brembo brakes & installation !! confirm this

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005 | 06:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Talking brembo brakes & installation !! confirm this

is it true that a required change of the stock rims is necessary on a cl/tl (01- 03 )after installing the after market brake calipers, BREMBO brake kit to be exact i think with 13 or 14 " calipers with ss lines.
i was reading a comment on a dealer website saying modifactions
required
"Brembo 13" front brake kit
Includes: calipers, pads, rotors,
hats, brackets, ss lines, instructions
for years: 2001-03 CL Type S
installation time: 4 hours
Requires special wheel fitment
"

If so what is the best combo for the brembo brake kit " what brake pads would u recommend
Metal Master, Porterfield R4S or Competition.
Old 02-07-2005 | 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

the kit should come with pads. and as for rims, it depends on the rim design. some you can get away with 17" and others you would need 18's. it also may require a 5mm spacer
Old 02-07-2005 | 07:27 PM
Burning Brakes

the kit does come with pads however i had a lot of parking lot squeek so i changed to the porterfield r4s. no problems since. for the 13" set up, you need an 18" wheel BUT spoke clearance of the caliper is critical. comptech and/or tire rack might be able to give you some recommendations on wheels that fit. i went with o.z. superleggera's. i would think that many racing wheels (oz superlegs, ray's, etc) will give you the best opportunity for clearance. personally, i'm not a big fan of spacers but many owners have been fine with them. with spacers, you are changing the wheel offset. that can cause other issues with rubbing and handling if you are not careful. if you don't want to go with spacers, some trial fitments or great information will get you there.
Old 02-07-2005 | 09:11 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Any of the high end racing rims will fit. SSR, Rays. I bought a spare wheel from Rota. I found out it fit cause a lot of STi guys use Rota, just with a different offset.
Old 02-07-2005 | 09:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Titand19
Any of the high end racing rims will fit. SSR, Rays. I bought a spare wheel from Rota. I found out it fit cause a lot of STi guys use Rota, just with a different offset.

tHank, y'all for the info .
it should help . Rota!! i thught they made brakes or make be i;m thinking rotora.

well, so in conclusion , i think if what i hear is right . i should stay away from the spacers, probably wanna use 18s. that might mean i would have to change my aftermarket rims . i had just got some Mean 6 rims 18 x 7.5 with a offset of +42

rims pics and specs

(http://www.geocities.com/poision7200...an-6_black.jpg)
i hope i do not start spending more than i originally intended.
Old 02-07-2005 | 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Talking

Originally Posted by poisx7
tHank, y'all for the info .
it should help . Rota!! i thught they made brakes or make be i;m thinking rotora.

well, so in conclusion , i think if what i hear is right . i should stay away from the spacers, probably wanna use 18s. that might mean i would have to change my aftermarket rims . i had just got some Mean 6 rims 18 x 7.5 with a offset of +42

rims pics and specs

(http://www.geocities.com/poision7200...an-6_black.jpg)
i hope i do not start spending more than i originally intended.

i do not know if any have adapted this but instead of installing a new brake kit and all other hardware goodies that come with it . would i get any significant performance or improvement over stock just by changing my rotors to cross drilled and installing the ss stainless steel braided line replacing the rubber stock barke lines. .........................................
Old 02-07-2005 | 10:25 PM
Senior Moderator

i do not know if any have adapted this but instead of installing a new brake kit and all other hardware goodies that come with it . would i get any significant performance or improvement over stock just by changing my rotors to cross drilled and installing the ss stainless steel braided line replacing the rubber stock barke lines. .........................................
most on this forum have done this. if you get a good rotor and pad it will be better than the oem set up, but nothing will compare to a BB kit

as for the bb kit you will have to be careful what rims you get. you have to remember that the oem rims are a +55 offset. most with aftermarket rims are safe from rubbing with a +47 some have got away with a +45. go any lower and you will be asking for rubbing
Old 02-07-2005 | 10:51 PM
08 WDP TL-S

how much is the brembo brake?
Old 02-08-2005 | 02:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

brakes price BB

Originally Posted by Bread-A Spec
how much is the brembo brake?

price link

well according to responses from other peoples post and comments it was adviced to go with the rotora big brake kit as its a lot cheaper but u only get rotors and parts for the two front wheels thats it.
Old 02-08-2005 | 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

well according to responses from other peoples post and comments it was adviced to go with the rotora big brake kit as its a lot cheaper but u only get rotors and parts for the two front wheels thats it.
i may not be understanding this correctly but the brembo kit is only for the fronts only also. there is no "kit" for the rears. you can change the disc, pads and lines but changing the caliper or the disc size would be a custom project.

as for the bb kit you will have to be careful what rims you get. you have to remember that the oem rims are a +55 offset. most with aftermarket rims are safe from rubbing with a +47 some have got away with a +45. go any lower and you will be asking for rubbing
yep!

i had just got some Mean 6 rims 18 x 7.5 with a offset of +42
that's out there already. if you had to use spacers, you are looking at a +37.
Old 02-08-2005 | 02:42 PM
6G TLX-S

My advice is to try your rims first to see if the rears will rub or not. I highly suspect that you will need new 18" rims because 18x7.5 +42 offset will rub the rear fenders.
I have 18x7 +42 offset and the rear fenders just thinnly scrape the outside edge of the tires when the tires are new.
Old 02-08-2005 | 06:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
My advice is to try your rims first to see if the rears will rub or not. I highly suspect that you will need new 18" rims because 18x7.5 +42 offset will rub the rear fenders.
I have 18x7 +42 offset and the rear fenders just thinnly scrape the outside edge of the tires when the tires are new.

always good info here, all the time. so if u were me what would you do?

(1)i want to keep the brake upgrade project. say with rotora BB &
(2)i also want to drive on 18s preferably 18 X 7 or say 18 x 7.5, &
(3) IF I CAN I WANT TO AVOID USING THE 5MM SPACERS .
(4) I ORIGINALLY WANTED TO DROP THE THING A FEW 3/4 INCHES WITH HR SPRINGS, MAY BE I WOULD HAVE TO LET THIS ONE GO.

what tire or rims size would anyone recommend pls give wheel specs:
Old 02-09-2005 | 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

oz superleggera 18x7.5 +45 et is compatible with the brembo 13" bbk and the eibach prokit drop [moderate trimming (not rolling) of the rear fenders] and 235/40/18 tires.