Had a Bulb Go Out at 8K Miles...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Had a Bulb Go Out at 8K Miles...

I'm pretty sure that bulbs aren't covered under warranty, but to have one go out on a car with under 10K miles? It's the rear passenger blinker...not one that you can exactly live without. It's just a bit frustrating...
Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
actually it SHOULD be under warranty no?
The following users liked this post:
Anonymous99 (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 12:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
it IS under warranty. 4 years/50K miles. foglight or headlight or tail light bulb. or whatever bulb. its all covered
The following 2 users liked this post by PyroDave:
Anonymous99 (01-12-2012), musty hustla (01-13-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
I understand your frustration but...it's a bulb. you replace them (in pairs).... not sure what the big deal is?
The following 3 users liked this post by ressling:
Anonymous99 (01-13-2012), HeavyDuty (01-12-2012), TSXKid2010 (01-14-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Intermediate

Interesting. I had a chat with a sales representative at a dealership and he told me it was a wear and tear issue and therefore wasn't covered under warranty. I just contacted the service department and they said that it is covered under warranty. I'll go with the second opinion since it seems to match the opinions here

The frustration is just that...frustration. I've never changed a bulb before but know that it would run around $50 at the dealership. I can either invest the time necessary to learn how to change the bulb or pay the fee...neither of which I particularly want to do. I also was not expecting a bulb to go out so soon...I have a 2003 RSX that still hasn't had a bulb go out, so it mostly just seemed defective as opposed to just going out. If nothing else, this thread has led me to believe that the issue is at least covered under warranty, so as useless as this thread may have been to you, it's been very useful to me!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:02 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
If you're not familiar, inclined or interested in learning about your car, it's all good.

But...the owners manual shows you how to change them, it's a very, very quick install.
Anonymous99 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 10:27 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
It is a ridiculously easy fix. You will probably spend more time and gas going to the dealership then you would to buy replacement bulbs and do it yourself. Have you ever changed a light bulb? It's basically the same exact thing.
Anonymous99 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Safety Car

Hell if your between NYC and Philly, I'll do it for ya!!
Anonymous99 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 12:07 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

^rapist alert!!
Old 01-12-2012, 12:35 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

^ +10000
Old 01-12-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
not everything is perfect, there is a flaw in every car made.

your lucky to just have a bulb go out vs an entire system shutting down.

like my fuse box for my 4g tl, one day, it just stopped working..
Anonymous99 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 AM
Intermediate

HeavyDuty, I had no idea it was in the manual. I've wasted hours searching for videos online (mostly just procrastinated doing other stuff...) for how to change the bulb. I remember looking through the manual when I purchased the car, but I guess I didn't look through the section on how to change bulbs then...

Mrstak, you're absolutely right. I would end up spending more time and fuel to have the dealership do it. For someone like me who doesn't know much about cars in general, $50 seemed like a reasonable price for changing a bulb that isn't immediately accessible. But, seeing that it is in the manual, I'm going to go ahead and change it myself.

PyroDave, thanks for the offer, but I'm on the Southern coast of the country!

Potmilkz, you're right. I'm very thankful that this is the only problem I've had with my car. I think it's human nature for us to take issue with any flaws with something that we try to take tons of care of and that we consider new to us.

With everyone's help and input here, I'm going to go ahead and just change the bulb myself in the morning. Had I known that changing a car's bulb was just a tad bit more difficult than changing a normal bulb, I wouldn't have even bothered you guys with it all!

Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 AM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Get a good nights sleep! Big job ahead of you tomorrow, changing a turn signal bulb!
Anonymous99 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 AM
Safety Car

if im really bored tomorrow, and you still havent done it, i'll take pictures and post a DIY of me replacing the bulb, with the same bulb ;D

PS: I AM A RAPIST
Anonymous99 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Intermediate

Just removed the bulb guys! Not gonna lie...it's really tight in there with all those wires and my huge hands.

How much should I expect to spend on the bulb to make sure I'm not getting hustled?

Also, it's my understanding that you shouldn't touch the bulb when you put it in? It's already really tight in there...does anyone have any tips for doing this other than using gloves?

Also, I take it that there's no problem for me to drive with the bulb out of that socket right now, is there?

You guys laugh, but for someone who's never changed a car bulb before, this is a huge accomplishment!
ed_423 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Anonymous99
Just removed the bulb guys! Not gonna lie...it's really tight in there with all those wires and my huge hands.

How much should I expect to spend on the bulb to make sure I'm not getting hustled?

Also, it's my understanding that you shouldn't touch the bulb when you put it in? It's already really tight in there...does anyone have any tips for doing this other than using gloves?

Also, I take it that there's no problem for me to drive with the bulb out of that socket right now, is there?

You guys laugh, but for someone who's never changed a car bulb before, this is a huge accomplishment!
you're the next Chip Foose!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Developer & Car Fan

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Use latex or "medical" gloves with no aloe or solvent in them. The only issue with driving would be getting a ticket but i'm sure you'll be fine.

Lastly, don't listen to the jokers some people are joking on this forum others are too busy saying how easy everything is without touching their car. Or worse not even owning a car. (not said to any one person!).

Matt
Anonymous99 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 11:42 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Originally Posted by PyroDave
if im really bored tomorrow, and you still havent done it, i'll take pictures and post a DIY of me replacing the bulb, with the same bulb ;D

PS: I AM A RAPIST
LOL i dont think anyone caught that

other than me of course ;D
Old 01-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

dude no offense but if you're too lazy to research how to change a bulb, then you deserve to get charged $50 by the stealership...
Old 01-13-2012, 12:40 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

lol in all honesty, a majority of people will not change a bulb in their car by themselves. either due to laziness, or that they think a car is something totally different and if they touch something they will screw things up.

but of course, as car enthusiasts, changing a light bulb is like changing your shirt.
Anonymous99 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

DONE!

$6.99 plus tax for two bulbs. The guy also sold me some dielectric grease which I didn't need for an extra $1.29.

Turns out that you also don't need to wear gloves for these, but you do for halogen bulbs. I wore gloves anyway, just in case.

Also, for those out there like me, when putting the socket back in place, it's easier to look where you're putting the socket by looking into the light bay from outside the car and watching your fingers instead of trying to feel your way back to lock it in place. Now I'm really curious as to why a dealer would charge $50 to do this...I should charge that much and change light bulbs all day!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:07 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Originally Posted by mkeefe
Use latex or "medical" gloves with no aloe or solvent in them. The only issue with driving would be getting a ticket but i'm sure you'll be fine.

Lastly, don't listen to the jokers some people are joking on this forum others are too busy saying how easy everything is without touching their car. Or worse not even owning a car. (not said to any one person!).

Matt
Cannot tell if this is directed at me...boo...

lolol
Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Intermediate

mkeefe, thanks for your advice! As much as I'm not a fan of the jokers, I'm trying to take it in stride. For people who regularly mod their cars, I can understand how something as trivial as changing a light bulb is a joking matter for them. I'm not afraid to admit that I don't know much about how cars work, but we all have to start somewhere and I would rather ask questions now than make mistakes when actually working.

ressling, I can guarantee that you've overpaid for some work you've had done in the past (maybe not for your car, but maybe in terms of plumbing, home repairs, etc.) and don't know it. I never said it was a HUGE DEAL to change a bulb, but as I did it for the first time, I believe I'm entitled to some leeway and understanding. You weren't born knowing how to change a car bulb and you either asked someone else in the past, researched it and looked it up, or somehow or another probably spent more time changing your first car bulb than you have changing the many car bulbs you've probably changed since then. I bet you also believe that old people deserve to be ripped off by Best Buy and told that they need Monster HDMI cables because they were too lazy, ignorant, or unknowing to research and know they were being ripped off.

ed_423, I fix tons of computers and I feel the same way about them. There's no magic, "break my computer" button and there's nothing wrong with playing around them and learning as you go. However, there is a magic reset of computers (reformatting) while there isn't for cars...if I accidentally cut the brake line trying to learn something about my car, I'm screwed and possibly even dead. You have to understand that it's much riskier for the average Joe to mess around his car than it is for him to screw just about anything else up.

Anyways, thank you all for the advice, laughs, and at times, condescension for helping me get through my mini-crisis.

Last edited by Anonymous99; 01-13-2012 at 01:22 PM.
ed_423 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

mkeefe, thanks for your advice! As much as I'm not a fan of the jokers, I'm trying to take it in stride. For people who regularly mod their cars, I can understand how something as trivial as changing a light bulb is a joking matter for them. I'm not afraid to admit that I don't know much about how cars work, but we all have to start somewhere and I would rather ask questions now than make mistakes when actually working.

ressling, I can guarantee that you've overpaid for some work you've had done in the past (maybe not for your car, but maybe in terms of plumbing, home repairs, etc.) and don't know it. I never said it was a HUGE DEAL to change a bulb, but as I did it for the first time, I believe I'm entitled to some leeway and understanding. You weren't born knowing how to change a car bulb and you either asked someone else in the past, researched it and looked it up, or somehow or another probably spent more time changing your first car bulb than you have changing the many car bulbs you've probably changed since then. I bet you also believe that old people deserve to be ripped off by Best Buy and told that they need Monster HDMI cables because they were too lazy, ignorant, or unknowing to research and know they were being ripped off.

ed_423, I fix tons of computers and I feel the same way about them. There's no magic, "break my computer" button and there's nothing wrong with playing around them and learning as you go. However, there is a magic reset of computers (reformatting) while there isn't for cars...if I accidentally cut the brake line trying to learn something about my car, I'm screwed and possibly even dead. You have to understand that it's much riskier for the average Joe to mess around his car than it is for him to screw just about anything else up.

Anyways, thank you all for the advice, laughs, and at times, condescension for helping me get through my mini-crisis.
LOL very true. Should tell that to my parents

And I understand I wasn't flaming you or anything. Before I got into cars I didn't even know what all the functions in the car are
Anonymous99 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 01:35 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
It is very easy to make fun of people who don't know how to do things that we are trained at.

I, for one, have no issues working on the electrical system in my house but I won't touch the plumbing even though the is probably less complex and certain;y less lethal. That is probably because I have hands on experience for many years with all things electronic and little experience with plumbing.

While the OP's question obviously brought a smile to many people, we have to realize that all things automotive are intimidating to many people - one reason why dealerships make so much money in their service department.

The first time you do anything is a very confusing time, give the OP a break and think back to the first time you tried a new project.
Anonymous99 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 01:38 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

that's what we're here for. don't take too much of our shit seriously...we joke around a lot...probably more than we're serious. it's all in good fun.
Anonymous99 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 PM

DONE!
Now I'm really curious as to why a dealer would charge $50 to do this...I should charge that much and change light bulbs all day!
It appears counterintuitive, but this is the deal.

Technicians are paid flat rate, meaning unless they bill a half hour or an hours worth of time, they don't get paid a dime. So, SWAG, their labor rate is $100, the service advisor quickly quotes you .5 m/hr to replace a bulb, because the tech isn't going to spend a second on it if he's not being paid. There *usually* isn't smaller blocks of time available, unless it's a larger job, then they're "allowed" .1-.9 m/hrs for certain functions.

The end result? They want you to go away. Not because they don't like you, but they're not going to do it for nothing.

Oh, and Anonymous, take the smart azz comments from me or anyone else with a grain of salt. Most of it is good natured fun, the rest which is mean spirited you just ignore.

Last edited by HeavyDuty; 01-13-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Anonymous99 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

It's all a matter of what you're comfortable with. Of course we're going to flame you given ample opportunity...

Perfect example is swapping out the headlights on my '01 Prelude. I was able to do it, but not without mistakenly rupturing my freon line for my A/C. Cost me $140 at the dealership to fix, even though I tried recharging it myself at home first (to no avail).

Taking things in stride is good. You'll need thick skin around here, or any auto enthusiast board for that matter. Try to learn how to fix/tinker with your car yourself first before even considering the dealership. It will take time no doubt, but with practice you will get better. The only reason why I somewhat know about stuff on cars is because I took the time to research online and tinker; that and I've only owned Japanese cars, which I argue are pretty easy to work with.

Again, comfort zones, just like fixing up your house. Whereas I'm ok with swapping out headlights, taillights, cosmetic mods, I'm less experienced and not as willing to do electrical and mechanical mods.
Anonymous99 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

The frustration is just that...frustration. I've never changed a bulb before but know that it would run around $50 at the dealership. I can either invest the time necessary to learn how to change the bulb or pay the fee...neither of which I particularly want to do. I also was not expecting a bulb to go out so soon...I have a 2003 RSX that still hasn't had a bulb go out, so it mostly just seemed defective as opposed to just going out. If nothing else, this thread has led me to believe that the issue is at least covered under warranty, so as useless as this thread may have been to you, it's been very useful to me!
Be thankful you didn't buy an Audi or BMW, between the time you drive it off the lot and get it home you'd have had at least one light out...

Cool to know that bulbs are covered under warranty though.
Anonymous99 (01-15-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 12:17 AM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by tobey457
Be thankful you didn't buy an Audi or BMW, between the time you drive it off the lot and get it home you'd have had at least one light out...

Cool to know that bulbs are covered under warranty though.
What bullshit. I am sorry but HAVE YOU ever owned a German car or are you basing your statement on the many "stories" you see floating around?

OP- Good job on getting it done. And its very important like you said to see if the bulb lines up from the outside because I was forcing it in and the bulb fell INSIDE the taillight.....2 hours later the bulb was finally out.
Anonymous99 (01-15-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
I am sorry but HAVE YOU ever owned a German car or are you basing your statement on the many "stories" you see floating around?

I had an 02 330ci and the dash was so pretty. By the time it was three years old, every colour in the rainbow was illuminated for my driving enjoyment.

When you turned the radio knob down, the volume went up.

A thunderclap would open the sunroof. It was awesome.

How's that for a story? = )

/off topic hijack, scuse me

Last edited by HeavyDuty; 01-14-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

^ yup I had an '06 330i and was actually locked out of my car due to electrical issues. My wife had an '08 535i and the halo went out after a year, among other issues she had. It was always in the shop...
Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Sorry to hijack OP, but Ressling and Heavy Duty I wanna know something. I'd love to have the current gen A4 (love it), BUT (1) it's to expensive, (B) spotty reliability at best, and (Tomato) they're not mechanical friendly (I dont want to run to the dealer for EVERYTHING).

I'm starting to think Euro cars are made with inferior components i.e. wiring, electronics, plastics, etc. I hear a lot about BMW using those plastic gears that break etc. If I pay good money for BMW/Audi I expect the LED running lights or corona rings to last at least 100K miles. Japanese manufacturers have always pushed reliability up to the next level which makes me comfortable owning anything Japanese related. Might of fact all i've ever owned were Japanese brands. Would you guys ever go back to german or anything euro? BTW Ressling does your wife still have the 5-series?
Old 01-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Burning Brakes

no she traded it for an '08 Camry Hybrid

and yes, Japanese cars are very friendly to work with IMO...
Old 01-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

OP- Good job on getting it done. And its very important like you said to see if the bulb lines up from the outside because I was forcing it in and the bulb fell INSIDE the taillight.....2 hours later the bulb was finally out.
That's definitely some information I wish I would have had before I started...but at the same time, I would have probably not changed the bulb then...hmm...

Also, I don't mind you guys thread-jacking! My work is DONE!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:52 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Sorry to hijack OP, but Ressling and Heavy Duty I wanna know something. I'd love to have the current gen A4 (love it), BUT (1) it's to expensive, (B) spotty reliability at best, and (Tomato) they're not mechanical friendly (I dont want to run to the dealer for EVERYTHING).

I'm starting to think Euro cars are made with inferior components i.e. wiring, electronics, plastics, etc. I hear a lot about BMW using those plastic gears that break etc. If I pay good money for BMW/Audi I expect the LED running lights or corona rings to last at least 100K miles. Japanese manufacturers have always pushed reliability up to the next level which makes me comfortable owning anything Japanese related. Might of fact all i've ever owned were Japanese brands. Would you guys ever go back to german or anything euro? BTW Ressling does your wife still have the 5-series?
I've driven A6s, S6s and now a 335 along with a few VWs (all new) in the last 12 years.

European cars are bleeding edge technology. They have the latest and greatest of everything but unfortunately that comes with huge reliability issues.

I don't think that I'll ever own another European car outside of Europe where the techs actually understand the product.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:31 AM

I have a friend with a 10 or 11 A4, 2.0t, 6MT Quattro Nav wht/blk, had to order it. He came from a long line of H/A, said he'll never do it again.

Another friend has (no joke) 911 base, X5, M3 & an E55 all at the same time. Once I asked him why so many. He just gave be a facitious serious face...then said "They're German cars, 2 or 3 are always in the shop at one time." This is coming from a guy named Wolfgang, if that tells you anything.

I have no interest in having another, except for maybe the 02 or 03 little ugly M hatch thing, just because it's butt ugly.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
What bullshit. I am sorry but HAVE YOU ever owned a German car or are you basing your statement on the many "stories" you see floating around?

Never owned one... just worked as an Audi tech for 14 years, and my nephew is now a VW tech. But please, by all means, educate me on your ownership experience.

There's a reason I chose an Acura...

Last edited by tobey457; 01-18-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
oh come on guys..

its a god damn bulb.

i mean my little brother can do this, and he doesn't even drive.

how straight forward can it get, you take apart what is blocking it, pull the bulb out of socket, and do everything back in reverse.

Originally Posted by ressling
dude no offense but if you're too lazy to research how to change a bulb, then you deserve to get charged $50 by the stealership...
i completely agree with this guy..

you do not need a manual to tell you how to change a bulb.

i mean, honestly.. do you need to read the manual to learn how to text on your brand new phone? no right? You go looking through it, figure it out as you go.

its not rocket science guys.. its more common sense than you really think.

i can honestly tell you, if you can put on a spare wheel, you can change a bulb.

you cannot know one and not the other.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:27 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by potmilkz
oh come on guys..

its a god damn bulb.

i mean my little brother can do this, and he doesn't even drive.

how straight forward can it get, you take apart what is blocking it, pull the bulb out of socket, and do everything back in reverse.

i completely agree with this guy..

you do not need a manual to tell you how to change a bulb.

i mean, honestly.. do you need to read the manual to learn how to text on your brand new phone? no right? You go looking through it, figure it out as you go.

its not rocket science guys.. its more common sense than you really think.

i can honestly tell you, if you can put on a spare wheel, you can change a bulb.

you cannot know one and not the other.
It is so easy to say "you should know how to do that" but the reality is that everyone has to learn one way or another.

Just because some bulbs are easy to change doesn't mean they all are. There is a long discussion over on a Mercedes board about how hard it is to change a driver's side bulb - it seems you need to take off the wheel well liner, remove some brackets and hoses and have really skinny hands.

I would bet that there are several things that you don't know how to do that the OP can do in his sleep.
Anonymous99 (01-23-2012)