modifying springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014 | 04:02 PM
Intermediate

modifying springs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310080079707...84.m1423.l2648

I bought and installed this kit lastyear to realize i know have a rake look that i dont like.What are my options to bring the back down?Cut springs?

Below are some pics of the rake

Old 03-15-2014 | 04:18 PM

Cant stress enough on DONT CUT SPRINGS it will fuck up the entire suspension stroke..

You could neutralize by adding a subwoofer in the back or put something heavy in the rear to level out..
Worse case scenario is that you buy the H&R Spring set and do it right this time, "You get what you pay for"..

Last edited by Skirmich; 03-15-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2014 | 06:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Skirmich
Cant stress enough on DONT CUT SPRINGS it will fuck up the entire suspension stroke..

You could neutralize by adding a subwoofer in the back or put something heavy in the rear to level out..
Worse case scenario is that you buy the H&R Spring set and do it right this time, "You get what you pay for"..
I have all the high dollar parts on my racecar.
Being this is just a daily driver not a fine tuned track car.What can cutting a coil really mess up?
Old 03-15-2014 | 07:33 PM

Almost any spring in today modern cars are progressive and each inch of stroke really changes the hardness of the spring.
Removing a ring will remove the softness part of the spring make it stay all in the hard section of it, you will kill your KYBs faster because of this and the car will bounce like a guetto civic on the smallest bump.
I don't even have to drive your car to tell it must have a hell of a harsh ride, specially in the front.

You have a Racecar and install a half-assed suspension system made up by some dude on ebay on your daily driver?? Get some Tokico Iluminas and H&R springs and you will have tuneable system that wont touch the 700 mark.
The following users liked this post:
MS225 (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014 | 09:23 AM
Intermediate

Almost any spring in today modern cars are progressive and each inch of stroke really changes the hardness of the spring.
Removing a ring will remove the softness part of the spring make it stay all in the hard section of it, you will kill your KYBs faster because of this and the car will bounce like a guetto civic on the smallest bump.
I don't even have to drive your car to tell it must have a hell of a harsh ride, specially in the front.

You have a Racecar and install a half-assed suspension system made up by some dude on ebay on your daily driver?? Get some Tokico Iluminas and H&R springs and you will have tuneable system that wont touch the 700 mark.
I got about 5-6 grand in my camaro suspension consisting on chromoly adjustable suspension parts and strange dual adjustable coilovers and its all designed for 1/4 mile and my acura is just a dd.I've had the car for about 2 years and its been driven around 5k miles and on its 3rd transmission rebuild.I might not even keep it after i get it back from the transmission shop.

I completely understand what you are telling me about spring height and ride comfort and honestly the car has a smooth ride like it is.I just don't care for the rake look.What if i just swap the rear springs out to match the height of the front end?What rear springs go that low?
Old 03-16-2014 | 10:34 AM
Safety Car

Swapping out the rear springs is a low cost solution. Ride quality might get compromised with just the springs being replaced but still better than cutting them.
Old 03-16-2014 | 08:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nicks2001tl
Swapping out the rear springs is a low cost solution. Ride quality might get compromised with just the springs being replaced but still better than cutting them.
Clearly the front is lower than 1.8 inch's that it was advertised being.What rear spring would get me 2.0 or so in the rear and be a good ride.
Old 03-19-2014 | 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MS225
I got about 5-6 grand in my camaro suspension consisting on chromoly adjustable suspension parts and strange dual adjustable coilovers and its all designed for 1/4 mile and my acura is just a dd.I've had the car for about 2 years and its been driven around 5k miles and on its 3rd transmission rebuild.I might not even keep it after i get it back from the transmission shop.

I completely understand what you are telling me about spring height and ride comfort and honestly the car has a smooth ride like it is.I just don't care for the rake look.What if i just swap the rear springs out to match the height of the front end?What rear springs go that low?
So you are willing to spend that much on the Camaro but not 2-250 on a quality spring like H&R? Cutting the spring like above can greatly change its characteristics as most are a progressive rate at each loop of the coil. Not to mention how it sits in the shock. Finding just a rear set of springs as opposed to a whole matched kit will probably take you more time to find and try than just buying a decent set of matched springs.
Old 03-23-2014 | 10:15 PM
-Arsenic-

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
So you are willing to spend that much on the Camaro but not 2-250 on a quality spring like H&R? Cutting the spring like above can greatly change its characteristics as most are a progressive rate at each loop of the coil. Not to mention how it sits in the shock. Finding just a rear set of springs as opposed to a whole matched kit will probably take you more time to find and try than just buying a decent set of matched springs.
^agreed. Why would you want the car you drive everyday ride like shit and bounce around? No matter how many different ways you ask, nobody here will condone that ghetto shit.
Old 03-24-2014 | 06:13 AM

I lol'd.

this fool put the car on the drive way, where it's leaning. towards the front.
although, I do see the rake, you're exaggerating it by putting ass backwards on the driveway.

thanks for the early morning laugh

and do us all a favor and never buy ebay stuffs again.
Funny that you have a high dollar race car but I think your knowledge is lacking a bit.
which proves the point, money cant buy brains.
Old 04-02-2014 | 09:18 PM
Intermediate

Hey if it makes y'all feel better calling me names and disrespecting me over the internet go right ahead.I got it y'all are tougher and bigger and badder

My question still hasn't been answered with what rear springs(whole set)will level my car out with the front springs.
Old 04-02-2014 | 10:17 PM

I didn't call you names or disrespect you in any way and yet you seem to just ignored my tip then One of the biggest and oldest members in the whole forum told yah (fstty) and still ignore him...

This will be my last apportion to this thread: Get H&R Springs don't experiment!!! Heck its your car I Know you can probably do what ever you want with it, But don't ask here how to do half-assed guetto jobs because nobody in this whole forum will support it or help you do it.

Hope it helps you out! I'm out.
The following users liked this post:
MS225 (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014 | 10:38 PM
Intermediate

I didn't call you names or disrespect you in any way and yet you seem to just ignored my tip then One of the biggest and oldest members in the whole forum told yah (fstty) and still ignore him...

This will be my last apportion to this thread: Get H&R Springs don't experiment!!! Heck its your car I Know you can probably do what ever you want with it, But don't ask here how to do half-assed guetto jobs because nobody in this whole forum will support it or help you do it.

Hope it helps you out! I'm out.
Thank you for your advice.I will purchase a new set of H&R springs soon.
Old 04-03-2014 | 02:44 AM
Drifting

such rake.

Damn the front be almost or is tucking tire but the rear be having a killer gap
Old 04-05-2014 | 02:48 PM
Instructor

Quick question, since we are already talking about lowering springs and suspension. Will s-tech springs fit
These shocks?
http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...rut-Shock-Kits