Acura Seats compared to Honda Seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Seats compared to Honda Seats

This is my first post but I’ve been lurking and reading for a while. I am heavily considering a 2010 TSX to replace my Accord that is getting long in the tooth. Honda makes great vehicles, but their seats are not the most comfortable for long trips. I know many have no issues with the seats, but there are enough that do and I fall into the latter camp. The seats cause numbness after sitting for longer periods and I have a long commute.

I have test driven a 2010 TSX base model and I was surprised to find the lumbar support was manual. I think the current Accord (US model) has power lumbar so I was surprised by this. A typical test drive is too short to say it was or was not better so I’m going to try to rent one or take the dealer up on an offer to have an overnight test drive.

Are there any members that have come from other Hondas to find the Acura seats are much improved?

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Old 09-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hermes
This is my first post but I’ve been lurking and reading for a while. I am heavily considering a 2010 TSX to replace my Accord that is getting long in the tooth. Honda makes great vehicles, but their seats are not the most comfortable for long trips. I know many have no issues with the seats, but there are enough that do and I fall into the latter camp. The seats cause numbness after sitting for longer periods and I have a long commute.

I have test driven a 2010 TSX base model and I was surprised to find the lumbar support was manual. I think the current Accord (US model) has power lumbar so I was surprised by this. A typical test drive is too short to say it was or was not better so I’m going to try to rent one or take the dealer up on an offer to have an overnight test drive.

Are there any members that have come from other Hondas to find the Acura seats are much improved?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

I haven't owned many Acura vehicles but I can say this. I've had a cadillac CTS and the seats in my TSX are much more comfortable. I never experience any back pain, numbness, or discomfort in my TSX. I like how they have lumbar support and bend back slightly toward the head rest to accomodate the spine.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:39 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Comparing the seats on my 06 tsx to the ones on my mom's 08 accord I find mine to be more comfortable for long distance driving. I drive my tsx from NC to NJ. I then drive my mom back in her accord to NC. I drive her back to NJ and then return to NC in my tsx. I have also been on 3 cross country road trips in the tsx.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Advanced

I have scoliosis, so am really picky about car seats, as most seats/chairs give me considerable back pain. I have to say that of all the cars I've ever tried, my '09 TSX has the absolute BEST seats. At least, the most comfortable for me. I can get in the car, drive for 3 hours, and get out with my back feeling even better than when I got in!

I think a lot may have to do with your personal conformation - the curves of the TSX seat might not fit your back as well as, say, mine - but in my opinion and for me the TSX has really incredibly comfortable seats. I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but that was one of the major reasons I picked this car. With my bad back and the miles I put in on the road, I really needed something that would support my spine, and I have been REALLY pleased with the TSX.

The seats definitely do have a more "sporty" feel than a "cushy" feel, though. They are firmer and more supportive than some others (like, IMO, the TL). That style of seat may or may not work well for you - I think you'd have to try it to really know.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The very supportive front seats was one of the reasons i bought my 09.
There no cushy or soft like in camry's or altimas. The accord seats have decent lateral support but the TSX has a good blend of comfort and support but the extra bolstering really helps during aggresive driving...
Old 09-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
I dont really see the need for power lumbar. Just set it and forget it.....

I do see when it would be useful if more than one person drives the car though.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Racer

I think power lumbar would have been nice. My previous cars all had it and I thought it was kinda cheap not to include it in something this expensive, especially since the US Accord had it.... but as someone said, once its set, I never change it. Honestly, I never changed it in my other cars either! lol
Old 09-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't ever remember out 99 or 95 Accords being as stiff but I can say that the 08 Accord seats suck. The foam material is so stiff that I was getting back pain even after short trips. I would hope that the leather is softer but if they used the same foam it could be an issue.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:00 AM
Intermediate

Having read complaints about the current Accord seats being too hard I was nevertheless surprised, in two test drives last week, to find they ARE hard - too hard! (I had no such problem with the previous generation Accord seats.) I found the seat angle too tilted up at the thighs, too - couldn't get it adjusted to my personal comfort.

A test drive in a new TSX was a completely different experience - seats were both supportive AND comfortable.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by tsxfool
Having read complaints about the current Accord seats being too hard I was nevertheless surprised, in two test drives last week, to find they ARE hard - too hard! (I had no such problem with the previous generation Accord seats.) I found the seat angle too tilted up at the thighs, too - couldn't get it adjusted to my personal comfort.
That is a pretty good description of how Honda seats affect me and why I have to look elsewhere. My wife's 4Runner has the ability to control that angle separately which is very nice on long trips.

I need a good couple of days of test driving to see if the TSX works for me. I wish dealers would rent them out.

I appreciate all those who took the time to provide feedback.