4 Cyl - under powered?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Cyl - under powered?

Just test drove a base 2010 TSX.... I must say, I was very impressed with the interior, however I found the engine to be a bit under powered. Is it normal for 4 cylinders to rev that high? Or is it Acura specific?

Im wondering just how much better would a V6 will be? and what would be the downside of getting one? apart from the price point off course.

Any ideas guys?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
honda 4's have always redlined from 7k to 9k depending on the application. want to feel the power, run it up to redline. The top end is where max power is made. They sound sooo good too. Other than cost the v6 is way less tossable because of the v6's added weight on the front wheels. If you want a decent performer that attacks corners well, get 4cyl. If you want a car thats more grand tourer type commuter car. get v6. Thats my .02
Old 12-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

BTW did you drive 6speed or auto?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:25 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HouseApe
Just test drove a base 2010 TSX.... I must say, I was very impressed with the interior, however I found the engine to be a bit under powered. Is it normal for 4 cylinders to rev that high? Or is it Acura specific?

Im wondering just how much better would a V6 will be? and what would be the downside of getting one? apart from the price point off course.

Any ideas guys?
a few things:

1) read the forums that you just posted in. there is a ton of information out there, not just on acurazine, but all over the internets.
2) honda is known for making high revving, low torque, relatively high output 4 cylinder engines. the 1st and 2nd gen TSX is no exception to this.
2a) those engines need to be revved to 4, 5, 6 thousand RPM in order to wring out the most performance.
2b) most people looking at near-lux or lux cars do not want to rev their cars that high to get the thing to move.
3) the only reason to buy a 4 cylinder TSX is if you buy it with its 6 speed manual transmission. the auto is very sluggish (gearing is significantly different from the manual), though it is slightly better on gas mileage (who really cares about ~28 vs 29 mpg?)
3a) learn how to drive a stick if you don't already
3b) test drive a manual TSX and report back
4) the V6 TSX has ample power, but it is still FWD and frankly, 280+ HP in a FWD car is often times obnoxious to me.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by frescagod
a few things:

1) read the forums that you just posted in. there is a ton of information out there, not just on acurazine, but all over the internets.
2) honda is known for making high revving, low torque, relatively high output 4 cylinder engines. the 1st and 2nd gen TSX is no exception to this.
2a) those engines need to be revved to 4, 5, 6 thousand RPM in order to wring out the most performance.
2b) most people looking at near-lux or lux cars do not want to rev their cars that high to get the thing to move.
3) the only reason to buy a 4 cylinder TSX is if you buy it with its 6 speed manual transmission. the auto is very sluggish (gearing is significantly different from the manual), though it is slightly better on gas mileage (who really cares about ~28 vs 29 mpg?)
3a) learn how to drive a stick if you don't already
3b) test drive a manual TSX and report back
4) the V6 TSX has ample power, but it is still FWD and frankly, 280+ HP in a FWD car is often times obnoxious to me.
+1

I test drove both before making my purchase. The auto was a dealbreaker for me - lt felt like little more than a gussied up econobox. The stick feels like a totally different car. That's the one I took home. Incredibly, 95% of all TSX buyers opt for the automatic. They don't know what they're missing. I never understood why people buy automatic sports sedans. If you want a family sedan with luxury amenities, why not just get a top of the line Accord? I now even see a lot of automatic Porsches, which is sacrilege.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Manual was my initial choice... but unfortunately, the dealers in my area cant find a stick shift anywhere

The dealer just quoted me 29,900 (Including freight) for the V6 (Without Tech) and 26,000 for the Base.....

Is that a good price for the V6?
Old 12-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
i paid 32k for a v6 w/o tech in august, so i would say your price is what i would expect for an outgoing model year.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned

do you want a 6speed? if you do and your cars wheels werent falling off, i'd wait till i found what i wanted.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:10 AM
kgs
Advanced

I never understood why people buy automatic sports sedans.
for me, it was daily stop and go traffic in my commute that got me to buy the auto. My 2002 325xi was manual and I absolutely loved it until I got a new job 40 miles from my house with ridiculous amounts of traffic both to and from work. Driving my manual used to make sitting in traffic 100x worse and I'd be so angry by the time I got there . In my auto TSX tech, traffic doesn't affect my mood at all b/c it's a really comfortable ride and I feel like I'm traveling in my living room!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kgs
for me, it was daily stop and go traffic in my commute that got me to buy the auto. My 2002 325xi was manual and I absolutely loved it until I got a new job 40 miles from my house with ridiculous amounts of traffic both to and from work. Driving my manual used to make sitting in traffic 100x worse and I'd be so angry by the time I got there . In my auto TSX tech, traffic doesn't affect my mood at all b/c it's a really comfortable ride and I feel like I'm traveling in my living room!
Some people want the heart of a sport sedan (handling, braking, luxury appointments, etc) with the convenience of shifting itself or semi-manual. I thing it's a great mix. Sit in traffic and let the car do the shifting while you enjoy listening to music from the ELS system.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Some people want the heart of a sport sedan (handling, braking, luxury appointments, etc) with the convenience of shifting itself or semi-manual. I thing it's a great mix. Sit in traffic and let the car do the shifting while you enjoy listening to music from the ELS system.
How does one enjoy handling, braking, and other areas of the heart of a sports sedan while sitting in stop and go traffic? Sounds like the needs of such drivers are better served by family cars like the Honda Accord. In LX trim, its interior appointments aren't much different than the TSX. If I commuted by car in traffic each day and wanted luxury, I see myself in something more like a nice comfortable cruiser like the Lexus ES or Lincoln MKZ. My 6 speed TSX is used as a weekend toy on the open road, and it's a blast to drive in that application. When test driving both, I simply didn't get the same sporting experience in the auto version - which defeats the purpose IMHO. But to each his own. All that matters is that each person is happy with their choice.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Craig-D
All that matters is that each person is happy with their choice.
Exactly!
I think the automatic is sporty enough, however; I used to drive a '98 Toyota Avalon.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Banned

How does one enjoy handling, braking, and other areas of the heart of a sports sedan while sitting in stop and go traffic? Sounds like the needs of such drivers are better served by family cars like the Honda Accord. In LX trim, its interior appointments aren't much different than the TSX. If I commuted by car in traffic each day and wanted luxury, I see myself in something more like a nice comfortable cruiser like the Lexus ES or Lincoln MKZ. My 6 speed TSX is used as a weekend toy on the open road, and it's a blast to drive in that application. When test driving both, I simply didn't get the same sporting experience in the auto version - which defeats the purpose IMHO. But to each his own. All that matters is that each person is happy with their choice.
wow im glad you are one of few than can buy a 30k car for just the weekends. Wanna give ne a percent of who can? This guy im sur isnt in stop/go traffic 24/7. The free-way or 2 land country roads would allow him to appreciate the sportiness of the TSX.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:08 PM
d0wN sHiFtInG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is my first Acura and my first 4cyl. I must say i'm in love! This car is awesome, has the power especially when the vtec kicks in (5500?)..it's no s2000 but it's decent. The 6spd is so smooth!! I had a 99 5spd Maxima (v6 190hp - first & only used car...never again) well this little 4 bagger not only schools the 4th gen Maxima but it's equally capable or hanging with the 5th gen (220hp). LOVE THIS CAR! w00t. lol
Old 12-29-2010, 04:24 PM
kgs
Advanced

Sounds like the needs of such drivers are better served by family cars like the Honda Accord
as correctly pointed out, my whole ride isn't stop/go traffic and when it finally opens up, you can bet that i'm whipping down the highway enjoying the sporty fun of the TSX. I'm still young and I don't have kids, so I have no need for a family car.

and they do let me out to drive on the weekends
Old 12-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
wow im glad you are one of few than can buy a 30k car for just the weekends. Wanna give ne a percent of who can? This guy im sur isnt in stop/go traffic 24/7. The free-way or 2 land country roads would allow him to appreciate the sportiness of the TSX.
Well, let's be clear: it is my only car. So how often I use it has no bearing on affordability. In fact, my lack of gas consumption and lower insurance make the car more affordable than someone who commutes with it. I live in the city I work in, so I walk 10 min. to work. I have no need for a car on weekdays. I only put 8,000 miles a year on my car. If I had to commute by car in heavy traffic, I too wouldn't drive a stick. However if I had to get an auto, I'd also be driving something with more than 201 hp. You'd probably have to put me into something with power along the lines of an Infiniti G37 or Taurus SHO to get me to give up my manual tranny.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Je t'aime...

Some people will argue with you... that automatics with the sports mode (Semi-Automatic, Paddles, and etc...) are faster than the traditional 6spd MT. I agree completely with that too.

If you were to race both TSX in a straight line. The 6spd MT will win if you powershift, but if you don't powershift, the automatic in sports mode might actually make it a tie or win, maybe. Cause automatic does give the car extra weight, however, granny shifting during a drag race will affect your times.

In other cars, such as the M3. The DCT is faster than the 6spd MT. Same with Porsche's PDK, which is faster than the 6spd MT.

However, I do agree that the 6spd MT on the TSX is a different beast compared to the automatic TSX.

A lot of people keep saying the TSX is "underpowered", but not once I heard the Lexus IS250 is "underpowered". In my mind, the IS250 is a piece of crap. The TSX walks all over it in performance, but I'm not saying the TSX is fast but all means its not slow either. Its decent, both automatic and 6spd, but I prefer 6spd on the TSX.

Oh, Honda cars are suppose to rev that high. Have you ever drove a S2000? Love the way the car revs....
Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
I bought mine in auto because of heavy traffic to and from work. Didnt even consider a manual though I would have loved one. Didnt even bother with a test drive. Well I test drove a '11 6spd today. Wow. I'm actually considering taking the hit and trading up. It felt like I was home again.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
then why even bother buy a TSX? Sounds to me that you are looking for more of a weekend driver...and in this case there are plenty of better cars for that job in the 30k range.

Fact of the matter is that the TSX really just an Accord. Just one with better driving dynamics and smaller size built for the European market.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
In response to the original question, I'd say the TSX four has just enough punch to qualify as an enthusiast's car, at least with the manual. IMO another 10-15 hp and ft.-lb. of torque would make a world of difference.

I have a fairly long commute, and often encounter brutal traffic in and out of Center City Philadelphia. I understand the appeal of an automatic for this, but I vastly prefer the stick anyway. In fact, the additional control provides many benefits in heavy traffic, and is great in the city itself. Besides, when you're used to driving a manual, shifting becomes second nature, so it's not really a chore. That's especially true when the shifter and clutch are as wonderful as they are in the TSX. I know it's all about preferences, but if you can drive a manual and have any inclination toward one, it's the way to go in the TSX, regardless of driving conditions.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Intermediate

@ Nedmundo --- As far as the stick shifting becoming second nature, I completely agree with you!

I started driving when I was 15 and drove stick throughout until I got my current CL which is an Auto.... Autos have a whole list of good things about them, but I just find driving a stick MUCH more enjoyable.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by denwhat
then why even bother buy a TSX? Sounds to me that you are looking for more of a weekend driver...and in this case there are plenty of better cars for that job in the 30k range.
That's a very good question. Here's the answer: My requirements were a well-equipped compact 4 dr sports sedan with at least 200 hp and a manual tranny with a price not to exceed $33k. At that price limit, I didn't find anything meeting my requirements that piqued my interest. My ideal car would have been a BMW 328, but it came to $38k when equipped similar to a base TSX and that price was a dealbreaker. I liked the Lexus IS250 also, but its back seat is unusable and again its cost was not competitive with TSX when comparably equipped. The Audi A4 was also not cost competitive.

You are right that there are better cars for weekend fun than the TSX - but you are wrong that any similar ones are available at anywhere near its price. The TSX won out because it offers the most car for less money, and I'm happy with it. But I won't pretend it was my first choice.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by HondaOnWORKS
Some people will argue with you... that automatics with the sports mode (Semi-Automatic, Paddles, and etc...) are faster than the traditional 6spd MT. I agree completely with that too.

If you were to race both TSX in a straight line. The 6spd MT will win if you powershift, but if you don't powershift, the automatic in sports mode might actually make it a tie or win, maybe. Cause automatic does give the car extra weight, however, granny shifting during a drag race will affect your times.
People are welcome to argue the point all they want, but they'll be wrong. I've seen anywhere from 6.7 to 7.7 second 0-60 times for the TSX manual. You can add a full second over that to the 0-60 time of the auto TSX.

http://www.insideline.com/acura/tsx/...acura-tsx.html