lower car = faster car...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lower car = faster car...?

i lowered the car w/ the TEIN basics today, and i feel as though it is somehow faster..

is this true, or is it just in my excited little brain?

btw, the car handles amazing at turns and ramps.... i love being able to go 60+ on ramps and certain turns... wow!!!!!!! i feel so much safer.. no tire squealing too! this is my first drop ever since i can drive, never rode in a car that was lowered, and this first impression is crazy! i'm definitely lowering every car i own. rigth now its about 1-1.5 finger gap all around.. pics soon to come!!
Old 07-21-2005, 05:59 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It probably isn't any faster but the fact that your car now handles so much better in turns, turn offs, lane-changes, much less nose-diving and bucking movement during stops and accelerating, increased braking, and more vehicular stability is due to your lowered car. I felt the same with the Tein coilovers when I lowered my car also and and I am about 1.5 finger wheelgap front and 1 finger wheelgap back.

The fact that it is more responsive and able to move quicker, in the same, previous driving conditions, certainly makes the car feel more faster in general. I mean the acceleration is probably the same but the improved "movement" of the car makes it feel "fast" And every since I lowered my car, I also noticed my tires didn't need to work as hard to corner and handle, despite the lousy stock Michelin tires that Acura put on our TLs.

Advice: Just make sure you get your camber kit and alignment done if you want a "proper" lowered car. It's most likely that you need only the rear , adjustable arm camber kit and wait about 2-4 weeks for an alignment for the coilover setup to break in. The Teins coilovers will break-in and sink about 1/4 inch and then it should be set with no further sink-in.

You think your car handles good now? haha, put some good Comptech or Eibach sway bars and then you'll really think the TL handles superb like a truer sport-luxury car like a Bimmer and some good high performance tires. Plus, you'll thank me too.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Racer

Yup. I would definitely put the sway bars in, you'll really fall in love with the car all over again.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

oh man, can't wait for those sways...

working my ass off for more $$$$
Old 07-22-2005, 02:05 AM
Instructor

Hehe Sway bars will be well worth it and definitely notice an further step up for improvement; Sway bars will be a good incentive for you to work hard and you'll be happy in the end

Good luck
Old 07-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael03TLS
Hehe Sway bars will be well worth it and definitely notice an further step up for improvement; Sway bars will be a good incentive for you to work hard and you'll be happy in the end

Good luck
They are worth every penny. I would give up my Tein SS before I give up the CT sway bars.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Burning Brakes

how much do they go for? hard to find/install?

correct me if i'm wrong, but are there two sways? front and rear? if there are two but you had to get one, which would be the better choice?
Old 07-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Instructor

No they are not hard to find. The popular sway bars are for the TL are : Comptech sway bars or Eibach sway bars. I have the Eibach sway bars, 1 million mile warranty, red in color, 23mm thick in the rear in comparision to 22mm of the Comptech sway bars. Just to note: there were some concern in this forum regarding Comptech springs that had a "rust" issue, previous batch, and there was some TL member who had this Comptech sway bar break in half and he wasn't able to get a warranty on it which was kinda lame from Comptech after-sales support service. Obviously, some members had some concerns about Comptech sway bars rusting, especially if you have heavily salted roads in the winters.

The sway bars usually come in PAIRS for the 2G TL . Even though you can possibly change just the Rear sway bar and it would make a big difference already, it is not ideal because the engineers from those companies made them in PAIRS to work together for optimal handling, cornering. Even though the TLS, for example, front sway bar is 27mm which is the same as Comptech and Eibach, supposedly the aftermarket sway bars are thicker in the inside of the bars - less hollow inside in other words.

The new 3G TL , for example, only needs the Rear sway bar as the front is adequate to control the body-roll of the car and aftermarket companies only made it for the rear and not in pairs.

Here Read this thread: ( will answer everything you want to know including places to buy it )

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...bach+sway+bars
Old 07-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Comptech Sway bar snapping in half thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...bach+sway+bars