exterior care question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exterior care question

Hi all,

I've been scouring the FAQ threads for tips on how to properly wash & maintain my car's glistening appearance. The sheer volume of threads is a bit overwhelming, though. I'm wondering if there is anything that should be done immediately after purchasing a new car to maintain the paint. Do we already need a wax? Is it too early? How about clay? Is the car fairly well protected right now? It's the first car that I've actually given a crap about, so I want it to always look as radical as it does right now.

Gracias
Old 05-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Visit the Wash and Wax Forum for help with your questions.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
webs...I know you will likely go check out the wash and wax forum but in case you do come back here, I have had many new cars and I can tell you that there is nothing wrong in waxing a car after you buy it. I use this AMAZING stuff called "Collanite" which creates this amazing protective coating that doesn't allow any dirt and goo from adhering to the paint finish. It beads like nothing you will ever see in your life and although it may appear that dirt and crap sticks on your car, the moment you start washing it, it just glides off and gives an amazing shine (you have to dry your car after you have rinsed it). I love Mothers step 2 for removing any swirl (especially on a black car ) but I much prefer waxing my car by hand than using a buffer....but thats just me...
Old 05-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 09TSX
webs...I know you will likely go check out the wash and wax forum but in case you do come back here, I have had many new cars and I can tell you that there is nothing wrong in waxing a car after you buy it. I use this AMAZING stuff called "Collanite" which creates this amazing protective coating that doesn't allow any dirt and goo from adhering to the paint finish. It beads like nothing you will ever see in your life and although it may appear that dirt and crap sticks on your car, the moment you start washing it, it just glides off and gives an amazing shine (you have to dry your car after you have rinsed it). I love Mothers step 2 for removing any swirl (especially on a black car ) but I much prefer waxing my car by hand than using a buffer....but thats just me...

Have you ever used any of the Werkstatt products? If you did, how would you compare them?

And to the original poster: The easiest way to keep a nice finish is to 1) keep it waxed/sealed! The nano second you have a chance, do it 2) only wash it yourself with super soft tools 3) use a very light paint clear/polish and clay once a year to prep the paint for the winter months (always wax/seal after claying and/or polishing... and clay before polishing)
Old 05-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Advanced

Wink

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try waxing for the first time this weekend....kind of scared...maybe i should practice on my daughters tricycle
Old 05-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by webs
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try waxing for the first time this weekend....kind of scared...maybe i should practice on my daughters tricycle
Here's some tips that I've heard and use:

- Whatever applicators/MFs you use, test on a CD first. If it scratches it, don't use it!!
- When you're waxing, do a 2x2' area at a time (apply it in a VERY thin layer, thick layers do nothing since you're taking access off)... work your away across a panel this way, and when you're done with the panel it should be dry so you can use another buffing MF to remove the access
- Constantly check your MFs to make sure there are no debris, since they WILL scratch.. and that's the last thing you want done to your beautiful black TSX

When detailing, don't forget to clean the wheel wells... you'll be surprised at how big of a difference it makes! Dress them with whatever you use on your tires, too.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:43 AM
Racer

Just02...No, I must say I have never heard of that product. Not sure if its available in Canada? I am a big car washing guy and I have tried everything under the sun and so far, Mothers combined with a coat of that Collinite stuff is just simply UNBELIEVABLE!! You can google it, they have a website..I use the insulator wax. http://www.collinite.com

As far as the wheel well advice, I agree that with my 2006 TSX, I have been detailing the wheel well and it looks amazing when its nice and black but the 2009 might prove difficult as they have removed the plastic cover and instead, has that rough textured finish so it may not be easy to detail it (didn't try yet as I have don't have my 2009 yet)...Do you have yours and if so, did you have any success doing it? I wish they would have done the wheel well like the prev generation, it looked so much more elegant than this textured crap...
Old 05-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Instructor

09TSX: Check out http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/ .. It's a little more involved than Collinite products, but as I've heard the results are just as good between the two. I'm really tempted to try some 476S... sounds like a really good winter protectant, even more so than Werkstatt stuff (although they're very close.. I've gotten 4 months out of one application (along with using Prime Strong before sealing) and it hadn't stopped beading). I guess I'll have to test them side by side sometime for the hell of it.

I'm actually driving an '07 Accord right now. However, The entire rear wheel wells on the 7th generation Accords has that rough textured stuff and it's fairly easy to keep clean. I treat all four wheel wells the same:

1) I start by creating a solution of distilled water and PoorBoys All-Purpose Cleaner in a bucket and in a spray bottle
2) I spray the front and back of the wheel wells (the lower portions) with it and let the solution sit while I wash the car.
3) After the car is washed, I grab the third buck with the APC solution and use an old wash mitt to clean the wheel wells.
4) Finally, I dress them with 303 aerospace protectant... but you know what'd work really well? Zaino's tire dressing diluted with distilled water. (undiluted it'll bead water and dirt, at least it seems that way... it's an incredible product, and it smells like bubblegum or something haha)
Old 05-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Racer

Just02...Thanks for the tip, I'll certainly have to try it!! I must say I rarely drive my car when the roads are wet or dirty as we have another car. The only time it will see the rain is if I'm away on a trip and can't get home to park it into the garage. If you can try that Collinite, you'll be impressed! Whatever you do, don't apply too much though, you dap some on a square cloth pad and apply a thin coat throughout and let dry thoroughly...then buff dry. That stuff smells good too By the way, when you apply that stuff, it will look like you are applying VASELINE on your car, and try to keep the stuff in a dry and cool place otherwise its gets really runny....BUT WHAT A GREAT PRODUCT!
Old 05-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Instructor

09TSX: Would you consider applying with a random-orbital polisher? I'd only image it'd make the whole process easier. How is the slickness? Does it maintain the slickness over a period of time? Also, how's the look? Is it wet and deep? Does it show off metallics/pearl paints well or does it dull them?
Old 05-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Racer

Just02....Its just as easy to apply by hand because its not as if you have to rub it deep into the finish, at least, I don't because all minor scratches are filled up with the Mothers wax I put on before. I use the Collinite as an insulator and protector itself. It can get pretty runny especially if you live in a warm climate, I live in canada, so finding a cool spot is not hard It specifically says on the bottle that if it gets warmish it will seperate but shaking the bottle will mix it again and it will be a bit runny but will not affect the quality of the product whatsoever. I have a PWP color so depth is not something very noticeable on mine but a friend of mine used it on a silver car and it looked amazing. I certainly don't feel it dulls it in anyway...I'd be very surprised if you didn't like the results, EVERYONE who used it (that I know) swears by that stuff and further more, when my neighbors sees me washing my car, they can't get over how amazing that stuff works! I started using Collinite about 1.5 years ago and I will NEVER using anything else (with Mother step 2 for minor swirls), its in my opinion, the best combination!!
Old 05-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Instructor

09TSX: I'll have to pick some up with my next order from AutoGeek! I'm sure the temps up here (NW US) are cool enough to avoid any issues.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Advanced

webs...I use this AMAZING stuff called "Collanite" which creates this amazing protective coating that doesn't allow any dirt and goo from adhering to the paint finish. ...
09TSX: I'm checking out the collinite website and they have quite a few products...which one do you use? It's a perfect day to polish this baby up!
Old 05-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Instructor

I've heard 476S and 885 last the longest...

- 845 is easier to work with
- 476 is more durable
Old 05-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Racer

webs...I would second what Just02 said....the 845 is the easiest one to apply (although you need to let it dry to a haze before removing it otherwise its harder to remove) while the 476 would last longer. One tip, after I have done my entire car with mother step 2 (sealer and glaze), I apply the Collinite (845) over the entire car before removing any of it. And obviously, don't apply any wax in direct sunlight or when car surface is very warm. I leave my car in the garage when doing it. And if you can, apply it on your rims and as far inside your rims as possible, it will prevent brake dust and oil from sticking to them. I'll do the same my 2009 comes in but will give a good coat especially when I take my rims off for the winter and have full access to the entire surface. Best of luck! I'll look forward to hearing what you think...
Old 05-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Trill

what do u guys think about using products from turtle wax?
Old 05-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Tapwave
what do u guys think about using products from turtle wax?
They're still in business? I switched from Zymol (home of the $300 wax) to Zaino back when we got our first S2000s and haven't used anything since. The NSX guys did this test a few years ago and it was enough to convince me to try Zaino. NSX Wax test
Old 05-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Trill

anyone know how to remove water spots on the car? Earlier today i washed my car but i didn't hand dry the car with towels and decided to drive it to dry the water on the car. But that was a really stupid mistake because i now have water spots on my car, but they are more noticable on the windows. I heard vinegar works with newspaper, but are there any good products to fix this?
Old 05-25-2008, 01:10 AM
D

So I got my new TSX today and one of my concerns was the high maintenance of the black exterior that I was considering. They made me an offer for the "Finishing Touch" coat for half off which supposedly makes you never have to wax the car. I'm thinking it's a bunch of bull but can't find much of any information about it. Anyone know much about it?
Old 05-25-2008, 01:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Personally, I don't believe in anything that promises a larger penis, thicker hair, or that you never have to wax the car again. Honestly, the other Finance guys sell this stuff too, but I never do. I recommend Zaino (see above) or that they find a good detailer.

If you got a black car, I'd hope you know what is in store for you. Remember that it can be done, lots of folks maintain a perfect black car. It takes work and unfortunately there are no shortcuts

Tapwave, Since the water spots are new, you might have luck with vinegar. I doubt this would hurt the paint, but I'd keep it away anyway. If this doesn't work, there are commercial products, but I'd recommend a professional if you are unsure. This may sound obvious, but no newspaper on the painted surfaces .....
Old 05-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Trill

vinegar doesn't work on the windows, im gonna go to the auto store and pick something up to clean the shit on my windows and on the chrome exterior on the car.

when drying out the car i know ur suppose to try and sheet the water off by a low pressure hose but when i try to dry the extra water on the car with a MF towel, the water kinda smears and leaves a mess is there anything i can do to change this? like get a squeegee?
Old 05-26-2008, 04:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tapwave
when drying out the car i know ur suppose to try and sheet the water off by a low pressure hose but when i try to dry the extra water on the car with a MF towel, the water kinda smears and leaves a mess is there anything i can do to change this? like get a squeegee?
I will often use a water sprite synthetic chamios, to dry the bulk of the water off, and finish with the 'big blue' waffle weave towel from pakshak.com. With our S2000, one towel dries the whole car and you never wring it out. With a TSX you will need two. As for the squeegee, I've heard some say it scratches, and others don't have a problem.... but enough seem to have difficulties for me to avoid it.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:10 AM
Racer

Tapwave....I know I use a synthetic chamois for drying my car but press very lightly on it to ensure it doesn't leave scratches (although if your chamois is clean, it shouldn't be a problem, and also, get it wet before your start, never use a dry chamois). Also, try to keep drying in the same direction to minimize having all sorts of swirl pattern (in other other words, try to dry along the length of your car going back and forth...you should do the same when washing). Finally, I use rain-x on my windows so very little water actually remains on the window so very few waters spots remains. I think these should come off next time you wash your car and one other tip, when you wash your car, always try to keep the entire car wet by frequently rinsing the other parts so it never dries by sunlight.

PS..If you are in the country and using a well, some of your water spots could be associated with mineral in your water and that can be annoying as hard water never leaves a nice shiny finish...