2009 TSX auto vs manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 TSX auto vs manual

Hi everyone,

I searched for this so don't flame me by saying search for this subject because i didn't see much out there comparing the two. If any of you have any experience with the 6MT compared to the auto please chime in.

I have an 09 auto but I was think of switching to a 6MT but in the MPLS area they are hard to find and they are expensive. So far it would cost me about 3K to change over and I am not sure that is worth it.

I had a 2007 TSX Manual and I liked it although trucking the kids around with the manual can get annoying as once in awhile I need to give them their books or dropped blanket, etc. But I miss the control over the car that a manual gives you.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
IMHO, you drive a MT and ride in an AUTO. I still have a blast getting my manual 1997 Accord Coupe in the VTEC range in all of the gears. 270K and still the original clutch... I defy an auto to have a record like that.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, you're right, an auto will never go 270K on the original clutch! Oh, wait... Just kidding! But you make a good point that these engines were designed to rev, which is not something the auto lets it do much.

Auto works for me - I just want to chill out and cruise down the road.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
It's a night and day difference; totally different type of drive. Highly recommend the 6MT 2nd gen. Arguably one of the best manual sedans on the market in its class.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I won't be able to get another car with an automatic transmission ever. I hate how you can't control the gears and how the freakin gears in an auto keep changing when you don't want them to.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:32 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
^ +1. my next car will be a manual, idk how to drive one now, but i'll learn it just so i can experience that "fun"
Old 07-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. I like just cruising sometimes but when I want to really drive I want the MT so I am torn. The paddles will allow me to control it a little better but they just seem like a gimmick to me. I'm getting kinda low balled on the trade too. My 09 has about 5k more miles that the one with the MT and they want me to pay 3k more to trade them
Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by scottyrocket53
Thanks for the feedback. I like just cruising sometimes but when I want to really drive I want the MT so I am torn. The paddles will allow me to control it a little better but they just seem like a gimmick to me. I'm getting kinda low balled on the trade too. My 09 has about 5k more miles that the one with the MT and they want me to pay 3k more to trade them
How about trying to privately sell your car and then purchasing the MT. I dunno, $3k does seem excessive to trade for the same car in a MT.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No comparison for fun & enjoyment with 6MT IMHO

Originally Posted by scottyrocket53
If any of you have any experience with the 6MT compared to the auto please chime in....
My thoughts are based on my fairly extensive efforts 2 years when I bought my 2009 6MT. (Note: I've had numerous manuals over the years, so am going to be biased toward a manual)

I was initially looking for a TL S (used) and saw the new style (gen2) TSX in the showroom and really liked it (kinda looked like the previouis gen TLs).

All the dealer had was auto. Test drove it a few times and it was nice but felt "muted". One of the other dealers in town had the 6MT and after driving it was completely hooked.

This car with the 4 cylinder and 6MT are a perfect match. The gearbox is absolutely the best I have ever had. Having the manual to have complete control over the RPMs (up and down) is fantastic and fun... love cranking it occassionally toward 7K on each of the first couple of gears...

In your situation, you have a 09 auto... I think switching it out for a 09 manual at $3K is a bit steep... Might be smarter waiting the Japanese supply to recover in the back half of this year or even wait for the '12 and then get a manual... that way, you get the manual you want and a car a few years younger.

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Burning Brakes

^ great post. To the OP: let me just say that I don't drive more than 5k miles/yr, but I wish I drove more, simply because the TSX in a 6MT is an absolute joy to drive. I am literally always looking for an excuse to drive somewhere.

In the meantime, I'm more than happy to make my hefty car payments on a car like this, because I know that years from now, it will still be a desirable car, and will drive the same it did since the day I drove it off the lot.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
The 6MT is a lot fun to drive.

I still have a grin everyday driving the car, even after 3 years and 55K+ miles.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:16 AM
10th Gear

I can understand MT is more fun to drive, but somebody who wants an Auto that is fun also, isn't the TSX paddle shifters more than sufficient? Surprised nobody mentioned it....

It pretty much gives you full control of the gears, no?
Old 07-04-2011, 07:52 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
next car-manual-keep the automatic.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by cb1021
I can understand MT is more fun to drive, but somebody who wants an Auto that is fun also, isn't the TSX paddle shifters more than sufficient? Surprised nobody mentioned it....

I have owned a manual car for many years and went with the Auto this time around, and I *sometimes* wish I did go with the Manual instead because I know the car would be that much more fun to drive. However, traffic here in Philly is a total nightmare and I live in an extremely urban environment where I literally have a stop sign or red light every few feet, so how often would I get to use that performance anyway?!?

So...to keep it brief and so that I don't ramble lol, the Auto does a fine job I feel and it is nice to be able to just kick back and cruise, and not deal with the constant shifting in traffic. When I do feel like shifting, I actually find the paddle shifters to be a decent compromise. Perfect? No, but definitely good enough for when I feel like shifting myself and having a little fun.

*Not to mention the Auto actually has slightly better MPG numbers than the Manual. However, I am sure you could probably squeeze the same (if not slightly more) out of the Manual if you really wanted to.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Of the 15 cars I've had, my 2001 TSX is the only auto tranny I've ever owned. Being in my mid 30's it was time for a change, and honestly this car doesn't have the power or characteristics that (IMHO) demand having a manual transmission. And honestly, the car in S mode with the paddles does a great job when you do want to get into it a little... holds past redline, shifts pretty fast, and shifts when you tell it to. It's actually a decent amount of fun.

I'm not saying that the 6spd isn't more fun, it is. But I look at it like this (and this is for my lifestyle only) - 98% of the time I wanted comfort and no-nonsense. The auto gives me that. For the 2% of the time I want the car to feel sporty, I drop it into S and use the paddles. Searching until the end of time for a 2011 MT, waiting, paying more, and buying a car that fit a little better into the 2% sporty portion of my life and killed the 98% comfort portion just didn't work for me. But I'm getting old, and it's really all in what you want.

Cliff notes - the TSX is not a sports car. The auto in S mode is a actually fun. Buy what makes you happy for your lifestyle.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tobey457
Cliff notes - the TSX is not a sports car. The auto in S mode is a actually fun. Buy what makes you happy for your lifestyle.
Technically, you could argue that the TSX is a sports sedan... The ride is rougher than most sedans on the market in its class.
The following users liked this post:
MCDavis (07-07-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 02:15 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tobey457
Of the 15 cars I've had, my 2001 TSX is the only auto tranny I've ever owned. Being in my mid 30's it was time for a change, and honestly this car doesn't have the power or characteristics that (IMHO) demand having a manual transmission. And honestly, the car in S mode with the paddles does a great job when you do want to get into it a little... holds past redline, shifts pretty fast, and shifts when you tell it to. It's actually a decent amount of fun.

I'm not saying that the 6spd isn't more fun, it is. But I look at it like this (and this is for my lifestyle only) - 98% of the time I wanted comfort and no-nonsense. The auto gives me that. For the 2% of the time I want the car to feel sporty, I drop it into S and use the paddles. Searching until the end of time for a 2011 MT, waiting, paying more, and buying a car that fit a little better into the 2% sporty portion of my life and killed the 98% comfort portion just didn't work for me. But I'm getting old, and it's really all in what you want.

For me, it's not even about the sportiness of a car. I just want to have full control. I had 2010 TSX auto loaner and after experiencing the unwanted shifts and stuff like that, I don't think I could ever go back to a manual. I am still young though, so my mind might change over time, but I really doubt it. I live in LA and drive through traffic all the time, but still have not regretted getting a manual transmission. Just my opinion.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Advanced

Thanks for all the response and it does come down to preference. funny how you don't see a lot of manual drivers saying that they regret the choice of getting the manual. I'm just not sure of driving a manual for the next 7 years as I keep the car.

I have looked at selling on my own but with the sales tax difference between trade and selling on my own plus the hassle of people calling me all the time it just seems like a wash
Old 07-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
the manual is obviously a better choice of transmission no question...because it is a better transmission! rest is all up to you
Old 07-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cb1021

Control of the gears isn't the issue - it's the huge difference in overall speed and passing ability. The TSX doesn't hit its full 201 horsepower until about 7000 rpm. I don't think the auto is going to let you get there before forcing an upshift, even with the paddle shifters. The manual will take you there every time if you want.

Look at it this way: The manual gets you a lot more performance over the auto for no extra money. The auto is a somewhat outdated 5 speed that takes 8.5 seconds to hit 60. That performance is competitive with a Ford Focus(!). The manual gets you there in 7-7.5 seconds. Drive them back-to-back on a test drive as I did and it's like driving a totally different car. I wonder how many of those who chose the auto actually test drove a manual that same day to experience the vast difference. I drive in a lot of traffic to given my metro NYC location, and there's still no amount of traffic that would have made me choose this car without a manual. If circumstances forced me to have an auto TSX, I would have definitely sprung for the V6. I need speed.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
If you have been driving an auto already, then why dont you know that the auto goes to 7200rpm???
If I drive with S-Mode and paddles I put in the next gear at almost 7400 ?
For sure the manual goes a little better, but with auto on S-Mode or Kickdown you dont even recognize that you are shifting, here I dont loose any speed! I have been driving manuals 25 years, and never been shifting so fast as the auto does. Big Minus is at the start, till I get to 4000rpm the manual is two car lenght in front.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HondoGermany
Big Minus is at the start, till I get to 4000rpm the manual is two car lenght in front.
Well...yeah... isn't that the point of a 6MT?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HondoGermany
If you have been driving an auto already, then why dont you know that the auto goes to 7200rpm???
If I drive with S-Mode and paddles I put in the next gear at almost 7400 ?
For sure the manual goes a little better, but with auto on S-Mode or Kickdown you dont even recognize that you are shifting, here I dont loose any speed! I have been driving manuals 25 years, and never been shifting so fast as the auto does. Big Minus is at the start, till I get to 4000rpm the manual is two car lenght in front.
Perhaps the Euro market has different powertrains, but no one is hitting 7200 and definitely not 7400 rpm in a factory spec Acura TSX. The K24Z3 engine found in the North American market Acura TSX has a rev-limiter enforced 7100 rpm redline with either the manual or auto transmission.

I don't know if the auto TSX even lets you get to 7100 rpm before enforcing an upshift, even in Sport mode. But even if it does, the guy with a manual TSX is long gone in a 1/4 mile drag race before the driver with an auto gets there.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

A 6 speed auto would alleviate this problem. There isn't any excuse as to why the 2012 won't have it. Fricken' Elantras, Cruzes, and Jettas have 6 speed auto.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I've had 12 two and four wheeled vehicles with manuals over the years, all but one being a Honda product of one form or another. IMHO they make absolutely the finest shifter and transmission package in production. Audi is a damn close second but not BMW. I think anyone that spends some time with a Honda gear box and has the opportunity to drive a BMW would agree. It feels like your rowing a boat.

Anyway, having said all that I bought a V6 auto and haven't regretted it. The paddles are no gimmick. It's nice to be able to snap a quick downshift entering an off ramp and then let the auto take over again. BTW, when in S mode the auto doesn't force upshifts, it bounces against the rev limiter. With the exception of a 6th gear, you can work the powerband pretty much the way you can with the standard...but if they made the V6 with a 6 spd I would've got it.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
only down side with 6 speed is 3rd gear problems...

other wise the extra gear allows more close ratios improving acceleration. auto gears are wide, on 4th gear tranny runs out of steam on the 5AT.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig-D
Control of the gears isn't the issue - it's the huge difference in overall speed and passing ability. The TSX doesn't hit its full 201 horsepower until about 7000 rpm. I don't think the auto is going to let you get there before forcing an upshift, even with the paddle shifters. The manual will take you there every time if you want.

Look at it this way: The manual gets you a lot more performance over the auto for no extra money. The auto is a somewhat outdated 5 speed that takes 8.5 seconds to hit 60. That performance is competitive with a Ford Focus(!). The manual gets you there in 7-7.5 seconds. Drive them back-to-back on a test drive as I did and it's like driving a totally different car. I wonder how many of those who chose the auto actually test drove a manual that same day to experience the vast difference. I drive in a lot of traffic to given my metro NYC location, and there's still no amount of traffic that would have made me choose this car without a manual. If circumstances forced me to have an auto TSX, I would have definitely sprung for the V6. I need speed.
the problems is that 5speed auto has alot more power in daily driving than 6speed manual. no one drives at redline. Ford Focus is way slower in real life driving.you will consistany need red line to provide any decent performance from Ford Focus thats why it only got 21mpg in C&D comparision test.
look at rpm and speed and than consider fuel economy at that speeds.
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/p...5/CIMG0406.jpg
Old 07-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kronos595
A 6 speed auto would alleviate this problem. There isn't any excuse as to why the 2012 won't have it. Fricken' Elantras, Cruzes, and Jettas have 6 speed auto.
Six Speed auto will not solve TSX performance as TSX engine lacks torque.
See RDX with only 240bhp and 5speed Auto can outran Hyundai Sonata turbo
Six Speed Auto is good for V6 but not for I4 in current form.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:42 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Six Speed auto will not solve TSX performance as TSX engine lacks torque.
See RDX with only 240bhp and 5speed Auto can outran Hyundai Sonata turbo
Six Speed Auto is good for V6 but not for I4 in current form.
First off, I don't buy that. Give me some proof in numbers. That is also an apples and oranges argument. If the TSX hasd the 240 turbo, then the 5 speed wouldn't be as slow...obviously. I don't see the NA 2.4 ever having a ton of torque though, even if more power is squeezed. I'd be willing to bet that at least a half second or more is shaved off the 0-60 of a 6 speed auto TSX 2.4.

And car and driver disagrees with your Hyundai/RDX assessment.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Old 07-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Safety Car

First off, I don't buy that. Give me some proof in numbers. That is also an apples and oranges argument. If the TSX hasd the 240 turbo, then the 5 speed wouldn't be as slow...obviously. I don't see the NA 2.4 ever having a ton of torque though, even if more power is squeezed. I'd be willing to bet that at least a half second or more is shaved off the 0-60 of a 6 speed auto TSX 2.4.

And car and driver disagrees with your Hyundai/RDX assessment.

TSX auto has paddle shifters. you dont need 6speed to improve 0-60 timing by much. I went all the way to 100mph in 3rd.

RDX need turbo as it is tall heavy vehicle.

If RDX AWD cutdown time from by 0.3sec. it is more than likely that FWD RDX will do the same with 0-60 timing. So RDX FWD is faster than Sonata once miles are put on RDX engine.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...d_raves_page_3
In addition to trouble-free operation, the RDX also picked up its pace as the miles accumulated. In our initial track test, with 1540 miles on the odo, the RDX clocked 0 to 60 in 6.7 seconds and ran the quarter-mile in 15.3 seconds at 91 mph. With 38,936 miles, it got to 60 in 6.4 seconds and hit the quarter-mile line in 15.1 at 92 mph. Acceleration of many of our long-term test cars improves with age, but the RDX improved more than most.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
TSX auto has paddle shifters. you dont need 6speed to improve 0-60 timing by much. I went all the way to 100mph in 3rd.

RDX need turbo as it is tall heavy vehicle.

If RDX AWD cutdown time from by 0.3sec. it is more than likely that FWD RDX will do the same with 0-60 timing. So RDX FWD is faster than Sonata once miles are put on RDX engine.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...d_raves_page_3
In addition to trouble-free operation, the RDX also picked up its pace as the miles accumulated. In our initial track test, with 1540 miles on the odo, the RDX clocked 0 to 60 in 6.7 seconds and ran the quarter-mile in 15.3 seconds at 91 mph. With 38,936 miles, it got to 60 in 6.4 seconds and hit the quarter-mile line in 15.1 at 92 mph. Acceleration of many of our long-term test cars improves with age, but the RDX improved more than most.

Adding extra gears puts the power down quicker. Go and read basically any article about the 2012 TL, and you'll see how much the reviewers love the new 6 speed auto. The RDX is still an apples and oranges discussion either way. What you really should have compared the TSX to is the NA base Sonata engine which many get in the early to mid 7's 0-60. It has roughly the same horsepower as the tsx (198) with a tad more torque (184). But I guarantee you the 6 gears in that car makes a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8FOpDZM8BI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-1iPwYJIc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR9C0...eature=related

You can use the online stop watch to test it for yourself.

http://stopwatch.onlineclock.net/

And those launches were just the pedal mashed to the floor without any proper launch.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig-D
Perhaps the Euro market has different powertrains, but no one is hitting 7200 and definitely not 7400 rpm in a factory spec Acura TSX. The K24Z3 engine found in the North American market Acura TSX has a rev-limiter enforced 7100 rpm redline with either the manual or auto transmission.

I don't know if the auto TSX even lets you get to 7100 rpm before enforcing an upshift, even in Sport mode. But even if it does, the guy with a manual TSX is long gone in a 1/4 mile drag race before the driver with an auto gets there.
Today on the Autobahn! My shiftpoint is at 7400rpm in S-Mode. If I accelerate hard then I try to shift between 7100 and 7300. In my video I´m at 7400rpm when the limiter hits me. No prob.
I have to correct me. In AutoMode the limiter is at 7000rpm not at 7200 like I wrote some posts above.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X85ASaa5Z1g
Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
^ that's awesome hondo! wish i can try that in the states :p
Old 07-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Safety Car

Adding extra gears puts the power down quicker. Go and read basically any article about the 2012 TL, and you'll see how much the reviewers love the new 6 speed auto. The RDX is still an apples and oranges discussion either way. What you really should have compared the TSX to is the NA base Sonata engine which many get in the early to mid 7's 0-60. It has roughly the same horsepower as the tsx (198) with a tad more torque (184). But I guarantee you the 6 gears in that car makes a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8FOpDZM8BI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-1iPwYJIc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR9C0...eature=related

You can use the online stop watch to test it for yourself.

http://stopwatch.onlineclock.net/

And those launches were just the pedal mashed to the floor without any proper launch.
It is not 7.2 sec. I used by Cell stop watch it is minimum 7.7 second. begin counting the moment speedo moves.
I am pretty sure my TSX is going to beat this time. 0-60 is old way measuring speed. try 0-100mph. and see how big is the difference.
2008 Honda Accord Auto can do the same 7.5sec. so whats the point of 6speed, DI and lighter weight.?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsnK9...eature=related
Old 07-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
For everyone comparing the published MT times to the AT times - you have to remember that these times are the results of multiple passes, made by people who drive cars for a living, on a closed course, and they publish the best numbers. And for those published times, we're talking about a difference of ~1 second. That 1 second can be attributed to one of any number of different conditions during the tests, but let's just assume there really is a 1 second difference between the two.

In the real world, 99% of the time, you're not driving in a situation that allows you to push your car to realize that 1 second difference. Not only that, but you're not capable of driving your car to that level in the real world. It's a low displacement engine with a high-strung powerband, unless you are driving at 99% all the time, you're just not going to see the difference everyone is squaking about. Argue all you want...
Old 07-09-2011, 10:13 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If any of you have any experience with the 6MT compared to the auto please chime in.
I have a 2010 6MT and my kid has a 2010 auto. So, I have driven auto many many times. I love to drive a manual. However, I think the paddle shift is pretty good for what it is. Better than most cars I've driven. Like most people that posted this is not my first car with an MT. The clutch and shifter are a shear joy! By far better than any other car I've owned or driven. The only thing I don't like about the 6mt is 6th gear. It could have been a lot taller for highway driving. Absolutely, kills hwy gas mileage (28 mpg @~70) and makes the car a little buzzy. In city driving with an identical commute the 6 mt gets ~4 mpg more then my kids auto. my 2 cents
Old 07-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Burning Brakes

^ all good points. I live and work within city limits so admittedly, I don't even get a chance to throw it into 6th that much. I will attest to the fun factor in the lower gears though. Lots of windy roads around here that make it a an absolute joy on hills and curves...

What do you mean by "it could have been a lot taller"?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:16 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A taller or numerically lower gear ratio for 6th would have allowed the motor to turn less rpm. Which would have made the car a little more enjoyable to drive on longer trips (less engine noise) as well as get better mpg.