Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014 | 11:38 AM
Pro

Coilovers

So I've been mulling this over for years and I think I'm finally ready to sack up and bite the monetary bullet, my issue is that I'm not sure what I want. To clarify I've really latched onto the idea of F & F coils but is the adjustable dampening in the type 2's really worth the extra 200 or so or should I just aim for the type 1's? Any thoughts would be appreciated I also have a positing in the BM right now so if you or anyone you know is looking to sell coils Hmu. Thanks guys.
Old 07-17-2014 | 11:50 AM

F&F's are garbage! Lots of failing shocks.
they type-2's are better, however, if you're going to spend the coin, get a better constructed coilover.

either the XLR8 ISC's, Megans, or Tiens.
and dont forget BC coilovers if available.
Old 07-17-2014 | 12:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace
F&F's are garbage! Lots of failing shocks.
they type-2's are better, however, if you're going to spend the coin, get a better constructed coilover.

either the XLR8 ISC's, Megans, or Tiens.
and dont forget BC coilovers if available.

I would buy ISC's but I don't have a grand laying around. I'm on the fence about Megans had 2 friends have problems with their rear coils after only a year. I'm not that educated on Tiens how much of a drop could I achieve with them? Because they're more in my price range.
Old 07-17-2014 | 12:17 PM

I would have no problems with the tiens because I dont want to Slam my ride.
I chose BC coilovers for my 3rd gen TL. even tho, I have the option to slam it with BC's, I chose to stay at a stock-ish ride height
Old 07-17-2014 | 12:22 PM
Pro

I'm looking to be flush to the fenders. Can the Tiens or Megans do that? I looked for BC's couldn't find anything.
Old 07-17-2014 | 12:25 PM

I dont think BC is available for the 2nd gen TL.

I know megans have the ability to go super low.
and I assume the tiens can be flush with fenders, but im not sure.
Old 08-12-2014 | 04:53 PM
Former Sponsor

The TEIN's lower the car 3.4" in the front and 2.8" in the rear. They are a great option regardless of price. TEIN does a very good job of providing performance without sacrificing comfort and providing comfort without sacrificing performance. The Street Basis is a great option if you're just looking to lower the car and not have damping adjustment.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...?itemid=512848
Old 08-13-2014 | 01:09 AM
Advanced

K sports ftw!
The following users liked this post:
02type-s (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014 | 09:34 PM
-Arsenic-

I sold my Tein SS in favor of K-Sport and never looked back
Old 08-27-2014 | 01:14 PM
5th Gear

megan ez streets here, love them, have them set to the hardest setting, finger gap all the way around, rides nice and comfy and seems well built....give them a shot!
Old 08-27-2014 | 07:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ExcelerateRep
The TEIN's lower the car 3.4" in the front and 2.8" in the rear. They are a great option regardless of price. TEIN does a very good job of providing performance without sacrificing comfort and providing comfort without sacrificing performance. The Street Basis is a great option if you're just looking to lower the car and not have damping adjustment.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...?itemid=512848

Wow I'm a crappy OP, well I just got rejected by the stealership for inspection, they failed me for my switchbacks which I've had on the car for 3 years and never had a problem with and my struts because the front left is gas and the front right is hydraulic so ... XLR8 I'm gonna PM you about some Ksports because I would like some dampening adjustment.
Old 08-30-2014 | 11:12 AM
5th Gear

op post some pics of the install and some impressions, always good to have as many reviews on parts for our cars! good luck!!
Old 08-30-2014 | 12:30 PM
Pro

Will do, the guys at XLR8 convinced me to get the Tien Advanced Coils. So check back Thursday and I'll have pictures for you.
Old 09-08-2014 | 08:54 AM
Pro

Took a little longer than expected to get around to everything. They're fully installed on the car and it passed inspection and is now fully re-registered. The Tiens are nice they're still settling so I haven't got an alignment yet. They're a little softer than I expected even at full stiffness. However, I found during the install that my end-links are completely ruined at he bolts so I had to remove the old struts and install the coils by removing the sway bar mounts, I didn't have too much trouble re-installing it on the right side, but on the left I couldn't get the 14 sized bolt back in so it's not on the car it only seems like a secondary support to the sway bar anyway, I'll try again on Friday when I have access to a lift. You basically just pull down HARD on the sway bar until the mounts line up and your friend can jam the bolt back in and gun it down. The car isn't dumped yet it's just leveled because I need to re-roll my fenders so I'll take some pictures when I leave work today. So far pretty satisfied the only real pain during the install is that you have to re-use the OEM top hats and mounting equipment.
Old 09-10-2014 | 06:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KatabaticSaint
Took a little longer than expected to get around to everything. They're fully installed on the car and it passed inspection and is now fully re-registered. The Tiens are nice they're still settling so I haven't got an alignment yet. They're a little softer than I expected even at full stiffness. However, I found during the install that my end-links are completely ruined at he bolts so I had to remove the old struts and install the coils by removing the sway bar mounts, I didn't have too much trouble re-installing it on the right side, but on the left I couldn't get the 14 sized bolt back in so it's not on the car it only seems like a secondary support to the sway bar anyway, I'll try again on Friday when I have access to a lift. You basically just pull down HARD on the sway bar until the mounts line up and your friend can jam the bolt back in and gun it down. The car isn't dumped yet it's just leveled because I need to re-roll my fenders so I'll take some pictures when I leave work today. So far pretty satisfied the only real pain during the install is that you have to re-use the OEM top hats and mounting equipment.
If they feel a little soft now on full stiff, wait until they settle in. You're gonna wish you went with ksports.
Old 09-15-2014 | 01:15 PM
Pro

Maybe, but I can't look back. They're less stiff than my OEM strut spring combo but I don't think that's a bad thing actually. They're really smooth at highway speeds and just stiff enough to feel EVERY bump under 30mph. I posted a quick pic stitch in my picture thread that's also my avatar but I like it right now, probably going lower come Wednesday. I need spacers I think now. I've got alot of thread left in the back but only 4 or 5 in the front.. But man do I need an alignment.
Old 10-10-2014 | 12:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
I dont think BC is available for the 2nd gen TL.

I know megans have the ability to go super low.
and I assume the tiens can be flush with fenders, but im not sure.
BC Coilovers for Acura TL UA4 1999-2003 Part #BC-BR-A05

Also fits 1998-2002 Honda Accord and 2001-2003 YA4 Acura CL Base and Type S models.