Cornering?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 02:54 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minkster,

Originally Posted by Minkster
The Tl-S already has factory sway bars. Are you recommending upgrading these? What about new bushings?
Sorry for late reply but I think Patrick already answered it for you. Yes I am saying that upgrading the sway bars will be the 1 modification that will do your Acura TL the most justice, especially in the handling/suspension category. This was my first modification and in retrospect, I have no qualms or regrets about it. It is a cheap modification and it is well worth it in a dollar vs. performance factor in deciding.

It will make you feel more confident and safer in driving such as taking corners, lane changes, faster steering response, vehicular stability and no penalty in ride quality.

Just make sure you don't get too cocky and do consider upgrading your tires because if you drive too fast and don't realize that your car "hugs the road" that much better after the modification, you can slide your car and lose control if driven aggressively; your tires will give way. The good thing about Eibach sway bars on stock tires, stock suspension is that it will literally make your whole side, front and back right-side tires (when turning left), slide out during a corner. This is what a "neutral" feeling is rather than understeer, where your front wheels slide out. The stock TL would never do this kind of behaviour as it would lose it's front end out first and not both ends of the car; both ends coming out together provides the best handling and stability in cornering.

Acura should be shot and or embarassed that they put such lousy tires on a so-called sport-luxury car; the stock Michelin tires on the TL are crap! so be aware of it. The Sway bars will force your car to be more "planted" on the road now so what gives away is the tires - they slip out because they can't grip. You are now having your car move more laterally or parallel to the ground rather than "rolling" like a wave along the ground.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:41 AM
shift@8k

if you want good handling without sacrificing ride quality...i would recommend sway bars and coilovers and set the dampening somewhere in the middle. the ride might be a little stiffer but you're car will be handling a lot better. Sway bars by itself will work wonders on this car, but imo without lowering the center of gravity you won't achieve the full benefits of it.
I've used both comptech and eibach sways and personally I like the eibachs more...I just acquired a used neuspeed "race" bar so i'm going to replace my rear eibach with that one soon....
a quick comparison of the 3 bars:
all fronts are 27mm. i've read mixed opinions on the eibach being solid vs the comptech just having a thicker wall than stock. imo the eibach was definitely heavier than the comptech so i'm leaning towards solid front.
as far as rear bars..
comptech-22mm
eibach-23mm
neuspeed-25mm
i'll post a review when I do to compare the three bars.

As far as springs/strut/coilovers go...few options.
spring/strut combo - i've heard that koni and bilstein make good shocks for our cars..do a search. i'd go with h&r sport springs or tein stech springs. The eibachs have definitely stiffer spring rates than the two.

Coilovers - tein ss is good...set the dampers somewhere in the middle and you have a ride thats fairly close to stock imo. If you want something more aggressive though, get something with a higher spring rate set up like the zeal b6 which are imo the best coilovers made for this car.

omg i typed way too much so i'm gunna shuttup now...hope this helps some
Old 09-06-2005, 04:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shinybluecls
if you want good handling without sacrificing ride quality...i would recommend sway bars and coilovers and set the dampening somewhere in the middle. the ride might be a little stiffer but you're car will be handling a lot better. Sway bars by itself will work wonders on this car, but imo without lowering the center of gravity you won't achieve the full benefits of it.
I've used both comptech and eibach sways and personally I like the eibachs more...I just acquired a used neuspeed "race" bar so i'm going to replace my rear eibach with that one soon....
a quick comparison of the 3 bars:
all fronts are 27mm. i've read mixed opinions on the eibach being solid vs the comptech just having a thicker wall than stock. imo the eibach was definitely heavier than the comptech so i'm leaning towards solid front.
as far as rear bars..
comptech-22mm
eibach-23mm
neuspeed-25mm
i'll post a review when I do to compare the three bars.

As far as springs/strut/coilovers go...few options.
spring/strut combo - i've heard that koni and bilstein make good shocks for our cars..do a search. i'd go with h&r sport springs or tein stech springs. The eibachs have definitely stiffer spring rates than the two.

Coilovers - tein ss is good...set the dampers somewhere in the middle and you have a ride thats fairly close to stock imo. If you want something more aggressive though, get something with a higher spring rate set up like the zeal b6 which are imo the best coilovers made for this car.

omg i typed way too much so i'm gunna shuttup now...hope this helps some
shinybluecls,

Great review also! I totally concur with what you've said and hopefully it will help the others make the right choices for their goal and expectations in modifications.