Anyone get the Remote Start Accessory

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone get the Remote Start Accessory

I just got my 12' TSX Tech on Saturday. Wow is all I can say - I am coming from a 2010 Prius(aka Slug w/awesome gas mileage). Since my Prius had almost every tech feature made for that line, I had to get theTECH package on the TSX. I just love it. What's missing? Well - I saw the accessory list my dealer gave me and saw the REMOTE START kit. I am thinking this will be awesome addition to an awesome car.

Has anyone purchased this? What are your thoughts and what other recommendations would you have? Not sure what my options are other than what I saw offered. Not sure that I this integrates into the existing key FOB or what. Which is one reason why I have all of these questions.

Thanks in advance.

--Mickey
Old 12-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Bicycle Addict

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the factory remote start, don't buy it. Get an aftermarket one instead.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BikingDerek
I have the factory remote start, don't buy it. Get an aftermarket one instead.
I appreciate your opinion. Any reason why not to get? I am not totally against an aftermarket but I am sure I will won't be able to use my Key/FOB that came with it. Not too keen on carrying 2 FOBs. Thanks.

--Mick
Old 12-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Pro

Received 541 Likes on 238 Posts
If you get autostarter, I would just carry the valet key. Less bulk. I was looking at the 5901 but afraid aftermarket will void warranty.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:21 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
From what I remember about the OEM remote start, you can start it with the remote...but once you get into the car, at some point (either when you stick your key in or open the door) the car will turn off and you'll have to turn the key to start the car again. So you're basically starting it twice. The aftermarket ones start it once and it's done. Forgot if there's a way to set up the aftermarket ones so that you can use both your keyfob and the aftermarket one to unlock/lock your doors.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Just so you know, the OEM remote start is an additional key fob, so you will have to carry 2 fobs regardless if you want remote start.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Bicycle Addict

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The factory remote start is an additional key fob which is bigger than the key. The biggest issue I have with it is that you have to stop the engine with the remote starter keyfob before you can even unlock the doors with the keyless entry fob.

Steps:

1) Make sure car is locked
2) press the silver button on the remote starter fob then press the start button.
3) Verify that the engine is running, this can take 10-20 seconds before the remote will show you that it is running. The car does not display any indication that it is running (no lights or anything)

Once running, you need to do the following to get in your car and drive away:

1) on Starter fob, press the silver button then the stop button
2) on keyless fob, unlock car
3) enter car and re-start car with the key.

On all of my prior cars with factory remote start, the remote start was the same key fob as the keyless entry.

The car would display the parking lights as a signal that the car was running. You were able to unlock the car, put the key in the ignition and turn it to the running position (if you turned it too far to the start position, the starter would not engage). Put your foot on the brake and put the car into gear and drive away.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slickooz
If you get autostarter, I would just carry the valet key. Less bulk. I was looking at the 5901 but afraid aftermarket will void warranty.
Now that makes some sense. I may have to check into that. Void the warranty? May have to double check that too.

--Mickey
Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Intermediate

Thanks guys - everything I am hearing, I may be better off looking for an aftermarket solution and use the Valet key. There are some local installers in my town. I will go consult with them on what my options are. I can't do anything until after Christmas any ways - so I am not in a hurry.

I really want the start for the Summer Time any ways for cooling off the car while walking to it from the parking lot.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

--Mickey
Old 12-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
you wouldn't want to heat up the car while walking to the car from the parking lot? it gets cold in the winter lol. use the search and look up remote start, i know we have a few guys with one, like the viper. i also remember reading a horror story of the dealer fucking up and overcharging for the crappy remote start
Old 12-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PyroDave
you wouldn't want to heat up the car while walking to the car from the parking lot? it gets cold in the winter lol. use the search and look up remote start, i know we have a few guys with one, like the viper. i also remember reading a horror story of the dealer fucking up and overcharging for the crappy remote start
I hear ya - we have really short winters down here. It can be in the 30s one day and highs in the 70s the next...and only a couple of months or so. Summers are more brutal.

--Mickey
Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cmalberto
Thanks guys - everything I am hearing, I may be better off looking for an aftermarket solution and use the Valet key. There are some local installers in my town. I will go consult with them on what my options are. I can't do anything until after Christmas any ways - so I am not in a hurry.

I really want the start for the Summer Time any ways for cooling off the car while walking to it from the parking lot.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

--Mickey
While not as efficient as pre-cooling with air conditioning, from outside the car, you can press the unlock button twice and hold it for several seconds; it will roll down all of the windows, and open the moonroof.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
i agree with kixo, thats exactly what i do because i dont have remote start. i do that to open everything, then as soon as i get in the car, back windows up and AC on blast, then after a min close all the windows. also,

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=remote+start

and

and
horror story
Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Intermediate

I am gonna keep on reading these links. All good stuff. I guess what I never thought about is the remote start. I will still have to use my keys will I not no matter which I choose(aftermarket or OEM)? I am thinking so as the ignition lock will prevent driving.

--Mickey
Old 12-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
i picked up my '12 Tech PWP Monday Night, and ive been questioning myself on the remote start, id actually want to invest in it, And id Stick to OEM just so everything is Acura, and they have no reason to say someone else Hacked into the car
Old 12-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When I bought my 2010 TSX V6 Tech a year and a half ago I had the dealership throw it in for free. It's great for the hot and cold days.

Like others have mentioned, the bad thing about it is you have another bulky remote you have to carry around and when you unlock the door, the engine stops automatically (you don't have to stop the engine and then unlock the door). You then have to restart the car.

When activated, the cabin temp is automatically set to 22C (canadian model). It will activate the defroster for the rear window and AC will turn on to remove the moisture inside the car automatically. It also shuts the engine off after 10 min or 20 min if you forget.

My wife and I just had a baby and it's great not having to go outside to warm up the car. I got the OEM starter because I believe they're all plug and play. I didn't want the dealerships messing with the wires on my new car. Oh, the range is pretty good. There is an antenna that they mount behind the rear view mirror. Also, you can press the silver button twice to check and see if your engine is running and the doors are locked or unlocked. I will never buy another car without one.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Advanced

My wife's CX-7 had the remote start feature when we bought it... It was great a great feature we didn't think we needed, but ended up using quite a bit to help cool the car down during the hot summers (black leather interiors).

When it was time to get my TSX Wagon... I asked the salesman about it, and he flat out said don't get it. He said it was a hassle because you have to restart the car once you get in, he also showed us how much the option was (~$700)!

For those two reasons, we decided not to get it. I don't think I'm missing out on it too much, but on hot days, I kinda miss it...

I do use the auto roll down windows feature, but think it's a pain to manually roll up the rear windows (gotta hold the window buttons till the fully close).
Old 12-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
I got a viper 5701 because the remote is slim and it is also a two way. If you want a screen you can get the 5901 but the remote is bigger. A remote start will not void your warranty, just find a good reputable and well established shop that installs it. I have a video about it below if it helps.

https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/my-remote-start-video-808513/