Coilover Settings Pole

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:08 PM
2000 SSM TL-P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilover Settings Pole

This is mainly for people riding Tein coilovers, but all input is appreciated!
I just picked up a used set of Tein SS Coilovers ($300 shipped, with less than 10K on them ) I can't wait to put them on, but I am curious what you guys have your coilovers set on, ride hight, stiffness, etc. I am really just looking for a starting point since I got them used with no paperwork, and this is my first adjustable suspension.

1. What is your ride hight? (ex: 1 finger gap, 2 finger gap, 2 inches, etc)
2. Where are your springs set on the coilover? (ex. 3 threads from the bottom, 1 inch from the bottom, etc)
3. What firmness setting are you set on? 1-16 (1=soft 16=firm)
4. Describe your ride quality 1-10 (1=floating 10=way too stiff)
5. Are you running a camber kit/do you need one?

Finally: Any suggestions or advise you would give someone about to install Tein SS Coilovers. Thanks for your input!!
Old 01-10-2009, 03:16 AM
Volks FTW!!!

i'm not sure if this will answer your question, but everyone's different. with the ss's, you will have dampening control which is great. i'm not super slammed on my basics, but the ride quality is still really good. i'm more on the stiff side and that's what i prefer.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 AM
spaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stooop32
This is mainly for people riding Tein coilovers, but all input is appreciated!
I just picked up a used set of Tein SS Coilovers ($300 shipped, with less than 10K on them ) I can't wait to put them on, but I am curious what you guys have your coilovers set on, ride hight, stiffness, etc. I am really just looking for a starting point since I got them used with no paperwork, and this is my first adjustable suspension.

1. What is your ride hight? (ex: 1 finger gap, 2 finger gap, 2 inches, etc)
2. Where are your springs set on the coilover? (ex. 3 threads from the bottom, 1 inch from the bottom, etc)
3. What firmness setting are you set on? 1-16 (1=soft 16=firm)
4. Describe your ride quality 1-10 (1=floating 10=way too stiff)
5. Are you running a camber kit/do you need one?

Finally: Any suggestions or advise you would give someone about to install Tein SS Coilovers. Thanks for your input!!
great deal on the coilovers! $50 bucks cheaper than me
first thing i would do is make sure you have all the pieces you need. so take apart them completely and clean every piece up.

here is the paperwork that should have come with your ss
http://www.tein.com/tech_info/h94-ua5.html
just scroll down until you find tein ss either w/pillowball or w/o

i can't recall how lowered i am but its close to a finger gap front and back.
my firmness is at 8 front and back and i really like it
and i am not running a camber kit but i may need one when i lower it more in the spring.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:39 PM
T-Swzy

i got the SS on mine but one of the tophats where the damping adjuster is supposed to go is filled with something and i cant get in the adjuster.

so i'm riding on the harshest setting on all 4 corners and it sucks >.>

does anyone know if i can just buy a new top hat portion and replace the old one, or will i have to buy an entire new shock?
Old 01-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the adjuster is the little allen head screw in the center top of the shock unit
Use the special tool- its an allen with a green tein handle, or use a regular allen wrench~

Call tein in los angeles about spare parts, and whats a home repair or requires taking the shock itself apart for repair

they also have a good height setup chart on their site, go with their suggested starting points- about mid thread, and you will get a 2 finger gap with negative camber less than 1.5 degree- thats ok without adding camber kits
Info based on my 01TL- which likes 8 rear and 4 front on bumpy roads and 6-8 on the freeway for shock setting
Track days, you can crank them up full to 16,,, but way too stiff for the wifes comfort in town

Always go full right to 16 then back down to desired setting when adjusting
going less than 0 is bad for the shocks internals, so go full then back down to be certain where its at
Tein will overhaul their shocks if you ever need to in the future
Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 PM
III
prototype

when i had tein SS....

all the way down, no finger gap, still too high for me, so i bought the 2" shorter replacement springs for em, but never had em installed. bought air ride before then lol
Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Advanced

tegkid got one part right. start with Tein manufacture spec: http://www.tein.com/tech_info/h94-ua5.html

LeeDan00 got the other half right. setting is different for everyone. and the reason is simple. not only is everyone's car different (driver/passenger weight.. other modifications such as aftermarket wheels and tires... etc.)... but also everyone's driving condition is different (weather in cali vs weather in alaska... thereby also affecting road conditions and grip level)

recommendation:
take the car to a shop and have them install to Tein spec. drive it as is. or... if you want a personal tune... Tein spec is also a very good starting point should you choose to tinker. if you have another $200 bucks or so, you can even get your coilovers corner balanced.

i'd strongly advise against dumping the car to rock bottom. not only do you lose suspension travel / handling / grip which all equate to safety and performance... you also run the risk of bottoming out the car and suspension. busting $300 coilovers is one thing. busting your $3000 transmission is another.

as for damper setting.. the general method is starting at full soft (16) and increasing by 3-clicks stiff (to 13). drive around. see how you like it (depending on purpose). keep going in 3-click increments (to 10.. then 7... etc.) until you feel it's too stiff (ride quality.. wheel hop.. suspension / grip is compromised).. and back off 2-clicks to finish.

keep in mind tire / wheel selection affects this as well. tires are effectively a part of your suspension system, with side walls acting as part of your springs.

for reference...
i run F14/R15 for street.
at track it's F0/R0.
tires are 235/40/18 hankook RS2

best of luck!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:15 AM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
1. What is your ride hight? 0 finger gap all around
2. Where are your springs set on the coilover? F- 0 threads left R- 3 or 4 left
3. What firmness setting are you set on? All the way stiff F & R
4. Describe your ride quality 1-10 6, I sometimes want a lil stiffer
5. Are you running a camber kit/do you need one? Yes, but with my next wheel setup I'll be selling the front kits, and only using the rear kits to add camber

On Tein SS btw
Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 PM
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. 0 finger gap all around
2. After corner balancing...threads from bottom: LF=5, RF=1, RR=8, LR=6
3. On Tein Basics so N/A
4. I give it a 6, but sometimes I'd prefer softer.
5. Camber kit in the rear only.

FYI, I've bottomed out once and live in L.A. Scraping is another story >)
Old 01-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
1. What is your ride height? Tight 1 finger up front. No finger rear (17" wheels)
2. Where are your springs set on the coilover? Front all the way down. Rear 2 threads from bottom
3. What firmness setting are you set on? 11F, 15R
4. Describe your ride quality 1-10 6
5. Are you running a camber kit/do you need one? No. -2.5" camber

Frame is low to the ground. You couldn't tell w/ the wheels/wheel-well fitment