Newbie - reducing wheel gap w/o reducing clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie - reducing wheel gap w/o reducing clearance?

My 02 TL-S is coming up on 50K miles, so it's about time to start looking at replacing the tires. And, of course, I figure while I'm at it...why not work on improving the look at the same time! So, I'm thinking about possibly getting some new wheels when I replace the tires (get 'em both done at the same time).

Now, what I'd like to do is try and reduce the wheel gap a bit to make it look "tighter". And also hopefully get something a little wider as well (7.5/8"?). And a bit more "aggressive" look to the new tires (something like the Proxes T1-S or the Yokohama AVS ES100, although to be honest I have no idea what to look for outside the "look" I want).

What I'm mainly wondering is...can I reduce the wheel gap without "lowering" my car? (or at least, reducing the clearance...the roads around here suck, and my drive has a pretty steep curb). Also, is it okay to go with slightly wider wheels/tires? Anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks for any help! I love looking at cars, and driving them, but I'm pretty lame when it comes to the mechanics of it all...

- Leif
Old 05-27-2005, 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
um... hmmm...

there isn't that much you can do by just buying tires, i mean you could get taller tires, but that wo'nt do much but disguise it a little bit (not even a little bit - more like barely)... getting taller tires also will take away your "look" - everyone is going low profiles cause they look hotter. getting slightly wider tires won't hurt much. i guess if you want to get the wheel gap out, you gotta do it the right way. no choice but to lower the car...

ever think of coilovers - most are height adjustable..
Old 05-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
If you're still rolling on OEM rims ... you're limited with what size tires you can go. OEM rims are 6.5" wide ... that means 215 width tire is generally the maximum recommended. Now ... do you have a Type-S or non-Type-S model? Type-S has a 17" rim, non-S is 16" rim.

Lastly, buying a taller tire to reduce wheel gap is strongly not recommended unless the rolling circumference is not greater than 2% overall. If you go bigger, your speedometer will be off and it may affect the ABS system. No reputable tire shop will install tires like that.

To me, decreasing wheel gap and lowering a car go hand in hand. Good luck on your search.