whats smoother? Tokico blue or Stock shocks???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats smoother? Tokico blue or Stock shocks???

Hey guys, i have a 99TL with H&R Sport springs on it right now. i also have a set of tokico blue shocks lying around. Was just wondering what would give me a smoother ride? H&R with Tokicos or H&R with stock shocks? I dont really care for handling, cuase it handles awesome to me. i just want a smooth ride. close to stock.

if anyone can help me, that'd be great. thanks.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:40 AM
new wheels = old school

I'm almost positive for what you're asking the stock shocks will be 'smoother' with the H&R's. That is assuming they are in good condition and not blown. Might as well roll the stock ones since you want the smooth ride and then switch out when they go bad over time. good luck.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:03 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, i had stock shocks with comptech springs (first batch) when i bought the car used. my comptechs were broken in about 10 places so i swapped out to H&Rs with tokico blues last summer.

my personal take is that the car handled "smoother" on stock shocks and comptech springs. if had just replaced them with them same and beefed up the swaybars i think i would have been better off. i have CT swaybars now but eibach makes the thickest ones out there from what i found. i think i still might do that this summer.

SSTS
Old 05-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Instructor

My sister has a 91 integra on stock suspension. It handles amazing, and its not harsh over big bumps. My suspension right now is fairly smooth, but over large bumps in the road it hits hard. Its just the harshness over big bumps i hate. Can the tokicos possibly lessen that? or should i stick with the stock suspension?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:00 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by varunverma23
My sister has a 91 integra on stock suspension. It handles amazing, and its not harsh over big bumps. My suspension right now is fairly smooth, but over large bumps in the road it hits hard. Its just the harshness over big bumps i hate. Can the tokicos possibly lessen that? or should i stick with the stock suspension?
no, the tokicos are stiffer than stock. i feel bumps ALOT more with the tokicos than i did with the stocks. as far as getting a softer shock than stock i dunno which ones you would go with. maybe a monroe sensatrac or something comparable.

SSTS
Old 05-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I disagree with the last post. I used to have the old comptech springs with the stock struts. I always felt like the car was not stable when going over many small bumps at speed or over larger bumps (speed bumps). My car was embarassing when going over big bumps. my stock struts had about 90k on them when I replaced the setup.

you can see from my sig what I have now - but I really think the Tokico blues ride MUCH better with a slightly lower spring. The tanabie springs are basically the same drop vs the older comptechs. My car is 100% more stable and handles like it really should. I think the stock struts are very soft over their first little bit of travel - to keep a smooth ride over small bumps, but when you have a lowering spring on them, they are compressed too far and dont have the rebound characteristics to keep a smooth ride. The blues seem to be very even and can handle a lowering spring much better.

long story short - put on the blues and I promise, you will notice a much better ride.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
not sure what they are like on the TL but ive had bilsten shocks on previous cars and trucks and they vastly improved the ride of them. Might be something to look into
Old 05-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Instructor

i think i'm even more confused now :S
Old 05-12-2006, 05:46 PM
VS#03

The majority of the stock shocks and struts for japanese manufacturers are Tokicos. When I had my 01 Lexus IS300.....I installed Tokico Blues and Tein S-Tech Springs. When taking out the stock suspension, the stock struts and shocks were Tokicos. I would go with just changing the springs.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
i think i'm even more confused now :S
what are you confused about? Im saying the Tokico struts ride much better than the stock ones with a lowering spring