1st gen vs 2nd gen comparo

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1st gen vs 2nd gen comparo

Traded in my leased 07' White Auto TSX for a '10 White Auto TSX non-tech and notice a few vast differences.

1)low speed steering sucks compared to 1st gen IMO
2)This car is huge compared to the last one
3)Way better stereo
4)less power down low, more in the mid-upper (different cam profile) Slower over all feel of car.
5)Better Leather (U guys feel how soft that is?!)
6)XM stations change slow as hell now
7)Interior design is better IMO
8)Handles corners better
9)The seats kick ass
10)I can't see shit backing up! (non-tech), but I love how when u put it in reverse the passenger mirror dives down to see the curb
11)DRL's are meh
12)Buttons on steering wheel are too small now
13)paddle shifters are gimmicky
14)Quieter

Overall it's a better car IMO. Could use a few more HP on the 4-cyl. Am I missing anything?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
15) V-6 option available
16) Looks better than current TL
17) Looks better than current TL
18) Looks better than current TL
Old 06-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
get a V6. has 80 more HP than the 4cyl

personally 4cyl is fine me since its a family car.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by defconskylude
get a V6. has 80 more HP than the 4cyl

personally 4cyl is fine me since its a family car.

I had the v6 all quoted up for about $2,500 more then the 4cyl. I opt'd not to do it. I agree the 4cyl is fine, but with the added weight of the new chassis, they could have offset that with some more ponies. But so far i'm lovin the car..

Gotta do the DRL defeat tonight.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by fallacy
I had the v6 all quoted up for about $2,500 more then the 4cyl. I opt'd not to do it. I agree the 4cyl is fine, but with the added weight of the new chassis, they could have offset that with some more ponies. But so far i'm lovin the car..

Gotta do the DRL defeat tonight.
my DRL were re-routed to my fog lights.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I've had the 2nd gen TSX 4cyl non tech now for 2 weeks after turning in my 07 TSX with navi. I have to say it's a totally different vehicle and I mean that in a very good way. This car is bolder looking and the interior is a 110% upgrade as far as overall look and feel of the materials. The trim around the edges of the center console and also across the dash is great looking. The gauges are awesome looking. The seats are more comfortable and overall the car feels more put together. Yes, the car is heavier and that makes it ride a bit better. The dampening system is also nice. The overall power in sport mode seems stronger. You get the shifter down in 1st or 2nd and she's ready to go. This is a very powerfull 4 cyl engine and it's how it's tuned.

Gas is expected to go back up again after a fall over the last few weeks so a 4 cyl is a good choice. The V6 gets pretty good MPG as well but the 4 has a nice blend of regular driving and some fun driving. The electronic steering so far has not been an issue. I am not sure what is meant by it not being as repsonsive. The steering wheel is even nice on this car. The overall feel and size is very sporty. Yes, the XM stations seem to be a bit slow when chaning. Not sure if it's like that on the navi model. This car also tends to turn a few more heads than the 1st gen. Anyone notice that? I think this car is up there in looks with the BMW 3 series and Lexus IS line.
Overall, a great vehicle again. I tossed it up with going with another make and model for a bit there but ended up coming back to Acura.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
^Congrats on your purchase centflatsx, and welcome to the forum.

I have the car for two years exactly now, still give me a smile every time I start it up. It's a fun car to drive, the 6MT is butter smooth and I really like the idea that there are very few TSX in Metro Vancouver, unlike the IS, and 3 series.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like your happy with the car!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by centflatsx
I've had the 2nd gen TSX 4cyl non tech now for 2 weeks after turning in my 07 TSX with navi. I have to say it's a totally different vehicle and I mean that in a very good way. This car is bolder looking and the interior is a 110% upgrade as far as overall look and feel of the materials. The trim around the edges of the center console and also across the dash is great looking. The gauges are awesome looking. The seats are more comfortable and overall the car feels more put together. Yes, the car is heavier and that makes it ride a bit better. The dampening system is also nice. The overall power in sport mode seems stronger. You get the shifter down in 1st or 2nd and she's ready to go. This is a very powerfull 4 cyl engine and it's how it's tuned.

Gas is expected to go back up again after a fall over the last few weeks so a 4 cyl is a good choice. The V6 gets pretty good MPG as well but the 4 has a nice blend of regular driving and some fun driving. The electronic steering so far has not been an issue. I am not sure what is meant by it not being as repsonsive. The steering wheel is even nice on this car. The overall feel and size is very sporty. Yes, the XM stations seem to be a bit slow when chaning. Not sure if it's like that on the navi model. This car also tends to turn a few more heads than the 1st gen. Anyone notice that? I think this car is up there in looks with the BMW 3 series and Lexus IS line.
Overall, a great vehicle again. I tossed it up with going with another make and model for a bit there but ended up coming back to Acura.
+1

I like the that you can drive the 4-cylinder hard and sporty if you want, or you can do some easy cruising and get awesome gas mileage (32-33mpg).

I receive compliments on the looks of my car all the time.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Instructor

XM reception is also far weaker in the 2nd gen than the 1st IMO.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by defconskylude
my DRL were re-routed to my fog lights.

Instructions?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks guys! I drove her home the other night after a work gathering and had some fun in certain areas. This car is faster than the first gen in certain situations. This is all you need as far as power for everyday driving. The car feels solid and that's why I came back to Acura again. Great value as well!
Yes, it's true that you don't see as many 2nd Gen TSX's around and that makes the care more unique, however it's unfortunate that lots of the cars on the roads today blend into each other with the contemporary styling that is used. BTW: Acura is number two behind Porsche with the J.D. Power rankings for quality.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by centflatsx

+1, particularly on the gauges. When I have passengers in the car, that's what they comment on the most. I've had everything from doctors to kids in the car and everyone loves it, but not as much as I do the way I drive when I have no one with me!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
For those who also owned a 1G, how do the stock suspensions compare? I've only driven a 2G a couple times as loaners, so I don't really remember too well. It felt a bit softer and quieter, I thought, but what do you think after driving both for a while? My 04's suspension seems to have become quite harsh as of late, which is grating on my nerves, so for my next vehicle, I'd really like something slightly softer that can take bumps and potholes better - not cloud-like - but just a bit better.

I'll be looking at the wagon next time around since I need more utility, but the suspensions on the wagon and sedan should be the same, I would think.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:48 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
For those who also owned a 1G, how do the stock suspensions compare? I've only driven a 2G a couple times as loaners, so I don't really remember too well. It felt a bit softer and quieter, I thought, but what do you think after driving both for a while? My 04's suspension seems to have become quite harsh as of late, which is grating on my nerves, so for my next vehicle, I'd really like something slightly softer that can take bumps and potholes better - not cloud-like - but just a bit better.

I'll be looking at the wagon next time around since I need more utility, but the suspensions on the wagon and sedan should be the same, I would think.
i owned a 2005 and now a 2010...i think they both do a decent job of absorbing bumps. the 2nd gen seems quieter, for sure, and of course you know about the electric steering being more numb, etc.

if you want something softer, don't buy another honda though. they all seem to be stiff, across the board.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Instructor

some peoples mention 2nd Gen is quieter of absorbing bumps. I would say it depends the conditions of road. I drove to DC every day. I feel my shock is loud and very bumpy ride in comparison of my 98 Toyota Camry. of course road condition in Dc is sucks. I do agree Tsx is very stiff, b/c it is sport sedan. Toyota seems has softer shock.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Instructor

It's def softer/solid then the 1st gen. I leased a 07' for 3 years n now bought a '10.
Some of that ride difference is the larger width and length of the 2nd gen compared to the first. It's not so much softer, but less jarring more solid.

The steering is numb. I do not like it.

The torque/hp curve is completely different. More mid-high power and vtec doesn't kick as obvious. Less hp down low compared to the 1st gen.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I start? After owning a V6 TSX for the past 4 months and having my '04 for 6.5 years, I can honestly say that the 2010 is only better in a few areas and I still enjoy my '04 more even though it has nearly 98k miles now.

2G wins:

A LOT more power (from the V6 at least), which makes straight line acceleration a lot faster.

Real-time Nav Traffic

Waaayyyyyy softer leather

2G opps:

The 4-cyl version's engine just can't compare to the 1G's. The 2G's I-4 just isn't nearly as torquey(sp?) and sounds like it's gasping for air above 4k rpm; it honestly sounds no different than the 2.2L 115hp I-4 that was in my old '99 Chevy Cavalier. The 1G's motor is a lot smoother and sounds and feels soooooo much better at WOT.

Brakes, WTF is up with the 2G's brakes? My rear pads started squeeling like mad a few weeks ago just after the car turned 3k miles. The front brakes have just started clicking whenever I engage/disengage the brake pedal so I'm guessing the sliders are sticking and need to be re-greased. I thought the brake problems on the 2G were supposed to be eliminated on the 2010's and especially on the V6 models, which supposedly have a unique rear pad compound..

Handling, UCK! Far too much body roll. This problem is worse on the V6 models because of all the extra weight but even the 4-cyl loaners I've had experienced far more body roll than the 1G TSX's. Both 4 and 6-cyl models NEED bigger rear sway bars.

Steering, uggg. The power steering box makes a ton of noise at low speeds where the 1G's box was whisper quiet. Also, the steering is a lot more numb and doesn't respond nearly as quickly as the 1G's does.

This is trivial but the 2G's back doors don't open as wide as the 1G's so if you plan on transporting larger-than-average items, it'll be more difficult to get them into a 2G. I sold an older 42" Plasma to a friend of mine and I just couldn't get the thing into my 2010 were I could easily get it into my 2004.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nighthawk04
Where do I start? After owning a V6 TSX for the past 4 months and having my '04 for 6.5 years, I can honestly say that the 2010 is only better in a few areas and I still enjoy my '04 more even though it has nearly 98k miles now.

2G wins:

A LOT more power (from the V6 at least), which makes straight line acceleration a lot faster.

Real-time Nav Traffic

Waaayyyyyy softer leather

2G opps:

The 4-cyl version's engine just can't compare to the 1G's. The 2G's I-4 just isn't nearly as torquey(sp?) and sounds like it's gasping for air above 4k rpm; it honestly sounds no different than the 2.2L 115hp I-4 that was in my old '99 Chevy Cavalier. The 1G's motor is a lot smoother and sounds and feels soooooo much better at WOT.

Brakes, WTF is up with the 2G's brakes? My rear pads started squeeling like mad a few weeks ago just after the car turned 3k miles. The front brakes have just started clicking whenever I engage/disengage the brake pedal so I'm guessing the sliders are sticking and need to be re-greased. I thought the brake problems on the 2G were supposed to be eliminated on the 2010's and especially on the V6 models, which supposedly have a unique rear pad compound..

Handling, UCK! Far too much body roll. This problem is worse on the V6 models because of all the extra weight but even the 4-cyl loaners I've had experienced far more body roll than the 1G TSX's. Both 4 and 6-cyl models NEED bigger rear sway bars.

Steering, uggg. The power steering box makes a ton of noise at low speeds where the 1G's box was whisper quiet. Also, the steering is a lot more numb and doesn't respond nearly as quickly as the 1G's does.

This is trivial but the 2G's back doors don't open as wide as the 1G's so if you plan on transporting larger-than-average items, it'll be more difficult to get them into a 2G. I sold an older 42" Plasma to a friend of mine and I just couldn't get the thing into my 2010 were I could easily get it into my 2004.
lol did u test drive the car before buying it? If I had as many complaints as you do about the car I wouldnt have bought it after the test drive

Also, everything u said is the opposite of what I had read in reviews (except steering feel) before buying the car. Every review I read noted the 2G 4 cylinder felt faster with more midrange punch and its less noisy. The brakes are still same up front but 2G has bigger rear brakes and apparently the 2G has more interior room
Old 06-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, but it was still frigidly cold out with a bunch of snow on the ground when I test drove the car. It's hard to determine a car's true handling capabilities when you can barely push it because of poor traction conditions but that's totally my fault and I've learned my lesson, my very expensive lesson...lol

To deal with the handling, I'll just wait for a good aftermarket dampener to come out like Koni Yellow's or KYB AGX's as well as get a bigger rear anti-sway bar once one that doesn't require drilling the cross member comes out.

To deal with the brakes, I'll likely play around with different pad options like Hawk HPS's and HP+'s and if I ever decide to sell my '04, I'll take the Stoptech's off of it and put them on the 2010.

Last edited by Nighthawk04; 06-26-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by tsxuser
some peoples mention 2nd Gen is quieter of absorbing bumps. I would say it depends the conditions of road. I drove to DC every day. I feel my shock is loud and very bumpy ride in comparison of my 98 Toyota Camry. of course road condition in Dc is sucks. I do agree Tsx is very stiff, b/c it is sport sedan. Toyota seems has softer shock.
Every car seems stiff compared to a Toyota Camry. The Japanese Buick rides like a boat.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:14 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by Nighthawk04
Yeah, but it was still frigidly cold out with a bunch of snow on the ground when I test drove the car. It's hard to determine a car's true handling capabilities when you can barely push it because of poor traction conditions but that's totally my fault and I've learned my lesson, my very expensive lesson...lol

To deal with the handling, I'll just wait for a good aftermarket dampener to come out like Koni Yellow's or KYB AGX's as well as get a bigger rear anti-sway bar once one that doesn't require drilling the cross member comes out.

To deal with the brakes, I'll likely play around with different pad options like Hawk HPS's and HP+'s and if I ever decide to sell my '04, I'll take the Stoptech's off of it and put them on the 2010.
yeah, the brakes are a disappointment. they've never been Honda's strong suit, but they really effed up with the Accord and TSX. as for handling, it's a pretty well controlled body roll, but i would agree that there is still too much.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
35K miles on it so far, and not a single engine problem, much friendly on the brakes and overall daily driving compared to the last gen.

I think the exterior is way more aggressive like my G35, which i love most about this car.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hondu
Every car seems stiff compared to a Toyota Camry. The Japanese Buick rides like a boat.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The steering in the 1st generation TSX compared with the steering in the 2nd generation is what sealed the deal for me.

I went and bought the 1st generation.