Tire rating

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 AM
2000 acura tl FPR

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Tire rating

Hey guys, my rims are almost finished at the powdercoater, now I'm getting ready to order the rubber for them. I'm looking at the GY Eagle GT and I see the W rated tire is $10 cheaper than the V. From what I understand, V-rated tires go to 149MPH and W go to 168MPH. Why are the W's cheaper? Does the treat not last as long? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
basically.
also look at the tread wear rating.
although it can get confusing as there is no set standard in tread wear rating.

brand A 200 wear rating might wear different than Brand B 200 wear rating
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
my recommendation....stay away from good years. the tread life sucks (i had them...awful tires....gone after 9k miles with an alignement). i would find something else. perhaps the nitto motivos? i dont' have them but the reviews seem pretty positive and they are budget friendly.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:58 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. I had some GY tires before and they didn't last at all - maybe 15K. I have had Pirelli P Zero Nero for the past year and I have gotten about 30K out of them and have not had any issues. They are near the end of their life now, so I am looking for tires again. I am looking at the Nitto, Pirelli and Bridgestone. Any other suggestions?? - yes, I love my TL and drive it A LOT!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Yeah, the Goodyears may be a good looking and sticky speed rated tire, but don't expect long treadwear life from them. But if ya have the need for speed and handling, than maybe frequent replacement cost doesn't bother ya ? I'd check around and compare other brands.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 PM
2000 acura tl FPR

ah, I was aware that high performance tires wore out fast, but didn't know the Eagle GT's were that bad. Any other recommendation? I saw the Kumho AST's were at a competitive price, I used to have Kumho ASX's and they were pretty reliable.

I'd just like something that's decent in the rain maybe light snow (I have my truck for winter season). I don't plan on tracking the car, but I would like grip around corners and such.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

bridgestone's 970's, conti DWS...
Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I bought some of the V-rated GY Eagle GTs back before the price went up. They had great traction in the rain & wet pavement-I liked them-they are a square-shouldered tire that wants to stay on the path it's on and doesn't have as quick of steering response as some, but they feel very well planted and connected. However, I only got about 25,000 miles out of them before one developed a flat spot when the tread was about 85%-90%gone. With those tires, I could punch it pretty hard on wet pavement and not even blink the traction control light-they would take off with no spinning unless you really hit it.
I replaced them with W-rated Kumho Ecsta 4X-they have quicker steering response and handle well,, but no where near the wet pavement traction of the Eagle GTs and don't feel as well planted. Hopefully they will last longer.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 AM
2000 acura tl FPR

Originally Posted by AlanW
I bought some of the V-rated GY Eagle GTs back before the price went up. They had great traction in the rain & wet pavement-I liked them-they are a square-shouldered tire that wants to stay on the path it's on and doesn't have as quick of steering response as some, but they feel very well planted and connected. However, I only got about 25,000 miles out of them before one developed a flat spot when the tread was about 85%-90%gone. With those tires, I could punch it pretty hard on wet pavement and not even blink the traction control light-they would take off with no spinning unless you really hit it.
I replaced them with W-rated Kumho Ecsta 4X-they have quicker steering response and handle well,, but no where near the wet pavement traction of the Eagle GTs and don't feel as well planted. Hopefully they will last longer.
That's what I'm thinking of going with. The Ecsta 4x's are really cheap, have better reviews than most of the tires in my class. I'm a very cautious driver anyway so when it comes to wet pavement, I don't play around, and I use my Yukon for winter driving. Not to mention Kumho has road hazard protection factored into the price anyway.

Edit: I forgot to mention the RE970's were not available in my size and the DWS were a little out of my price range.

Last edited by assclown; 03-27-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

if you think about the expense of tires...if you get a tire that is cheaper but with a lower treadwear rating you'll be replacing them sooner anyway. get a set of tires that are a few bucks more (say $20 a corner), but get another 20k mi out them...just sayin'. something to think about. the GY eagle GTs, initially are good, but they may die from premature wear in 10k to 25k miles...they get incredibly loud at the middle of their life. i was none too happy about their tread life. just fair warning. read some of the tirerack ratings and reviews...i won't every buy another set of GY again.

have you looked at the nitto motivos? how about toyos? i had a set of toyo proxy 4's. i liked those. handle well, decent in snow, great wet handling...decent treadlife. just throwing stuff out there.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 PM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I have GY Eagle GT's V rated and have about 20k miles on them, 3 years old and still have over 50% tread lift on them. Excellent rain, snow, and dry traction. I bash them frequently with hard corners, high speeds and Pennsylvania pot holes. They have yet to let me down. Low road noise. They have been one of the best set of tires I have used thus far.

We will see how they hold up, according to you guys these tries will start loosing performance after 25k miles. Time and mileage will tell.

The only other tire I have had better experiences with are Continental Extreme Contact DWS, these are truly superior tires in every category.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 PM
2000 acura tl FPR

Nice. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I went with the Kumho 4x. My powdercoat guy found a crack in one of the wheels so we're setback for another week, I'll report back once I install them.

I forgot, I did have Toyo Proxes 4 when I had my 18"s, they were good tires, tirerack didn't carry them though.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
my recommendation....stay away from good years. the tread life sucks (i had them...awful tires....gone after 9k miles with an alignement). i would find something else. perhaps the nitto motivos? i dont' have them but the reviews seem pretty positive and they are budget friendly.
You had to have had a bad alignment to have them wear out in 9k miles. I have had Extreme performance tires with a 140 treadwear rating (which the gts are no where near close to that rating at a 400) last more than 18k miles and had a few lapping days on them. I got 35k out of the Goodyear eagle GSD-3 which is performance summer tire (and to this day i havent driven a tire better in the rain either)

Last edited by fsttyms1; 04-05-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You had to have had a bad alignment to have them wear out in 9k miles. I have had Max performance tires with a 140 treadwear rating (which the gts are no where near close to that rating at a 400) last more than 18k miles and had a few lapping days on them. I got 35k out of the Goodyear eagle GSD-3 which is performance summer tire (and to this day i havent driven a tire better in the rain either)
IDK. i had the alignment done at the same time the tires were installed at a big box shop (which i have since swore off b/c they damaged my rims). the spec sheet was all green when i got it back. not even a year later, i picked up a couple of nails, and a different tire shop that i had patch/plug the tire told me that my tires were wearing down to the point i woul dneed new tires. i was like

even then, many of the reviews of the GTs had people with premature tire wear way less than what they were rated (40k if IIRC). i certainly wasn't expecting the 40k mi out of them but at least 30k (based on how i drive-i like cornering )! my brother had them on his wife's G35, and they were done after about 18-20k miles. there were others that got about 15k miles out of them. my brother also had the F1's on his G37 and those wore after 20-25k miles and they got obscenely loud.

my lesson....never go to big box shops because they don't give a crap. and my personal perogative and other people's experiences...stay away from GY's for an acura.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
: I got 35k out of the Goodyear eagle GSD-3 which is performance summer tire (and to this day i havent driven a tire better in the rain either)
Getting anywhere near 35K out of a tire with any traction on a front-wheel drive car that's driven spritedily is awesome!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
I had the eagle gt's twice both wore out in 20-25k miles and not because of an alignment. It was even wear all the way accross. It was a great tire for wet traction, although on dry pavement they would squeal like crazy when pushing them even slightly. Right now I have bridgestone re760 and it's the best tire I have had but haven't really tested them in the rain.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
IDK. i had the alignment done at the same time the tires were installed at a big box shop (which i have since swore off b/c they damaged my rims). the spec sheet was all green when i got it back. not even a year later, i picked up a couple of nails, and a different tire shop that i had patch/plug the tire told me that my tires were wearing down to the point i woul dneed new tires. i was like

even then, many of the reviews of the GTs had people with premature tire wear way less than what they were rated (40k if IIRC). i certainly wasn't expecting the 40k mi out of them but at least 30k (based on how i drive-i like cornering )! my brother had them on his wife's G35, and they were done after about 18-20k miles. there were others that got about 15k miles out of them. my brother also had the F1's on his G37 and those wore after 20-25k miles and they got obscenely loud.

my lesson....never go to big box shops because they don't give a crap. and my personal perogative and other people's experiences...stay away from GY's for an acura.
But it doesnt mean that it was done correctly or that you didnt hit a pothole or curb hard enough to throw it off (it doesnt have to be a hard impact to effect toe which is a huge killer of tires) most times alignments are thrown off the driver doesnt even realize it happened.

20-25k out of a tire like the F1 is about the norm for a tire with a mid 200 treadwear rating, especially with the majority of the driving in city or slight mix.

Also its not the "big box shops" as you call it that is the problem, its the people that work there. I personally bring my car to sears near me for alignments as they have 3 guys that actually care, take their time and do a great job and what i tell them i want (as i change my alignment often when i do lapping days and want different settings). I also bring my wheels/tires to a different shop as they have better equipment and mount the rim upside down with nylon jaw covers so that they dont damage or scratch the lips of my rims when mounting tires.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Stephen00TL
I had the eagle gt's twice both wore out in 20-25k miles and not because of an alignment. It was even wear all the way accross. It was a great tire for wet traction, although on dry pavement they would squeal like crazy when pushing them even slightly. Right now I have bridgestone re760 and it's the best tire I have had but haven't really tested them in the rain.
If you think that tire is good you should try out some of the other tires out there that are even better You will
Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

But it doesnt mean that it was done correctly or that you didnt hit a pothole or curb hard enough to throw it off (it doesnt have to be a hard impact to effect toe which is a huge killer of tires) most times alignments are thrown off the driver doesnt even realize it happened.

20-25k out of a tire like the F1 is about the norm for a tire with a mid 200 treadwear rating, especially with the majority of the driving in city or slight mix.

Also its not the "big box shops" as you call it that is the problem, its the people that work there. I personally bring my car to sears near me for alignments as they have 3 guys that actually care, take their time and do a great job and what i tell them i want (as i change my alignment often when i do lapping days and want different settings). I also bring my wheels/tires to a different shop as they have better equipment and mount the rim upside down with nylon jaw covers so that they dont damage or scratch the lips of my rims when mounting tires.
i hear ya. i know for a fact i didn't hit any potholes and i never drive over uneven surfaces fast. whatever it was...it happened. and i certainly understand that it's the guy behind the machine that is working it that gets things in spec. i sat there and watched them...they didn't give a hoot about what the hell they were doing.

only two places i'll go to...a local performance tuning shop or my dealer (yeah i know dealers get bad raps, but i know the guys there and they take care of me when i show up). if anything is wrong afterwards they'll actually own up. it's kind of like your sears guys. once you find places that take care of you and your car...then you keep going back knowing they'll do a good job consistently.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:01 AM

If you think that tire is good you should try out some of the other tires out there that are even better You will
Thinking about trying out the Bridgestone s04 in 245-255 width next.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Stephen00TL
Thinking about trying out the Bridgestone s04 in 245-255 width next.
I would try the Hankook Ventus RS-3 Dunlop Direzza ZII or the BFGoodrichg-Force Rival over that tire
The following users liked this post:
Stephen00TL (04-07-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 03:04 PM

I would try the Hankook Ventus RS-3 Dunlop Direzza ZII or the BFGoodrichg-Force Rival over that tire
Thanks i'll look into those
Old 04-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Just make sure to wear your depends the first time you go play