Buying TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 04:17 PM
ShawnAmin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Buying TSX

hey guys so im gonna be buying a 2009 ACURA TSX from a private seller for $22,500 it has the tech package, and only like 27,000 miles. Is it a good buy or not. Ps the guy says that like his car has every option possible available on it. Im not sure what extra options were available that year anyways. Do you guys have any suggestions on what i should be looking for.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Navigation, (in Acura speak, the "technology package") was the only extra cost option other than a V6 engine. You did have the option of a 6 speed manual transmission but the price was the same as the automatic.

The condition of the vehicle is a huge factor as to whether it is a good deal or not. I would ask for service records on the car to see what they have done to it. Take a good look at the tires, more specifically the tire tread. At 27K they should have been rotated several times but will likely still be the original tires. You want to see even wear on all 4 tires, if the fronts are worn more than the rears, it's likely that they weren't rotated very often. Other than that I would check to see if the VIN tag is on every body panel (all doors, hood, trunk) if any of them is missing, it's likely that the car has had paintwork done.

Last edited by black label; 12-14-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
Navigation, (in Acura speak, the "technology package") was the only extra cost option other than a V6 engine. You did have the option of a 6 speed manual transmission but the price was the same as the automatic.

The condition of the vehicle is a huge factor as to whether it is a good deal or not. I would ask for service records on the car to see what they have done to it. Take a good look at the tires, more specifically the tire tread. At 27K they should have been rotated several times but will likely still be the original tires. You want to see even wear on all 4 tires, if the fronts are worn more than the rears, it's likely that they weren't rotated very often. Other than that I would check to see if the VIN tag is on every body panel (all doors, hood, trunk) if any of them is missing, it's likely that the car has had paintwork done.
The V-6 engine was not an option in 2009. That was introduced in the 2010 model year.

To the OP: A TSX with navigation is fully loaded. The only options were NAV or base and stick or Auto (a no-cost option). The $22,500 price sounds about right for a 2009 model with the technology package (NAV) and average mileage for its age. You would probably pay more from a dealer. 2010 tech models can be had for $30k now as they clear stock to make way for the 2011s.

Bear in mind that the 2009 model is now two model years old now that the 2011s are about to go on sale - that might downwardly affect its value the minute you buy it. Since you are not buying from a dealer and thus will have no warranty, I would recommend having a mechanic look it over before sealing the deal to make sure the car has been well cared for and has never been in an accident.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig-D
Bear in mind that the 2009 model is now two model years old now that the 2011s are about to go on sale - that might downwardly affect its value the minute you buy it. Since you are not buying from a dealer and thus will have no warranty, I would recommend having a mechanic look it over before sealing the deal to make sure the car has been well cared for and has never been in an accident.
That's not how it works. The TSX would have a 4 year 50K "new car limited warranty" (formerly known as a bumper to bumper) and a 6 year 70K powertrain warranty. The car the OP is talking about most certainly does have a warranty, they have the remainder of the original factory warranty. There is no way a 2009 TSX has been on the road for more than 4 years and according to the OP it only has 27K on the clock, it's warranty is good at any Acura dealer in the country.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Both Black Label and Craig-D make very good points. Most importantly though, make sure you get a thorough inspection on the car. Just because the odometer is low doesn't mean the car hasn't been run into the ground.

As a means of comparison, I have a Base '09 TSX 6MT on lease with 17.5k on the odometer and I recently received a letter in the mail from my dealer explaining that they want to buy me out because the used car market is in such high demand. While I'm not going to make a deal with them, it should provide a baseline comparison compared to your private seller. I personally would be a little skeptical why the private seller isn't asking at least $24k+, especially on a tech model.

You could arguably get as good of a deal on a 2011 if you shell out a few more bucks.

Just my 2 cents..
Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 PM
ShawnAmin

Ok so check the vin number and locations of it, the tread and pretty muck sure its not a lemon. I did go and look at it once and it seamed to be in good shape. The car is driven by his wife so idk if i should take that as a good thing or bad thing. I did feel skeptical of the price but then i noticed he has had it on sale for a very long time and goes down like every month. In all do you guys think its worth the buy i read that this car has problems slipping into gear smoothly. Also what are the differences between the 10's and 09's besides v6
Old 12-14-2010, 08:17 PM
ShawnAmin

and i do have the manufacturer warranty correct i will be the 3rd owner. The guy bought the car at 4,000 miles
Old 12-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2011's are just hitting the showroom show with an updated look so dealerships (mine included) are doing everything they can to sell our 2010 cars. Acura has 0.9% interest even to try to move them. Right now until January 3, 2011 Acura is also paying the sales person an extra $50 to $200 a car and the dealership upto an extra $1000 a car to sell off their remaining 2010's, so the dealerships are taking every deal that walks in the door. Since the first of the month there hasn't been a customer walk through the door looking at a new car and walked out without one. The bonuses are being paid to the salesman and dealership on percentages of their goals. *Mod Edit* Unapproved advertising removed.

Last edited by LuvMyTSX; 12-14-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
My bad. To the OP: I meant you could probably get a really good deal on a 2010 (not 2011).. I think ron makes a good point about the incentives right now. Personally, I think the better deal is to walk into a dealership and get something brand new.