tein ss VS groundcontrol/koni

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 01:18 PM
im the best

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tein ss VS groundcontrol/koni

just wondering if anyone is riding either of these. im thinking about dropping my car but need to get adjustable due to the wonderful snow we get. anyways the prices line up in similar ranges so im just looking for some pros and cons.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:26 PM
TL-S driver

i have Tein SS's. I do not adjust the height at all, I dropped it about 1.5-2 inches and I leave it as that. It's not too low but definitely far from stock height. Keep in mind that everytime you adjust the height you would have to get an alighnment again. as you go up and down, the camber changes and you'll be forced to align them everytime.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Say,

I'm having the same dilemma as you (coilovers VS springs/shocks). Tein-SS would be 'ideal' coilover application, if you want closest to stock ride height/stiffness. Plus, you can go pretty low with it. However, I hear that us Midwest people will have use regularly adjust the settings because the threads on the coilovers are notorious for rusting (thanks to salt on the roads in winter). Those with Teins -- correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm leaning towards a spring/shock combo. Right now, I'm on CT springs/OEM shocks. Works for me but with the CT springs starting to show signs of rust, I'm getting them replaced. Still negotiating with the Acura dealership on what replacement to go (ie I refuse to go with Eibach springs -- camber issues with my Volk rims). Might go with H&R OE springs (50103) with Koni Yellows. Don't know if I'm gonna adjust anything on my car. I've even heard I can go with Tokico Blues (non-adjustable) and save a bundle.

Don't know if this reply helps any -- it might even add more questions.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:51 PM
im the best

hehe thanks for the input. i wasnt aware of the alignment camber issue on a raise/drop but it makes sense... good point. i may not ever raise/drop it all really just depends on snowfall and such. i just like the option if it was needed. ive heard some wd40 on the threads helps keep em fresh but who knows.

anyone know of a durability issue of the teins? ( are flex worth it? ) the only reason im wondering is b/c it seems that since its a single piece if there was some issue with any part you'd have to replace the whole unit versus just replacing the shock or the coilover in gc/koni setup. am i correct?
Old 10-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

2004 TL "S" type I'm on Tein KSS....(22 adjustments , I'm set at 17 ) dropped 2" all around ..It's firm but fun ......And as for the snow ..well..into everyones life a little rain must fall ....and if it's cold enough ..THE WHITE SHIT....
Old 10-16-2004, 11:45 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by derrick
Say,

I'm having the same dilemma as you (coilovers VS springs/shocks). Tein-SS would be 'ideal' coilover application, if you want closest to stock ride height/stiffness. Plus, you can go pretty low with it. However, I hear that us Midwest people will have use regularly adjust the settings because the threads on the coilovers are notorious for rusting (thanks to salt on the roads in winter). Those with Teins -- correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm leaning towards a spring/shock combo. Right now, I'm on CT springs/OEM shocks. Works for me but with the CT springs starting to show signs of rust, I'm getting them replaced. Still negotiating with the Acura dealership on what replacement to go (ie I refuse to go with Eibach springs -- camber issues with my Volk rims). Might go with H&R OE springs (50103) with Koni Yellows. Don't know if I'm gonna adjust anything on my car. I've even heard I can go with Tokico Blues (non-adjustable) and save a bundle.

Don't know if this reply helps any -- it might even add more questions.
derrick, how much drop for teh comtech springs? and how many miles on them until they started to rust?

i just bought a set of used suspension techniques, will install in a few weeks and will drop about an inch.

the H&R sport is better, OE only drops 0.75"
Old 10-17-2004, 12:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey Sam,

The Comptechs give about 1.25" all around (give or take) to maintain the 'raked' look of the car. Had them on since June 2003 ... 40000km. Rust on the rears but can't see any on the fronts (yet). Will wait until November or even spring to get them changed @ Woodbine Acura. Still talking to Paul about prices for springs/shock combo VS coilovers.

BTW, I don't want to go too low (ie Eibach springs) because of potential camber problems with my Volk rims (only +45 offset and 18x7.5" rims)
Old 10-17-2004, 08:42 AM
im the best

anyone had teins on for a long time? i think overall im more worried about durability. also ride height adjustment is (+.5 to -2.5) or (-.5 to -2.5)? if you put the teins on at their highest setting is there still a drop?
Old 02-21-2005, 05:30 PM
im the best

hate to dig this thread up but still havent heard anything and hoped maybe someone is using a groundcontrol + koni setup.

im in the market to get my suspension tweak outta my system in the next couple weeks and am debating the tein basic/ss or koni + gc.

the koni warranty is what's making this a tough decision vs the tein 1 year.

anyways any input would be dope
Old 02-22-2005, 12:22 AM
Cyberathlete101

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
shogun....."groundcontrol" is that d sleeve type????not coilover "unit" right???

i heard that thers problems with sleeve type setup because of d length of out back suspension is too long ...n tends to "crunch" up.....NE1 USING A "SLEEVE-STYLE" ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION THAT CAN GIVE US A BETTER INSIGHT!!!!THX
Old 02-22-2005, 01:45 AM
Racer

wouldnt suggest you get sleeve type coilovers since i heard they tend to blow up the shocks.
If you want springs and shocks, go with koni and h&r sports. You can adjust the rear perch on the h&r so youll be fine without a camber kit. Also, koni shocks got lifetime warranty.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:04 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Sleeve-type coilovers suck. A friend had Ground Controls and KYB AGX on his Integra, and it rode like shit. Go for a full coilover.

Derrick -- isn't the thread body on the Tein anodized aluminum? It shouldn't rust.

Well, whatever. I'll just have to wash the suspension more often.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you know your never gonna adjust the suspension, y not just go for spring/strut combo instead of the coilover. That was my whole dilema, I wanted the coilover setup(tein basic) but knew for sure I wasn't going to adjust it at all once I had it set at the height I wanted it. So I decided to go with h&r sports w/Tokico hp.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:14 AM
im the best

the height adjustment is something i like to have as an option. it it dumps assloads of snow or something i dont want to be the plow and this is my daily drivers so....

its good to hear that the sleeves arent very recommended as thats the info that i was looking for. i was thinking konis + springs but the thought above still makes me think the damper kit is the route i'm thinking again.