Are my wheels going to fall off??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are my wheels going to fall off??

Wheel Spacers, yes or no?

I searched but didn't find the answer to my question so I am hoping someone can help calm my fears on this topic.

I went to discount tire to balance and rotate my wheels Saturday morning, and the guy working told me that my wheels could potentially fall off because I am using spacers in the front so they clear the brake caliper which has caused me to freak out and debate getting different rims in the very near future.

The screwed up part is I have had the wheels for 4 years, gone thru 2 sets of tires, and numerous balance and rotations and nobody has ever commented on them before.

So is it bad to use spacers on our cars or was he blowing smoke up my ass to try and sell me some new rims?
Old 08-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i wouldnt run wheel spacers to get a set of rims to fit because they were the wrong size. I would get the correct size.. That said though spacers are required on some of the Big Brake Kits in order for the stock wheels to fit.

If the spacers arent that big they arent a problem and id say No your wheels arent going to fall off. Especially if you have been running them this long already
Old 08-14-2006, 03:11 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Let say you spacer is 4mm thick, your wheel nuts are losing 4mm travel when screwed back onto the bolts. But will losing wheel nut travel make the nuts easier to come loose, only wheel and tire experts can answer.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
^ the guys with the bbk have been running 5mm spacers with no issues
Old 08-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Instructor

As an option, get longer studs for the wheels. This will be the cheaper alternative.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Used Registerer

Originally Posted by UTacuraTL
Wheel Spacers, yes or no?

I searched but didn't find the answer to my question so I am hoping someone can help calm my fears on this topic.

I went to discount tire to balance and rotate my wheels Saturday morning, and the guy working told me that my wheels could potentially fall off because I am using spacers in the front so they clear the brake caliper which has caused me to freak out and debate getting different rims in the very near future.

The screwed up part is I have had the wheels for 4 years, gone thru 2 sets of tires, and numerous balance and rotations and nobody has ever commented on them before.

So is it bad to use spacers on our cars or was he blowing smoke up my ass to try and sell me some new rims?
spacers are fine as long as you pay close attention to wheel torque specs. you didn't mention, but i'm guessing that your spacers are aluminum. aluminum is much more prone to cracking/breakage than steel, so if your lugs aren't torqued properly, you can possibly fracture one.

i'll tell you from experience, having a spacer go out on you is scary, but not life-threatening. your rig will just shake like it's got epilepsy.

if you're getting new rims, you might as well just get properly sized ones - then you don't have to worry about it at all.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Advanced

thanks for the input guys, I haven't felt any shaking from one going out but I am going to drive a little slower and will be in teh market for some new wheels soon. I really am partial to teh type- s wheels. Anybody have a set they are willing to part with, or know where the best place to find a set?