Dents from car wash....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dents from car wash....

Alright so i have absolutely the worst luck ever.

I just took my TSX through a car wash here. First of all the rubber weather strip over the drivers side door came loose from one side during the car wash. After i was done with the car wash i showed it to the manager and he clipped it back in and to let him know if i have any more problems. So i went home

Well i got home and went around seeing how clean my car was and i look at the panel behind the rear passengers side door and there are small circular dents all over. About 15-20 of them. Not only that but the clear coat of the paint was washed away around the door handles.

So i called the place and one of the employees said that the manager was busy and hell call back.

I was looking online and apparently most car washes would not be liable for things like this Any suggestions of what actions i should take?

**Now i know that i should have not went to a car wash , but i had no time to wash it myself...
Old 09-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was it a brush or brush-less car wash? I only take my car to a brush-less car wash. and the rubber thing becoming loose is normal it happened to me also when my car went under the air blower.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:18 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Holy crap! Since the car is relatively new, you can pay an attorney to write a letter demanding the name of their insurance company in order to file a claim.

All car wash places have a disclaimer about non-factory installed stuff, but that isn't the case here as far as I can read.

I *never* use drive through washes unless it's a rental car.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Alright, well the guy didn't believe that the dents were from his car wash. But, he still offered to pay for the paint job. So now I'm content.

I've learned a lesson though, the hard way unfortunately
Old 09-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sorry but DENTS and REMOVED PAINT from a Car Wash?? Not on a new car, that just doesn't happen....
Maybe you have a problem with your paint job from the factory?
When I was in college, for 5 years, I brought my vehicles to a car wash... Mostly brushless, but some with brushes... Never did I have any problems other than swirl marks (which is expected from a car wash w/ brushes)
(Before people bash me for going to car washes, I would never take my car there now! NEVER! As soon as I bought my new car I stopped going to car washes... The other cars were older and used)

Anywho, I'd have the dealer look into this issue...Do you have photos? The car wash paying for repair may just cover up an existing problem.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6
I'm sorry but DENTS and REMOVED PAINT from a Car Wash?? Not on a new car, that just doesn't happen....
Maybe you have a problem with your paint job from the factory?
When I was in college, for 5 years, I brought my vehicles to a car wash... Mostly brushless, but some with brushes... Never did I have any problems other than swirl marks (which is expected from a car wash w/ brushes)
(Before people bash me for going to car washes, I would never take my car there now! NEVER! As soon as I bought my new car I stopped going to car washes... The other cars were older and used)

Anywho, I'd have the dealer look into this issue...Do you have photos? The car wash paying for repair may just cover up an existing problem.
Well all i know is that before the car wash they were not there, and after it they were. Before i went to get my car washed I looked all around my car just to see how dirty it was. The little dents were not there.

I should also clarify that they arent really dents, and i don't know how to explain it exactly but ill try. Its as if someone put a needle into the paint right after it went on, thus leaving a little hole. Does that make any sense? lol
Old 09-08-2009, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nabooly
Its as if someone put a needle into the paint right after it went on, thus leaving a little hole. Does that make any sense? lol

Uh, don't mean to freak you out or anything, but a "little hole" in the collision repair business is usually a 'solvent pop'. Meaning when a panel is painted after damage is repaired, if the solvent used to clean the surface prior to painting hasn't *completely* evaporated, it 'pops' or bubbles up through the paint. Also, if there was any filler work to be done even a skim coat, if there was air bubbles in the body filler, it will do something similar.

Find a really good body shop to take it to. NOT dude's buddy. They should be able to tell if the panel had paint work before the car wash. (It happens, dents and dings happen during shipping, then they're repaired before delivery to the dealer.)
Old 09-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts
Man, really sucks. Sorry you have to go through that with your baby! I had a friend who took his blue Civic SI through a drive thru car wash and it completely dulled his pain job (it wasn't a touch less), so that said, I would rather my car be dirty than rush and risk messing up my paint using those crappy drive thru car washes. Best of luck and hope you get things all squared away!
Old 09-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Uh, that should not happen in any car wash. I take my 1G to the car wash several times in the winter (no, I am not going to wash my car outside in 20 degree weather), and nothing like that has ever happened. There is either something severely wrong with your car's paint, or a big problem with that specific car wash.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nabooly
Well all i know is that before the car wash they were not there, and after it they were. Before i went to get my car washed I looked all around my car just to see how dirty it was. The little dents were not there.

I should also clarify that they arent really dents, and i don't know how to explain it exactly but ill try. Its as if someone put a needle into the paint right after it went on, thus leaving a little hole. Does that make any sense? lol
I'm not sure if you thought I meant that I didn't blieve that could happen at a car wash... I was just saying that it really may not be the car wash's fault. There could be a defect in the factory paint. I've seen it before.... Good luck bro!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Take the car to the dealership and complain about this. also mention your warranty. For it covers blemishes in the paint upon delivery etc. Hell if you want complain about the orange peel in the paint and you might get a brand new factory paint job on your vehicle. To me it sounds like an issue the dealership needs to handle not you on your own accord or time, nor should you be spending your own money on this issue. Its brand new, the paint should not be messed up.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:44 PM

A factory paint job could only be accomplished if the car were a shell on the assembly line. OE orange peel is harder to duplicate than to make it flat & smooth.

Any *good* bodyman could quickly tell you if it's had any work done that wasn't straight from the factory.

Good luck.