Tein S techs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:53 AM
TL ftw!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tein S techs?

Ok If I get brand new tein s tech springs would I need to buy some shocks with it also? I talked to someone on this forum and he said I would need to buy shocks if I lower my car because my car has 124k miles and my shocks are already out. Is this true?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
It depends on how many miles are on your shocks. If you have less than 25k miles on your shocks you might want to reuse them. They will last hopefully another 20-30k, although it depends on the roads you drive on and how aggressive the drop is. If you have more than that then you might want to consider getting new shocks.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Intermediate

i just put s-tech on my maxima they are great springs not too stiff and not bouncy but you are gonna need an adjustble shock prob a tokico illumna or kyb agx. going with oem they will blow in a matter of months esp if u got 124k, and just wondering are u on ur org tranny? once u get em on post some pics
Old 06-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
DEFINITELY buy new shocks. 124k miles on original OEM shocks?! You're paying labor to change springs ... why pay labor again to install new shocks? At that price, you might want to consider coilovers (eg Tein Basics). Just a thought.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Comptech Freak

coilovers > springs + shocks
Old 06-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by samkws
coilovers > springs + shocks

i would have to disagree it all depends on what he is going for, for auto x'ing tein basics or ksports, but if it is jsut for looks and he doesn't want the jarring ride like a go kart go with spring and shock it is pt less to get a coilover if your not using it as a track application if it jsut looks and daily driving go with a decent drop and adjustable dampening shocks my suggestions would be and s-tech, hr, h-tech, or even tokico blue kit.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by achebee4you
i would have to disagree it all depends on what he is going for, for auto x'ing tein basics or ksports, but if it is jsut for looks and he doesn't want the jarring ride like a go kart go with spring and shock it is pt less to get a coilover if your not using it as a track application if it jsut looks and daily driving go with a decent drop and adjustable dampening shocks my suggestions would be and s-tech, hr, h-tech, or even tokico blue kit.
The TEIN Basics do not have a "jarring ride". They are the one of the best street setups out there. Don't confuse a true coilover system like the Basics with sleeve and spring type coilovers. Those will give a bouncy, extremely stiff, and plain horrible ride. TEIN Basics are shocks (w/ an aluminum threaded shock body to adjust ride height) and springs designed for each other that will give a slightly firmer ride but not jarring or stiff. And the TEIN Super Streets allow you to adjust the damping of the shcok in addition to the benefits of the Basics to increase or decrease the firmness or softness of the shock.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by achebee4you
i have the apexi coilover and it's one of the firmer setup around...(firmer than tein) and all my frds who took my ride found it's smooth and comfort in daily driving...

my frd's G35 sedan has S tech springs with OEM shocks and the ride is horrible, and his shocks are about to blow up after just one year with the springs, and now he wants a set of coilvoers after seeing how my TL's setup