2nd Generation TSX I4 automatic acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Generation TSX I4 automatic acceleration

I am considering a leftover 2010 TSX 4 cylinder with the 5 speed automatic to replace my 2005 Maxima that has a 3.5L V6. I知 a little concerned that I will be unhappy with the TSX acceleration. I found the 0-60 times for the TSX automatic stated in an Edmonds road test to be 8.7 seconds. The Maxima 0-60 time is about 2.5 seconds quicker than the TSX.

With the above said, I壇 like to get the opinions of others with regard the acceleration that have a 2nd generation TSX with a 4 cylinder automatic. I知 no lead foot, so I知 interested in opinions about TSX acceleration in everyday driving and how the acceleration is when you have 4 or 5 people in the car.

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't mean to represent for all TSX I4 owners but from my own personal experience, this I4 is far far from making me happy in term of acceleration when comparing to my previous Accord V6.

Also, with the same driving style (just a little aggressive) and same roads between my work and home, my previous Accord V6 consumed 22 mpg in average while this I4 takes roughly 24 mpg.
Only 2 mpg better and sacrificing for the acceleration.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
you will be disappointed since youre comparing a V6 acceleration against a I4.

why arent you considering a 10' V6 instead? wouldnt that be a better comparison?

i have a 09' I4 auto and the acceleration is fine for my daily commutes, especially on the freeway if i need to overtake someone. but then again i didnt get this car for its performance.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
+1 ^
Old 02-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I test drove a 2nd generation TSX last May, I found the engine to be adequate, but you really need to rev to get that power.

It sounded AMAZING though. Honda really knows its 4-cylinders. But if you're coming from a V6, particularly Nissan's VQ, it'll feel a little flat-footed. My dad (who has an Infiniti I35) found my car to be a little flat footed too because he's used to the V6.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I dunno man, my summer ride is a 12 second camaro, and while the 4cyl won't touch that, it takes off from a red light like you won't believe, it's effortless. The 5 speed keeps it in the meat, and it's not bad at all from a stop.

From a roll or 60+, it's kinda meh tho.....
Old 02-10-2011, 03:10 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
since u came from v6 like eveyrone said..its probably a bit low on power. i came from an 02 civic..so everything was an upgrade for me. with that said...8.6 seems kinda high for 0-60 run? i believe c/d and motor trend states something north of 7, i actually did my own 0-60 run with a friend who drives a IS350...it was around 7ish as well.

although its not strong in power, its a great DD IMO
Old 02-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
get the 6spd, problem solved
Old 02-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can be quicker than/much more fun than your Maxima if you rev the nuts off it. Do it. It wants to be beat on. Use the paddle shifters.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
^This, plus I think many people simply do not know how to use the paddle shifters on the automatic. I doubt the Edmunds test took S mode into account. I rev the shit out of my car without reservation if I feel the need for speed, and it does not disappoint. Even with 4 people in the car. On the street, 2 is the best when it gets up to 5-6k RPM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
^This, plus I think many people simply do not know how to use the paddle shifters on the automatic. I doubt the Edmunds test took S mode into account. I rev the shit out of my car without reservation if I feel the need for speed, and it does not disappoint. Even with 4 people in the car. On the street, 2 is the best when it gets up to 5-6k RPM.
OP, if you do like MrOtocinclus said, then expect to see your MPG drops significantly plus you will hear the sound of the engine rev'ed up, it's painful though.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:38 PM
You see me, I CU2

Received 358 Likes on 284 Posts
Sport mode makes things more interesting but its no v6

As they say there's no replacement for displacement
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you want acceleration proximate to a 3.5L Maxima in a TSX, you have 2 options: get the 4 cyl with a 6 speed or get the V6. I still can't believe the take rate for the manual TSX is only something like 3%. No offense to the TSX auto owners (who are the vast majority), but if a manual tranny wasn't offered with this car, there's no way I would have bought it. For $30k, I have accelaration expectations that the auto 4 TSX couldn't meet when I test drove it.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. NC
Sport mode makes things more interesting but its no v6

As they say there's no replacement for displacement
+1

Has anyone taken this car to 7000rpm? Max horsepower peaks at 7k and redline is 7100rpm, which I think is pretty high.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig-D
If you want acceleration proximate to a 3.5L Maxima in a TSX, you have 2 options: get the 4 cyl with a 6 speed or get the V6. I still can't believe the take rate for the manual TSX is only something like 3%. No offense to the TSX auto owners (who are the vast majority), but if a manual tranny wasn't offered with this car, there's no way I would have bought it. For $30k, I have accelaration expectations that the auto 4 TSX couldn't meet when I test drove it.

hey...im in hoboken all the time
Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ttk5
get the 6spd, problem solved
+1. Take it from me, who's owned two Maximas ('95 and an '03), that you will be extremely disappointed unless you get the 6MT. Maximas have one of the best engines in its class (it's what they're known for), and it will be hard to match it on any 4cylinder by comparison.

My TSX is the first 4-cylinder car I've owned, and the first manual transmission I've owned. I also had an '06 350Z which I regret ever purchasing (bought it in an automatic). Overall, the TSX is hands down my favorite.

Last edited by ressling; 02-10-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 010tsxcbp
+1

Has anyone taken this car to 7000rpm? Max horsepower peaks at 7k and redline is 7100rpm, which I think is pretty high.
Yes, I've taken it to 7k plenty of times with no issues.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:55 PM
You see me, I CU2

Received 358 Likes on 284 Posts
7k redline may seem high but Honda's are made to sing + its no 8/9k= F22, B18 or k20
Old 02-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
how long do you ride in redline? a few seconds? no thanks. i'd rather have more torque in the low to mid rpm range where it's more readily available.

to the OP, get the v6 and don't turn back.. ESPECIALLY if you have to get auto.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Racer

The I4 engine in the AT TSX is more of a joy to drive. I have the AT version, as my commute is a total 100 miles a day and a manual in LA traffic would be painful. I test drove a TSX V6 and there was alot of low end power, but its not as joyful and feels a bit heavy handling wise. If your looking at daily drive, the I4 AT TSX is perfect. Good luck with ur choice. lol
Originally Posted by ed_423
since u came from v6 like eveyrone said..its probably a bit low on power. i came from an 02 civic..so everything was an upgrade for me. with that said...8.6 seems kinda high for 0-60 run? i believe c/d and motor trend states something north of 7, i actually did my own 0-60 run with a friend who drives a IS350...it was around 7ish as well.

although its not strong in power, its a great DD IMO
Ed lets go out to a drag strip and see what times both of us can manage against each other lol
Old 02-11-2011, 02:10 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by pbhak002
The I4 engine in the AT TSX is more of a joy to drive. I have the AT version, as my commute is a total 100 miles a day and a manual in LA traffic would be painful. I test drove a TSX V6 and there was alot of low end power, but its not as joyful and feels a bit heavy handling wise. If your looking at daily drive, the I4 AT TSX is perfect. Good luck with ur choice. lol

Ed lets go out to a drag strip and see what times both of us can manage against each other lol
drag strip? street racing man!!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig-D
It's because Acura dealers don't order them in manual. The stealership I went to told me I'd have to wait an extra month for a manual. I needed a car right then, so I got the auto-tragic instead.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:41 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
It's because Acura dealers don't order them in manual. The stealership I went to told me I'd have to wait an extra month for a manual. I needed a car right then, so I got the auto-tragic instead.
when u r dropping 30 grand on something, you rent a car 1st an what to get the car you want or take the bus. I'd never settle. I remember when i wanted a 4cyl accord coupe with navi, it was rare. I waited 5 months, took a cap to work until they found what i wanted.

The accords 190hp is very similar to tsx and i loved it. Ask to drive it for a day, That you wanna be completely sure the motor is adequate for you.

auto tsx does 0-60 in 8.2sec. the 6speed 6.8sec.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:54 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
sounds like what happened to us with another car we wanted to buy. The salesman told us they had no manual transmission and we would have to wait. After we told him no manual no sale they found one-dealer trade- When we bought our 06 tsx the dealer did a dealer trade without trying to sell us an automatic (had them in stock)
Old 02-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Dealers don't order them because they can't sell them. Remember that the MT owners here (Acurazine) in no way represent the true MT "take rate" (3%-5% depending on who you believe). There may be a few buyers who would take an AT because an MT wasn't available, but that's their fault. They're either lazy or in a hurry (started looking too late if they're coming off a lease for example). And I'm sorry guys (and gals), but I don't think the MT owner/drivers really have the right to render an opinion on the merits of the AT model since they don't drive one ("test drives" don't count). Though it can take a little time, with some practice and experimentation, the AT can be quite entertaining (and I'd be more than happy to go up against an MT w/ my 136K mile 05 AT). This really is an apples and oranges comparison (this whole thread I mean). It's unfair to pit a V-6 powered car against a 4 cylinder one (and a weak one at that)(the power was marginal in the 1st gen, the extra pounds of the 2nd gen just kind of pushed it over the top)(or should I say under).

I can get my MT jollies elsewhere, so the daily driver decision was a no brainer for me. Traffic is a valid reason for going the AT route, plus I was concerned (as always) about resale (my guess is that the "take" rate for used MT models is about the same as new). Of course my 05 was my wife's car to start with (she got the 07 when we bought another one, so I adopted the 05 to finish using it up)(which I've enjoyed doing), and I never guessed it would be around this long. But since it is, I'm even more glad that with 136K miles, I don't have an MT to worry about (and save the comments about the AT. Properly maintained, it's way more reliable than some on this site would like to admit).

All that said, I think the 4 cylinder AT combination would be more than adequate for the OP. Once he got used to driving it, I don't doubt he'd be more than satisfied (and I'll bet you he'd be thrilled with the car coming from an 05 Maxima).

Last edited by Simba91102; 02-11-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:17 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
Dealers don't order them because they can't sell them. Remember that the MT owners here (Acurazine) in no way represent the true MT "take rate" (3%-5% depending on who you believe). There may be a few buyers who would take an AT because an MT wasn't available, but that's their fault. They're either lazy or in a hurry (started looking too late if they're coming off a lease for example). And I'm sorry guys (and gals), but I don't think the MT owner/drivers really have the right to render an opinion on the merits of the AT model since they don't drive one ("test drives" don't count). Though it can take a little time, with some practice and experimentation, the AT can be quite entertaining (and I'd be more than happy to go up against an MT w/ my 136K mile 05 AT). This really is an apples and oranges comparison (this whole thread I mean). It's unfair to pit a V-6 powered car against a 4 cylinder one (and a weak one at that)(the power was marginal in the 1st gen, the extra pounds of the 2nd gen just kind of pushed it over the top)(or should I say under).

I can get my MT jollies elsewhere, so the daily driver decision was a no brainer for me. Traffic is a valid reason for going the AT route, plus I was concerned (as always) about resale (my guess is that the "take" rate for used MT models is about the same as new). Of course my 05 was my wife's car to start with (she got the 07 when we bought another one, so I adopted the 05 to finish using it up)(which I've enjoyed doing), and I never guessed it would be around this long. But since it is, I'm even more glad that with 136K miles, I don't have an MT to worry about (and save the comments about the AT. Properly maintained, it's way more reliable than some on this site would like to admit).

All that said, I think the 4 cylinder AT combination would be more than adequate for the OP. Once he got used to driving it, I don't doubt he'd be more than satisfied (and I'll bet you he'd be thrilled with the car coming from an 05 Maxima).
when I am at my mom's I use her 08 accord with automatic. Lots of traffic in the Toms River area and I still prefer driving MT. As long as it offered my husband and I will be owning them. You keep driving what you like and I will do the same.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM
B A N N E D

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chim Chim,
Yes, the TSX 4 will feel weak compared to the VQV6 Maxima.

However, I think once you are acclimated to the TSX, you will find the car is plenty fast for driving on public roads.

There is always the V6 option for the TSX, but I'd recommend the 6-speed manual I4 combo TSX.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Instructor

you will be disappointed.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:11 PM
kgs
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know - I came from a MT 6 cyl BMW and have had no issues with my AT 4cyl TSX (chose AT due to commuting nightmare with a MT). Just the other day, I was making a right on red and inadvertently stomped on the gas pedal and my car shot out so quickly, it completely took me by surprise and I LOL壇. And when I commute, which is almost a full contact sport in my area, I have no problems keeping up with traffic or passing the idiot doing 55-60 in the left hand lane (everyone does 70-80 on the roads around me when not sitting in dead stopped traffic that is). I really don稚 get all the complaints about the lack of power in these cars, but I guess everyone has different qualifications.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Can't wait to drive

The TSX has enough power for me, I came from a 6MT 1st gen TSX and felt the power difference in the 5AT, but I got my new TSX for the gas savings and easier to drive in traffic, but if you like power in V6, there is no substitute, you need another V6.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
I drove the TSX with 5AT a number of times as service loaner, put around 100 km each time. It's actually fun to drive comparable to my 6MT model. Yes, the 6MT certainly gives more control and a bit quicker acceleration, but the 5AT is no slouch especially in S mode.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Intermediate

my last 2 cars were a 2005 pontiac grand prix gtp w/ comp g package with a 260 hp supercharged v6 and a 2008 pontiac g6 gtp with a 252 hp v6.

I can honestly say the I-4 auto TSX that i purchased is more then enough for my driving needs. Really the only time i find myself missing the v6 is when i switch lanes on the highway at speeds of 50 or more when i want that extra punch. Other then that merging and regular side street driving has been fine. I do find the I-4 louder and not a smooth as the v6 engine i have had.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Nissan ruined the Maxima, although I like the new styling in the white color for whatever reason. I really regret getting rid of my 2003 SE, although I don't miss the lack of a decent turning radius. The new ones are just way too big, and I am not a big fan of Altimas.

Bottom line, if you're looking for an economical sports-like/luxury midsize, the TSX i4 is a very good option. And believe me when I say the fun factor is definitely there, regardless of A/T or M/T.

If you look at my Cardomain page you'll see my Maxima and realize just how much the styling has really changed...
Old 02-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Racer

I came from a nissan VQ (270hp). The only advice I can give it go test drive one and rev it. Drive it on the side streets and really hit it on the highway. Honda's need to rev to feel the power. Definitely the opposite of the nissan. A friend and I took both a manual and auto TSX out for test drives when I bought mine, and I ended up getting the manual. The auto was OK, but it didn't excite me as much when I stepped on it. I was coming from a 6sp manual VQ. The feeling was just not adequate for me to go from a 6sp manual v6 to an auto 5sp 4cyl Honda. The manual is MUCH better if you're in a similar position.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Pro

Received 541 Likes on 238 Posts
When the car is full with 5 people, it feels very dragged out.The acceleration only feel slow if the car is full with 5 people. But most of the time there only 1 or 2 other person in the car and the car drives fine.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Instructor

The car feels pregnant with 5 people inside.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:33 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Originally Posted by 010tsxcbp
The car feels pregnant with 5 people inside.

Anyone would feel pregnant with 5 people inside them

Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

^ lmao
Old 02-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
And I'm sorry guys (and gals), but I don't think the MT owner/drivers really have the right to render an opinion on the merits of the AT model since they don't drive one ("test drives" don't count). Though it can take a little time, with some practice and experimentation, the AT can be quite entertaining (and I'd be more than happy to go up against an MT w/ my 136K mile 05 AT).
Why don't test drives count? It means one has experienced the car and knows what they're talking about. In addition to the test drive, I was given an auto as a loaner for a day. So is 24 hours with one enough experience for ya? For $30k, I don't want to to "take a little time, with some practice and experimenting" to make my car entertaining. For that kid of money, I expect the entertainment to begin as soon as I drive off the lot.

As long as everyone is happy with their choice, that's all that matters. The auto TSX is an 8 second car 0-60. That just won't cut it for me at this price range. The most common reason given for ordering the auto is traffic. But Europe has a lot of traffic too and there are few autos to be found there. No, the love of autos is a distinctly American thing...and I fear it will be the end of manuals here someday.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Advanced

Get the V6, its worth it! There are hardly any TSX's out there in the first place, but V6 TSX's are impossible to find. I love the V6 acceleration on the interstate (60+ still has a ton of power to give).

Quick Reply: 2nd Generation TSX I4 automatic acceleration