down, its still higher that my tsx price (agreed, not by much), and as i said before, my budget was 32-33k. period. not higher, especially when im completely satisfied with what i got.

everyone's situation is different. to some it may make more sense than to others. case closed.
Congrats on your new car. Enjoy it!
Old 04-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
First, to all the major thinkers who only realized today that the 08 TL and 09 TSX were going to be sold at the same price point as opposed to six months ago, welcome to the world of Dick Colliver. Who in their right mind would buy an 09 TSX from Acura when a vastly superior car is available for less, with approximate MPG, from the same dealer?
Sorry I gotta call you on this one. People said the same thing in 2003. "why would you buy a 4 cylinder TSX for the same price as a 2003 TL? In the end, people bought both cars for different reasons and Acura captured customers both ways. It is a part of the plan, and you are living proof of the concept,
Old 04-26-2008, 02:19 PM
TSX Lover

As most of you know and as I have said here many times I am a long time Acura owner (since 92). I am a structural engineer. I wouldn't sell cars if you paid me $250K a year. No offense to Colin and other great guys out ther, but it is just not me.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. Just saying if somebody talks someone out of buying an 09 TSX (or for that mater 09 TL even before it comes out) then you may have to live with the consequences when that person has buyer regret as they see the styling of their vehicle become more and more dated.

I don't give a rat's ass if anyone here likes the styling of the 09 TSX. I do, I am going to buy one.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Advanced

Called on what?

Originally Posted by Colin
Sorry I gotta call you on this one. People said the same thing in 2003. "why would you buy a 4 cylinder TSX for the same price as a 2003 TL? In the end, people bought both cars for different reasons and Acura captured customers both ways. It is a part of the plan, and you are living proof of the concept,
The 2004 - 2008 was a great car for its time, the 2009 TSX is not. Furthermore, if I was buying in that window, I more than likely would have pulled the trigger for the TL in place of the TSX.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Advanced

Design? How about the 'car'?

Originally Posted by ReWritable
The 2008 TL is a great buy at that price point, and unlike the 2009 TSX, is a great car period. The bottom line is simply drive both cars back to back and tell me which car is giving you more bang for the buck, which car is less likely to suffer from first year gremlins, which car is more likely to retain its value given the 2010 TSX will offer a diesel.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Advanced

Bully for the TSX!

As most of you know and as I have said here many times I am a long time Acura owner (since 92). I am a structural engineer. I wouldn't sell cars if you paid me $250K a year. No offense to Colin and other great guys out ther, but it is just not me.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. Just saying if somebody talks someone out of buying an 09 TSX (or for that mater 09 TL even before it comes out) then you may have to live with the consequences when that person has buyer regret as they see the styling of their vehicle become more and more dated.

I don't give a rat's ass if anyone here likes the styling of the 09 TSX. I do, I am going to buy one.
No offense taken, it's your dollar, spend it as you like. My advice can be taken or ignored, or better yet, considered after a back to back test drive, 08 TL or vs. 09 TSX. IMHO the TL is a great design, while the 09 TSX is terrible design, and unfortunately, most of the press agree while enthusiasts have been even less kind. Also, don't forget to add that the 09 TSX will depreciate much faster than most first year models simply because Acura intends to release a diesel in 12 to 18 months, effectively giving the finger to 09 TSX buyers. Lastly, I'm being kind. To be truthful, why someone would buy any Acura in 2008 is beyond me, when there are much better cars offered by Audi, BMW, Infiniti and Lexus at similar prices points.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Advanced

Not Two Cents, More Like $32,000

While everyone's situation may be different, logic and reason still applies. That said, if you're satisfied, that's all the matters. Congrats and enjoy the ride!
Old 04-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Moderator

cg2006TSX, you need to chill out. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion here, and just because you think the 09 TSX "isn't a great car for its time" doesn't mean that it isn't to someone else. Everyone has different priorities (i.e. may not want a V6 engine, etc.), and the design is very subjective to each person. There's no need to attack someone just because they like the 09 design and prefer to spend money on it rather than an 08 TL. Relax.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Advanced

What 'personal' attack?

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
cg2006TSX, you need to chill out. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion here, and just because you think the 09 TSX "isn't a great car for its time" doesn't mean that it isn't to someone else. Everyone has different priorities (i.e. may not want a V6 engine, etc.), and the design is very subjective to each person. There's no need to attack someone just because they like the 09 design and prefer to spend money on it rather than an 08 TL. Relax.
LuvMyTSX, perhaps you can point out the 'personal' attack to my attention, because quite honestly, I don't believe I have attacked anyone 'personally'. Please re-read my posts, and if I've posted anything close to a 'personal' attack, I'll be sure to apologize. But if you have an issue with how I phrase my comments against the present direction of Acura or the 09 TSX, that is another story entirely. Quite frankly, if your comment for me to 'chill out' is simply due to the fact you disagree with my opinions regarding Acura, I'm the one who suggest that you re-consider your role as a moderator. I never attack anyone 'personally' nor do I use inappropriate language, I'm simply stating my opinion about a car.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Senior Moderator

LuvMyTSX, perhaps you can point out the 'personal' attack to my attention, because quite honestly, I don't believe I have attacked anyone 'personally'. Please re-read my posts, and if I've posted anything close to a 'personal' attack, I'll be sure to apologize. But if you have an issue with how I phrase my comments against the present direction of Acura or the 09 TSX, that is another story entirely. Quite frankly, if your comment for me to 'chill out' is simply due to the fact you disagree with my opinions regarding Acura, I'm the one who suggest that you re-consider your role as a moderator. I never attack anyone 'personally' nor do I use inappropriate language, I'm simply stating my opinion about a car.
Your tone is simply unnecessary. I never said you personally attacked someone, but that you are attacking people's comments and opinions in a manner that is not necessary. Your comment about my role is also crossing the line. Like I said, relax.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
The 2004 - 2008 was a great car for its time, the 2009 TSX is not. Furthermore, if I was buying in that window, I more than likely would have pulled the trigger for the TL in place of the TSX.
BTW, my comment about "you are living proof of the concept" was directed at the fact that you had an upgrade choice and went with a TL. It was not a slight, but rather an acknowledgement that you were faced with two cars that were similarly priced but with different values to different customers.

The post you were replying to suggested that Collivers (Acura's) strategy was flawed, and I think its going exactly as planned.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:57 PM
TSX Lover

To be truthful, why someone would buy any Acura in 2008 is beyond me, when there are much better cars offered by Audi, BMW, Infiniti and Lexus at similar prices points.

If you believe that why even bother posting on acurazine's forums?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Race Director

If you believe that why even bother posting on acurazine's forums?
because he has/had a 2006 TSX that is CG.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Advanced

A similarly equipped BMW 328 is about $42K, IS250 $38K same about the other brands fully equipped are much more expensive.

I wouldn't DOA'd the new 09 TSX at all. There will always be a market for a car like the TSX because there will always be people moving up, just like the current TSX owners did before. Considering the content value, Honda reliability, fuel efficiency and weak dollar -this car is made in Japan- i think its a STEAL at that price. Just my
Old 04-27-2008, 01:48 AM
Race Director

yes i agree and i said the same thing back in 2003, you get a lot of value and stuff for the money in the TSX, both 1st and 2nd gen.