First Impressions of my 2010 TSX compared to my 2001 CL-S.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:39 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First Impressions of my 2010 TSX compared to my 2001 CL-S.

300 miles on the car and I REALLY like it ..ALOT...
I though the power would be a problem but from a stop or slow roll it gets going pretty quick, of course the CL-S was quicker but not as big difference as I first thought it would be.. The Cabin does seem more roomier them my CL and I like how the non tech is laid out. The seats are comfortable but anyone who sat in a CL-S know that the seats in the CL-S where unbelivable, best seats I ever sat in! Brakes are good, BETTER then the stock CL brakes BUT i need some time to see if they are prone to warping like the CL-S brakes where... The handling is better then the CL-S in stock form, you can throw the TSX around the turns better then the CL-S, the CL seem to plow through turns untill I redid the whole suspention (B&G shocks/struts and Progress RSB), so stock vs stock the TSX handles better.. I love all the new toys (the XM radio, I just hope when my 3 months is up that I can get Mr. stern on there then it would be great) I had sirus hooked up in my CL but it was VERY staticy cuz I had to find a FM station that worked well and NONE where perfect always was some static.. I love the bluetooth, u just get in the car and go, after hooking it up once you dont have to do anythiong else, love it..Just have to learn to save names so I dont have to diget dial everytime... I have not tried the CD player yet (the one in my CL was jammed, I only was able to get 3 of the 6 cds out) BUT who needs a CD player when you can just put all your songs on a USB drive.. I bought a 2GB USB drive filled it up and now have 500 songs that sound BETTER then CD quality.. The stock system it BETTER the the CL i dont wanna say ALOT but it IS better and louder and clearer... Bottom line is I love the car...
What do I miss in the cL.. If anything ..Maybee the seats but I an falling for this car.. IT IS the best looking car in the ACURA lineup, ALOT better looking then the TL... I REALLY LOVE THE LOOK, the grill actully looks perfect size for the TSX , its not underdone or overdone, It is PERRFECT... and I have 2 more doore, getting married and planning on kids so those 2 extra doors will come in handy.. Anouther thing I noticed on the 1st gen TSX and 2 gen TSX when closing the doors they seem FLimsy compared to the CL, almost cheap.. The CL doors when closing them felt sturdy and heavy but the TSX feel well, Hollow..would be the best word to decrib it.. ANyone notice that?
It is a lease so I did not wanna go crazy with upgrading it but if the TAKADA (SP) CAI does add 15HP liek people say then it my be worth it , I can just take it off and sell it when the lease is up... Other then that I will PROB leave it stock...
Questions and comment welcome, expecially your thoughts on the CAI if u have it!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Great review man. Its really nice to know that you are enjoying the car and appreciating it for all it has. Did you get the MT or AT?
Old 12-04-2009, 02:40 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
I WISH I got the 6 speed, but my fiancee said that I would make here sick with the 6 speed (even though she has not drove stick w/me in years) and she tried to learn stick and had a really bad expierence!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Vancouver B.C.

I havent tried the A/T TSX but if its anything similar to my parents 2 past MDX's and 09TL, then it must be pretty decent. Only thing I wish is for the shifts to happen a bit quicker when driving in sport mode. As for the intake, it does not add 15 horsepower. Er, it might but it sure doesnt feel like 15 in my car. It really helped with the throttle lag and gave it that extra umph when accelerating, but nothing different about this intake than most other intakes with this typical design. You really going to keep the car stock? can you resist? haha
Old 12-04-2009, 05:16 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by ttk5
I havent tried the A/T TSX but if its anything similar to my parents 2 past MDX's and 09TL, then it must be pretty decent. Only thing I wish is for the shifts to happen a bit quicker when driving in sport mode. As for the intake, it does not add 15 horsepower. Er, it might but it sure doesnt feel like 15 in my car. It really helped with the throttle lag and gave it that extra umph when accelerating, but nothing different about this intake than most other intakes with this typical design. You really going to keep the car stock? can you resist? haha
I HAVE to resist it is a lease with 65% residual and there in NO way I am going to buy it out for $20K when I am done with it in 30 MOnths..
I would love to drop it a inch throw some 18's on there a thicker RSB, BUT CAN'T... Please don't temp me!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:59 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Oh, you can bet your a$$ the brakes are going to warp, and quickly. I don't drive like a d!ck, and mine have been fecked for 15k miles.

The CL doors had to be heavier, so with the same closing effort, you're probably slamming the TSX door. My TSX doors have an auto-close feature, it's like, you sit down and fuh-fump, they close.

You'll be fine with the rear facing baby seats for a while. Plenty of room for strollers in the trunk. The best part about kids is...making them. Once you get past the first projectile vomit in the leather and a perma-mark on the leather from the baby seats, oh yeah, and the cheerios and sour milk smell that you just can't pinpoint. Ahhh, family life. Muhahahahhahaha! I'm so happy for you...misery loves company.

I'd eat an Egg McMagnum before I *ever* had to buy *one more* pack of Huggies.

Um, scuse me, uh, glad you are liking the car. J/K about the kid thing, I have a 12yo daughter and 9 yo twins that have been with me exclusively since 2/2004.

When you move to front facing seats, you're going to need an MDX or RL, unless you and your wife are pygmies.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:31 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Congrats!
Old 12-05-2009, 03:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty

The CL doors had to be heavier, so with the same closing effort, you're probably slamming the TSX door. My TSX doors have an auto-close feature, it's like, you sit down and fuh-fump, they close.

Whats this Auto-close feature that u speak of?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
congrats. nice review
Old 12-05-2009, 08:24 PM
B A N N E D

I just had to drive 50 miles from ramsey NJ to new brunswick NJ in this nasy weather.. Thing hanles GREAT in the slush , snow.. The traction control did not kick on once.. Thing handle pretty dam good in the slushy weather... Better then the CL, the cl seemd to plw strait in the snow when u tried turning where this TSX turns.. Im impressed!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_Acura

Whats this Auto-close feature that u speak of?
I'm worse than a chatty cathy doll these days, I can't get online at work anymore.

Haven't you noticed that if you don't open your door all the way that when you sit down it slowly closes by itself?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Vancouver B.C.

im not ever gonna get kids anymore...thanks heavy duty. lol
Old 12-08-2009, 12:18 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by ttk5
im not ever gonna get kids anymore...thanks heavy duty. lol

I don't think you "get" kids I belive you have kids, well not you but your wife of female companion.. And the most fun part about it all is trying to have them..
Old 12-09-2009, 10:37 AM

I found out about the twins when I got a faxed sonogram with an "A" and a "B" on it.

I'm looking forward to getting spayed...neutered? Wait! Snipped. I'll still be HD...smooth, not chunky.

So anyway, still enjoying the car, Stoney?
Old 12-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Vancouver B.C.

haha
Old 12-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perfect review.
My wife and I also own a 01 CL-S (213,000 + miles)
She needed to get a new car for her commute.I agree the 01's seats are the best in the industry! But the 2010's are not bad.
Took my wife almost 7-8000 miles to get used to the new TSX but is now very happy with it.
Never had problems in the winter with the 01. Just mounted 4 snows on 16 inch RL wheels. Now using the same tire and wheels on the TSX.
I also was expecting her to notice the loss in power, (V-6 - 4cly).
But it is not that bad.
We looked at the V-6 TSX but could not justify the price. ( might as well get a TL)
Except the TL is butt ass ugly!
Handling is better than the CL-S on turn in, does now tend to understeer as much.
Ride is firm but takes bumps very well.
Great gas millage, (30.5mpg) overall.
Lots more room than the Cl.
Hopefully it is a good a car as the CL.
Time will tell.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:23 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by RKeatF1
Perfect review.
My wife and I also own a 01 CL-S (213,000 + miles)
She needed to get a new car for her commute.I agree the 01's seats are the best in the industry! But the 2010's are not bad.
Took my wife almost 7-8000 miles to get used to the new TSX but is now very happy with it.
Never had problems in the winter with the 01. Just mounted 4 snows on 16 inch RL wheels. Now using the same tire and wheels on the TSX.
I also was expecting her to notice the loss in power, (V-6 - 4cly).
But it is not that bad.
We looked at the V-6 TSX but could not justify the price. ( might as well get a TL)
Except the TL is butt ass ugly!
Handling is better than the CL-S on turn in, does now tend to understeer as much.
Ride is firm but takes bumps very well.
Great gas millage, (30.5mpg) overall.
Lots more room than the Cl.
Hopefully it is a good a car as the CL.
Time will tell.
I am glad to hear you had good luck with your CL , BUT me all i had was problems, it was on its 4th tranny when I sold it, coil packs kept going bad and misfiring, SO i can't see that the TSX is nearly as bad as the CL was.
The CL was built in the states while the TSX is built in japan.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question, how do you get better than CD quality.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:16 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by psteng19
Question, how do you get better than CD quality.
Buy putting the songs on USB drive .. not CD.. If the quaility of the recording is 128KBS (whatever) it is then CD quality, if its more the 128 then it is better. Honestly the songs off USB sound better then CD..

The one thing that sucks about the car compared to the CL is the feel of the steering.. The electronic steering feels well.. lifeless and too easy not enough feedback.. The CL was hydrolic and the feel was alot better...
The car is GREAT in the snow.. I think better then the CL but I know alot depends on the tires.. but this car was great on wensday in North jersey ..

<-- why don't my flicker pics work?
Old 02-13-2010, 03:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by StonedCL
The car is GREAT in the snow.. I think better then the CL but I know alot depends on the tires.. but this car was great on wensday in North jersey ..

<-- why don't my flicker pics work?
Here you go

Old 02-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Buy putting the songs on USB drive .. not CD.. If the quaility of the recording is 128KBS (whatever) it is then CD quality, if its more the 128 then it is better. Honestly the songs off USB sound better then CD..
I'll politely say that you're wrong, but if it's good enough for your ears then

Explanation: MP3's are a lossy compression whereas a CD is raw/uncompressed.
128Kbps is actually on the low end of encoding a CD track.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:23 PM
THƎSƎ HOPƎFUL MACHINƎS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll politely say that you're wrong, but if it's good enough for your ears then

Explanation: MP3's are a lossy compression whereas a CD is raw/uncompressed.
128Kbps is actually on the low end of encoding a CD track.
This.

Not only is MP3 a lossy compression, but even if you're using a lossless encoder, you're still very likely ripping from a CD (unless you have access to studio master tapes or something) so no matter how good your encoder is, at VERY BEST you'll only be as good as the original CD.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying the car Stoney - my wife and I love our TSX V6 and the sound system is a big part of that.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:55 PM
B A N N E D

thank you TSXTECH For some reason I think the files on my USB drive sound better then my CD's.. I thought maybee cuz some of them are over 128KBPS.. when u rip a CD to the HD does it not record in 128?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

thank you TSXTECH For some reason I think the files on my USB drive sound better then my CD's.. I thought maybee cuz some of them are over 128KBPS.. when u rip a CD to the HD does it not record in 128?
It could be 128, 320, 56, or VBR.
Regardless, it's not going to sound as good as CD no matter what.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:51 AM
B A N N E D

It could be 128, 320, 56, or VBR.
Regardless, it's not going to sound as good as CD no matter what.
I beg to differ when I listen to a store bought CD then my USB , to me the USB souds clearer and better.. (not all the songs but most depends on the recordings)