2010 Acura TSX Debut

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I sure hope someone is thinking of an Acura version of the new Insight! Especially since the diesel appears to be stillborn.
Maybe with K20 from Si + HCH's IMA. 220hp sounds good to me
Old 01-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Banned

The Insight is a silly little car. I'm very confident that there will be no dedicated hybrid Acura model but that one or more ordinary models will have a hybrid version available. The TSX/JDM Accord is a good choice as the smallest car on the lot and sold in Europe at the same time where they prize fuel efficiency, but GM made a hybrid Escalade of all things so anything is possible. It's all for show anyway.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wackura
The Insight is a silly little car. I'm very confident that there will be no dedicated hybrid Acura model but that one or more ordinary models will have a hybrid version available. The TSX/JDM Accord is a good choice as the smallest car on the lot and sold in Europe at the same time where they prize fuel efficiency, but GM made a hybrid Escalade of all things so anything is possible. It's all for show anyway.
Lol, the Escalade Hybrid makes no sense, but I think they're selling pretty well (all things considered). A TSX hybrid would be interesting, but the TSX is pretty heavy. But even so it may be able to match the chunky HS250's highway mileage.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Banned

I'm not convinced that luxury car buyers choosing between competing hybrids care which gets better mileage. I think they only care that it's a hybrid and has the sticker to prove. They want hybrid like they want two cup holders.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I'm very confident that there will be no dedicated hybrid Acura model but that one or more ordinary models will have a hybrid version available. ....It's all for show anyway.
I think you're right as they have said in the past no hybrids for Acura, However, times are 'a changin' and they might reevaluate this policy. IMO they should NOT do a hybrid with an existing model. This only causes people to compare the gas vs. hybrid and make all kinds of cases against the hybrid. If they do it, it needs to be a stand alone model.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Banned

It might seem silly but it's happening a lot. Ford, Honda, Toyota and GM and others I'm probably not aware of have hybrid versions of non-hybrid cars.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:59 AM
Suzuka Master

It might seem silly but it's happening a lot. Ford, Honda, Toyota and GM and others I'm probably not aware of have hybrid versions of non-hybrid cars.
This is correct, and I think the reason for the tepid reaction is that the math doesn't work out. The Prius and now Insight model should work because they can hide from a direct comparison.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Just to be clear, the people I'm talking about are the ones that are constantly looking for an argument so they can tout how superior their car is to ours. They usually show up in groups and are... not very intelligent.

That attitude is not very prevalent over here but is rampant in the TL and CL sections. It's always about engine size with those guys. This neck of the woods is a lot more sedate overall.
No problem, and I know what you mean. The TSX is a driver's car with a European-spec engine. The forthcoming V6 will add an American-spec engine to an already-great drivers car. Hopefully the SH-AWD drivetrain and 6MT will follow.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Colin
Again, heart vs. head. FWD + V6 didn't stop the TL from selling 70K a year at its peak. I say, keep the price in line, give us a smooth, quiet car now, and we can 'spice it up' when the market is ready to have fun again.
If I were Acura, I would only offer the 6MT with the largest engine (just like last year's TL-S). Even though the current 6MT TSX is a brilliant combination, I think Acura would be better off profit-wise focusing 6MT on the high end car. It's easy to force enthusiasts into a high-margin car, since that trim is a niche no matter what.

Despite what others say (and maybe they're referring to the 5AT), my 2005 TL 6MT has some crazy torque steer in the first 3 gears. I've driven a 6MT Type-S, and it's no better. The "software" just reduces torque in 1 and 2, a move that really just masks the issue. If you're buying a 6MT you certainly want maximum performance, and this software does the opposite. Another FWD 6MT with gobs of torque steer is a terrible idea.

For SH-AWD, I think this is an opportunity to spread the cost of both the SH-AWD and 6MT development costs. I'm partially biased since I want both, but I honestly think it makes business sense to try to recoup development costs with as many vehicles as possible.

I think Acura could safely follow the TL's trim packages, as follows:

Base I4 FWD 5AT
Tech I4 FWD 5AT
Base V6 SH-AWD 5AT
Tech V6 SH-AWD 5AT
Tech V6 SH-AWD 6MT (please God make this car)

There's a shot you could eliminate the Base SH-AWD car and force the tech package, but that might create too big of a price spread.

All that said, since Japanese exports are getting killed by Yen exchange rates, who knows what'll happen. I can't imagine Acura would start manufacturing TSXs in the USA, but stranger things have happened.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 2002Dawg
No problem, and I know what you mean. The TSX is a driver's car with a European-spec engine. The forthcoming V6 will add an American-spec engine to an already-great drivers car. Hopefully the SH-AWD drivetrain and 6MT will follow.
Some people, like me, appreciate the features of the TL but feel that the TSX is a much better size. I don't think that the extra nine inches that the TL has over the TSX is used particularly efficiently. I currently have a 1st gen Mazda 6, which has nearly identical dimensions to those of the TSX, that I consider to be a nearly perfect sized sedan. However, I do wish that TSX could go on a diet, as it is nearly 400 lbs. heavier than my current vehicle.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JD23
Some people, like me, appreciate the features of the TL but feel that the TSX is a much better size. I don't think that the extra nine inches that the TL has over the TSX is used particularly efficiently. I currently have a 1st gen Mazda 6, which has nearly identical dimensions to those of the TSX, that I consider to be a nearly perfect sized sedan. However, I do wish that TSX could go on a diet, as it is nearly 400 lbs. heavier than my current vehicle.
I'm with ya there. I will never have a car without HandsFreeLink again (something the TSX didn't have when I was shopping for my car). I also desperately needed every extra inch because of our little one's rear facing child seat. That said, I think the 2G TSX is really the perfect size for me once we're out of child seat land.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumryan
Does anyone have an Idea when the 2010 Acura TSX will debut in the United States? I'm negotiating a price with a Dealer & He informed me that the 0.9 and 2.9% apr financing will end February 2nd, 2009. We wont purchase until Early May.... I told him that the 2010 Model should be on the Market by then & that there would most likely be more deals on the 09's. As in rebates, etc. Am I correct?
There are problems with the 2009 TSX (relatively minor, now that it seems likely an ECU firmware update will fix the post-combustion detonation (dieseling) sound from the engine), so I'd personally advise you to look for a low-mileage, CPO 2008 TSX ... or wait until the 2010 is on the lots and see if you can get a better deal on a 2009.

Dunno what the interest rates will be, but if you listen to the news, getting a great rate if you're qualified shouldnt be a time-senstive opportunity. I.e., great rates are not going to go "poof!" right a way.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
A fully loaded USDM Accord with a V6 is only $31,000. The V6 equipped 3G TL was $35,000. It's highly unlikely they could find any excuse to make a TSX cost more than $40,000. Even painted with gold leaf it would come in under $40,000.
Key word here is USDM. Once you optioned EuroAccord like RL. The price difference is only $10K. so ur looking at $43K 4cylinder Car. Even strip down tech package V6 TSX will be closer to $40K. and its volume is so low compared to 3G TL. that there is no justification of subsidizing it. V6 EuroAccord have no future beyond US market.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Key word here is USDM. Once you optioned EuroAccord like RL. The price difference is only $10K. so ur looking at $43K 4cylinder Car. Even strip down tech package V6 TSX will be closer to $40K. and its volume is so low compared to 3G TL. that there is no justification of subsidizing it. V6 EuroAccord have no future beyond US market.
Why the TSX be optioned like the RL whatever that means? That doesn't make any sense.

Who said Europeans don't apreciate a nice V6/I6? Many BMWs come equiped with I6 engines. Are you saying Acura should make it a point to not make a car as fast as a BMW? Have you created an account at the Lexus forums yet?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Instructor

They won't stop making V6 cars, they might not sell as well but there will still be demand, and luxury brands will be the last ones to give in. Many people who buy luxury cars aren't bothered by high gas prices even if it costs $100 to fill up the tank. The real question is will Acrua keep up with Lexus or won't it. They should offer a V6 TSX in spite of the TL because the TSX is smaller and sportier. And the TL is fugly. It wouldn't bother me a bit if they just killed it altogether.

If I were to make a serious wager though, I'm willing to bet they will do away with the different USDM/JDM Accords in the next cycle and go back to a single car because the TSX is relatively large now, and this would mean no more TSX. It would be intersting to see what they do instead. I have a feeling I wouldn't be a buyer though.
Since I drive 25K/year, I wanted a responsive/premium vehicle that would deliver good milage. I also think the European spec 3rd gen will make it to the US. Honda/Acura will need the smaller vehicle for CAFE and they need it in Europe and rest of world for the smaller streets.

Most importantly, it is time for reality. . . Current CAFE calls for an increase of 27.5 mpg to 31.6 MPG by 2015, starting in 2011 with 4.5% increases thereafter. By 2020 it has to be at 35 mpg. Here is the kicker, Obama just signed today that states have the ability to demand their own tail pipe emisions, California is on record to demand stricter emisions, which can only be achieved through higher MPG in todays alternatives (since all electric is not a high volume feasiblity). California's current plan kicks in for 2016 that would require a net 43.7 MPG. 13 other states have stated they will side with California.

Honda will not risk introducing a V-6 in their highest MPG car and risk damaging the brand on having extra vehicles on the floor that will bring little demand. Look for the hybrids to come or some form of supercharging/turbocharging on a lower displacement 4 cylinder.

The bigger displacement engine theory is dead for the higher volume cars, the automakers have no choice in the US to conform. It is not what the market wants, it is want the regulation requires.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Banned

Strictly talking about the Honda car lot I sort of agree, but Acuras are luxury cars. A lot of people are left with a bad taste in their mouth over the fact that any luxury car has an I4 to begin with. You can't tell me Acura is going to stock it's lots with gutless rice burners and get away with it. Nobody else will either, you will see more silly things like hybrid Escalades, something that saves a few drops of gas for show. Also those laws won't take effect for a while yet. People will enjoy their V6s and V8s up until the minute they're outlawed, and that will be reflected in luxury car sales.

Last edited by wackura; 01-26-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:27 PM
'08 CU2 Honda Accord Euro

Originally Posted by 09TSXMN
California is on record to demand stricter emisions, which can only be achieved through higher MPG in todays alternatives (since all electric is not a high volume feasiblity). California's current plan kicks in for 2016 that would require a net 43.7 MPG. 13 other states have stated they will side with California.
I got sick when I went to L.A. 2 months ago, soooo much smog. They have to do something, that place is a slum.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2002Dawg
If I were Acura, I would only offer the 6MT with the largest engine (just like last year's TL-S). Even though the current 6MT TSX is a brilliant combination, I think Acura would be better off profit-wise focusing 6MT on the high end car. It's easy to force enthusiasts into a high-margin car, since that trim is a niche no matter what.

Despite what others say (and maybe they're referring to the 5AT), my 2005 TL 6MT has some crazy torque steer in the first 3 gears. I've driven a 6MT Type-S, and it's no better. The "software" just reduces torque in 1 and 2, a move that really just masks the issue. If you're buying a 6MT you certainly want maximum performance, and this software does the opposite. Another FWD 6MT with gobs of torque steer is a terrible idea.

For SH-AWD, I think this is an opportunity to spread the cost of both the SH-AWD and 6MT development costs. I'm partially biased since I want both, but I honestly think it makes business sense to try to recoup development costs with as many vehicles as possible.

I think Acura could safely follow the TL's trim packages, as follows:

Base I4 FWD 5AT
Tech I4 FWD 5AT
Base V6 SH-AWD 5AT
Tech V6 SH-AWD 5AT
Tech V6 SH-AWD 6MT (please God make this car)

There's a shot you could eliminate the Base SH-AWD car and force the tech package, but that might create too big of a price spread.

All that said, since Japanese exports are getting killed by Yen exchange rates, who knows what'll happen. I can't imagine Acura would start manufacturing TSXs in the USA, but stranger things have happened.
I would take the Tech V6 SH-AWD 5AT or maybe follow Infiniti's suit and make it 7AT . I hope they won't start manufacturing TSXs in the USA. I like the fact that it's a Made in Japan. Maybe Honda can start also making Accords from the Swindon, England factory as well.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by [R]isque'
I got sick when I went to L.A. 2 months ago, soooo much smog. They have to do something, that place is a slum.
In a city like LA, the exhaust coming out of a Civic tailpipe is cleaner than the air that went in. If everyone drove a Honda, they could clean the air!