2011 TSX I4, Tech, 5spd Auto review after 10 days of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 TSX I4, Tech, 5spd Auto review after 10 days of ownership

So I picked up my 2011 TSX I4, Tech, 5spd AT 10 days ago. Here are my impressions:

1. Power: this was my major concern before buying this car, as I kept hearing how underpowered it was, 4 cyl, etc. So far I think the power is more than adequate for almost any driving condition other than perhaps a closed raceway. I've always been an admirer of VTEC engines, though I've never owned one before. This engine absolutely screams between 4000 and 7500 RPM. From 1000 to 4000 it's a bit sluggish, and I wish the tranny had a 6th gear to help it get going from a stop, but once it reaches 4000 rpm it's quite powerful...certainly in line with V6s in other cars. It's amazing how smooth it is at those high RPMs. The paddle shifters are an absolute must in my opinion, as the programming of the tranny does not keep the revs up as much as I'd like. S mode is a bit better, but I find it is reluctant to downshift when I slam on the pedal so I find myself using the paddle shifters to control the RPM range. I like how it lets you downshift in D mode manually when passing a car etc. and then goes back to D automatically. That's a nice touch! I'm sure a manual tranny would be even better, but I needed an auto because of my wife's lack of driving prowess.

Torque steer has not bothered me and I think the computer does a good job of controlling it.

I did not consider the V6 version because in my opinion at that price there are a lot of other cars that I would prefer.

2. Handling. The car feels lighter and more nimble than any I've driven in a long time. It's fun to throw into corners and it is very responsive. I've heard complaints about the steering, but I like it and find it true and responsive. The front end bounces around more than I would expect, though. I'm not sure if it's from soft shocks, or a light engine bay because of the smallish engine, but whatever the case I don't feel as though the front end is firmly planted on the ground. However, it takes turns as directed and there is no noticeable body roll. The OEM tires are adequate, though I think this car would be even better with Z rated performance tires, as impractical as they may be.

3. Styling: I've gotten a lot of comments on the car, and my wife likes the look of it. I happen to think it is the best looking car in Acura's lineup right now and fits in well along competitors from Japan and Europe.

4. Interior: Very nice and comfortable. Some of the hard plastics feel cheap, and the plastic door handle drives me nuts every time I exit the car, but you get what you pay for. The seats are supportive and comfortable, and the backseat is adequate for 3 kids. Very quiet too.

5. Technology: this is a mixed bag. Overall it's excellent. I've always thought Honda/Acura had the best nav systems, and I still do. Very intuitive, practical, and helpful. The voice recognition is surprisingly useful and well executed for the most part.

The iPod integration is good too overall, though there are some subtle interface issues that could be improved. The iPod voice search helps tremendously and is the only way to go in my opinion.

The bluetooth integration is OK, but not great. The phonebook import from my iPhone are all listed by first name, which is annoying. It also does not access my recent calls or missed calls from my iPhone, and I cannot listen to voicemail through the system either. Transferring calls from the iPhone to the car and vice/versa is inconsistent, but I don't have to do that very often so not a big deal. It's bewildering to me why the system can generate its own voice tags for the iPod function, but does not do so for the bluetooth phonebook. It's annoying to manually create voice tags for phone contacts, and once they are created it takes several steps to dial the number. So the voice dial is almost useless.

I cannot fathom why there is a HDD music system for which the only way to put music on it is from ripping a CD. Why can't I transfer from a USB?? The only rational explanation is digital rights management, so perhaps that is the explanation, yet it allows playing from a USB stick which should have the same issues. Considering I haven't bought an actual physical CD in 10 years I'm not likely to run out of space on the HDD any time soon.

Speaking of music, the stereo system is incredible and lives up to the hype. Definitely the best OEM music system I've ever heard. I don't have any DVD audio discs to play, so haven't experienced the full potential yet.

I almost feel guilty complaining about technology in this car, considering it has more computing power than a Supercomputer did 25 years ago. And in fairness the other cars I considered also had quirky technology issues that were even more maddening. I think Audi is on the right track with the modular technology systems they just announced (the entire computer/nav/music systems can be removed and upgraded) considering cars are designed about 4 years before they make it to market.

6. Value: This is a lot of car for the money. Even more impressive is the fuel economy. Despite my aggressive driving (4000-7000 rpm as much as possible) I've been getting 23mpg! That's amazing to me. I really feel this car is the ultimate balance in terms of performance, comfort, technology, and price.

So far I'm very happy with my decision!

So there's my $0.02 for you.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Excellent review, and I agree with most of your points (my '09 does not have an HDD). I am surprised that they did not improve the voice dialing. I really don't like having to confirm everything when I'm dialing a saved number.

Anyhow, congratulations and welcome to the family!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Very good sir very good. Top review. Hope you enjoy your time on the boards
Old 04-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
Thanks for the honest review. I have a 2011 I4 in transit, although, it is a non-Tech. Either way, on the test drive it definitely felt quicker and more nimble than the specs/stats would imply, and this is from someone coming from a torquey Nissan V6. I was still most impressed with the handling; the OEM set up is great as is, and I'm sure might be improved on with the right tweaks. I can't wait...
Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
very good review-
I was considering trading my 06 tsx for the 11 model. Was very disappointed they again did not offer any red with manual transmission. I have decided to keep my tsx awhile longer. It has 121,000+problem free miles.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Thanks for the honest review. I have a 2011 I4 in transit, although, it is a non-Tech. Either way, on the test drive it definitely felt quicker and more nimble than the specs/stats would imply, and this is from someone coming from a torquey Nissan V6. I was still most impressed with the handling; the OEM set up is great as is, and I'm sure might be improved on with the right tweaks. I can't wait...
You'll love it. No car is perfect, but for the price this one is close!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear the car came in and you are enjoying it!

I agree with you on the door handles...makes me mad every time I touch them. Especially, since the door handles in the gf's 2007 TSX are chrome/metal/whatever much nicer...

Last edited by baksdak; 04-14-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: comment
Old 04-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
Excellent review, and I agree with most of your points (my '09 does not have an HDD). I am surprised that they did not improve the voice dialing. I really don't like having to confirm everything when I'm dialing a saved number.

Anyhow, congratulations and welcome to the family!
I agree with the voice dialing. I search my imported phone book and then dial out that way. Much easier than the stupid voice dialing. I wish I could customize those buttons to something like mute.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Instructor

I just traded in my 06 TSX 6mt for an 11 TSX Base Auto and absolutely love it. One thing i like the most is how quiet it is inside the car now. I wouldn't say it's Lexus like but it's definitely a sizable improvement over the previous generation. Even for a Base model, i think the sound system is better than most cars out there. My mother has an 11 Lexus RX350 and the sound system in the 11 TSX sounds so much better. Also, i just recently found out that this car can downshift on "D" and that was a pleasant surprise. BTW, my dealer gave me $500 below invoice, AWESOME!
Old 05-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ACURA TSX'D
One thing i like the most is how quiet it is inside the car now. I wouldn't say it's Lexus like but it's definitely a sizable improvement over the previous generation.
I completely agree. I test drove an '06 TSX before deciding on my '09. It was a no-brainer as far as cabin noise.

Even for a Base model, i think the sound system is better than most cars out there. My mother has an 11 Lexus RX350 and the sound system in the 11 TSX sounds so much better.
Also agree that the stock stereo is far superior than most autos in our class.

BTW, my dealer gave me $500 below invoice, AWESOME!
That's awesome, especially considering the fact that most dealers are not honoring invoice or below-invoice prices due to the supply-chain situation overseas (which I think is BS). If you ask me, a dealer should be willing to move cars off the lot.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
great review
Old 05-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
good review. just curious what car did you come from?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kowloonsniperhk
good review. just curious what car did you come from?
Previous cars:

1981 Accord
1987 Accord LX
1993 Corolla
2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Manual
2002 Toyota Highlander
2004 Audi allroad 4.2 w/ tiptronic
2006 Suburban

So compared to the suburban, the TSX feels like a formula-1 car. And although I thought it would feel sluggish day-to-day compared to my 325hp V8 Audi allroad, in fact it does not. The TSX is lighter and more nimble, which is a different kind of fun. It's also quite a bit faster than the A4 I had.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
mmm V8 Audi.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kowloonsniperhk
mmm V8 Audi.
Yes, that is what it said at the gas pump: "mmmmmmmm" as it was slurping down octane. 10mpg. Worse than my suburban.

An absolutely fabulous car otherwise, though. Just expensive to own.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I have had my Sport Wagon for 14 days now and my thoughts are pretty much echo yours. I certainly don't mean to hijack the thread, but wanted to share my thoughts. My previous cars:

87 Acura Integra
92 Acura Integra
95 Acura Integra
03 VW Passat Wagon V6 with 4motion
07 Audi A4 2.0t quattro

Power and Handling - Coming from the A4, the TSX is absolutely nimble, though I certainly miss the torque and the feel of accelerating in an all wheel drive system. The Sequential Mode and paddles have for the most part made me forget about that. I too agree that OEM tires although they are sufficient, I have been considering replacing them.

Interior - This was one of the main reasons I made the move into the TSX. As a father of twin 4yr olds, the TSX Wagon has been amazing and has been very comfortable for me and the family. Even the wife has commented that I look more relaxed and comfortable driving the TSX. I always felt cramped in the A4 and always had a sore right knee from the lack of room. It's also great that I no longer need to move my seat forward anytime my son sits in his booster seat behind me. Fit and finish is great as well as road noise, though I don't think anything comes close to Audi in those departments. I am reminded of this every time I close the door in the TSX, but it really isn't a big deal for me as I love the light and eager feeling coming from the much lighter Acura. Oh, and the increase in mpg's is sure to be great.

Tech - I have the Tech Package and everything about it is leaps and bounds above the 07 A4. The Audi had a really good Nav system that used SD cards for 'portable' music. The Audi though, had no bluetooth, no HIDs, no memory seats, no power passenger seat, no homelink, no auto-dimming mirror, a smaller, lower resolution screen, no HDD, no iPod, none of the voice commands, etc. As an audiophile, the TSX does well and is more than ample for the ESPN radio I primarily listen to, in the Audi I had upgraded all the speakers with Hertz/Audison. The only thing I miss coming from the Audi is the audio display in the gauge cluster.

My Audi was a CPO that I had got less than 2yrs ago and for what I paid, I could of easily gotten a brand new base TSX. So value of the TSX, and especially of the Sport Wagon, is tremendous in my book. But hell, I had always wanted an A4 and I am sure I will have an Audi again. But at this point in my life, as a 31 year old with 2 kids and a wife, the TSX is the intelligent choice in my book. I will not be missing the $80 oil changes nor will I be ever scared to drive an Acura out of warranty. So after my affair with German Engineering, I have once again returned to my roots, I was raised in a Honda family, and own my 4th Acura.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:54 AM
He was speeding, Rusty!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammer97e
the TSX is the intelligent choice in my book.
My thoughts exactly. I've only had my sport wagon (The Family Truckster) since Saturday, but love it more each time I drive it! My next scheduled stop on Saturday was to test drive a 2011 A4 Avant Pemium w/ less than 3,000 miles, no nav and the asking price was still 2k more than the TSX SW w/ Tech. I never made it to the Audi dealer...

The car might not be a rocket ship, but the combination of engine and transmission seem perfect...shifts are smooth and crisp, passing on arterials or highways is smooth and easy!

I had my 2000 Tacoma (V6 SR5 TRD 4WD auto) for 11 happy years, here's to a long relationship with my new Acura!
Cheers
Old 05-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I almost bought a 2011 base TSX but they had a 09 with low miles and it had been on the lot for awhile so I got that for 8k less than the 11. I came from a TL which i liked and was a nice car but I really think that a FWD car is designed for a I4 engine. The torque in the front end of the TL really was annoying. I find that the TSX seems to hold back on the torque and I get to 70 pretty quick. I actually like the engine rev as I get there
Old 05-13-2011, 08:59 PM
5th Gear

Woa...reading these made me feel a bit better for getting the TSX.

Had a chance to get the WRX, but for the very same reason (wife and kids) settled down with TSX. WRX will have to wait for 4-5yrs later...
Old 05-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
I own a 03 TL and i love this car. It is very quiet, smooth, great on gas (28mpg) and its handling is great. Im guessing the current TSX V6 is very similar to the 3.2 TL as it has the same suspension, same family engine and almost the same size with the exception that the tsx now has honda's more rigid A.C.E. body structure which should improve handling. However the best thing about my TL is its steering; it has lots of feedback and its sharp and smooth. I hear the new TSX have electric steering which is numb and awkward.

anyway when my 3.2TL dies (knock on wood) im guessing i will be replacing it with a TSX V6 since there is no other car similar to the 3.2 TL that i can find.