2010 TSX has "one touch ignition key start". What's that?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 TSX has "one touch ignition key start". What's that?

I've seen that description in bunch of press releases for the new 2010 TSX v6. No one explains what it is? Anyone have an idea? is it just a fancy phrase for something unimpressive, or, is it some sort of keyless start and entry like the TL and RL?
Old 09-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it just means you turn the key to the "start" position and can let go without waiting for the engine to turn over...nothing really impressive here like keyless start...
Old 09-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Go Big Blue!

Aah yes. That makes sense. I didn't realize the TSX didn't have that. Thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Aah yes. That makes sense. I didn't realize the TSX didn't have that. Thanks
Yeah, it's kinda the same as the RL in that once you've passed a certain point, the computer takes over the starting procedure. The obvious difference is that the TSX uses a key.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Doesn't seem like it would take much to update that with a push-button start at the MMC because thats essentially the same technology.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
essentially. Its awesome that acrua is just now doing this.. considering toyota has been doin this on the majority of there models for countless number of years
Old 09-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
Doesn't seem like it would take much to update that with a push-button start at the MMC because thats essentially the same technology.
Agreed, They just have to 'want' to do it.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tishkevich
essentially. Its awesome that acrua is just now doing this.. considering toyota has been doin this on the majority of there models for countless number of years
So has Chrysler. They call theirs "tip start".
Old 09-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Colin
Agreed, They just have to 'want' to do it.
Acura seems to have no "want" in being on the leading edge dispite their "Advance" slogan. Something to be said about that to ensure reliable products at good value. But they often take it too far IMO. We're not expecting them to be on the bleeding edge, just don't be the last to the party on things. Acura is such an interesting case study. When my brother worked for Acura we used to have head scratching conversations about there business decisions all the time. Colin, I'm sure you have those type of back room discussions with your group all the time. They act like a person with a split-personality sometimes.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:54 PM
User with Skills

I don't understand people's fascination for push starts. No retail car company really did anything special here as dune buggies from the 80's did this as do most commercial trucks.

It's not advanced by any means i guess is what I'm trying to say. With or without this feature make little difference to me. If you're too lazy to turn your key to start your car, you really shouldn't be driving. IMO, i'm kinda sad to see honda/acura get rid of turnkey ignition as I prefer it over push start.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Go Big Blue!

^^ Spoken by a person who doesn't have keyless start and entry

Not having to reach into your pocket to unlock the door, lock the door, or start the car is a very nice benefit. It's one of those things that you don't want to live without once you've had it. It's just like electric windows or XM Radio, or automatic headlights, or memory seat settings, etc, etc, etc, You don't "need" any of them, but once you have them you appreciate it and don't want a car without it. Has nothing to do with being lazy. You're missing the point of "luxury" and "premier" features.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpicyMikey:
Acura_Dude (06-14-2011), GrigioTSX10 (06-14-2011)
Old 09-19-2009, 03:48 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I would think this feature would make the dealer installed remote start much easier (and less risk of technician error?)

There are times when I'd enjoy walking up and gaining entry without the fob & key. The auto start thing (particularly with a key) I could take it or leave it. The new TL style with no key makes more sense.

I cannot tell you how many times I've seen tire jockeys and valets try to break off the key in an S2000.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Go Big Blue!

Yes, it's the ability to start the car without ever having to reach in your pocket (or purse) for a key when your hands are full or you're already sitting down. Also, makes it a lot less likely you will misplace your keys since it never really comes out of your pocket. The push button start is irrelevent. That's not what makes the feature good.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
^^ Spoken by a person who doesn't have keyless start and entry

Not having to reach into your pocket to unlock the door, lock the door, or start the car is a very nice benefit. It's one of those things that you don't want to live without once you've had it. It's just like electric windows or XM Radio, or automatic headlights, or memory seat settings, etc, etc, etc, You don't "need" any of them, but once you have them you appreciate it and don't want a car without it. Has nothing to do with being lazy. You're missing the point of "luxury" and "premier" features.
I definitely agree. My nissan had keyless and one of my biggest pet peeves is that the TSX doesn't. I had to get used to taking the key out again. You'll never know how much more convenient it is until you have a car for a while that has one.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by katmai
I definitely agree. My nissan had keyless and one of my biggest pet peeves is that the TSX doesn't. I had to get used to taking the key out again. You'll never know how much more convenient it is until you have a car for a while that has one.
Agreed. My cousin has an Altima and for her it was the convenience of not having to use the key that made her like it. Just having the actual button is more of a wow factor that wears off quickly if anything. It seems like the main thing for most people is just the convenience.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by katmai
I just drove a rental Altima for 2 weeks, the ONLY thing I liked about it was the push button start and entry. Although it was a pain that you couldn't unlock from the passenger's door button, only lock.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by GrigioTSX10
I just drove a rental Altima for 2 weeks, the ONLY thing I liked about it was the push button start and entry. Although it was a pain that you couldn't unlock from the passenger's door button, only lock.
The Acura's equiped with the keyless start and entry are better than that. You can enter from either front door. Back doors handles do not have sensors.

Also, the most recent models are smart enough to know if you are entering from the drivers door or passenger door. That's important because if both you and your wife have a key fob on them (Key-1 and Key-2), and you are getting in the drivers side, and your wife grabs the handle first to unlock the door on the passenger side, you don't want the seat adjusting to her settings. My 07 RL has that problem and we have to be sure to wait for the driver to grab the door handle first. My 2010 TL doesn't have that issue.

Last edited by SpicyMikey; 06-14-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I like the one touch feature but could care less about the keyless push button. And that's spoken like a guy that has one of each. My wife has it on her Lexus and she gave me a lift to work one day. I drove there and forgot to give her the fob, she drove off and had to return once the system realized it was out of range. Pain in the ass.

Having said that, I think keyless is a great idea for a motorcycle. Like the Kawasaki Concours. Drove one around for a week and it is convenient to just hop on and drive without fishing for the key slot.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
I liked how my '05 RL operates with the FOB. Just slip it into your pocket and forgetaboutit. Of course Buick, of all companies, has the remote start by a phone app.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Other cars I've driven that have this feature within the last year:

2011 Infiniti G37x
2011 Toyota Yaris
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2010 Ford Fusion
2011 Nissan Altima
2010 Ford Focus

and yes, my 2010 TSX V6.

That being said, I experienced it first in my TSX last summer and realized it was really common after driving the other cars... especially the Yaris :P Its still handy because sometimes I fail starting my Ranger that does not have this feature.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ZildJonKim
I don't understand people's fascination for push starts.
+1. Glad someone said it...
Old 06-14-2011, 08:19 PM
10th Gear

My only experience with push button starts was on a 2011 Hyundai Sonata my parents recently purchased...as stated above it seemed to be that the best part was the walk up and get in feature, not pushing a button and holding it. Which incidentally seemed like it took longer than turning the key on my 2010 TSX.

On a related note...interesting for me to see that their mid-level Sonata had most of the luxury features that the TSX had for $6-8k less.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Theres quite a bit of security issues with the push start and keyless entry systems too. The signals can easily be intercepted.

And I like the one touch start on my TSX...never need to worry about over cranking in the winter. =)
Old 06-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
I have a '94 Dodge Ram and besides holding the starter, you have to hit the gas pedal to get it started. My wife after only driving Acura can never start the thing.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by b.ike
Theres quite a bit of security issues with the push start and keyless entry systems too. The signals can easily be intercepted.
I agree. Security is a real concern with keyless entry. While an enhanced conventional system uses a microchip supplemented with mechanical locks as an additional security measure, the keyless system relies solely on software for protection. With software the only obstacle between a thief and your car anyone with a laptop and the right program will soon be able to drive it away after about 20 minutes.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Um, this makes no sense considering my POS has failed to start at least 4 times. I attributed it to not holding the key to the start position long enough, but if it's supposed to be automatic, then WTF
Old 06-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Intermediate

yea push start is cool until the battery on your key fob dies and you cant get in the car. you have to slide that little key from the fob and open the car.... but wait can you start your car with the valet key??? NOPE...

I had G35 and did like the push start until a friend of mine with a lexus IS had that happened to him and ever since i was worried it would happen to me as well.

i actually like turning the key now that i am used to it.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotimer
yea push start is cool until the battery on your key fob dies and you cant get in the car. you have to slide that little key from the fob and open the car.... but wait can you start your car with the valet key??? NOPE...

I had G35 and did like the push start until a friend of mine with a lexus IS had that happened to him and ever since i was worried it would happen to me as well.

i actually like turning the key now that i am used to it.
it's foolproof actually (at least on the TL). if the battery goes out you can take out the valet key (on the fob) and open the door manually. then you insert the FOB into the dash area and you can start it even if it's out of battery. the fob can be completely out of battery and you will have no problems. my wife loves it because she puts the fob in her purse and never has to take it out (ya she loves taking my car out all the time, shouldnt have taught her how to drive stick )